This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Perpetuating the myth that the board knew of JFJr's alledged sexcapades and implying that they are now only interested in self preservation is quite a bit different than sarcastically questioning someone's first hand knowledge of such. If I have to explain the difference I may have overestimated the acuity of some in the conversation.
TH Spangler liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: March 14th, 2023, 9:41 am Perpetuating the myth that the board knew of JFJr's alledged sexcapades and implying that they are now only interested in self preservation is quite a bit different than sarcastically questioning someone's first hand knowledge of such. If I have to explain the difference I may have overestimated the acuity of some in the conversation.
I have said this a lot over the past couple of years but I guess I need to say it again. There are only 2 possibilities. #1 they knew and just ignored it because of the loyalty to the Falwell family or #2 Didn't know at all despite it being well known

Neither of these shine a great light on the board and their ability to lead this university.

On top of that, the current "president" of the university still claims his honorary doctorate from Hyles-Anderson. That alone is a huge red flag. But I digress.....
flamehunter, Sly Fox, Baybird and 5 others liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
To quote Donald Rumsfeld, "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know." That applies not only to the board but also to what some know or don't know about me.

The Executive Committee of the board is tasked with being the oversight of the administration. That is their purpose in existence. With all of the high profile media reports, they would have to have been at the minimum intentionally avoiding the stories to claim that they were unaware. Because even the most casual observer was aware.

Back to the search I have had radio silence from sources on this issue since the weekend. That could mean they are close or it could mean plans have fallen apart.
By rtb72
Sly Fox wrote: March 14th, 2023, 2:03 pm To quote Donald Rumsfeld, "There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know." That applies not only to the board but also to what some know or don't know about me.

The Executive Committee of the board is tasked with being the oversight of the administration. That is their purpose in existence. With all of the high profile media reports, they would have to have been at the minimum intentionally avoiding the stories to claim that they were unaware. Because even the most casual observer was aware.

Back to the search I have had radio silence from sources on this issue since the weekend. That could mean they are close or it could mean plans have fallen apart.
Incompetence or negligence....both are firing offenses.
TH Spangler wrote: March 14th, 2023, 6:33 pm I hope Dave Brat is on the short list for president.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brat

Brat earned a B.A. in business administration from Hope College in 1986, a master's degree in divinity (M.Div.) from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1990 and a Ph.D. in economics from American University in 1995.[9]
He would be great but is not being considered.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Some of y'all just can't live without the politicians.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 7:27 pm Some of y'all just can't live without the politicians.
Yeah, I don't get it. If there has been one thing that has blown up the church in the last several years it's politics. Believe it or not, there a lot of good Christians who don't like the current leadership of the GOP. And a lot of our minority brothers and sisters aren't even Republicans. IMO let's get an educator as president and focus teaching on Christ, ethics and moral (biblical things) and let culture follow from there.

Lastly, politicians are typically big public personalities who often make big public mistakes of various kinds. We don't need that any time soon! We don't need a big name. I trust Jonathan. In a chancellor's role, he is more than adequate to represent as needed.
rmiller1959, Baybird liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:42 pm
jbock13 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 7:27 pm Some of y'all just can't live without the politician.
Yeah, I don't get it. If there has been one thing that has blown up the church in the last several years it's politics. Believe it or not, there a lot of good Christians who don't like the current leadership of the GOP. And a lot of our minority brothers and sisters aren't even Republicans. IMO let's get an educator as president and focus teaching on Christ, ethics and moral (biblical things) and let culture follow from there.

Lastly, politicians are typically big public personalities who often make big public mistakes of various kinds. We don't need that any time soon! We don't need a big name. I trust Jonathan. In a chancellor's role, he is more than adequate to represent as needed.
Brat earned a B.A. in business administration from Hope College in 1986, a master's degree in divinity (M.Div.) from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1990 and a Ph.D. in economics from American University in 1995.[9]

JJ what defines politician? He's not running for anything. He's been a LU staff member for years and doing a great job.

