This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
It’s also 2020. Why do I have to call a number? Why can’t I just complete the survey online?
bluedevilflame, phoenix liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:03 pm If you’re kind enough to talk to them on the phone, they will do a hard-sell on this book of alumni which is like 300-some bucks.
Why am I not surprised :lol:
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is an outside vendor hawking an alumni directory to raise funds for LU Alumni Relations. It comes from a call center guy who has absolutely no clue about the school asking questions about your favorite memory from LU.

Full disclosure, curiosity got the best of me. And for the record, I still have my 1994 directory on my shelf. It is like a time capsule of long ago addresses.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Hey, somebody’s gotta pay JR’s severance money :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: October 27th, 2020, 9:05 pm Wife and I both received. Hearing all this, I’ll still call.
You should ask them to tell you stories about their favorite SMGT Prof.
rtb72 liked this
Liberty22 wrote: October 31st, 2020, 10:34 am
puttincomputers wrote: October 30th, 2020, 2:18 am I guess there is trouble in paradise...
The only posts I see you make are about LU being in trouble and going out of business. Agenda much?
Yes, I want people to see what LU really is. Then I want LU to acknowledge it's real history. Then I want LU to make things right. Do I want LU to fail? No.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Top endowment schools do the same to receive funds for the future. Are they having problems also?
Actually, from what I have seen, big donor drives typically show financial issues or seek funding to meet a huge goal. Considering how LU is facing court costs, payments to Jerry, and possible fines, I would lean more to the financial problems.

Big buildings and towers are great for visibility. But, unless they draw a crowd willing to part with cash, they are sieve for cash due to maintenance. The property value might remain, but the cash has to be there as well. Considering how Jerry had all of us students AND alumni beg the State of Virginia to keep the tiny VTAG, I would suggest that the building of that tower was an inappropriate use of funds. Those funds could have been used to fund the entire ride of hundreds if not thousands of students.
By cruzan_flame13
puttincomputers wrote: November 5th, 2020, 1:29 am
puttincomputers wrote: October 30th, 2020, 2:18 am I guess there is trouble in paradise...
The only posts I see you make are about LU being in trouble and going out of business. Agenda much?
Yes, I want people to see what LU really is. Then I want LU to acknowledge it's real history. Then I want LU to make things right. Do I want LU to fail? No.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Top endowment schools do the same to receive funds for the future. Are they having problems also?
Actually, from what I have seen, big donor drives typically show financial issues or seek funding to meet a huge goal. Considering how LU is facing court costs, payments to Jerry, and possible fines, I would lean more to the financial problems.

Big buildings and towers are great for visibility. But, unless they draw a crowd willing to part with cash, they are sieve for cash due to maintenance. The property value might remain, but the cash has to be there as well. Considering how Jerry had all of us students AND alumni beg the State of Virginia to keep the tiny VTAG, I would suggest that the building of that tower was an inappropriate use of funds. Those funds could have been used to fund the entire ride of hundreds if not thousands of students.
That's my point though. There's a need for donation, which most come from the alumni. Of course there will be big chunks of donated money coming from a few specific doors, but most come from the majority who sends a few hundred or thousands once in awhile. Every school does that; not sure if majority of schools use a third party to verify their alumni though.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts

Another one looking for free/discounted education, or forgiveness of student loans. LOL
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote: November 5th, 2020, 10:56 am

That's my point though. There's a need for donation, which most come from the alumni. Of course there will be big chunks of donated money coming from a few specific doors, but most come from the majority who sends a few hundred or thousands once in awhile. Every school does that; not sure if majority of schools use a third party to verify their alumni though.
A lot of schools do have 3rd party groups do this. Most are not set up to do it efficiently. I graduated from a smaller university and they did the same thing many years ago. Quite common practice.
flameshaw wrote: November 5th, 2020, 11:03 amAnother one looking for free/discounted education, or forgiveness of student loans. LOL
Tell me, which is more important? A good Christian education for students whose parents are poor and are at risk of jumping ship from Christianity, or a huge pretentious building with limited use? I say the good Christian education is better.

Also note my statement about VTAG. Do you know what VTAG is? It's your Virginia tax dollars going to students ($1000 a year per student from what I recall) without many strings attached, and the money is never repaid. Essentially, Jerry was begging us to tell the state send him/the school money while he was boasting about how much the school was worth. So consider that in you equation.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
puttincomputers wrote: November 5th, 2020, 7:07 pm
flameshaw wrote: November 5th, 2020, 11:03 amAnother one looking for free/discounted education, or forgiveness of student loans. LOL
Tell me, which is more important? A good Christian education for students whose parents are poor and are at risk of jumping ship from Christianity, or a huge pretentious building with limited use? I say the good Christian education is better.

Also note my statement about VTAG. Do you know what VTAG is? It's your Virginia tax dollars going to students ($1000 a year per student from what I recall) without many strings attached, and the money is never repaid. Essentially, Jerry was begging us to tell the state send him/the school money while he was boasting about how much the school was worth. So consider that in you equation.
A couple of things. First, no one can "jump ship" from Christianity.
I do not live in VA, so I am not really familiar with VTAG. However, I am sure it is available to all students, not just to LU. My comment on that would be, if it is good enough for the State skools in VA, it should be good enough for LU too.
In the real world things don't work the way you might suggest. Big companies layoff people every day, while spending big bucks on facilities, sponsorships, advertising, etc. One really can't make it big in business by just being nice and thinking about others who are less fortunate. Remember in guy in Washington who was going to pay everyone in the company $77K regardless of position in the company? Last I heard he is broke. 8) 8)
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]