This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

LUconn - there is proof out there Prevo and the ExCom members were informed and knew. The real questions are if anyone cares and if there is anything that can be really done about it.

LUconn wrote: May 26th, 2021, 9:20 am I'm halfway through ep 2. As overt as the Falwell's apparently were even in front of strangers, anyone with a semi close relationship with them is implicated. Watch for the board to pretend they were always at a distance from them. They all have to go. Is there a mechanism for that to happen?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If Prevo and ExComm knew, doesn’t that blow the basis for LU’s lawsuit out of the water? The whole point of the lawsuit is that JJ knew and should’ve disclosed during last contract negotiation.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
How many on TRBC board are also on LU's? I think it was discussed and nobody even really knows who'snon thebTRBC board. Or maybe I missed it. But I imagine they're all just in charge of themselves. But we're super happy that jonathan is getting more involved! He's probably on both boards and knows jerry like a brother. So he's definitely clean.
Dustin Wahl liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I do not pretend to be well connected within the LU community but most on this message board were well aware of what went on in Jr's life. It actually has turned out to be worse than we thought but even if we were right and it wasn't worse, that alone should've been grounds for the board to make a move. How is it a bunch of message board posters are more in tune with what is going on than the board? I fear I know the answer to that but it just speaks volumes as to most, if not all, need to go.

But JP posts his thought of the day, so all is good.....
Dustin Wahl liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There are definitely more than a few odd characters on this board that most of us can't relate to. I don't like it either. But none of this is evidence that there's a conspiracy or major cover-up going on.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Dustin - I think you recognize that the list you presented of BoT candidates would be perceived as inflammatory by the board. While I am in the Mark DeMoss camp, he obviously is someone that would cause many on Jr's hand-picked roster of board members to bristle. Listing him first likely kept most of them from even looking any further. I suspect for some of the octogenerians who make up a good portion of the board, KSP likely generates similar concerns. For the record I personally am a fan of her work. Emily is respected by the faculty and still lives in Lynchburg and makes a ton of sense.

The issue now is whether or not the school attempts legitimate board reform including restructuring or whether they batten down the hatches like they have since last summer. The McFarland/Vines situation clearly demonstrates the answer.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It’s not conspiracy or cover-up in any overt sense. It’s shallow theology. I’m sure most of the board members think the best thing for Liberty is to “just move on.” Heck, I can think of a few posters here who have the same mindset and continually push for that. It’s the old mindset that the ministry is too important, so you don’t do anything that might jeopardize the ministry. There’s no room for grieving sin, lamenting, and ultimately, repentance.

What the board (and the whole liberty community) needs and has needed for a while now is sackcloth and ash. Since the board and leadership at large have been unable or unwilling to sacrifice financial security for spiritual health in the ways @Dustin Wahl mentioned, I’m worried that the Liberty community is going to have much more to grieve in the coming years.
Dustin Wahl, k9saber liked this
By k9saber
flameshaw wrote: June 4th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Whatisthetruth wrote: June 4th, 2021, 12:19 pm Image
Absolutely despise this kind of sophomoric :BS . This is a trademark of the old-time IFB churches. Need to get these old guys out of here yesterday, for lots of reasons. .

