This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
So.....the public was/is clueless, students are clueless, the board was/is complicit and clueless and now only interested in self preservation, Prevo is equally complicit, clueless and uses the company jet too much; yet the University thrives. We are so lucky to have such shepherds to enlighten us to our dilemma. I find it hard to believe that even God could function and work in this environment. Like the Old Testament Church, we clamor for a King to be looked at favorably like all the other Nations. I doubt that any man or woman will be able to check all the boxes that this thread will create. Like the Isrealites, some already seem to have forgotten all the trials from which LU has already been delivered. God knew that JFJr would stumble. Perhaps praying without ceasing that God would send the leader that He sees fit would be appropriate instead of the constant berating of those who have served to this point. The Bible has much to say about "bridling the tongue(keyboard)". Some of our rhetoric encourages the enemy and his throng. They do not need our help.
LUOrange liked this
stokesjokes wrote: March 11th, 2023, 4:05 pm Trevin Wax- PhD in theology
Mark Dever- PhD in ecclesiastical history
Ed Newton- Doctorate in “pulpit communication and expository preaching”
It won't be any of the three guys mentioned here and will certainly not be David Jeremiah.
By LUOrange
Jeremiah and Huckabee would be my favorites if they weren't 82 and 67. I, also want Chadwell to coach some before he goes the Jim Tressel route for us.

Of the rest, Graham has the family name that would benefit us with Liberty's donors. Admittedly, I don't know much about him other than eating lunch with him one time in the Marriott when we both were undergrads in the 90's.

I don't know the rest, but I agree that I would prefer not to have a mega-Church Pastor take over unless they have a solid academic background, like Voddie Baucham. But I don't think we need a flashy name, just a solid Christian conservative with a strong academic background who'll put his focus on improving our academics and rebuilding/strengthening our evangelical roots, aka Training Champions for Christ while remembering that "If it's Christian, it ought to be better."
Racenut wrote: March 11th, 2023, 5:38 pm So.....the public was/is clueless, students are clueless, the board was/is complicit and clueless and now only interested in self preservation, Prevo is equally complicit, clueless and uses the company jet too much; yet the University thrives. We are so lucky to have such shepherds to enlighten us to our dilemma. I find it hard to believe that even God could function and work in this environment. Like the Old Testament Church, we clamor for a King to be looked at favorably like all the other Nations. I doubt that any man or woman will be able to check all the boxes that this thread will create. Like the Isrealites, some already seem to have forgotten all the trials from which LU has already been delivered. God knew that JFJr would stumble. Perhaps praying without ceasing that God would send the leader that He sees fit would be appropriate instead of the constant berating of those who have served to this point. The Bible has much to say about "bridling the tongue(keyboard)". Some of our rhetoric encourages the enemy and his throng. They do not need our help.
Your theological take is intriguing
God used Babylonian Kings for His purpose so I’m pretty sure He can manage the Keystone Cops LU has on its Board.
And I’m 100% positive the ‘Nations’ don’t look favorably on Prevo running an Academic Institution. And that’s not exactly Positive or a bad take.
I have yet to see anyone take away from the fact Junior did a good job fiscally in steering the ship. Not sure anyone has taken their eye off the fact LU used to be in dire straights
Wanting simple standards for a Leader isn’t being Worldly. LU wasn’t run by various Judges and is now looking for a King. LU is (or at least should be) looking for Leaders (shepherds) that can lead it in the Direction it should go. Currently, those people are not in place
jimflamesfan, ATrain liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
I enjoy your measured tone. I see no joy in calling out players or coaches by name or skewering the board as if we knew their intentions, even though critique may be warranted at times. We've all heard certain poster's criticism of the board ad nauseam and it is well documented. Maybe it's time to focus more on the great things that happen daily at LU and pray earnestly for those making decisions about the new leadership. Prospective students and leadership might be surprised to know that we are all on the same team.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Racenut wrote: March 11th, 2023, 5:38 pm So.....the public was/is clueless, students are clueless, the board was/is complicit and clueless and now only interested in self preservation, Prevo is equally complicit, clueless and uses the company jet too much; yet the University thrives.
Yes. Plenty of successful organizations thrive in spite of poor leadership. There are plenty of stories throughout the Bible of God doing amazing things despite the short comings of people.
Purple Haize, ATrain liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
We all know it will be the orange guy.
Purple Haize liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I have never heard Will Graham's name in reference to the presidential opening. But it has been prominent for the other slot for a couple of years now. I have no inside knowledge of his supposed interest.

