This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:31 am Seriously though, regardless of the official word, you would have to think that Junior, Jonathon, and Mark D need to settle their differences, sit down, work it out, and ensure that the shared vision of their fathers advances into the future.
I do not see Mark D as a player in this deal. His standing in anything that happens at the university, is very minimal compared to the Falwell's.
Now as far as Jonathon and Jr. settling their differences, I don't see it happening either. They have been at odds for more than 40 years. I know that circumstances do change, so there is always a possibility of reconciliation. I know that there has been some softening, since Jr. "fell down the stairs" tripping over liquor bottles that were collected for recycling. We will have to wait and see.
If Jonathon ends up taking a major role in the university going forward, I suspect the relationship will become more strained.
Personally, if I were Jr. I would take my millions and move to Montana or Idaho, or somewhere with no pools and where I am unlikely to be recognized, everywhere I go. 8) 8) 8)
thepostman, Just John liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I don't want to minimize anything. Not even Junior and his contributions. It's not much of a stretch to imagine that the names Falwell, DeMoss, and Williams still matter.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Never really worried about big Jerry too much. He had that Rob Roy quality. Admired the courage. But Little Jerry, I dunno. He's the antithesis. I know he's gone, but sometimes I wonder, if the little guy is lurking in the shadows somewhere, pulling all the strings, and of course, with zero accountability.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: October 16th, 2020, 10:18 pm Never really worried about big Jerry too much. He had that Rob Roy quality. Admired the courage. But Little Jerry, I dunno. He's the antithesis. I know he's gone, but sometimes I wonder, if the little guy is lurking in the shadows somewhere, pulling all the strings, and of course, with zero accountability.
ZERO CHANCE.
By rtb72
flameshaw wrote: October 17th, 2020, 1:40 pm
paradox wrote: October 16th, 2020, 10:18 pm Never really worried about big Jerry too much. He had that Rob Roy quality. Admired the courage. But Little Jerry, I dunno. He's the antithesis. I know he's gone, but sometimes I wonder, if the little guy is lurking in the shadows somewhere, pulling all the strings, and of course, with zero accountability.
ZERO CHANCE.
He could never stay in the shadows....Jr. is to arrogant and pompous. You'd know if he were....
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ZERO CHANCE.
Zero? What makes you so confident?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: October 5th, 2020, 7:26 am I think his views on women are being twisted. To be expected, because he has a clear understanding of modern day feminism. He also understands clearly the modern SJ movement. Maybe he's not interested in the job, Liberty needs him a lot more than he needs Liberty.
No, Liberty doesn't need him
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 17th, 2020, 2:05 pm
ZERO CHANCE.

Zero? What makes you so confident?
I hear things every now and then. :) Besides it makes common sense. The BOT is not going to let him go and then follow his instructions or pulling strings behind the curtain. Some of the bored, who did not know about his "problems" feel betrayed and wouldn't pour water on him if he was aflame. :).
Last edited by flameshaw on October 18th, 2020, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The board i can buy but it is hard to believe he isn't in contact with anybody in sr leadership positions. That is how little faith I have left in some people who are still there.

I'd love to be wrong.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: October 18th, 2020, 8:31 am
TH Spangler wrote: October 5th, 2020, 7:26 am I think his views on women are being twisted. To be expected, because he has a clear understanding of modern day feminism. He also understands clearly the modern SJ movement. Maybe he's not interested in the job, Liberty needs him a lot more than he needs Liberty.
No, Liberty doesn't need him
Why? Jr left a mess. Liberty needs a leader that's willing to call sin a sin. Save71 :!:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He isn't coming so it is a pointless discussion. Sorry to disappoint you @TH Spangler . I doubt neither he nor Liberty are interested. Which has been discussed ad nauseam at this point.

I'd imagine we won't have a new president until the independent investigation is complete. The new leader will want to know what kind of mess he/she are inheriting.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 18th, 2020, 1:28 pm He isn't coming so it is a pointless discussion. Sorry to disappoint you @TH Spangler . I doubt neither he nor Liberty are interested. Which has been discussed ad nauseam at this point.

