This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: November 18th, 2021, 11:23 pm
lawdawg2002 wrote: November 18th, 2021, 11:15 am Not saying I'm for or against, but Mike Pompeo is around LU a lot. If he doesn't run for POTUS, would the BOT pick him as president of LU?
Do we really need more politics? :roll:
Politics are involved in every part of our life. 99.9% of universities are 100% into one-party politics. Why should we shy away from it? Something about salt and light. As I recall, Jesus engaged the politicians of his day, even a tax collector. :roll:
ballcoach15 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t care if our president has something to say about politics, as long as he’s saying it because of the gospel. The reason I wouldn’t want someone like Pompeo is because he is a politician. For politicians, usually politics and partisanship come first.

Now, if we were to hire a top-flight academic or public Christian intellectual who also has conservative politics, that would be great.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 19th, 2021, 8:25 am I don’t care if our president has something to say about politics, as long as he’s saying it because of the gospel. The reason I wouldn’t want someone like Pompeo is because he is a politician. For politicians, usually politics and partisanship come first.

Now, if we were to hire a top-flight academic or public Christian intellectual who also has conservative politics, that would be great.
I view Pompeo more as a public servant. He is a Christian intellectual. And graduated #1 from the academy also.

By the way I love what the business school has been doing to discourage Africa from being enticed by China. Pairs well with Christian missions in the region.
flameshaw liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Not sure where to put this, but it has to do with incoming administration, so I thought this was the closest thread.

I heard from sources today that the new HR boss seems intent on cleaning up bad (and illegal) practices and is asking very pointed questions about them. Unfortunately this means you might hear some more bad press as these practices are weeded out. Just depends on if anyone wants to talk to reporters about it or not. Happy to hear news of positive change, though.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: November 19th, 2021, 8:25 am . For politicians, usually politics and partisanship come first.......

............public Christian intellectual.
That's a good point about politicians for the most part. Doubtful we'd go in that direction unless under the most exceptional circumstances.

Also, what is a "Public Christian Intellectual?"
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I could have given you examples in past generations. These days, scholarly thought leaders seem to be enamored with social standing and get sucked into the politics vortex that generally leads to unwanted baggage.

JLFJR referenced that the board did indeed fund a study to find a new leader two years ago and yet still is at square one in the search. He does have a point.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, names that come to mind for me are people like John Stott, Carl Henry, Harold Ockenga, etc. unfortunately that generation has passed on. I’m not sure who it would be now. Names that come to mind are Tim Keller or Russell Moore, but I know they have also been accused, imo unfairly, of being politically motivated.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Don't know if any of those guys see themselves as intellectuals. The term often denotes something negativity. But, if I read you correctly, you're interested in a respected author. These guys aren't necessarily administrators or leaders though.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
They'd probably fill the role of Chancellor much better than University president. I'd like to see someone with an education and leadership background as University president but I have such low expectations with what is currently going on that I have stopped digging much into it.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 9th, 2022, 10:10 am I could have given you examples in past generations. These days, scholarly thought leaders seem to be enamored with social standing and get sucked into the politics vortex that generally leads to unwanted baggage.

JLFJR referenced that the board did indeed fund a study to find a new leader two years ago and yet still is at square one in the search. He does have a point.
He seems to keep telegraphing someone from the Graham camp. He's threatened by this in some way.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, it would be best if it was someone we’ve never heard of, but that’s not very Liberty.

To be clear I don’t think any of these people would be interested or fit the role, just explaining what “public Christian intellectual” looks like to me.

Also, it strikes me as strange that “intellectual” has a negative connotation in some corners. I don’t know why it would be a bad thing.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
As for Falwell v. Graham, the speculation has been rampant the past two years that Franklin was essentially behind exposing JLFJR in what could be described depnding on your perspective as a coup d'état with Prevo as his proxy. His son Will has certainly been significantly elevated in leadership on the board. That is just the rumor. Don't shoot the messenger.

I would have loved to have seen what the search firm recommended. But apparently the board sees Prevo as the perfect fit. Of course, there is always that 2024 target for beginning a real search ... or is it 2025? Just consider it whenever Prevo has collected enough benjamins for his stellar leadership.

Just looking in our small circle of like-minded schools, here are some possibilities:

Paul McNulty - President, Grove City College
At 64, he's probably not a long-term solution. But he has tremendous legal credentials and eight years running a college.

Larry Arn - President, Hillsdale College
Being 69 years old essentially rules him out. But he has legitimate academic credentials and might be a pattern for the type of leader we want to attract.

