This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
that’s not a good comp at all. You can play hard without being an a-hole.

But you guys are proving my point here- what good are Christian principles if you are willing to abandon them as soon as it might cost you something?

If you only want the fruit of the spirit when it suits you, then you don’t actually want the fruit of the spirit.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Throughout the entire history of Christendom, you'd be hard pressed to find any serious commentary that would support your interpretation.....if we can even call it that.

With the lone exception of what I posted earlier about Tony Campolo, I don't think I can remember ever hearing anyone seriously misread what's clearly about heart intention and abstaining from vindication.....and instead, conclude that there's something corrupt and dirty with self-preservation, self-defense, sports competition......or whatever else you decide to tag on to this line of thinking.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think you’re misreading what I said. I didn’t say Christians trying to lose, I said Christians willing to lose and standing by their Christian character even if it means losing.

And if Tony Campolo is your only reference point, you must have an immensely narrow exposure to christian theology. These are ideas that are present since the early church fathers. There’s a reason we venerate martyrs, and it’s not because they died in battle.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Don't get me wrong. You're certainly entitled to view it that way. But to somehow impose it as a higher spiritual ideal is kind of excessive. And as far as martyrs go. This has nothing to do with that. martyrdom is something altogether different. An entirely different subject.
flameshaw liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 19th, 2021, 9:57 pm I think you’re misreading what I said. I didn’t say Christians trying to lose, I said Christians willing to lose and standing by their Christian character even if it means losing.

And if Tony Campolo is your only reference point, you must have an immensely narrow exposure to christian theology. These are ideas that are present since the early church fathers. There’s a reason we venerate martyrs, and it’s not because they died in battle.
Martyrs for the Faith You are confusing politics with Faith
flameshaw liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’m not. My point is we venerate them for keeping the faith, even when it costs them everything. Why are you willing to excuse Christians throwing away their Christian principles when all it would cost is an election?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 20th, 2021, 8:19 am I’m not. My point is we venerate them for keeping the faith, even when it costs them everything. Why are you willing to excuse Christians throwing away their Christian principles when all it would cost is an election?
I would question why a Christian is that situation would want to run for office. Further, you are being going to be awfully subjective in defining what is and is not acceptable behavior. Heck we can’t even agree on what Christian Principles are here. How is that gonna work on a National Level?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Some things are gray, a lot of things aren’t. I think it would do much more for the witness of the church to remain Christ-like in the face of losing than to become un-Christ-like in pursuit of political victory.

Imagine if the country knew we were Christians by our love, what a concept.
ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 20th, 2021, 9:24 am Some things are gray, a lot of things aren’t. I think it would do much more for the witness of the church to remain Christ-like in the face of losing than to become un-Christ-like in pursuit of political victory.

We don’t disagree on that. But you’re asking we fight with one hand tied behind our back because *someone* might misinterpret or take offense. Yes, watching your wife bang a pool boy while you watch off in the corner in your speedo is going to be criticized by people if that person claims to be Christian. But if that person is running for office, not claiming to be a Christian, but supports my freedom to worship while their opponent is hostile to my beliefs and religion, I’m going with Mr Speedo.
flameshaw, LUOrange liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 20th, 2021, 9:41 am
stokesjokes wrote: November 20th, 2021, 9:24 am Some things are gray, a lot of things aren’t. I think it would do much more for the witness of the church to remain Christ-like in the face of losing than to become un-Christ-like in pursuit of political victory.

We don’t disagree on that. But you’re asking we fight with one hand tied behind our back because *someone* might misinterpret or take offense. Yes, watching your wife bang a pool boy while you watch off in the corner in your speedo is going to be criticized by people if that person claims to be Christian. But if that person is running for office, not claiming to be a Christian, but supports my freedom to worship while their opponent is hostile to my beliefs and religion, I’m going with Mr Speedo.

As rumor has it, the original attire of choice was actually not a speedo, but a thong. It was only when the thong started irritating his hemorrhoids, that an executive decision was made toward the use of a speedo.

Taking this back to the original topic....I have found the speedo to be quite useful when evangelizing French Canadians on the beach. I have also found it to be most beneficial to use a generous amount of shiney oil-based sun lotion. And be sure to always wish them a Dieu when you part ways. They like that.
Purple Haize liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 20th, 2021, 9:41 am

This ^^^
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You placed it preperly based on the title of this thread.

Here is a podcast that David French has produced on Liberty.