I'd imagine we won't have a new president until the independent investigation is complete. The new leader will want to know what kind of mess he/she are inheriting.
Save71. Bring in someone just like Doc.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: October 18th, 2020, 1:57 pm
TH Spangler wrote:
It’s almost like your just trolling. TH, you’ve really got to be more careful with these man crush fantasies you have on pastors and politicians.
Everyone should have a good roll model. I cant think of better ones than Doc or Dr Voddie.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: October 18th, 2020, 1:54 pm
thepostman wrote: October 18th, 2020, 1:28 pm He isn't coming so it is a pointless discussion. Sorry to disappoint you @TH Spangler . I doubt neither he nor Liberty are interested. Which has been discussed ad nauseam at this point.

Yes, that would be great. Not going to happen. Guys like him are bigger than life and one of a kind. Not to mention the visionary who then gave birth to the vision.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 18th, 2020, 12:38 pm The board i can buy but it is hard to believe he isn't in contact with anybody in sr leadership positions. That is how little faith I have left in some people who are still there.

I'd love to be wrong.
Jr. honestly doesn't think he did anything wrong. Really. Even the most hard-core supporter/enabler would have trouble backing that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: October 18th, 2020, 9:09 pm
thepostman wrote: October 18th, 2020, 12:38 pm The board i can buy but it is hard to believe he isn't in contact with anybody in sr leadership positions. That is how little faith I have left in some people who are still there.

I'd love to be wrong.
Jr. honestly doesn't think he did anything wrong. Really. Even the most hard-core supporter/enabler would have trouble backing that.
You’ve met ballcoach, right?
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
In my opinion they will take the Interim tag off of Prevo and let him be President for a few years. I think they want things to settle a bit and not make a rash decision for the next president. Prevo has already come in and removed some of the unqualified, overpaid, positions, but IMO still has to remove some of the others that have been put in key positions because of their last name. I would still love to see some of the old talent come back to the University. Hartless, Peterson, Zealand, etc... I think it would be hard to convince them to come back, but they all still are living here (working remote for other institutions).

The University is in great shape. The infrastructure is there. The quality of kid is there. We have to pay faculty better, grow our diversity and get past this stupid COVID thing, and we will be back on track again.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: October 19th, 2020, 8:36 am The University is in great shape. The infrastructure is there. The quality of kid is there. We have to pay faculty better, grow our diversity and get past this stupid COVID thing, and we will be back on track again.
And don't drift down the path other "one time" Christians Colleges did. I won't name them, but you know who they are.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: October 19th, 2020, 8:36 am In my opinion they will take the Interim tag off of Prevo and let him be President for a few years. I think they want things to settle a bit and not make a rash decision for the next president. Prevo has already come in and removed some of the unqualified, overpaid, positions, but IMO still has to remove some of the others that have been put in key positions because of their last name. I would still love to see some of the old talent come back to the University. Hartless, Peterson, Zealand, etc... I think it would be hard to convince them to come back, but they all still are living here (working remote for other institutions).

The University is in great shape. The infrastructure is there. The quality of kid is there. We have to pay faculty better, grow our diversity and get past this stupid COVID thing, and we will be back on track again.
Speaking of unqualified and overpaid, there is still the elephant on the mountain in the skinny jeans. Until he is gone, most of the rest is window dressing. He is the biggest blowhard/fake since Jim Bakker and the Piano Man, Swaggert. IMHO.
I am ok with removing the entire F clan and extended family members, except for TF. He actually works hard, is not overpaid and the best ambassador that LU has ever had, except for the Big Guy himself. He is the best ROI we have on the mountain. Responsible for tremendous amount of great students and athletes coming to LU. That is undeniable.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Have all the Falwell’s been removed? Have all the people they’ve hired to hanger on jobs been fired?
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]