This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
If you're looking for a president who meets all the requirements; Academically, and Spiritually then Dondi Costin meets all them... Former professor at TCU, former military Chaplin and for Ballcoach he's a military general. He's currently Charleston Southern president.
Jonathan Carone, rtb72 liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: November 19th, 2020, 9:24 am If Ben Carson wasn't a seventh day Adventist he'd be a fun candidate. Not a politician by trade, overwhelmingly intelligent, academic and articulate, and a little sleepy.

I do think looking to the chaplain corps of the military is a good place to look. People who have made a career of faith based leadership. Not saying it's a prerequisite, just an intelligent place to search.

Is there anyone else at the top in a non faith career field that wears their faith on their sleeve? Someone to move the school towards STEM and research would be excellent.
Francis Collins would be the obvious one, but he’d be stepping way down to come here.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
"Francis Collins would be the obvious one, but he’d be stepping way down to come here."

I don't see how it would ever happen... but that is a very intriguing name.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 19th, 2020, 2:11 pm
47/5-2 wrote: November 19th, 2020, 12:32 pm "Francis Collins would be the obvious one, but he’d be stepping way down to come here."

No thanks.
I think I know the answer, but why not?

He’s head and shoulders the most academically qualified of anybody discussed so far.
He’s currently the president of the NIH, so he’s got large organizational leadership experience.
He’s outspoken about his faith.
He’s non-political.

Not that there’s a chance that he’d be interested, but he looks like the dream candidate to me.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
What President position are we talking about? As I remember, the communication went out that we were going to have a spiritual president and an educational president.
Last I heard, one/both of those positions could take a year to hire, (which is ludicrous).
IMO, and from better sources, Jonathon has a 90+% chance to be the next spiritual leader. I think Prevo is kinda enjoying the perks of being the BMOC right now. The quicker we can find the right person(s), the better off LU will be. I wouldn't purposely hurry, just for the sake of change, but it shouldn't take a year. If it does, the entire Board should resign. It might not be a bad idea anyway. 8) 8)
By Jonathan Carone
And I would bet Jonathan would want something different for his kids than he got from his dad.

That’s not a knock on Doc, but you always see second generation leaders having different priorities because they were the “casualty” of the first generation running so hard.
JK37, Sly Fox, LUAlum1215 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 18th, 2020, 10:04 pm Trump’s vice president and face of the covid response doesn’t bring a lot of baggage.

That’s a funny idea.
I thought Trump was the Face of the Covid Response. You can’t have it both ways.
Pence will probably get high marks from Governors etc for his Administrative and Communication during everything. He was Mr 15 Days To Flatten The Curve.
The fact that he is the Anti Trump in just about every Administrative Metric, not to mention Spiritual walk is what makes him attractive.
stokesjokes wrote: November 19th, 2020, 2:43 pm
TH Spangler wrote: November 19th, 2020, 2:11 pm
47/5-2 wrote: November 19th, 2020, 12:32 pm "Francis Collins would be the obvious one, but he’d be stepping way down to come here."

No thanks.
I think I know the answer, but why not?

He’s head and shoulders the most academically qualified of anybody discussed so far.
He’s currently the president of the NIH, so he’s got large organizational leadership experience.
He’s outspoken about his faith.
He’s non-political.

Not that there’s a chance that he’d be interested, but he looks like the dream candidate to me.
His objection to YEC is probably the big one. His faith seems to be born more out of logic(no creation without a Creator) than of faith. And that's probably what you'll usually see with the analytic types.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
That’s what I figured, but didn’t want to assume. It’s a shame too, because YEC is not a belief you will
find among those in the highest levels of STEM fields. It would at least be super rare. IMO that would be unnecessarily disqualifying good candidates who are, like Collins calls himself, “serious Christians.”
47/5-2 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: November 20th, 2020, 1:48 pm That would make since that former coach used to work for Prevo in Anchorage.
Dale Gibson didn’t coach in Alaska. He’s the only ex LU hoops coach with a Doctorate. Although Hankinson might have too
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:03 pm Didn't RD coach high school in Alaska?

Ballcoach has thrown out some wild rumors but ir that is who he is talking about, that might be the wildest.
RD coached at Anchorage Christian Academy, and yes, Prevo was his boss. Even so, I'd be surprised if the school hired him in any capacity.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 12:32 pm Rumor control has it that a former basketball coach might be returning to LU in a position outside of athletics.
What position?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Hanky has like four unfinished doctorate. Love the man. Lol

I’m calling BS on this about he who shall not be named.

Another former coach just retired. Maybe there’s a seat for him back on the mountain? One can dream.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 5:40 pm Hanky has like four unfinished doctorate. Love the man. Lol

I’m calling BS on this about he who shall not be named.

Another former coach just retired. Maybe there’s a seat for him back on the mountain? One can dream.
That would be fantastic, but based on him saying that his main reason for retiring was to be able to spend more time with his daughters and grandchildren in Canada, I doubt it will happen.
JK37 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 20th, 2020, 5:04 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: November 20th, 2020, 12:32 pm Rumor control has it that a former basketball coach might be returning to LU in a position outside of athletics.
What position?
Well, it's already been established that Franklin Graham is coming here in a blockbuster deal sends Jonathon Falwell and a player to be named later to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

Graham will be chancellor. Michael Scott will serve in the President/Regional Manager role. Dwight Schrute will be the assistant to the Regional Manager. And RD will serve as assistant to the assistant to the Regional Manager. ...all according to sources.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:00 pm
Sly Fox wrote: November 20th, 2020, 1:48 pm That would make since that former coach used to work for Prevo in Anchorage.
Dale Gibson didn’t coach in Alaska. He’s the only ex LU hoops coach with a Doctorate. Although Hankinson might have too
I once heard that Gibson wanted to bring Ralph Sampson to LU as an assistant.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 21st, 2020, 9:59 am
I once heard that Gibson wanted to bring Ralph Sampson to LU as an assistant.
The idea was discussed but not seriously considered
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Dale Gibson was my bowling teacher at LU. Don't think he was ever affiliated with Prevos in Alaska...I think I've known him as long as Jerry was in Alaska.
Athens Regional

@ballcoach15 Are you okay? Did you get your hea[…]

This year's men’s basketball?

Looks like both Jaylen Davis and Ben Southerland a[…]

2025 Recruiting Discussion

Now that we have the current roster finalized, by […]

Future Schedules.... Again

Did Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Qatar join the […]