This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: From a practical standpoint he's fine. And that's what I was addressing. But, from a puritanical standpoint, he's a disaster. So, I see your point. However, most people aren't purists. They just go out there and place a bet and see where it lands. The judges were huge.....so was the economy, etc.
I'm more speaking of how Christian support of Trump has impacted winning souls for Christ. Does it benefit that cause or does it hurt it?

But that's another discussion probably better suited for another forum.

Back to the board of trustees. They stink and need to go.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:49 am I mean, depends on how seriously you take “love your enemies,” “do not return evil with evil,” “turn the other cheek,” “pray for those who persecute you,” “bless those who curse you,” et. al
Sounds like you are wanting Mike Pompeo and Tim Scott. But they would win. 😉
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:57 am
paradox wrote: From a practical standpoint he's fine. And that's what I was addressing. But, from a puritanical standpoint, he's a disaster. So, I see your point. However, most people aren't purists. They just go out there and place a bet and see where it lands. The judges were huge.....so was the economy, etc.
I'm more speaking of how Christian support of Trump has impacted winning souls for Christ. Does it benefit that cause or does it hurt it?

The Gospel targets the inner man. It's an existential thing. It's got nothing to do with politics.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:49 am I mean, depends on how seriously you take “love your enemies,” “do not return evil with evil,” “turn the other cheek,” “pray for those who persecute you,” “bless those who curse you,” et. al

I know a guy who worked a night job while he was in seminary. One night when he was driving home, he encountered road rage. This indignant guy followed him all the way back to his house. Raged like a mad man on his front lawn as it turned physical. The seminarian protected himself and his family and kicked this guy's you-know-what. And only because he had to. The seminarian's wife was a nurse and they brought the agitator into their home and addressed his wounds. Even gave him something to eat. No hate, or revenge, or retaliation in his heart, only charity. Even shared the good news. True story. Judge for yourself.
TH Spangler liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: November 18th, 2021, 9:40 am
paradox wrote:
TH Spangler wrote: November 18th, 2021, 6:29 am A biblical worldview is probably more libertarian. I'm registered as independent. I voted for Trump because I don't care for either party and I considered him an independent. Both establishment parties have allow the communist Chinese to use the lure of cheap labor and poor environmental standards to steal most of our manufacturing. Now they're using their new wealth to control our corporations.

The fact that Trump supported Israel (secured the Abraham Accord), supported religious freedom and spoke out for the unborn was the icing on the cake.
Trump reached out his hand and said, vote for me, I'll be sympathetic to your cause. And then, he delivered. That's representative democracy. All the judicial appointments alone were worth it. Nothing is ever all good or all bad. But, you gotta place your bet somewhere. No use whining about the good ole days, when you've got a life to live right in front of you.
What you just described I would also call one of the biggest con-jobs in history. Trump convincing Christians that he's on their side. I can't reconcile a handful of policy decisions with the overall damage done to spreading the gospel due to the protestant embracing of Trump. But that's a story for another thread.
Hyperbole aside, is that President Trump’s fault, or the fault of Christians who so vociferously took the open hand offered?
stokesjokes liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Fault for what? Their premise is flawed. A true Christian can be friendly and charitable to both the guy in the red Trump hat and the guy wearing the BLM shirt. Neither represents Christianity, but neither negates it either. What cripples your faith....is a sense of superiority, coupled with a lack of understanding. Everyone has a story to tell. It doesn't have to be perceived as all good or all bad. Like most things, it's usually a mix of both.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 18th, 2021, 12:29 pm
paradox wrote:
Trump reached out his hand and said, vote for me, I'll be sympathetic to your cause. And then, he delivered. That's representative democracy. All the judicial appointments alone were worth it. Nothing is ever all good or all bad. But, you gotta place your bet somewhere. No use whining about the good ole days, when you've got a life to live right in front of you.
What you just described I would also call one of the biggest con-jobs in history. Trump convincing Christians that he's on their side. I can't reconcile a handful of policy decisions with the overall damage done to spreading the gospel due to the protestant embracing of Trump. But that's a story for another thread.
Hyperbole aside, is that President Trump’s fault, or the fault of Christians who so vociferously took the open hand offered?
I'd say both are at fault.

It hasn't impacted my faith, but I think it makes evangelism harder.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Does anything Trump related impact eternity and mission? Doesn't seem to make much sense to believe that unless you are under the influence of a false perception of a limited God, such as what JB Phillips described in the tiny book, Your God is Too Small. I trust that's not you. There's just people out there trying to mess with your mind. Don't let 'em.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
There’s a lot to unpack and I understand that people have different viewpoints on the role of God’s sovereignty on everyday life. I’ll just say this, I believe that people and culture have influence. We don’t exist in a vacuum and my decisions and your decisions can influence others in both good ways and bad ways. It doesn’t change God, but it certainly can change people.
Just John liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
There are extremists and fanatics of all sizes, shapes, and colors. That will never change. The only thing any of us can really do is avoid extremism and embrace temperance for ourselves.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: November 18th, 2021, 3:35 pm
JK37 wrote: November 18th, 2021, 12:29 pm

I'd say both are at fault.

