This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:20 pm I think president search will be somewhat like a coach search, we will not know who, until he's named.
We knew Hugh Freeze was going to be the coach long before it was announced
thepostman, ballcoach15 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have no issues with Prevo being a caretaker. Is he qualified for the position? Meh. His doctorate is honorary from Hyles-Anderson College. Let me repeat, scandal-stained Jack Hyles gave him his honorary doctorate. I have never met Prevo personally and bear no emotional connection. He went to the college where my dad attended that no longer exists. What concerns me is the fact that he was the chairman of the board when the last president was left unchecked for years. He either had head buried in the sand or was cheering on the abuse of power. Then after the scandals became public and he was hastily installed as Interim President, he spent an inordinate amount of time in his first convo gushing about his predecessor's accomplishments. Not only was it bad form but it was also very revelatory about his perspective on the position.

Somebody has to fill the position in the interim. So I have zero interest in toting any pitchforks. But what we have witnessed in the past few days is a man entrenching and self-promoting. Then the board that he had led since DeMoss was forced out goes to the trouble of the public endorsement of him removing interim tag and him giving carte blanche on powers. I guess we shouldn't be surprised at this turn of events based on the crony makeup of the board itself. Is it a requirement of being a board member to have multiple members of your family involved?

The lack of board transparency is one thing. The actions of the president appearing to be enjoying his position immensely that he fell into as a result of a scandal is another.

*** Full Disclosure - I submitted a proposal to Prevo and the board in the wake of the scandals last summer for professional services. They never responded. I suspect there are some that will try to discredit my concerns based on that knowledge. ***
thepostman, Baldspot1 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think there’s a misconception here that Jerry’s great sin that the board should have been aware of is the pool boy stuff. It reminds me of Sodom. Everyone always thinks of Sodom and sexual sin, it’s even got a sexual sin named after it. But what does the Bible say the sin of Sodom was?

Ezekiel 16:49-50: 49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom:(A) She and her daughters were arrogant,(B) overfed and unconcerned;(C) they did not help the poor and needy.(D) 50 They were haughty(E) and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.(F)”

It’s excusable for the board and it’s members to not have known about the pool boy or even the drinking. The unrepentant arrogance, the callousness, the inexcusable way Jr talked to and about those who “dared” to think differently than him was obvious and well-known. The board didn’t care as long as Liberty was successful by worldly measures. That’s my issue and that’s what Prevo is responsible for: the financial health of the university was made a higher priority than its spiritual health. It’s been very clear in the way Prevo talks about the Jerry Jr era that he still worships that golden calf. I’ve been told by those familiar with his ministry in Alaska that it’s apparent there, too. That’s why he’s not the guy.

And given how everything has been handled up until now by the same people responsible for the current search, I’m not optimistic. They have not earned the benefit of the doubt. Until they are transparent in their process or until the next president is hired, they won’t have it from me.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 6th, 2021, 5:22 pm
JK37 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 4:25 pm The search may be going badly, especially relative to the emotional expectations of many here. It may just be going slowly. If so, I’m ok with that.

An update on that process would be nice.

Reads to me like others have said, there was a need to establish that as Acting President, he has the full authority of the position, and it’s also permissible to refer to him just as President or CEO.

If your only complaint is that he was a part of a group that enabled poor behavior by another who is no longer here and never will be again - I just don’t think that DQ’s him from a short-term stopgap role. Heads need to roll? Sure, and the biggest one already did.

Some of you are ready to storm the gates with pitchforks and burn JP at the stake. But your disappointment in the process is directly correlated with your expectations at its outset. That’s on you, not JP or anyone else. It certainly explains the emotionalism, which I just don’t get.
His insistence of not only funding Falkirk, but actively supporting its mission while also trying to promote himself in political circles is another one of my issues.

I know what the people and professors of Liberty did for my walk with Jesus. I also recognize there are other centrist teenagers who are passively following Jesus who could have their world turned upside down in positive ways by our school.

But because of the political influence Prevo and those of his ilk on the board insist we must have, instead of focusing first on Jesus, second on academics, and third on politics, those kids like me no longer feel welcomed or as if they can exist at Liberty.

So yeah, call me a bit emotional about it. I think Jesus and training champions for Christ is a good thing to get emotional about.
I haven’t caught on to him doing all that in the first paragraph. If so, that’s concerning. But I wouldn’t fault him for not immediately disbanding the Falkirk either. I’m for a name change, and a redirection of purpose. And, I believe the University should maintain influence for Christ in all arenas including political, walking the fine line between it being about extending influence for Christ as opposed to self. I think walking in and breaking it up from the get-go or too early could be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

If he’s a stopgap, whatever his title because I couldn’t care less about titles, it would make sense to not make major changes. And if he’s less a stop gap and more long-term, rapid major change would be void of fully informed perspective. Just because he’s been on the board doesn’t mean he’s had active, intimate knowledge of all the goings-on. The forensic financial investigation is still ongoing. I wouldn’t want or expect an update on that until it is complete. An update on the presidential search would be nice, and is reasonable to expect. And if JP was in fact the culmination of that search process, the release was weak. If he’s the guy, it will be much more celebratory. That’s why the release reads to me as temporary.

So since he’s still temporary, even though maybe not as temporary as some hoped, let them take their time to find the next, then let the new guy make the changes to Falkirk and whatever else.

I can see how some would hope the board members would each choose themselves to step down. I’d have respect for such a move unto itself. The issue is there is no apparatus for replacement. These moments are weird for all private institutions of higher ed.

Sly, I wouldn’t discredit your concerns on that basis. I think they are valid.

