This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
So it has become abundantly clear that Jerry has had his enablers over the yeaes. The BoT's hold a lot of the responsibilities for allowing everything to get to the point it has. Where do we start with them? Where were they the past 13 years?

Warren Cole Smith wrote a great article discussing this which was shared on Julie Roy's website and this quote stuck out to me. This is in regard to Jerry not being challenged when he told them he never broke any rules.
However, one thing he told The Post was at least half-true: “The board was gracious not to challenge that.”

I say “half-true” because Falwell was right that the board didn’t challenge him. The half that was not true was his use of the word “gracious.” That is not the word that comes to mind to describe the board’s behavior. Other words come to mind, including “wasteful,” “impotent,” and “cowardly.” The board’s unwillingness to “challenge” Falwell will now apparently allow him to walk away with $10-million in donor, student, and alumni funds.
https://julieroys.com/falwell-fiasco-board/

So where were they and what do we as alumni do? I honestly don't know.
Jonathan Carone, rtb72 liked this
By rtb72
I'm sure some enablers were more overt that others, but at the end of the day...it would appear those who pushed the hardest were brow beat into removal, i.e. DeMoss. That being said, there really needs to be a "house cleaning" with the BOT. Not to say some presently serving can't continue to serve....but they need to be re-vetted. With my understanding of the bylaws, would it be practical to have TRBC step in to facilitate a new BOT? There may be some who disagree, but I think Jonathan is a truly humble servant and keeper of his father's vision for LU. We need to get back to our roots...and it started with a vision and the church. Why not start back there?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 27th, 2020, 10:40 pm So it has become abundantly clear that Jerry has had his enablers over the yeaes. The BoT's hold a lot of the responsibilities for allowing everything to get to the point it has. Where do we start with them? Where were they the past 13 years?

Warren Cole Smith wrote a great article discussing this which was shared on Julie Roy's website and this quote stuck out to me. This is in regard to Jerry not being challenged when he told them he never broke any rules.
However, one thing he told The Post was at least half-true: “The board was gracious not to challenge that.”

I say “half-true” because Falwell was right that the board didn’t challenge him. The half that was not true was his use of the word “gracious.” That is not the word that comes to mind to describe the board’s behavior. Other words come to mind, including “wasteful,” “impotent,” and “cowardly.” The board’s unwillingness to “challenge” Falwell will now apparently allow him to walk away with $10-million in donor, student, and alumni funds.
https://julieroys.com/falwell-fiasco-board/

So where were they and what do we as alumni do? I honestly don't know.
Posty, I know that the BOT wrestled with the idea of not paying him his severance contract. However, the most prudent thing to do was to let him go and not drag all of this through the courts.
I suspect that in return, Jr. had to agree to some sort of NDA and is supposed to help with the transition. I am sure he may not add much to the transition, but just a couple of things that he may help with, will be worth the money.
I am not happy that he got the golden parachute. He deserved nothing. But, if you consider the time and money involved, dragging this through the legal system, it was a good decision to just cut the cord and losses and move forward with the healing process. The money is a rounding error in the overall budget. In some cases, it is just better to swallow the medicine and move on. From a purely business perspective, it makes sense.
If we can now purge the payroll of the no-show jobs, we can recover that money quickly. IMHO
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I get that, I really do. It is pretty common in the business world. Unfortunately, more and more is going to come to light in the coming days, weeks and months making it harder and harder for me to trust the BoT.

However, before any drastic action is taken, I fully support a thorough independent investigation and then go from there based on their recommendations.
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
They either didn't know the extent of his and Becki's behavior or they didn't care so long as their checks kept clearing, which is most likely. The newest revelations about Becki is even more reason why there desperately needs to be an independent investigation to find out the extent of all of their transgressions and how they may have used university resources to carry them out.

Trust and believe, the lawsuits will be coming.
Last edited by bluedevilflame on August 28th, 2020, 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Jonathan Carone
JK37 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 7:48 am JJ packed the board with his people. He empowered the enablers. And they enabled. And anyone out of line got whacked.