I am stunned that our board of Trustees can stand even bear the weight of their lack of oversight at this stage. But I am sure they see this as "the world" coming against them in a martyr complex. If they haven't noticed yet, ut is primarily the Liberty community who is coming against Prevo and the board. They have helplessly lost their way and are clueless how to remedy the situation.
rtb72 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
One could argue that much of what we know as evangelicalism today has been been shaped by “us vs them” theology, where we draw lines around who’s in and who’s out and declare that anyone who is out is an enemy who either needs to be attacked or defended against. It’s the crux of culture-war mentality that has been central to our particular strain of Christianity at least since the foundation of the moral majority (better traced back to the fundamentalist/modernist controversy). The acting president and the board seem to see these scandals through this lens and are drawing tighter and tighter lines around themselves.

The other aspect of this that I don’t think has been talked about as much but is definitely underlying Prevo and the board’s decision-making: something called soft-prosperity theology. It’s laced through all the public statements made by Prevo and the board, which is ironic, since LU is the place where I learned about the dangers of prosperity theology.

Prosperity theology says if you’re following God well, donating to the right ministries, etc, God will bless you financially. Listen to everything the board and Prevo say. They believe the inverse of this is true: enrollment is up, the coffers are full, so we must be righteous and have God’s blessing. The latter is just as rotten as the former and IMO is more insidious and widespread in the evangelical church.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You bring up some good points and have brought the discussion back to the original premise of the thread.

It is my perception of the board is that they believe they are being faithful to the vision and legacy of Doc. What they don't seem to recognize is that Doc for all his over the top personality was actually a very compassionate man. Prevo & Lee seem more intent on defending their political beliefs than recognizing the damage they are doing to the reputation of Christianity. They appear to believe that those of us in the LU community who are speaking out are the forces of evil. I would suggest it might be time for them to look in the mirror and then re-listen to the words they have been speaking.
By rtb72
Sly Fox wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 12:24 pm You bring up some good points and have brought the discussion back to the original premise of the thread.

It is my perception of the board is that they believe they are being faithful to the vision and legacy of Doc. What they don't seem to recognize is that Doc for all his over the top personality was actually a very compassionate man. Prevo & Lee seem more intent on defending their political beliefs than recognizing the damage they are doing to the reputation of Christianity. They appear to believe that those of us in the LU community who are speaking out are the forces of evil. I would suggest it might be time for them to look in the mirror and then re-listen to the words they have been speaking.
But Jonathan and any board member who still has a scintilla of loyalty or discernment to LU's true mission should know better. Correction: I think they DO know better. If it was my father's vision being imploded by sin and corruption, I'd be on the mountain tops....even if I didn't have the authority or ability to make certain change. Influence is a powerful resource.

Not that my opinion matters a bit to any of the leadership, I have always respected Jonathan, but the longer this goes on with no visible signs of intervention or remedy, well.....

I'm hopeful there are things happening we just don't know about. Positive things.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 12:24 pm You bring up some good points and have brought the discussion back to the original premise of the thread.

I think the reason I bring up the soft-prosperity perspective is because I think they see the high enrollment and high endowment figures as confirmation that they are being faithful to Doc’s vision, when they are being unfaithful to it in other ways.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 1:25 pm

I think the reason I bring up the soft-prosperity perspective is because I think they see the high enrollment and high endowment figures as confirmation that they are being faithful to Doc’s vision, when they are being unfaithful to it in other ways.
If the measure of faithfulness to Doc's vision is a high endowment, then Doc really fell short, didn't he? :roll:
Sly Fox liked this
By Whatisthetruth

Sly, anyone speaking out against Prevo, Lee, Gainey, etc., are threatening their position of influence, access to LU's money, and the associated power with their positions.

Therefore, anyone opposing them will be called enemies of LU, anti-LU co-conspirators, liberals, and evil. LU will threaten to sue, threaten to throw people in jail, have the meanest lawyer in NY come after them, etc. Nothing will change because there is too much money and power at stake.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Worse yet, they are the very definition of thought criminals. Corrupting the minds of the young with the teachings of Emmanuel Goldstein. It's not too late. Save yourselves, lest you be ensnared by their devices.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 22nd, 2021, 12:58 pm Need to name a new permanent president, and not drag the search out, for months or years.
You’re right. There are like 100 things that have to happen. And in a particular order. We’re on number 8, you’re talking about number 91.

No permanent President worth a darn wants to lead LU at the present moment.

Any President named by this board doesn’t change a thing.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
JK37 - Sadly I believe Prevo and the board are counting on this situation. Yes, we are not likely to attract quality candidates at this time. But honestly that is primarily the fault of those in charge right now. They are making this a worse job by the minute. Their decision-making has been atrocious and will leave scars for many years to come.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]