This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: October 6th, 2020, 10:16 am Kelvin Edwards has been let go. Anyone privy to why?
Not sure if he left on his own, or was asked to leave. However, his main job when he came here recently, was to babysit Jr. They are/were good friends. Obviously, that is no longer required. He has some car dealerships in Dallas and other business interest there as well.
I knew KE was coming here some time ago, in some capacity. Jr. was looking a place for him to land, because Jr. has asked him for help/advice, for many years. (There is a reason KE's # was retired without the athletic department staff knowing about it). However, I was surprised at the TG hire, at the same time. I suspect there was some redundancy, having them both here to do the same job. But Jr. was desperate at the time and realized he needed some accountability. Unfortunately for him, he either realized it too late, or chose to ignore the help.
In any event, it is good to have TG here, great guy.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Quick Look at your key members of 32-person Board of Trustees:

Executive Committee
Harvey Gainey – Chairman
Carroll Hudson
Evangelist Tim Lee
Dr. Jerry Prevo
Dr. David Rhodenhizer
Gilbert “Bud” Tinney, Jr.
Dr. Jerry Vines

President and Chancellor Search Committee
Gilbert “Bud” Tinney, Jr. – Chairman
Anthony Beckles
Pastor Jonathan Falwell
Dr. Harvey Gainey
Carroll Hudson
Dr. Richard Lee
Evangelist Tim Lee
Penny Nance
David Rhodenhizer
Duke Westover
Ron Kennedy (LU Staff Liaison)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
To be clear there are staff liaisons with every committee with every committee except the Executive Committee where Prevo represents the administration.

It is interesting that the search is primarily driven by the membership of the executive committee that issentially the same team in place during the drama of last summer. And the chairman of the board is in neither key committee.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Anyone else curious why the chairman of the Board of Trustees is not included in either the Executive Committee or the Search Committee? His term expires in April so perhaps those running the show don't value his voice.

Half of the Search Committee is made up of five of the seven Executive Committee members without Prevo and Jerry Vines. But let's take a look at who is in charge of finding the next Chancellor & President:

• Gilbert "Bud" Tinney Jr. - Chairman
    Retired Chevy/Buick/GMC Dealership Owner in Greenville, MI - Realtor - Father of Another Board Member
  • Harvey Gainey
    Founder of Gainey Corp, a trucking company that went bankrupt in 2009 - Now Owner of Gainey Realty & Investment Co.
  • Carroll Hudson
    CEO - England Stove Works - Ardent Defender of JLFJR in the Media
  • Richard Lee
    Former Pastor - Religious Broadcaster - Longtime Board Member
  • Tim Lee
    Evangelist - 20 Years on LU Board
  • Penny Nance
    CEO of Concerned Women of America - LU Alum '88
  • David Rhodenhizer
    LBC '76 Alum - Pastor of Calvary Road BC in Alexandria - Father of LU Board member
  • Duke Westover
    Owner of DuCar International Tours - Doc's FormerExecutive Assistant
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Anyone associated with Lynchburg City Schools should automatically be disqualified. With all the top level hiring issues they’ve had, “liaisons” between Administrators etc. basically if they’d recommend something I’d be against it on principle
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
What I find interesting is that the brother of the last president who was forced out may be the most appropriate person on the list to be involved in the search. With Jonathan's position at TRBC and the fact he diligently tried to stay out of the LU situation for so many years I feel perfectly fine having the Falwell family represented by him. I am also good with Jonathan and some fellow pastors being involved in the committee based on the clear objectives to have the school leadership placed in the hands of those with an appropriate spiritual direction.

What I find troublesome is the number of Falwell family friends who are front and center. I appreciate the Michiganders helping the school financially back in the rough times. But this is not 1995 or even 2005. Their generosity was greatly appreciated. Their continued influence on the school is a concern.
thepostman liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let's take a look at the makeup of the search committee charged with finding the leaders of the largest demonstratively Christian university on the planet:

4 Retired/Semi-Retired Businessmen
4 Pastors
1 Former LU Executive turned Local K-12 School Administrator
1 Lobbyist

I can make legitimate cases for Richard Lee & Jonathan being on the search committee. I can live with Beckles & Nance to provide some different perspectives. It may be harsh, but the rest of the committee does not possess requisite credentials to be leading this effort. The conundrum is that the Board of Trustees as a whole in general doesn't have credentials to be serving in their role.

Now let's be open, what possibly can be done under university by-laws to unseat and re-establish board rife with nepotism and appointments that are clearly out of line with today's university? Perhaps the existing board of trustees could act as the group that finds the new board based on academic, spiritual and accountability standards.
JK37 liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
If Tim Lee and Penny Nance are part of the search then don’t expect change. Both Trump loyalists esp Lee. He’s just as nuts as Jr.

I hope McFarland doesn’t give in, he’s the only reasonable board member.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: February 6th, 2021, 3:01 pm Let's take a look at the makeup of the search committee charged with finding the leaders of the largest demonstratively Christian university on the planet:

4 Retired/Semi-Retired Businessmen
4 Pastors
1 Former LU Executive turned Local K-12 School Administrator
1 Lobbyist

I can make legitimate cases for Richard Lee & Jonathan being on the search committee. I can live with Beckles & Nance to provide some different perspectives. It may be harsh, but the rest of the committee does not possess requisite credentials to be leading this effort. The conundrum is that the Board of Trustees as a whole in general doesn't have credentials to be serving in their role.