To whom does the board answer?
According to the bylaws - they answer to the Thomas Road board.

Jerry told the TRBC board that wasn’t true anymore while simultaneously telling the federal government that it was why the university was complying with Title IX.

Between Jerry’s lies and the university bailing the church out financially, the TRBC board either didn’t or felt they couldn’t do anything.
bluedevilflame liked this
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
The question is, is it right to cut your losses "move on" or should they be seeking justice at the cost of it being an unpleasant lengthy process? I know what a church should do, but I'm not sure what a Christian university should do. But then again, that mentality is how we got here.
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:The question is, is it right to cut your losses "move on" or should they be seeking justice at the cost of it being an unpleasant lengthy process? I know what a church should do, but I'm not sure what a Christian university should do. But then again, that mentality is how we got here.
I'd point to the scandal that Louisville is still dealing with from the Pitino years as a case study for what we're about to go through. I don't know how that looks through the lens of a Christian university, but it's going to get much worse before it gets better for us.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 28th, 2020, 8:12 am
JK37 wrote: August 28th, 2020, 7:48 am JJ packed the board with his people. He empowered the enablers. And they enabled. And anyone out of line got whacked.

Jerry told the TRBC board that wasn’t true anymore while simultaneously telling the federal government that it was why the university was complying with Title IX.

Between Jerry’s lies and the university bailing the church out financially, the TRBC board either didn’t or felt they couldn’t do anything.
Look who is on the TRBC board. It's a joke. JR, Jonathon, a member of the Liberty BOT and 3 local men who I've never heard of who apparently are members of the church.

I agree that this should be in the hands of the alumni and the church. I think there is a way those people as a group can be involved in reconstituting the boards of both the college and the church. Call it an election if you wish.
By LUAlum1215
At first I thought the BoT writing the check was just taking the high road to avoid the long court battles that were sure to come if they booted Jr. But now I can't help but wonder if they did it to save their own tails and keep what they know under wraps.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote:At first I thought the BoT writing the check was just taking the high road to avoid the long court battles that were sure to come if they booted Jr. But now I can't help but wonder if they did it to save their own tails and keep what they know under wraps.
I think its a combination of both those things.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: August 28th, 2020, 8:31 am The question is, is it right to cut your losses "move on" or should they be seeking justice at the cost of it being an unpleasant lengthy process? I know what a church should do, but I'm not sure what a Christian university should do. But then again, that mentality is how we got here.
Cut your losses. As I stated earlier transition out anyone on the BoT appointed by Junior. The rest should probably step down on principle. Over the first 12 months of the new Head Honcho taking over turn over the ENTIRE executive team, anyone named Nasser or Falwell and end any other nepotism practices.
It’s gotta be a clean break. Sure LU might lose a couple of good people but they will get rid of far far more toxic ones.
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 8:42 am Look who is on the TRBC board. It's a joke. JR, Jonathon, a member of the Liberty BOT and 3 local men who I've never heard of who apparently are members of the church.
Jerry is no longer on the board at TRBC. There are actually questions as to whether he was ever legally allowed to be on there in the first place.

From what I've been told, to actually have the TRBC board step in or for an independent investigation, there has to be an official petition started by alumni.
By LUAlum1215
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:01 am
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 8:42 am Look who is on the TRBC board. It's a joke. JR, Jonathon, a member of the Liberty BOT and 3 local men who I've never heard of who apparently are members of the church.
Jerry is no longer on the board at TRBC. There are actually questions as to whether he was ever legally allowed to be on there in the first place.

From what I've been told, to actually have the TRBC board step in or for an independent investigation, there has to be an official petition started by alumni.
Where do I sign?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 28th, 2020, 8:12 am

TRBC never even had a board of directors until JR needed it to renew their tax exempt status. They had a board of deacons, which was mostly ceremonial under Doc, who believed the pastor was the man ordained by God to make church decisions. The church board literally had no other purpose than to allow the university to say that they had the authority to remove a member of the university BOT, when in reality HALF of the voting members of the church board were also members of that BOT. :roll: Frankly, I would be surprised if they have ever even had a meeting. The fact that JR has been removed is irrelevant. There is no way that TRBC board as currently constituted should have any say in upcoming decisions.
Last edited by olldflame on August 28th, 2020, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
First, yes, JR being on the TRBC board is a joke, but having "3 local men who I've never heard of who apparently are members of the church" is exactly who SHOULD be on the board...it's a church.