Philip Ryken - President, Wheaton College
Oxford-educated bonafides as well his relatively young age of 55 make him an intriguing prospect. I am not sure if our board is ready to hire a Presbyterian pastor as our president.

Thomas White - President, Cedarville University
If I were a betting man, here's the guy that I suspect will be at the top of the board's wish list. He's young and has the SBC credentials the board would love from Southeastern & Southwestern Baptist Seminaries. But he does come with some baggage as well. He hired a buddy to come in as a prof at Cedarville fresh off of being fired in Fort Worth from his church for sexual misconduct. The Cedarville Board had White step down for a period of time while an investigation was conducted. He was eventually reinstated as president but not before some board members resigned.

Robert Sloan - President, Houston Baptist University
Too old for serious consideration but has fantastic credentials. Formerly ran Baylor University before being forced out for being too conservative theologically and politically. If he was 10 years younger ... never mind.

Jim Gash - President, Pepperdine University
Lawyer who has run his school for 3 years after serving in various university positions for several decades. He also has gained some attention for his legal work in Uganda helped to reform their court system. He's in his Mid '50s making him viable from that aspect. But good luck getting him to move from Malibu.

Barry Corey - President, Biola University
The first president ever hired from outside the Biola ranks, he has solid credentials getting his masters & doctorate from Boston College after undergrad at Evangel. That PhD came from BC in Curriculum, Instruction & Administration back in '92. He's been in academia ever since. He co-authored a book in 2020 with Russell Moore called, "Make the Most of It: A Guide to Loving your College Years". At 60 years old, he would seem to be in play with nearly 15 years as a university head.

Adam Greenway - President, Southwestern Baptist Seminary
A relatively young guy in his 40s with strong SBC credentials that the board would appreciate, Greenway did undergrad at Samford followed by MDiv at Southwestern then a PhD at Southern. He tacked on a Master of Non-Profit Administration at Notre Dame. He has ties to the Grahams from his Southern days. He checks quite a few boxes. But he's also the guy brought in when Paige Patterson was given the boot. That might be an issue for some of our board.

There are plenty of others who I am sure the seach firm has gone deep investigating. Daniel Akin at SEBTS is too old at 65. Al Mohler is 62 but would never get through the board process. He would clean them all out as quickly as possible. David Platt is 43 but is likely more chancellor material with only running churches and the IMB on his resume. Russell Moore is 50 with the credentials but come on ...
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
This is a good list. Thanks, Sly.

Although you say White is probably odds on favorite, I’d hope we wouldn’t be looking to bring in someone with sexual-assault related baggage given our current circumstances.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
What I stated is that he would likely be the current board's favorite. Honestly right now he probably would be toxic for LU in light of everything going on. But he's the type of guy they'd love to hire. If not for the massive lack in judgement he displayed in doing his buddy a solid, I would be on board. But alas ...
stokesjokes wrote: March 8th, 2022, 10:32 pm Not sure where to put this, but it has to do with incoming administration, so I thought this was the closest thread.

I heard from sources today that the new HR boss seems intent on cleaning up bad (and illegal) practices and is asking very pointed questions about them. Unfortunately this means you might hear some more bad press as these practices are weeded out. Just depends on if anyone wants to talk to reporters about it or not. Happy to hear news of positive change, though.
You mean the 'new HR boss' who has worked in HR for years and knew/went along with these bad practices for years?
Sly Fox wrote: March 9th, 2022, 11:13 am As for Falwell v. Graham, the speculation has been rampant the past two years that Franklin was essentially behind exposing JLFJR in what could be described depnding on your perspective as a coup d'état with Prevo as his proxy. His son Will have certainly been significantly elevated in leadership on the board. That is just the rumor. Don't shoot the messenger.
So he was behind the "Tell the truth" article and the 'coup' Jr referred to back in 2019?
Whatisthetruth wrote: March 9th, 2022, 12:56 pm
stokesjokes wrote: March 8th, 2022, 10:32 pm Not sure where to put this, but it has to do with incoming administration, so I thought this was the closest thread.

You mean the 'new HR boss' who has worked in HR for years and knew/went along with these bad practices for years?
We will see where he goes with it, but he’s asking about the right things and seeking to rectify them, at least in this specific instance that I’m aware of.

*edit, originally quoted the wrong post
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
We need a president that's not political and has experience in education. It's wishful thinking that we'll get that though. I doubt a lot of current presidents from likeminded schools would want to touch us anyway with all the scandals that are going on.

and Sly, you should add Charleston Southern president Dondi Costin. He's a Liberty alumnus and a Chaplin for the USAF and from what it looks like, he's apolitical.
Just John liked this
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]