This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 11th, 2022, 9:40 pm
47/5-2 wrote: March 10th, 2022, 3:52 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 10th, 2022, 3:51 am Gordon College has a guy….
Didn't he just get there??? Maybe we could work a sign and trade....
He did. But he’s the type of person LU desperately needs. Has academic credentials, young, solid Christian credentials, extremely relatable to the student body and the only skeletons in his closet are from who associated with as a teenager!. And he worked in DC and still has connections. It has less than 0% Chance of happening but my personal roladex did produce the Mens Soccer Coach. (Yep. Totally taking credit for that despite having nothing to do with it)
Well... I think you could actually fit Kelly inside a roladex. Hammond sounds like what we need.
Purple Haize liked this
After the lawsuits are settled, all outside investigations are concluded, and any liability for the “Jr years” is resolved, the next leadership team will be Will Graham as President and Jonathan as Chancellor.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Just witnessed what has to be the all-time Liberty promotional.

NFL Network on the big screen as I'm getting a haircut this morning. Kyle comes on and does this piece on where is and what is Liberty University. Says we need to know since Malik Willis could go high in draft. Joked that his wife is far more educated than him and seems to know everything. So, he asked her where Liberty is and she said Texas.

Then he highlights four people we should know who went there: Sam Ponder, Seth Curry, Samkon Gado, Rashad Jennings. And of course, now, Malik. Showed positive pics of campus and highlights Freedom Tower. Maybe three or four pics of the founder. Highlighted debate teams, showed old pic of Bret w/the big guy. And even said LU was the Stanford of debate.

Took it back to sports. Showed Malik & Hugh. Talked about being undefeated in three bowls after moving up a level. Mentioned move to CUSA in '23. And showed a pic of the '19 basketball team and said they were in a lotta people's brackets. Also, mentioned LU had been to 5 NCAAs.

All positive stuff. A little conversation in between as well. Nothing negative. No mention of Junior or any negativity, at all, which was nice.
Baybird, Ill flame, LUOrange liked this
By Honest Abe
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Did Liberty just announce its new president in a tweet about convocation? <a href="https://t.co/kaKOuDDmGF">https://t.co/k ... </p>&mdash; Damien Sordelett (@DamienSordelett) <a href="
8, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

“Serving the people of the Commonwealth for a 12-year term on the court, and 30 years overall, has been an honor beyond measure,” he wrote. “I have been blessed with meaningful work and valued colleagues. Now as I approach my 65th birthday in June 2022, the time has come to discern other opportunities to serve.”

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-reg ... 5e3a0.html

He was recognized in convo today...
They deleted the tweet, what did it say exactly?

Some context clues from that article make it seem like this may not be the case. He's going to be teaching at CNU regularly this fall and they also make it seem like his desire is to stay on as a "senior justice," which may be precluded by taking the Liberty position, since "holding a position that would involve fundraising" is among the things that would disqualify him from serving in that role.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Damien mentioned in a follow-up tweet that it looked like they copy and pasted a tweet from when Prevo was the convo speaker and changed the name. So the social media team was probably just trying to use the same template and hit the button a bit to soon.
By LUAlum1215
The tweet said “Join us live from the campus of Liberty University as we welcome our Convocation Speaker LU President Katherine Wolf!” A few minutes later they corrected it and removed “LU President” in a separate tweet.

Prior to introducing her as the speaker, Jonathan mentioned the retired judge was in attendance but no further mention of him. Certainly looks like a typo and failed copy+paste from Wednesdays convo tweet when Prevo spoke.
By Honest Abe
Yeah, I finally saw some follow-up on the deleted tweet. Looks like the typo was the issue. I was hoping there was some legitimate traction on a presidential search. That would be too much to ask... :|
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Two years (!?!) after the departure of JLFJR, the board finally hires an Atlanta-based search firm called Carter Baldwin.

They do have experience in executive searches in the Christian college space claiming placements on their website for:

• Azusa Pacific University
    Charleston Southern University
    Cornerstone University
    Grand Canyon University
    Grove City College
    Hillsdale College
    Lipscomb University
    Palm Beach Atlantic University
    Pepperdine University
    Presbyterian College
The school has used the firm several years ago to hire Keith Faulkner as the Dean of LU Law before he left a year ago.

If this was the obvious choice to select as a search firm the questions becomes why did it take two years to make this call? And is this going to be a legitimate search or a check to a firm to defend the board that search has been a sham all along?
I'm grateful there is at least something happening, and that the end date is such that this will be Provo's last year at the helm. I'm suspicious of the timing (two stinking years), but hopeful nonetheless.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: August 10th, 2022, 2:16 pm Those are reasonable requests. I am not sure Jonathan or Will meet those qualifications and yet ...
Wasn't the plan for Jonathan to be "chancellor" and to have the roles split?

I'm also interested in the timing of the decision. Were they waiting on some sort of benchmark to begin the search?

Also, for all the Prevo issues and absenteeism, from a faculty perspective, there have been significant positive changes in the past few years.
LUOrange liked this
By rhezick
Dang, adding fuel to the fire. You know how many ticked Christians you'll see walking out of church on a Sunday and the first thing they
stokesjokes wrote:
Sly Fox wrote: August 10th, 2022, 2:16 pm Those are reasonable requests. I am not sure Jonathan or Will meet those qualifications and yet ...

I'm also interested in the timing of the decision. Were they waiting on some sort of benchmark to begin the search?

Also, for all the Prevo issues and absenteeism, from a faculty perspective, there have been significant positive changes in the past few years.
stokesjokes wrote:

Yea didn't everyone get a raise and then a massive shift in PTO (starting out with 4 weeks now instead of the standard 3 + allowing for 5 days of rollover)? Seems small on the surface but that PTO change was huge.
ATrain wrote: August 10th, 2022, 6:52 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 10th, 2022, 5:20 pm Find a new president and have him take office, ASAP. Don't drag it out for 2 more years.
Or her...
He said what he said. Honestly I wouldn't mind both male and female for a President and Chancellor role. It would be beneficial for influence in campus/local and national/international affairs. Of course I hope they'll have sufficient credentials.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]