This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I hope the board doing the hiring is looking in the same direction as most on this board. Sly's list is a great start and Costin is a great addition.

After a firm commitment to Christ, I would like to see someone with academic administration experience. Generally, the experience should not be from a seminary because seminaries focus only on revealed truth, while universities and college deal in both revealed truth and the discovery of truth. I prefer the experience from somewhere other than Liberty, because Liberty desperately needs someone with ideas on administration from somewhere else. The person should be mostly apolitical. Far more of this generation of Christian college students are apolitical than when I was in college. Students now believe in causes and not parties. I would also like to see someone who has increased the academic profile of their school, such as a school that has risen in US News & World Report rankings (Everyone knows they are manipulated, but we keep citing them.).

Also, don't forget that there are Christian administrators in public institutions also. They would need to make themselves known to the search committee because they are more difficult to spot, but they are out there and some are very well respected in academia. Instant credibility would really help Liberty.
Sly Fox, Baybird, Just John liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Let the record show that I was just dropping a few names out there that would be obvious to anyone doing a search of anything beyond, "Hey. Jerry? Didn't the little church you ran up in Alaska have a Christian school? Terrific! You're hired to run largest Christian universty on the planet! We don't need to look any further. And didn't you say you had a doctorate? Yeah a Hyles-Anderson honorary degree carries serious clout. That school's reputation is pristine. And can we bring back your buddy Vines? He'll be a great asset as we trudge through sexual assault scandals. He'll know exactly how we should handle things."
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 9th, 2022, 11:13 am As for Falwell v. Graham, the speculation has been rampant the past two years that Franklin was essentially behind exposing JLFJR......
Exposed? I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the Falwells "exposed" themselves. And I might add that old, naked, and Falwell is not among the most pleasant things one can imagine.
Last edited by paradox on March 9th, 2022, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sly Fox liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 9th, 2022, 3:43 pm Let the record show that I was just dropping a few names out there......
What we really need is someone with significant experience as a professional comedian. But background would also need to be vast. So, ideally, this individual's background also includes experience as a successful gameshow host.
Last edited by paradox on March 9th, 2022, 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 9th, 2022, 12:49 pm My recommendation would be get a 3 or 4 star Retired General. (But there are a couple good candidates on the list above.)
General Flynn seems to have time on his hands in between conspiracy conferences at churches. He would make some people happy. :lol:
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 9th, 2022, 3:43 pm Let the record show that I was just dropping a few names out there that would be obvious to anyone doing a search of anything beyond, "Hey. Jerry? Didn't the little church you ran up in Alaska have a Christian school? Terrific! You're hired to run largest Christian universty on the planet! We don't need to look any further. And didn't you say you had a doctorate? Yeah a Hyles-Anderson honorary degree carries serious clout. That school's reputation is pristine. And can we bring back your buddy Vines? He'll be a great asset as we trudge through sexual assault scandals. He'll know exactly how we should handle things."
Sadly on point. I wonder if Prevo got his honorary degree at Hyles Anderson at the same time they gave one to John R. Rice's horse. (Actually true).
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 9th, 2022, 5:44 pm
Sly Fox wrote: March 9th, 2022, 11:13 am As for Falwell v. Graham, the speculation has been rampant the past two years that Franklin was essentially behind exposing JLFJR......
Exposed? I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure the Falwells "exposed" themselves. And I might add that old, naked, and Falwell is not among the most pleasant things one can imagine.
That’s funny right there!
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
What we really need is a fixer. Someone who can do a complete overhaul and renovation, if you need one. A real do-it-yourselfer. Someone well-known. And also with experience as host of a successful home improvement television show. Surprised that no one hasn't mentioned Bob Vila yet. Great guy.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Totally random but I have a pic of my dad on John R Rice's horse somewhere in boxes from back in the Wheaton days. These are names that 90% of those on here have likely never heard of before this thread. But Old Fundies recognize. And in most cases cringe. Let the record show my family still holds John R Rice in esteem. Heck, my grandfather wrote his authorized biography. The same can't be said for most of their IFB contemporaries.

Now back to the random but rampant speculation about who the board has chosen not to even consider because Prevo is their faithful leader.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 10th, 2022, 9:45 am What we really need is a fixer. Someone who can do a complete overhaul and renovation, if you need one. A real do-it-yourselfer. Someone well-known. And also with experience as host of a successful home improvement television show. Surprised that no one hasn't mentioned Bob Vila yet. Great guy.
I thought this was headed towards Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: March 10th, 2022, 9:45 am What we really need is a fixer. Someone who can do a complete overhaul and renovation, if you need one. A real do-it-yourselfer. Someone well-known. And also with experience as host of a successful home improvement television show. Surprised that no one hasn't mentioned Bob Vila yet. Great guy.
If you want someone more hands on, Norm Abram would be your guy. Or someone with ties to education, Roy Underhill.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 10th, 2022, 9:56 am Totally random but I have a pic of my dad on John R Rice's horse somewhere in boxes from back in the Wheaton days. These are names that 90% of those on here have likely never heard of before this thread. But Old Fundies recognize. And in most cases cringe. Let the record show my family still holds John R Rice in esteem. Heck, my grandfather wrote his authorized biography. The same can't be said for most of their IFB contemporaries.