The names being bandied about in this thread are among those I have heard quite a bit in recent weeks. But several other names have also been dropped by those in the know. Once again, all of the names I have heard required some googling. That's not necessarily a bad thing. My guess is they have a very short list right now. Perhaps even a clearly established candidate with mutual interest.

Racenut - Is holding leadership accountable anti-Biblical? Isn't that what got us into this mess in the first place?
LU 57, Purple Haize, thepostman and 2 others liked this
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
Of course not, but beating a dead horse and constantly calling attention to missteps by the board isn't encouraging or constructive. Especially when you insert yourself as someone privy to motives and intentions that are clearly conjecture on your part. Check out the fruits of the spirit and see if any of them apply.
Racenut wrote: March 11th, 2023, 8:37 pm It is really comforting to have you as the arbiter of all things clueless and inefficient. I will sleep much better knowing that you have a finger on the pulse.
For someone asking for a toning down of the rhetoric I find this post quite condescending.
Purple Haize liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Huckabee couldn't afford the drop in pay for all the products he shills for. And from personal knowledge, he will shill for a whole lot of things, the only motive being $.

Hoping for someone with strong educational chops. Not known primarily for politics. Less flashy is good.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The primary name I hear mentioned the most has a Ph.D. from one of the SBC Big Six seminaries and was a dean of a small college for a period of time. That's a VAST improvement from our current situation. But I agree that it would be nice to have some better academic credentials to lead a university of this size. Threading the needle with this board made of political junkies and old donors to Doc back in the day is no easy task.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Franklin Graham is delivering the commencement speech this year. Does anyone see any significance to that as far as the next president is concerned? Not that he's the one but someone who might be affiliated.
LUOrange liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Franklin has too many other irons in the fire. But by all accounts he is a bit of a king-maker in this process.

And yes, Scroggins is the most common name being bandied about these days. Here is a profile:

Jimmy H. Scroggins IV Ph.D.
Lead Pastor, Family Church - Multi-Site in SE Florida
Professor of Christian Ministry - The Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville
Former Dean of Boyce College (2004-2008)
Author of Several Books on Parenting & Evangelism

BS in Economics - Jacksonville University
MDiv in Missions/Missionary Studies & Missiology - SBTS
PhD in Missions/Missionary Studies & Missiology - SBTS

Twitter
LinkedIn
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
I have also heard Jimmy Scroggins' name raised multiple times. Someone said Scroggins was questioned about this and said categorically no. I have nothing to verify that claim. His Boyce College experience at least gives him some experience running an academic institution, albeit a small, focused one.
LUOrange liked this
So, the Chancellor and President are going to be pastors by trade, with one of them having a terminal degree and a little experience in the academic world?

The Board seems like a bunch of relics from a bygone era of the university. This isn't the 80s/90s anymore. Faith is still at the center of the university, but we offer a wide array of degree programs. I really was hoping to see some strategic thinking with this hire to push us towards gaining a little more credibility beyond our core faith-based offerings.
ballah09 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Once again, this is just what I am hearing. The board could have shifted directions in the past couple of weeks. There are many other names that have been pushed my way over the past few weeks.
By Ill flame
I think it's easy to look at a candidate like Scroggins and be frustrated because we could do better but I'm not looking at it that way. I see a clearly more qualified president than we've ever had. We've never had a president with a PHD before or one with prior educational administrative experience, especially at a school other than LU or his Alma mater. It wouldn't be a sexy decision by any means but i think we can all agree it would be a step in the right direction.
stokesjokes liked this
Sly Fox wrote: March 13th, 2023, 6:26 pm For the record, John Borek had a PhD from Georgia State and was president of LU from '97 to '04. He's still on our board of trustees FWIW. Cue Haize's snickering.
It was a guffaw
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]