This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It certinaly wasn't this millennial.

Your second paragraph says a lot of things should be a given but they aren't givens to a lot of people. If they were so many people wouldn't need counseling.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Personally, I don't see any reason to keep going with this conversation. There is zero reason to believe that anything we say on this board, is going to make a difference as to whom the Bored hires to be the next president(s).
Of course if you want to make your opinions known, that is great. That is what a message board is for. But it is kinda like Oprah giving advise on marriage, or a childless 20 year old, giving parenting advice.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Apologies, @Sly Fox , but nobody here has yet had the “take” that “we as a society should just dismiss physical discipline altogether.” I mentioned that I’m not completely against physical discipline in my previous post. I think there’s a place for it and I have used it with my children. I do think it shouldn’t be the primary form, but it may be a tool used for younger kids especially.

What I would categorize as abuse is using it excessively (5+ times a day, obviously if you’re doing this it isn’t working anyway), or for small or even natural problems, such as the quoted example of shyness.
Sly Fox wrote: October 5th, 2020, 10:45 am It is fascinating to see the parenting insights of millennials. Corporal punishment = abuse. End of story.
No one said corporal punishment was abuse. I had to spank my three year old last night.

The claim is that an " all-day session where you just wear them out” is abusive.
Purple Haize wrote: October 5th, 2020, 9:34 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 5th, 2020, 8:56 am
I believe that Mr. McCain has proven with his VP pick that he is pro-victory, not pro-family. In fact, I believe this was the anti-family pick….

First, if Mr. McCain was pro-family, he would want to see Mrs. Palin at home taking care of her five children, not headed to Washington to be consumed by the responsibilities of being second in command to the most powerful man in the world or serving as the Governor of Alaska for that matter). Let me also say that I would have the same reservations about a man with five children at home seeking the VP office. It’s not exactly a pro-family job….

Not only do I believe that a pro-family candidate would prefer to see Mrs. Palin at home taking care of her children, I believe a pro-family candidate would also avoid validating and advancing our culture’s desire to completely erase gender roles….
Source (includes video where transcript was taken from)

“Scripture does not command the woman to become independent—it commands women to be submissive. Why, because part of the curse in Genesis chapter 3 was that Eve would have the desire not only for her husband, but also for her husband’s position. It was part of the fallen nature which was a result of what happened with our first parents that women would have this desire against the order which God ordained toward independence. So for me to foster that in my daughter is really for me to flirt with that very same thing that brought Eve down.

So what I need to foster in my daughter, is not the sin to which she is prone, I need to foster the Biblical pattern that she must learn.

Instead of pursuing an independent career, Jasmin’s new objective is to join her family in fulfilling her new career of serving her father while waiting for the man God would send her. Her free and loving submission to her father is great preparation for her eventual submission to her husband. Some young man will be awfully fortunate to get this young lady."
Source
That first quote makes absolute sense and I can see that line of thinking. He also mentioned he felt the same about a Male making the same decision. So I’m ok with it.
The second makes me raise an eyebrow but I’m going to need more context
I get the line of thinking about taking a position in national politics not being pro-family. I'm fully on board there.

I take issue with the line of "I believe a pro-family candidate would also avoid validating and advancing our culture’s desire to completely erase gender roles" to imply a woman should not have any form of leadership outside the home period.
flameshaw wrote: October 5th, 2020, 10:54 am Personally, I don't see any reason to keep going with this conversation. There is zero reason to believe that anything we say on this board, is going to make a difference as to whom the Bored hires to be the next president(s).
Of course if you want to make your opinions known, that is great. That is what a message board is for. But it is kinda like Oprah giving advise on marriage, or a childless 20 year old, giving parenting advice.
My point in bringing all these issues up is to point out that just because you like someone's theology on social justice or the family, there's more that goes into being a University president. Dr. Baucham can parent however he chooses, but when someone is anti-public education, anti-daughters leaving the home to get an education, and anti-women having roles outside the home, that person cannot lead a university made up of 54-60% women with a sole vision to train those women to take the gospel into all arenas of life - most of which are outside the home.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
JC you're spinning his views so much I'm getting disy :lol: In the sermon he said the family should be lead "spiritually" by the father. And gave examples of what that means. PH no where have I been able to find where he says women should not work or even manage in a work environment. In fact his example points in the opposite direction. In his example, the women takes control of the family checkbook because Dad's no good at it and she has an accounting degree. She's his helper, team work with things like that. I think Mom earning an income working would help the family. But when it comes to setting and maintaining the families spiritual goals, the buck stops with Dad. The quotes JC is spinning come from a CNN interview after Palin was selected to run as VP. He pointed out it might jeopardize her families spiritual wellbeing. He was proven to be right. Flameshaw you're right, nothing but opinions here, but you can clearly see Liberty is at a crossroad as they hire a new chancellor. In my opinion this gentleman's views are Godly, similar to Doc's and he should at least join the board.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: October 5th, 2020, 10:54 am Personally, I don't see any reason to keep going with this conversation. There is zero reason to believe that anything we say on this board, is going to make a difference as to whom the Bored hires to be the next president(s).
I certainly hope the Board doesn't use anything that's said on a message board, to assist in selecting new president.
I laugh at some of the names tossed around, sort of like I did when we were awaiting a new football coach.

Can someone refresh my memory as to why Mark Demoss left ?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 8th, 2020, 6:40 pm
I certainly hope the Board doesn't use anything that's said on a message board, to assist in selecting new president.
I laugh at some of the names tossed around, sort of like I did when we were awaiting a new football coach.

Can someone refresh my memory as to why Mark Demoss left ?
1. Zero chance
2. Not enough space in the same room for Mark and Jr's egos. 8) 8)
I would love at least a shred of transparency through this. It all feels like a southern Baptist cover up where they’ll pull something together to say they did something but it’ll just scratch the surface and we’ll continue being toxic for years to come.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 8th, 2020, 8:39 pm I would love at least a shred of transparency through this. It all feels like a southern Baptist cover up where they’ll pull something together to say they did something but it’ll just scratch the surface and we’ll continue being toxic for years to come.
Don't like Southern Baptist?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 10th, 2020, 8:27 am The Southern Baptists don't exactly have the best reputation in how they handle scandals. This is right out of their playbook. Of course, it isn't just Southern Baptists that operate this way but it is still a fair comparison.
Which denomination handle them better and I'll do a Google search to make sure. 🤔
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 10th, 2020, 9:56 am Did you miss my last sentence? It is a problem among many denominations. Our board just has more of a southern Baptist background.
Okay. Does it really mater how many SB are on the board if all denominations face the same issues.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Did that offend you or something? Just because it is true with other denominations, doesn't make it any less true about Southern Baptists. Our school has a history with that denomination which is why it was mentioned. Regardless, the silence from the board on all of this is deafening. That is the real issue.
jbock13 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Seriously though, regardless of the official word, you would have to think that Junior, Jonathon, and Mark D need to settle their differences, sit down, work it out, and ensure that the shared vision of their fathers advances into the future.

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]