This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
A few more names to keep an eye on: Jensen Huang, Daniel Ek, and Reed Hastings. Huang is in on the verge on making a major aquisition. However, if that falls through, he may be available. Hastings has had his share of controversy recently, but would be an interesting candidate nonetheless. Ek, in my opinion, has tremendous upside, with his best days ahead of him.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: September 24th, 2020, 9:39 pm A few more names to keep an eye on: Jensen Huang, Daniel Ek, and Reed Hastings. Huang is in on the verge on making a major aquisition. However, if that falls through, he may be available. Hastings has had his share of controversy recently, but would be an interesting candidate nonetheless. Ek, in my opinion, has tremendous upside, with his best days ahead of him.
Paul Tribble from Christopher Newport? Believer, led the state Home School organization in it's early years, and has a solid academic record at CNU.
The pastor idea comes from a nostalgic idea of what Liberty should be. While we're considering a pastor, how about rejoining the NCCAA. I'm sure that some of the old school folks on here remember those days fondly.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: September 25th, 2020, 6:57 am
paradox wrote: September 24th, 2020, 9:39 pm A few more names to keep an eye on: Jensen Huang, Daniel Ek, and Reed Hastings. Huang is in on the verge on making a major aquisition. However, if that falls through, he may be available. Hastings has had his share of controversy recently, but would be an interesting candidate nonetheless. Ek, in my opinion, has tremendous upside, with his best days ahead of him.
Paul Tribble from Christopher Newport? Believer, led the state Home School organization in it's early years, and has a solid academic record at CNU.
The pastor idea comes from a nostalgic idea of what Liberty should be. While we're considering a pastor, how about rejoining the NCCAA. I'm sure that some of the old school folks on here remember those days fondly.
I mean we did win our only Naty back then :)
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I just really hope that we ending up going with Daniel Ek. I mean, what a merger. Liberty and Spotify. Of course, Ek would have to move his operation to Liberty Mountain, which he would gladly do.

Just imagine the Joe Rogan Experience podcasting live from Liberty Mountain. That's just too much. I mean, we would have the charisma and energy of Joe Rogan combined with the magnetism and relevance of David Nasser. They could even team up and call it the Nasser-Rogan Experience live from Liberty Mountain. What an opportunity for evangelism! And Nasser could be our next 100 million dollar man. We need that, you know...
chris leedlelee liked this
By Tnobes
If hugh freeze leaves, liberty is irrelevant. Liberty university was the Falwells then you were lucky to have Jerry Jr and hugh freeze, two well known commodities. Now hugh freeze is the only pimp you have, can anyone name the president of any of these other small irrelevant Christian universities? You need a well known lightning rod on top to be in the news constantly, no publicity is bad publicity.
badger74 liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Reminds me of Doc, love this guy. Very wise.

Dr. Baucham holds degrees from Houston Baptist University (BA in Christianity/BA in Sociology), Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (M.Div.), Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (D.Min.), an honorary degree from Southern California Seminary (D.D.), and additional post-graduate study at the University of Oxford, England (Regent’s Park College).
By mlschubert
Registration Days Posts
My brother-in-law is a pastor that has has served with him. Dr. Bauchum has the heart, vision, intellect & passion for leading a University & training Champions for Christ - he would be a phenomenal choice.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
mlschubert wrote: October 4th, 2020, 6:28 pm My brother-in-law is a pastor that has has served with him. Dr. Bauchum has the heart, vision, intellect & passion for leading a University & training Champions for Christ - he would be a phenomenal choice.
I agree and he's a leader in homeschooling as well.
“Remember, your child has a disease.”

“We don’t ask police officers to change hearts, but to restrain evildoers! And that’s precisely what parents are charged to do. ... Family shepherds do not engage in corrective discipline because we believe it’s efficacious,” Baucham claims, but rather because fathers “have a duty to restrain our children.”
Formative discipline begins with the reality that our children’s greatest need is regeneration…Johnny doesn’t disobey because he’s cranky, tired, or hungry… He does it because he’s a descendant of Adam.
A police officer doesn’t watch a criminal commit a crime and refuse to act due to his inability to change a man’s heart. No, he does what he can to resist the criminal and restrain him, knowing that his duty—while limited in its ultimate effectiveness—is necessary. It’s the same for parents.
“The next time those two daughters of yours quarrel, don’t ask them what happened; tell them! Remind them of the essential reason for their disagreement, and that God knows exactly why they don’t get along: ‘What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel… (James 4:1-3).’ And what’s the solution? Is it that they need to learn to share? Perhaps. But there’s a deeper issue, one that gets to our need for repentance and dependence on God: ‘Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you…Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep… (James 4:7-10).’”

“Tell them what God threatens to those who so behave. Let your child know that God is serious about what they’ve done, and show them what his Word threatens for those who continue to do it. This may seem like manipulation, but it isn’t. If God has warned us against something in his Word, we owe it to our children to point out the warning. If our neighbor has a sign up that says, ‘Beware of Dog,’ we certainly have no qualms about warning our children to stay off of his property. So why should we feel the slightest apprehension about telling them that God says, ‘But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death’ (Rev. 21:8)?”
Physical punishment is “the authoritative response that reminds the child the parent, under God, has the final word.” And children only become “too old” to be physically hit by their parents when they are “twenty or twenty-one,” Baucham says. Until then, because “your child has a disease,” “we must train our children. Just like an athlete training for a big game, our children need multiple repetitions in order to master their discipline.”
Source

Dr. Baucham is by all accounts a great man, incredible speaker/writer, and strong follower of Jesus.

However, someone with these views on parenting, coupled with a disdain of behavioral psychology, cannot lead a university committed to training teachers, early childhood workers, pediatricians, and child psychologists to go into public arenas and impact their students/patients with the gospel.

If people with those views choose to homeschool their children - that’s absolutely their right! But those views can’t go into how we train future educators and doctors.
adam42381 liked this
In addition to those views on children and parenting, Baucham is a proponent of the stay-at-home-daughter. That movement would say that 54% of our residential students are doing something they shouldn’t by leaving home as unmarried women to get educated and potentially find a husband.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Based solely on what you wrote and quoted, why can he not lead an institution of higher learning training doctors, educators and the like? Despite being “a great man, incredible speaker/writer, and strong follower of Jesus”, is he also incapable of distinguishing between the role of a parent and the appropriate protocols for public servants?
JK37 wrote: October 4th, 2020, 7:55 pm Based solely on what you wrote and quoted, why can he not lead an institution of higher learning training doctors, educators and the like? Despite being “a great man, incredible speaker/writer, and strong follower of Jesus”, is he also incapable of distinguishing between the role of a parent and the appropriate protocols for public servants?
He’s written entire books on his views on parenting and the family. Within those books he has railed against behavioral psychology and many of the things that are imperative to training up teachers, doctors, and social workers. Even if he could distinguish between the two arenas - having someone who is known for those views will have an impact on the types of students we attract and the amount of students we attract.

If all we want is the homeschool student and the fundamentalist Christian school student who will then go homeschool their kids or teach in those same Christian schools then by all means, he’s the guy. But if we want to be attractive to students from all backgrounds and place graduates in public jobs, he’s not the guy to lead the world’s largest Christian university.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]