Second, Jon, I know you're not the one who said it, it's just what you were told, but this whole business about the alumni petition, that makes absolutely no sense and I really doubt that it's true.

This is why it's so crucial to have the bylaws of both LU and TRBC, they'll answer all the legal and procedural questions. Institutions are bound by them.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:36 am
First, yes, JR being on the TRBC board is a joke, but having "3 local men who I've never heard of who apparently are members of the church" is exactly who SHOULD be on the board...it's a church.

Second, Jon, I know you're not the one who said it, it's just what you were told, but this whole business about the alumni petition, that makes absolutely no sense and I really doubt that it's true.

This is why it's so crucial to have the bylaws of both LU and TRBC, they'll answer all the legal and procedural questions. Institutions are bound by them.
You are absolutely correct in saying that those are the TYPE of men (in the generic sense) that should be on a church board, but the current group is obviously contrived, and almost certainly hand picked by people with the last name Falwell. Did the TRBC congregation vote on them? I can't actually answer that, but I highly doubt it, and even if they did, it was probably presented in such a way that it was basically a rubber stamp.
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:35 am TRBC never even had a board of directors until JR needed it to renew their tax exempt status. They had a board of deacons, which was mostly ceremonial under Doc, who believed the pastor was the man ordained by God to make church decisions. The church board literally had no other purpose than to allow the university to say that they had the authority to remove a member of the university BOT, when in reality HALF of the voting members of the church board were also members of that BOT. :roll: Frankly, I would be surprised if they have ever even had a meeting. The fact that JR has been removed is irrelevant. There is no way that TRBC board as currently constituted should have any say in upcoming decisions.
None of what you said is wrong in application. However, the bylaws still state where the power lies. So even though those things haven't happened in the past, they're the only way they'd get done in the future. That's the Catch 22 of Nepotism we're in right now.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:47 am
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:35 am TRBC never even had a board of directors until JR needed it to renew their tax exempt status. They had a board of deacons, which was mostly ceremonial under Doc, who believed the pastor was the man ordained by God to make church decisions. The church board literally had no other purpose than to allow the university to say that they had the authority to remove a member of the university BOT, when in reality HALF of the voting members of the church board were also members of that BOT. :roll: Frankly, I would be surprised if they have ever even had a meeting. The fact that JR has been removed is irrelevant. There is no way that TRBC board as currently constituted should have any say in upcoming decisions.
None of what you said is wrong in application. However, the bylaws still state where the power lies. So even though those things haven't happened in the past, they're the only way they'd get done in the future. That's the Catch 22 of Nepotism we're in right now.
I don't disagree, but for that group of (now) 5 hand-picked acolytes to make decisions about the future of Liberty in this crisis would be a travesty. Now, if the TRBC congregation were to start from scratch and elect a new board, with a minimum of about 10 members, I think they might be where they need to be to exercise their legal authority.
By Jonathan Carone
ALUmnus wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:36 am Second, Jon, I know you're not the one who said it, it's just what you were told, but this whole business about the alumni petition, that makes absolutely no sense and I really doubt that it's true.

You're right it doesn't make sense. No arguments from me there.

My understanding from what I've been told is the petition isn't actually in the bylaws. The petition would be to create external pressure to force TRBC's board to do something. The TRBC board is the only one who can enact real change and, given their make up, external pressure is the only thing that's going to move them to action.
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote: August 28th, 2020, 9:55 am Now, if the TRBC congregation were to start from scratch and elect a new board, with a minimum of about 10 members, I think they might be where they need to be to exercise their legal authority.
Disagree with minimum of ten members. Most boards have 7-9 members on average according to everything I've read. It's an indictment that ours has 33 members.

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.