Stokes - well said
Sly Fox, stokesjokes liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Hyles-Anderson gave him an honorary doctorate?? I did not know that. That by itself is a huge red flag. I don't know how familiar some of the younger alumni are with that place but that is not a place I'd want to be associated with. The scandals there and First Baptist - Hammond are infamous and make what is going on at LU look like child's play.

Thank God we haven't gone down that road.

I grew up in the IFB world and still cringe whenever I hear anything Hyles-Anderson related.
Just John liked this
JK37 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:59 pm Just because he’s been on the board doesn’t mean he’s had active, intimate knowledge of all the goings-on.
Wasn't he the chairman of the Board? Is it not the Board's responsibility to be the checks and balances of the University?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 6th, 2021, 7:16 pm Hyles-Anderson gave him an honorary doctorate?? I did not know that. That by itself is a huge red flag. I don't know how familiar some of the younger alumni are with that place but that is not a place I'd want to be associated with. The scandals there and First Baptist - Hammond are infamous and make what is going on at LU look like child's play.

I grew up in the IFB world and still cringe whenever I hear anything Hyles-Anderson related.
I hear you. Although I did have a good friend who went there and we were always cool with each other. But on a Macro level that alone should be a large red flag being waved by someone running up and down University Boulevard in a Speedo
thepostman liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 6th, 2021, 7:16 pm Hyles-Anderson gave him an honorary doctorate?? I did not know that. That by itself is a huge red flag. I don't know how familiar some of the younger alumni are with that place but that is not a place I'd want to be associated with. The scandals there and First Baptist - Hammond are infamous and make what is going on at LU look like child's play.

HAC, is one of the most corrupt destinations, for sexual predators/enablers, in the entire christian world. It does make what Jr. and some of the rest at LU have done, look like child's play. There were murders and other sexual assaults covered up there, on a regular basis. It is still a spiritual s-hole, but is thankfully getting smaller by the day. Jack Hyles son-in-law, who took over for him, is currently serving a 12 year federal, prison sentence for taking an underage girl, across state lines for sex. She was in the yewt department there. That is just scratching the surface.
I wasn't aware that JP got a honorary from there. The funny thing is HAC is/was not entitled to give out doctorate degrees at any time.
To show you how much one of those are worth, Jack Hyles gave on to J R Rice's horse. Upon receipt of same, the horse immediately took a big dump on the stage. (True story). 100% useless.
There are many reasons for Prevo to leave sooner, rather that later. The fact that he claims his doctorate from there and hasn't returned it, or burned it, is in and of itself a reason to get rid of him.
thepostman liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 6th, 2021, 8:00 pm
JK37 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 6:59 pm Just because he’s been on the board doesn’t mean he’s had active, intimate knowledge of all the goings-on.
Wasn't he the chairman of the Board? Is it not the Board's responsibility to be the checks and balances of the University?
Yes.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Really poor judgement to put a Hyles guy in after a major scandal. Not saying that it's happening, but it makes you wonder who is pulling the strings behind the scenes. Just makes me wonder. The whole thing has an unsavory feel to it.
JK37, thepostman, ATrain liked this
JK37 wrote: February 6th, 2021, 11:36 pm
Yes.
Then shouldn’t he have had intimate knowledge of what was going on? Meaning if he didn’t he was negligent in his role of holding the school and its leadership accountable?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 6th, 2021, 11:40 pm Really poor judgement to put a Hyles guy in after a major scandal. Not saying that it's happening, but it makes you wonder who is pulling the strings behind the scenes. Just makes me wonder. The whole thing has an unsavory feel to it.
To be clear he just received his honorary doctorate from Hyles. He went to Tennessee Temple & Baptist Bible College in Springfield, MO where Doc graduated. The fact he still claims the doctorate is what is what many of us find concerning.

I really don't want Hyles-Anderson to be a distraction away from the primary concerns. And that is saying something if you know me at all and my family history. Suffice it to say that Doc was about the only one who stood with my family when the scandals in Hammond were exposed both publicly and financially. Doc's stand against hypocrisy in the church was one of the traits that I admired the most. It made the events of the past few years with his son so disheartening.
thepostman, ATrain, flameshaw and 1 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 7th, 2021, 2:04 am

Yes.
Then shouldn’t he have had intimate knowledge of what was going on? Meaning if he didn’t he was negligent in his role of holding the school and its leadership accountable?
Intimate? Not necessarily. Once it became clear, change was made. You can argue he could’ve/should’ve known sooner. But, I argue the conniving covering-up of an addict cannot be underestimated.

I would have an issue with him being the long-term answer, but I dont read the release that way. Furthermore, what if we remove him tomorrow? And replace him with whom?

That’s why I do agree a periodic update o. The search is a valid request.
flameshaw liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 7th, 2021, 2:04 am

Yes.
Intimate knowledge? The board seldom met in Lynchburg. Most of the time it was by conference call. Not sure how someone from Alaska and other far away places would have "intimate knowledge" of things happening in Lynchburg? I am told, by a member of the Bored, that the meetings themselves, were quite cavalier.
What is very sad, is that there were several board members, in Lynchburg, who knew about many things that were going on and chose not to get involved. One highly-placed individual, chose to pull a Peter and deny any knowledge and pull his head inside his shell, until the personal danger passed.
Jr. as the case with most leaders, with roots in the funnymental circles, ruled with an unquestioned, iron fist, just as his dad did. However, Sr. was much more diplomatic and had the personality to pull it off, without appearing overbearing. In the end though, there was no question that Sr. was running the entire show.
Hopefully as a university body, we have learned a hard lesson regarding oversight. Not yet convinced, we can hope.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There are plenty of things I'm sure I haven't heard of that are probably damaging. Doesn't make them any less damaging. So I'm not sure what point those claiming ignorance are trying to make.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]