""minority brothers and sisters aren't even Republicans"" I would hope they are pro-life. And believe biblical marriage is (between a man and woman). I find it hard to even think about supporting the other party.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 16th, 2023, 7:36 am
Just John wrote: March 15th, 2023, 10:42 pm
jbock13 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 7:27 pm Some of y'all just can't live without the politician.

JJ what defines politician? He's not running for anything. He's been a LU staff member for years and doing a great job.

""minority brothers and sisters aren't even Republicans"" I would hope they are pro-life. And believe biblical marriage is (between a man and woman). I find it hard to even think about supporting the other party.
Would you call Obama, Bush, Clinton or Carter politicians? "They aren't running for anything". But it will be the first line in their obit. If Brat were to be announced as LU prez the first sentence in the reporting would say "former GOP congressman", not "got his MDiv at Princeton". He's only four years removed from Congress and when you are in that arena I don't think many let it go and you retain the affiliations and connections. Would convocations could become the political rallies we saw under Jr's time at the helm. I don't have anything against Brat but I don't believe it's a good idea to head in any political direction.

Black and Hispanic Evangelicals have always been for the most part conservative on social issues like life and heterosexuality however they also tend to consider a broader view or different view of social issues like poverty and civil rights than many white Evangelicals. You might find it hard to even think about supporting "the other party" but we don't all come to the table with the same backgrounds. Different backgrounds certainly shape who we are and what we believe. At the foot of the cross we are the same...that's where we need to focus.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There isn't a conflict but the obsession with the poltical world is fools gold. I'd rather have someone who has had experience leading a similar minded college for several years move up to leading a school the size of Liberty. But those people don't seem to be interested in it. Either that or the board isn't.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 18th, 2023, 9:01 am There isn't a conflict but the obsession with the poltical world is fools gold. I'd rather have someone who has had experience leading a similar minded college for several years move up to leading a school the size of Liberty. But those people don't seem to be interested in it. Either that or the board isn't.
Who's obsessed with the political angle? Maybe its you? His public service isn't what I'm looking at. Its his B.A. in business administration, a master's in divinity and a Ph.D. in economics. He's proven himself at Liberty already. Seems a logical choice.
LUOrange liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
You really said Bob Good. Yuck. We all know you’re political obsessed so you know Brat is still heavy invested into politics. He’s a regular on America’s First and a contributor with the joke they call Freedom center.

If you know anything about Brat too, he’s hardly involved with the school anyway.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: March 18th, 2023, 11:16 am You really said Bob Good. Yuck. We all know you’re political obsessed so you know Brat is still heavy invested into politics. He’s a regular on America’s First and a contributor with the joke they call Freedom center.

If you know anything about Brat too, he’s hardly involved with the school anyway.
Exposed :lol:

I'm sure I'll be very happy with whoever is selected if you aren't. :lol:
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 18th, 2023, 10:53 am
thepostman wrote: March 18th, 2023, 9:01 am There isn't a conflict but the obsession with the poltical world is fools gold. I'd rather have someone who has had experience leading a similar minded college for several years move up to leading a school the size of Liberty. But those people don't seem to be interested in it. Either that or the board isn't.
Who's obsessed with the political angle? Maybe its you? His public service isn't what I'm looking at. Its his B.A. in business administration, a master's in divinity and a Ph.D. in economics. He's proven himself at Liberty already. Seems a logical choice.
You know what you're doing. No need to gaslight anybody.
By LUOrange
On the face of it, I wouldn't mind Brat. He actually makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't mind Robert Hurt either. I wouldn't be in favor of Good, he's better suited in Congress where he's at.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: March 19th, 2023, 10:31 am On the face of it, I wouldn't mind Brat. He actually makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't mind Robert Hurt either. I wouldn't be in favor of Good, he's better suited in Congress where he's at.
My references to Good was only, I hope Liberty produces many more public servants like him. I hope Liberty's law school produces a steady flow of conservative lawyers that go on to be judges.
LUOrange liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]