This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
So what does board reform look like exactly? Great question.

I think we should start by not allowing any current board members to be re-elected. That would mean that any new board members would need to be fresh blood removed from the current board.

There also need to be a nepotism by-law that no two immedate family members can be on the board simultaneously. We have had as many as four or five members of the same families on the board over the years. We have fathers & sons as well as husbands and wives currently on the board. The nepotism of the university as a whole needs to come to a screeching halt. The board is a great place to start. That would potentially require some hard choices in family members in regard to who would need to step down.

Limit elections of board members to five or six annually. This will significantly downsize the board as a whole over the 3-year cycle and ultimately lead to the board completely changing over by 2024.

Allow faculty and alumni to nominate board members. I know this one would likely rankle the current board. Their exclusive club has been a cronyism dream for decades. Allowing nominations would not necessarily assure their election but would force some accountability in regard to decisions.

Limit board members with vested interest from serving on certain committees. Does it bother anyne else that Jonathan is on the search committee for the next chancellor & president. I love my former classmate but a recusal from that committee where he is clearly the leading candidate based on recent decisions should be automatic. The investment committee is also really curious.
flameshaw, ElmersTwin, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 6th, 2021, 12:34 pm So what does board reform look like exactly? Great question.

I think we should start by not allowing any current board members to be re-elected. That would mean that any new board members would need to be fresh blood removed from the current board.

There also need to be a nepotism by-law that no two immedate family members can be on the board simultaneously. We have had as many as four or five members of the same families on the board over the years. We have fathers & sons as well as husbands and wives currently on the board. The nepotism of the university as a whole needs to come to a screeching halt. The board is a great place to start. That would potentially require some hard choices in family members in regard to who would need to step down.

Limit elections of board members to five or six annually. This will significantly downsize the board as a whole over the 3-year cycle and ultimately lead to the board completely changing over by 2024.

Allow faculty and alumni to nominate board members. I know this one would likely rankle the current board. Their exclusive club has been a cronyism dream for decades. Allowing nominations would not necessarily assure their election but would force some accountability in regard to decisions.

Limit board members with vested interest from serving on certain committees. Does it bother anyne else that Jonathan is on the search committee for the next chancellor & president. I love my former classmate but a recusal from that committee where he is clearly the leading candidate based on recent decisions should be automatic. The investment committee is also really curious.
10000000000000000000%. In addition, I would add forced retirement at age 70. If it was good enough for John Wooden, it is good enough for our Bored. 8)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The average age of our Executive Committee is 76.

The approximate average age of our Search Committee (assuming Richard Lee is 80) is 71.5.

I am far from an ageist. I respect my elders and their insights. I also recognize that higher education today is a completely different beast than it was in the 1950s & 1960s. Most of those making institutional decisions that I highlighted above do not come from academic backgrounds. Few have post-grad degrees that are not honorary. I fully support having some pastors on the board to keep us focused on our spiritual mission. But mixing in some folks with recent real world experience and academic credentials should be an emphasis moving forward. And if they could avoid having tons of baggage covering up sexual abuse under their watch it would certainly be a plus.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 6th, 2021, 2:31 pm The average age of our Executive Committee is 76.

The approximate average age of our Search Committee (assuming Richard Lee is 80) is 71.5.

I am far from an ageist. I respect my elders and their insights. I also recognize that higher education today is a completely different beast than it was in the 1950s & 1960s. Most of those making institutional decisions that I highlighted above do not come from academic backgrounds. Few have post-grad degrees that are not honorary. I fully support having some pastors on the board to keep us focused on our spiritual mission. But mixing in some folks with recent real world experience and academic credentials should be an emphasis moving forward. And if they could avoid having tons of baggage covering up sexual abuse under their watch it would certainly be a plus.
Being close to the age I suggested for forced retirement, I know how much one that age slows, both mentally and physically. (My IQ is probably down to a mere genius level now) :). Seriously, we don't need people that age on a high-functioning board. IMHO, that is what is going to be required going forward. We have a lot of ground to make up. And a lot of people to move out, if we are going to live up to Doc's dream/legacy.
Last edited by flameshaw on July 6th, 2021, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sly Fox, Just John liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:08 pm Oh yeah. He was around when Junior stepped down and Prevo seized the opportunity. He's just been keeping it all on the down low.