Now back to the random but rampant speculation about who the board has chosen not to even consider because Prevo is their faithful leader.
Allowing me to veer a little...I agree on Rice. He was pretty strident on some stuff like "bobbed hair" and "dance halls" :) but he was not a Bob Jones-type and hung in there with Billy Graham longer than most fundies and stayed with Jerry when many in the fundamental fringes were critical. He seemed to be truly humble. Fascinating that your grandfather wrote his bio Sly.

Back to the search...a couple of years from now.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: March 10th, 2022, 1:46 pm
paradox wrote: March 10th, 2022, 9:45 am What we really need is a fixer. Someone who can do a complete overhaul and renovation. A real do-it-yourselfer. Someone well-known. And also with experience as host of a successful home improvement television show. Surprised that no one's mentioned Bob Vila yet. Great guy.
If you want someone more hands on, Norm Abram would be your guy. Or someone with ties to education, Roy Underhill.
.......Or we could just ditch the home improvement project altogether and revert back to the previous model by going with another disoriented son of a religious right icon. Frank Schaeffer.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: March 10th, 2022, 2:00 pm
Sly Fox wrote: March 10th, 2022, 9:56 am Totally random but I have a pic of my dad on John R Rice's horse somewhere in boxes from back in the Wheaton days. These are names that 90% of those on here have likely never heard of before this thread. But Old Fundies recognize. And in most cases cringe. Let the record show my family still holds John R Rice in esteem. Heck, my grandfather wrote his authorized biography. The same can't be said for most of their IFB contemporaries.

Allowing me to veer a little...I agree on Rice. He was pretty strident on some stuff like "bobbed hair" and "dance halls" :) but he was not a Bob Jones-type and hung in there with Billy Graham longer than most fundies and stayed with Jerry when many in the fundamental fringes were critical. He seemed to be truly humble. Fascinating that your grandfather wrote his bio Sly.

Another link between Prevo and Rice. They both have honorary degrees from HAC. At least Rice's horse did. Upon receiving same, Rice's horse took a dump on the stage. He was smarter than Prevo, the horse knew what the honorary degree was worth.
Another aside, Rice was a pretty decent guy, but he constantly was dishonest when printing sermons in his fish wrap, The Sword of the Lord. Many times he printed sermons by Charles H. Spurgeon (sp?), but would cut out parts of it, because C.H. was a Calvinist and was not bashful about it.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: March 10th, 2022, 4:01 pm
Just John wrote: March 10th, 2022, 2:00 pm
Sly Fox wrote: March 10th, 2022, 9:56 am Totally random but I have a pic of my dad on John R Rice's horse.....

....Rice's horse took a dump on the stage......
Well, since we can't get Rice and we can't get Rice's horse....then maybe we should go after the next best thing....like John R. Rice Jr.'s son's love child. He's available. He's unemployed. And he's completely unqualified. I say we hire him.
With as long as our school has been around now and as many residential/online graduates that we have...aren't there some alums that have college administration experience that could become our next president? I'm thinking someone like an Ed Stetzer, currently in the administration at Wheaton or Emily Heady, currently an assoc. VP at Longwood. Those are two...I bet there are some more of folks like that out there. It wouldn't be a splash hire...but maybe what we need at this point is someone who loves and is familiar with the LU experience first hand, while at the same time having college administration experience. :)
stokesjokes liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I love Ed but he is lacking in administrative credentials. He's a thought leader more than an organizational leader.

As for Emily, she most certainly should be in play. She should have been our provost long ago and never should have been forced out. But without top of the house exprience she is probably better suited as an understudy to whomever we hire next. I also wonder how the smear campaign that led to her leaving is viewed now by the board in light of the events of the past two years. Her return to campus would be a huge gesture toward the faculty that based on my interactions feels like little change has come to their standing under the Prevo regime.

We do have other alumni now at assignments elsewhere. But honestly based on the experience of the past 5-10 years, fresh blood with externally recognized credentials is probably what we need right now. But apparently our board is content with the lack of credentials currently sitting in the President's Office soaking the school out of millions and a private jet for family getaways. In a vaccum of power, someone had to seize the opportunity. It turns out it was a guy in Alaska and I don't see him letting anyone stand between him and piles of cash anytime soon.
Baybird liked this
47/5-2 wrote: March 10th, 2022, 3:52 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 10th, 2022, 3:51 am Gordon College has a guy….
Didn't he just get there??? Maybe we could work a sign and trade....
He did. But he’s the type of person LU desperately needs. Has academic credentials, young, solid Christian credentials, extremely relatable to the student body and the only skeletons in his closet are from who associated with as a teenager!. And he worked in DC and still has connections. It has less than 0% Chance of happening but my personal roladex did produce the Mens Soccer Coach. (Yep. Totally taking credit for that despite having nothing to do with it)
rtb72 liked this
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]