Now let's be open, what possibly can be done under university by-laws to unseat and re-establish board rife with nepotism and appointments that are clearly out of line with today's university? Perhaps the existing board of trustees could act as the group that finds the new board based on academic, spiritual and accountability standards.
Based on past performance Beckles should be nowhere near this
Penny Nance is someone you need on a search committee for a view from that perspective
I also agree that Jonathan is uniquely situated for this committee because he doesn’t want it and will be very interested in protecting what his dad built. He will be more concerned with that than he will a persons history with the school
Duke Westover knows where all the bodies are buried. I like him on this Committee just for that. See it all, done it all, been through it all. Junior enabler? Probably. But I think he’s pretty loyal to the school first
Also agree with Richard Lee.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There is a huge difference between Trump loyalists and someone who voted for Trump.

With that said, this has very little to do with Trump and I really wish we would stop bringing his name into it. Jr's power was unchecked and that slowly negatively impacted his private life which then embarrassed the school publicly repeatedly. He used the school as a political and business venture to prop himself up and created a toxic environment. All of this was being enabled by many of the people on the search committee and the current acting president. That is what it is all about. Not the Trump stuff. Plenty of Trump voters seem to agree so clearly this had nothing to do with Trump.
JK37, Jonathan Carone, rtb72 liked this
By Whatisthetruth
I wonder if Logic still is advocating for "every decision is spot on, and he is wise beyond his years" Trey Falwell as the next leader?

RE: THE ONGOING JERRY FALWELL JR THREAD#603316
By Logic - July 3rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

Trey will do a fantastic job when the time comes. Now that Randy retired, Trey is pretty much running the day to day already, as is. JLFJR makes the big decisions and final calls, but much like with Doc and JLFJR circa 2000-2007, Trey is doing a lot already. For those worried about social media, take a look at his Twitter account, or the lack thereof. He hasn’t tweeted since September of 2017, and his account is private. His Instagram account is much the same. I don’t see that changing when he becomes President of Liberty University. He is focused on LU, and every decision he’s made thus far has been spot on. He is wise beyond his years and learned much from his father and grandfather.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Not sure if our friend Logic was just drinking the Kool-aid or if he actually knows something. I'm gonna go with Kool-aid on that one. Nevertheless, it's a legitimate concern, and needs to be taken seriously. That's why having Jonathan take over makes sense on so many levels.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: February 11th, 2021, 12:23 pm I wonder if Logic still is advocating for "every decision is spot on, and he is wise beyond his years" Trey Falwell as the next leader?

RE: THE ONGOING JERRY FALWELL JR THREAD#603316
By Logic - July 3rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

Trey will do a fantastic job when the time comes. Now that Randy retired, Trey is pretty much running the day to day already, as is. JLFJR makes the big decisions and final calls, but much like with Doc and JLFJR circa 2000-2007, Trey is doing a lot already. For those worried about social media, take a look at his Twitter account, or the lack thereof. He hasn’t tweeted since September of 2017, and his account is private. His Instagram account is much the same. I don’t see that changing when he becomes President of Liberty University. He is focused on LU, and every decision he’s made thus far has been spot on. He is wise beyond his years and learned much from his father and grandfather.
Referencing Sly's earlier comment on the rather low quality of Board member's credentials, I'd say the same of Trey. He should not be considered to run Liberty unless you are talking about Liberty Christian Academy.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I have as much chance of running LU as Trey does. I continue to believe Jonathon is going to be one of the 2 leaders. Unless Duke Westover is an Academy Award winning actor, he was not a Jr. enabler. I have no first-hand knowledge, but from what I have heard, he was quite the opposite, especially after all of the "stuff" came to light.
Last edited by flameshaw on February 11th, 2021, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 3:14 pm If Tim Lee and Penny Nance are part of the search then don’t expect change. Both Trump loyalists esp Lee. He’s just as nuts as Jr.

I hope McFarland doesn’t give in, he’s the only reasonable board member.
And you know this how? Have yet met all of the board members? Know any of them personally? Or just painting with a very broad brush, with no real intimate knowledge? To say that none of them are reasonable, with one exception, is terribly irresponsible.
I am sure no one on this board is qualified to make such a statement.
By Whatisthetruth
Only took four months to conduct and release the results of this investigation. The BOT should follow their lead and provide the results of the LU investigation in a transparent manner.

LU should also release everyone from their NDAs unlike what Ravi's estate is pulling - The late apologist’s estate refused investigators’ requests to lift a nondisclosure agreement (NDA) to allow the Thompsons to speak about what happened.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... -rape.html
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote:Only took four months to conduct and release the results of this investigation. The BOT should follow their lead and provide the results of the LU investigation in a transparent manner.

LU should also release everyone from their NDAs unlike what Ravi's estate is pulling - The late apologist’s estate refused investigators’ requests to lift a nondisclosure agreement (NDA) to allow the Thompsons to speak about what happened.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/ ... -rape.html
We get your point of view, but we also know you’re clearly here just to stir the pot every so often. It’s getting old.
By Whatisthetruth
Who is "We" jbock13? You also do not have to read my posts if they are 'old'. Are you advocating for just sweeping it all under the rug? Just curious as to the point you are trying to make.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]