John Borek LinkedIn Profile

A cynic might suggest that he might know which closet holds some of the skeletons.
He put a few in there hisself.
JK37 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:20 pm
Sly Fox wrote: July 6th, 2021, 9:08 pm Oh yeah. He was around when Junior stepped down and Prevo seized the opportunity. He's just been keeping it all on the down low.

John Borek LinkedIn Profile

A cynic might suggest that he might know which closet holds some of the skeletons.

He put a few in there hisself.
Yes he did. Something like a million ants to empty that closet too. SMH.
In addition to Borek's skeletons, Gangster just reported Steven Snyder (Term expires in 2022) was at the Peabody Hotel with the Falwells and that drunken episode.

Of course, there was no reason to worry there was plenty of money in the bank (paraphrasing Carol Hudson)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You could do an episode on John M Borek alone. Cannot believe that guy is still around. Well, yeah I can. I’m guessing it’s why LU is still an accredited institution
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
While we were all focused on the CUSA membership, the Board Meeting had plenty of other news:
Liberty News Release wrote:In 50th Anniversary meeting, Trustees strengthen governance to protect the institutional mission, honor founder

November 5, 2021 : By Office of Communications & Public Engagement

In the Nov. 5 fall meeting of Liberty University’s Board of Trustees, its members took deliberative actions to strengthen university governance while honoring Liberty University’s founder and his vision to Train Champions for Christ.

“We have achieved much, for the glory of God, in these 50 years,” said Board Chairman Evangelist Tim Lee. “Now, we are working diligently to ensure that all the appropriate measures are in place to protect the university’s mission of Training Champions for Christ for the next 50 years.”

In response to external and internal reviews of the institution initiated by the Trustees and President Jerry Prevo a year ago, the Trustees voted unanimously to approve or revise 10 institutional policies which strengthen the university’s processes for governing its business conduct and executive management. The policies related to ethics in business conduct, conflicts of interest, nepotism, acquisition processes, whistleblower protections, political limits training for 501(c)3 organizations and training on the new policies, among others. These decisions were the results of months of Trustee work and follow the charter and bylaw revisions passed in the immediate previous meeting of the Trustees.

The board also voted unanimously to have an independent and comprehensive review of its Title IX policies and processes, including recommendations for improvement with best practices consistent with Liberty’s mission. The Board authorized President Prevo to engage a third party to independently assess the facts necessary for Liberty University to make things right with the Jane Doe Title IX plaintiffs, regardless of how long it has been. President Prevo noted during the board meeting that the institution wasn’t going to wait until the reviews were complete in order to take positive actions. Prevo announced that he had initiated the installation of up to 1,000 security cameras, in two phases, across the university’s campus in addition to the installation of emergency “blue light boxes” in key locations. The Trustees enthusiastically supported the initiative, which is expected to cost in excess of $8.5 million.

“The whole world knows that the last year has been challenging for Liberty University,” said Lee. “What they may not know is that these challenges are only making us stronger. This has become a banner year for Liberty University.”

Artist’s rendering of the Jerry Falwell Center: Inspiring Champions for Christ

Additionally, the Trustees voted to approve six additional degree programs, including three doctoral programs and three master’s programs, and received various committee reports, including an update from the committee responsible for the search for Liberty’s future President and Chancellor for Spiritual Affairs. After the university has fully implemented the Board’s governance changes and their operational counterparts, the committee will launch the searches during the summer of 2022. The search committee intends on having both leaders in place for the summer of 2023. The board expressed full confidence in Prevo continuing to serve as President through the May 2023 Commencement.

The Trustees also commended the university’s efforts to manage the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic. Early and decisive mitigation efforts on campus have resulted in a largely normal academic semester for the student body with spikes only occurring in the low single digits.

During the meeting, President Prevo spoke at length about the results of the university’s refocus on its original and distinctively Christian mission. The Trustees recessed the meeting for a brief groundbreaking ceremony for the Jerry Falwell Center to honor the founder and celebrate Liberty’s mission of Training Champions for Christ.

The Center, which will be constructed in the heart of Liberty University’s 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Va., will be an interactive experience that memorializes the founder for future generations.