It hasn't impacted my faith, but I think it makes evangelism harder.
Same but I think it has definitely damaged the credibility of the church. Hagee can say all he wants this traveling circus show that includes "we should only have one religion" Michael Flynn, delusional Mike Lindell, convicted felon Roger Stone and Pizza-gate promulgator Alex Jones, "if you wear a mask to my church I will through you out" Pastor Greg Locke, not too mention the Dr. who believes many female diseases are caused by women "having dream sex with demons" and many others of questionable character and reputation are "just using his church" but he wouldn't have allowed them to use it if he didn't have sympathetic views. Same could be said for Tommy Barnett in Phoenix and other churches that have hosted this crap. That's just one example of hundreds.

When you lay down with dogs you are liable to get flees.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:57 am

Neither. I would hate to think that something I/someone else did or didn't do, is too big for the God that loves me,to overcome.
His word says that our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life, before the world began. I have never read about an eraser.
Finally, I have stayed out/off of these silly political threads, that have sadly started on this board. I do however, find it very hypocritical that many, many, people are quick to wave the Christian Love Card, but call DT, everything in the book and are devoid of any type of love/grace they proudly proclaim.
Especially because it is almost all based on the guys personality. Frankly, I don't like his personality, I hope he doesn't run in 2024, (I like that guy from Florida better). But if one is put off by the actual policies of his administration, they have even bigger problems. I sure miss those mean tweets, cheap gas and virtually no inflation . 8) 8)
"And that is all I have to say about that."
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This has been hashed out for years on here. Nobody is changing their mind. Honestly, I don't even care anymore. I wish people I respected didn't try to justify Trump's awful behavior but most who post on this board don't do that.

Way too much focus on Trump from his supporters and his detractors. One thing I wish we could all agree on within the LU community is that the Board has got to go, like yesterday. Incompetence and ignorance have run wild and none or that has to do with Donald Trump. I wish people would stop bringing him into it. It doesn't help.

My 2 cents. I'm sure you all are happy. Back to dreaming about smoking meat.
ATrain, flameshaw liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If we went name by name down the board list, would they ALL need to go? Seems like a select few of the exec group are the questionables. And we know the non-exec board is powerless and shielded from stuff.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Nobody in their right mind would want to come in here, right now, and deal with their mess. There are people who want to redirect the university into something that it's not. They would gladly come in. But from a realistic standpoint, no credible person would want to take part in this. We don't even know if we're done being burned by Junior's decadence and sloppy leadership.

I'd be surprised if any of them are here after the smoke clears. The only exception would be evidence of subverting Junior's power with the intent of removing him.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 19th, 2021, 9:54 am One idea that I’ve mentioned before is to cut the whole board and let people re-apply for their spots. Not sure what the selection method should be, but that way people who want or should stay could.
So who would oversee this process?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
That’s a great question. If not done right, we could end up worse off than before.

However, this idea makes sense to me for another reason: our board apparently has a wacky structure and way too many people on it. This tactic is common in organizational restructuring, which we should do anyway.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:32 am
paradox wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:08 am

From a practical standpoint he's fine. And that's what I was addressing. But, from a puritanical standpoint, he's a disaster. So, I see your point. However, most people aren't purists. They just go out there and place a bet and see where it lands. The judges were huge.....so was the economy, etc.
Esau McCauley had a fascinating take on this recently, but I can’t find it. He said he wished that more Christians were willing to lose elections. Imagine a Christian candidate that was meek and compassionate and showed the fruit of the Spirit. They might get decimated in an election, but we would become a people who lived and voted their values, even if it cost us. What a witness that would be.
Horrible world view. Great if you are in a Ministry though. But losing is not usually a great idea. Claiming a “Moral Victory” doesn’t get bills or legislation passed that you want.
flameshaw liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 19th, 2021, 11:27 am
stokesjokes wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:32 am
paradox wrote: November 18th, 2021, 10:08 am

From a practical standpoint he's fine. And that's what I was addressing. But, from a puritanical standpoint, he's a disaster. So, I see your point. However, most people aren't purists. They just go out there and place a bet and see where it lands. The judges were huge.....so was the economy, etc.
Esau McCauley had a fascinating take on this recently, but I can’t find it. He said he wished that more Christians were willing to lose elections. Imagine a Christian candidate that was meek and compassionate and showed the fruit of the Spirit. They might get decimated in an election, but we would become a people who lived and voted their values, even if it cost us. What a witness that would be.
Horrible world view. Great if you are in a Ministry though. But losing is not usually a great idea. Claiming a “Moral Victory” doesn’t get bills or legislation passed that you want.
Why not apply that premise to our entire life? Why limit it to politics? Maybe we should go out tomorrow, on the football field, be meek and mild and compassionate and show the fruit of the Spirit to those great guys from Louisiana? Yes, we would be decimated, but just think how much they would respect us and think that we are great Christians. smh. :roll: :roll:
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]