#truth

Meantime in the real world...as you hear the GC testimony of a former LUPD officer (2013-2019) named "Jason," pay very close attention. Truth is a weighty matter that cannot be shaken off by cliche' tweets.
Last edited by k9saber on June 4th, 2021, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rtb72
The best advice I ever got was from my mentor before a Command Staff meeting...."put KYMSAL at the top the your note page and refer to it often throughout this meeting when you get ready to speak". What's that boss? "Keep you mouth shut and listen!" :D It has served me very well over the years. I think LU Leadership might want to take this advice from some below them in the food chain.
TH Spangler, Sly Fox liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Our online program is crap, even with the good full time faculty having a hand in it. I just argued this with my father in law, who was a long time in campus professor and still works with the online side of the school. This is why I wasn't upset when the state pulled the VTAG money from online students. I do online work for another local school, and our online product blows the doors off of what Liberty offers. We put a lot of effort into building bridges with students who are not on campus and including them in regular on-campus type activities. Of course, we can't sell that we have the best dorms in the world or an award-winning sports program, but we produce excellent students with a better graduation rate than Liberty would ever hope to have. Hopefully, there will come a day when Liberty will meet the standards of excellence that state schools like Christopher Newport are already achieving. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Liberty would benefit from having someone like Paul Tribble at the helm
Last edited by rogers3 on June 9th, 2021, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NeoFlame
thepostman wrote:I'd have to look, but our graduation rate is pretty awful. 37% is the number I believe I saw.
You aren't wrong. Those stats in comparison with others at the same scale (online & not for profit & enrollment) stats would have been useful to help shape the argument and give proper perspective. They are pretty competitive --- at least the last time I cared to look which was a few years ago.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 8:18 pm Our online program is crap, even with the good full time faculty having a hand in it. I just argued this with my father in law, who was a long time in campus professor and still works with the online side of the school. This is why I wasn't upset when the state pulled the VTAG money from online students. I do online work for another local school, and our online product blows the doors off of what Liberty offers. We put a lot of effort into building bridges with students who are not on campus and including them in regular on-campus type activities. Of course, we can't sell that we have the best dorms in the world or an award-winning sports program, but we produce excellent students with a better graduation rate than Liberty would ever hope to have. Hopefully, there will come a day when Liberty will meet the standards of excellence that state schools like Christopher Newport are already achieving. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Liberty would benefit from having someone like Paul Tribble at the helm
I'm taking this comment to a new thread so I don't take this one off-track:

"I frequent these boards a lot, and often hear that LU's online courses are 'crap' and that other institutions do them better. I know the work that goes into designing, teaching, and refining these courses, so it's pretty disheartening to hear this. If you care about LU and the success of its students, let's get specific about what's broken, and let's fix it. Let's not be casual about it - over 100,000 students and thousands of faculty and staff depend on these programs being the best they can be."
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
With the Gangster Capitalism series finake focused on Prevo and the board dropping, here is an update on whom is in which position after the recent re-shuffling of the deck chairs of the Board of Trustees.

Chairman
Tim Lee, 70
Evangelist from Rowlett, TX - Trustee for Decades & Frequent LU Convo Speaker
(Term expires Nov 21st)

Vice-Chairman
Will Graham IV, 46
Franklin's Oldest Son & VP of BGEA - LU '97
(Term expires Nov 8, 2022)

Executive Committee

Harvey Gainey - Chairman , 78
Real Estate & Investment Broker - Former CEO of Gainey Transportation - Grand Haven, MI
(Term ends Nov. 2nd)

Carroll Hudson, 75
Lynchburg Businessman
(Term expires in 2023)

Tim Lee, 70
Evangelist - Rowlett, TX
(Term expires Nov 2nd)

Jerry Prevo, 76
LU President - Formerly Retired Pastor from Alaska
(Term expires in 2022)

David Rhodenhizer, 68
Lynchburg native who now pastors in Alexandria, VA - LBC '74
(Term expires in 2023)

Gilbert "Bud" Tinney Jr., 83
Retired Automobile Dealership Owner in Grand Rapids, MI
(Term ends Nov 2nd)

Dr. Jerry Vines, 83
Retired Pastor in Canton, GA
(Term expires in 2022)

President/Chancellor Search Committee

Gilbert "Bud" Tinney Jr. - Chairman, 83
Former Benefactor

Anthony Beckles, 59
LU Alum & Business Professor

Jonathan Falwell, 54
Pastor + Son of Founder & Brother of Dismissed Chancellor/President

Harvey Gainey - Chairman, 78
Former Benefactor

Carroll Hudson, 75
Local Businessman & Staunch JLFJR Defender

Dr. Richard Lee, Late 70s/Early 80s?
Retired Pastor/Theologian

Tim Lee, 70
Evangelist

Penny Nance, 55
Political Lobbyist

David Rhodenhizer, 68
Pastor

Duke Westover, 85
Loca Businessman

Those listed above are the ones with the power in regard to the crisis of leadership we are currently experiencing. The following are generally just an echo chamber of everyone above unless they happen to be on the Investment, Spiritual Mission or Audit Committees where they have a tad more say:

Brian Autry
Term ends 2022

Gaye Overton Benson
Term ends 2022

Jeffrey Benson
Term Ends 2022

Dr. John Borek
Term ends 2023

Don Crain
Term ends Nov 2nd

Jack Dinsbeer
Emeritus Trustee - Lifetime Term