“Over the last few months, I’ve often thought about the lessons we all learned from Dr. Falwell,” said Prevo. “Every freshman class heard his weekly appeal to ‘Never give up’ and they learned from him that ‘You don’t measure a man by his talent or wealth as the world does, but rather by what it takes to discourage him.’ He told them, ‘If it’s Christian it ought to be better.’”

“Generations of students learned that ‘all our failures are prayer failures’ and ‘a man is what he is on his knees before God and nothing more,’” said Prevo. “This is the Liberty University difference. We don’t just attend to the intellectual health of our students through our world-class academic programs, but to their whole person. We Train Champions for Christ. We always have and we always will.”
Click Here for Source

If your skin is not boiling after reading that news release you are either not informed or are completely detached from caring about this university.

The school has also not released information on the election of new and returning board members. The university site still lists trustees whose terms expired on Tuesday. We don't know who stayed ... who left ... or if anyone new was added.

All we know is that vaguely they made changes to governance. Just wow. Transparency has never been a strong suit of Prevo or the Board.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: November 6th, 2021, 10:59 am While we were all focused on the CUSA membership, the Board Meeting had plenty of other news:
Liberty News Release wrote:In 50th Anniversary meeting, Trustees strengthen governance to protect the institutional mission, honor founder

November 5, 2021 : By Office of Communications & Public Engagement

In the Nov. 5 fall meeting of Liberty University’s Board of Trustees, its members took deliberative actions to strengthen university governance while honoring Liberty University’s founder and his vision to Train Champions for Christ.

“We have achieved much, for the glory of God, in these 50 years,” said Board Chairman Evangelist Tim Lee. “Now, we are working diligently to ensure that all the appropriate measures are in place to protect the university’s mission of Training Champions for Christ for the next 50 years.”

In response to external and internal reviews of the institution initiated by the Trustees and President Jerry Prevo a year ago, the Trustees voted unanimously to approve or revise 10 institutional policies which strengthen the university’s processes for governing its business conduct and executive management. The policies related to ethics in business conduct, conflicts of interest, nepotism, acquisition processes, whistleblower protections, political limits training for 501(c)3 organizations and training on the new policies, among others. These decisions were the results of months of Trustee work and follow the charter and bylaw revisions passed in the immediate previous meeting of the Trustees.

The board also voted unanimously to have an independent and comprehensive review of its Title IX policies and processes, including recommendations for improvement with best practices consistent with Liberty’s mission. The Board authorized President Prevo to engage a third party to independently assess the facts necessary for Liberty University to make things right with the Jane Doe Title IX plaintiffs, regardless of how long it has been. President Prevo noted during the board meeting that the institution wasn’t going to wait until the reviews were complete in order to take positive actions. Prevo announced that he had initiated the installation of up to 1,000 security cameras, in two phases, across the university’s campus in addition to the installation of emergency “blue light boxes” in key locations. The Trustees enthusiastically supported the initiative, which is expected to cost in excess of $8.5 million.

“The whole world knows that the last year has been challenging for Liberty University,” said Lee. “What they may not know is that these challenges are only making us stronger. This has become a banner year for Liberty University.”

Artist’s rendering of the Jerry Falwell Center: Inspiring Champions for Christ

Additionally, the Trustees voted to approve six additional degree programs, including three doctoral programs and three master’s programs, and received various committee reports, including an update from the committee responsible for the search for Liberty’s future President and Chancellor for Spiritual Affairs. After the university has fully implemented the Board’s governance changes and their operational counterparts, the committee will launch the searches during the summer of 2022. The search committee intends on having both leaders in place for the summer of 2023. The board expressed full confidence in Prevo continuing to serve as President through the May 2023 Commencement.

The Trustees also commended the university’s efforts to manage the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic. Early and decisive mitigation efforts on campus have resulted in a largely normal academic semester for the student body with spikes only occurring in the low single digits.

During the meeting, President Prevo spoke at length about the results of the university’s refocus on its original and distinctively Christian mission. The Trustees recessed the meeting for a brief groundbreaking ceremony for the Jerry Falwell Center to honor the founder and celebrate Liberty’s mission of Training Champions for Christ.

The Center, which will be constructed in the heart of Liberty University’s 7,000-acre campus in Lynchburg, Va., will be an interactive experience that memorializes the founder for future generations.

“Over the last few months, I’ve often thought about the lessons we all learned from Dr. Falwell,” said Prevo. “Every freshman class heard his weekly appeal to ‘Never give up’ and they learned from him that ‘You don’t measure a man by his talent or wealth as the world does, but rather by what it takes to discourage him.’ He told them, ‘If it’s Christian it ought to be better.’”

“Generations of students learned that ‘all our failures are prayer failures’ and ‘a man is what he is on his knees before God and nothing more,’” said Prevo. “This is the Liberty University difference. We don’t just attend to the intellectual health of our students through our world-class academic programs, but to their whole person. We Train Champions for Christ. We always have and we always will.”
Click Here for Source

If your skin is not boiling after reading that news release you are either not informed or are completely detached from caring about this university.

The school has also not released information on the election of new and returning board members. The university site still lists trustees whose terms expired on Tuesday. We don't know who stayed ... who left ... or if anyone new was added.

All we know is that vaguely they made changes to governance. Just wow. Transparency has never been a strong suit of Prevo or the Board.
The first thing I noted was Tim Lee speaking for the university. He ia 100% certifiable. It also seems like we are finally closing the door, after the horses have escaped the stable. Finally, using the covid and Jr. situations for an entire committee to take two more years to find a president is total :BS . Many more things to say, but too early in the a.m. for me. :)
Just John liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I said it in the other thread but yeah. This entire press release was an absolute joke. Nothing to see here. Nothing is changing. Those who allowed Jr to run wild haven't learned their lesson. The board needs to go.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
What is the mechanism in which a board member is removed? Do they vote? Does the EC vote? Is it a forced resignation? Are they replaced? Do we just know by the website being updated?
By lawdawg2002
Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but does anyone know when LU's five-year report is due to SACS? LU was reaffirmed in 2016, so I'm assuming it was submitted this year. They are safe from the big review which is 2026, but it would not shock me if SACS wants to investigate some of the board's activities and policies.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Roys Report wrote:Former Liberty University Chairman Hints He Was Demoted For Speaking Out About Trump

By Julie Roys
November 15, 2021 10:02 am CST

Allen McFarland, the former chairman of Liberty University’s Board of Trustees, recently hinted that he was demoted from his position at Liberty for speaking out about former President Donald Trump.

“I began to notice things,” McFarland said at a recent SBC Virginia (SBCV) event.

“And I began to speak out to things that maybe I shouldn’t—say things like, ‘We’re raising champions for Christ, not champions for the Republican Party. We’re raising champions for Christ, not champions for Donald Trump.’ . . .

“I thought (the board) was supposed to be doing this. But I got in trouble, trouble big time.”
Click Here for Full Story

You need to watch this video:

stokesjokes liked this
By rhezick
Can't believe they replaced him with Tim Lee. That guy is a joke . Honestly McFarland is right on and this whole thing reinforces the idiocy of Trumpism... follow the dear leader, or be ousted. Lee, Falwell and the rest are good little soldiers who can't think for themselves, that's for sure. McFarland's whole point is objectively, biblically accurate... follow the principles of truth, never the person. I honestly don't see how the board is so blinded to all of this.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Just came to post this, Sly. What a mess. To transition from Dr. McFarland to Tim Lee tells you everything you need to know about the board.

I saw this immediately after finishing Napp Nazworth’s super-long article about being pushed out from the Christian Post and reading about Marvin Olasky’s early departure from World Magazine. It seems like the past 5-6 years have badly damaged evangelical institutions. It breaks my heart.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote: November 15th, 2021, 4:47 pm idiocy of Trumpism
Dang it. I knew I should have voted for Hillary Clinton idiocy and Joe Biden's abortion party. Or the the establishment that would rather offshore our jobs to cheep forced or slave labor in China.

I'm thankful for Trumps term, hopefully he has open the door for others like Pompeo, Scott and DeSantis. Some of you guys are more pollical than those you're complaining about. Close to 90 percent of evangelicals voted against Clinton and Biden and 50% of them have never heard of Liberty U.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]