This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 7th, 2021, 6:38 pm There are plenty of things I'm sure I haven't heard of that are probably damaging. Doesn't make them any less damaging. So I'm not sure what point those claiming ignorance are trying to make.
Save their jobs, self preservation.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: February 6th, 2021, 11:40 pm Really poor judgement to put a Hyles guy in after a major scandal. Not saying that it's happening, but it makes you wonder who is pulling the strings behind the scenes. Just makes me wonder. The whole thing has an unsavory feel to it.
Well, it doesn't take too much looking to find that there might have been a skeleton or two left behind in Alaska. It must be hard to be a leader in a Christian organization without falling into any number of traps...nepotism, self-dealing, various illicit escapades, etc. Also, he isn't the only one who doesn't really have the chops to lead the school. If I were hiring, I'd choose Sly over Prevo!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
It is safe to say that JP is not a "Hyles guy." However, he was obviously close enough to the stench of that hell hole, that some of the stink did invade his person at one time, to some degree.
TTU shared many of the same views, "standards" with HAC, but not with the same zeal of worshiping the "managawd" that took place in Hammond, IN.
LU (then LBC), initially started down the same road. Most of the early college leadership was from BJU (another long story). Thankfully, most if not all of them, were freed from the slavery of legalism, under Sr's leadership.
All of that background to say this: JP is waaaaay too old and has been too close to the fundys for too long, to be leading LU. The sooner he leaves the better. IMHO
thepostman liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the vote of support, rogers3. But I'll pass.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Prevo step down. But the events of the past week are very troubling when looking at the big picture. If Prevo is anything other than a caretaker it is inappropriate based on the circumstances. That is the role of an interim. Is the school so addicted to autocracy that it cannot function properly without absolute powers resting on one man regardless of qualifications?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Hadnt had the time to read this thread other than in pieces for weeks.

Several things are clear

Jr is and has been done.

Few if any of the folks that are upset have a clue how a board of trustees functions or a board of elders works or any board.

Prevo is short term. If prevo was canned who is replacing him?? The same guys that the same 3 or 4 of you keep insisting get ousted. Makes lots of sense doesnt it. Pick the next guy long term by guys who may be gone anyway.

The removal of interim is purely procedural. Staff has to know that he has power to act. Decisions cant simply be brushed aside for a year or 2 until “the new person” is in place. Same goes for removal of family members.

I continue to hear that the lower levels of the board are keeping the pedal down. Same guys that said jr was out when i last posted that big time action was coming. If the results of the report are ignored and they show deep reaching issues as many think then you will see voluntary resignations pour in which will raise eyebrows.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:57 pm
Few if any of the folks that are upset have a clue how a board of trustees functions or a board of elders works or any board.
This comment isn't surprising; it seems that when some are critical of the operations of the school, a typical reaction might be that these folks don't really know what they are talking about. That being said, LU's board is certainly not like the typical board. In that sense, the bigger issue might be that while the operations of a typical board might not be beyond the understanding of many, the operations of Liberty's board are befuddling to most outsiders.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:57 pm I continue to hear that the lower levels of the board are keeping the pedal down. Same guys that said jr was out when i last posted that big time action was coming. If the results of the report are ignored and they show deep reaching issues as many think then you will see voluntary resignations pour in which will raise eyebrows.
Happy to hear this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 10th, 2021, 8:21 am
jinxy wrote: February 9th, 2021, 8:57 pm I continue to hear that the lower levels of the board are keeping the pedal down. Same guys that said jr was out when i last posted that big time action was coming. If the results of the report are ignored and they show deep reaching issues as many think then you will see voluntary resignations pour in which will raise eyebrows.
Happy to hear this
When the audit/investigation was in it's infancy, I heard there was another shoe to drop. It may be interesting before it is over.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 10th, 2021, 8:21 am
Happy to hear this
That is good, but I worry that the good ones will exit stage right à la Askew and Thomas.
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Why would they resign now when they didnt a year ago? There was zero hope of moving on from jr then.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote: February 10th, 2021, 12:39 pm Why would they resign now when they didnt a year ago? There was zero hope of moving on from jr then.
I could imagine someone hanging on and then going through the leadership change with high hopes. Whiles things have moved along, I think there is a real concern that the same nepotistic leaning remains. I've never advocated for clearing the Board, but some that remain at the highest levels seem to tolerate or even protect corruption. If dumping Jr. didn't have much of an effect, why hang around? There is a major issue with governance and it doesn't seem to be changing.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Jinxy wrote:Prevo is short term. If prevo was canned who is replacing him?? The same guys that the same 3 or 4 of you keep insisting get ousted. Makes lots of sense doesnt it. Pick the next guy long term by guys who may be gone anyway.
I hear you. And once again, I am not suggesting Prevo be canned. I am just concerned about the concentration of powers and the fact those currently in charge of determining the future are ill-equipped.
Jinxy wrote:Decisions cant simply be brushed aside for a year or 2 until “the new person” is in place.
I think this is what many of us are fearing.
By BlueBlood
I've said before that I'm not a Prevo guy - mostly because He seems to unnecessarily go out of his way to keep referencing Jr. in a positive light and I've never heard him be transparent about any of Jr’s wrongdoing with the students/public. He seems to habitually avoid or gloss over the bad. And that's not even addressing whether or not he is really qualified to be a college president or not.

That said, there is an advantage to LU's next president "replacing Prevo" rather than that president "replacing Jr." If that's the thought process, and LU is just creating some distance, and Prevo has been instructed to keep the ultimate low profile - I'm cool with it.
Last edited by BlueBlood on February 12th, 2021, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I have no problem with giving him credit for all of his efforts. From a business standpoint, he's done a phenomenal job. Not many would question that. However, his eccentric and lavish lifestyle disqualifies him from leadership here. That goes without saying.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Rogers. All my point is that its not so simple to just whack everybody and move on. There are some good folks involved at all levels of the board. This has been an eye opening experience for many. I do however think there is enough evidence to remove a couple so far that clearly covered for jr. Flameshaws peter story was pretty accurate on one imparticular. It actually does take time to do things the right way and the lower levels of the board are committed to seeing that through from everything ive heard. It sounds like the report may be sometime in march. Not sure if that means it will be public by then.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
My confusion comes from this investigation being tied to the search for the next leader. Am I now led to believe that the investigation will determine who will be left with the responsibility of choosing the next leader? I was under the impression that the investigation which I have heard goes well back before Junior ascended the throne was a separate issue. The investigation being focused on the past and potential ramifications for current folks and then the presidential/chancellor searches focused on the future. It sounds like one has to happen for the other to occur. Perhaps this is why we are stuck with board announcements about Prevo having full powers and no discussion whatsoever of search status. Has a search even been started? Has an executive search firm been hired? Clearly Prevo feels VERY comfortable in his current seat as he should if it may be years before any real action occurs to find a qualified person to run the university.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 11:25 am Sometimes, people are mis-informed, I.e. given incorrect information. Don't shoot the messenger..
Your #sources have proven time and again to be less than credible. We don’t need to shoot you because we never believe you.

However in this case, I can see it taking 12-18 months to find someone to take over on a more permanent basis
BlueBlood wrote: February 11th, 2021, 9:37 am I've said before that I'm not a Prevo guy - mostly because He seems to unnecessarily go out of his way to keep referencing Jr. in a positive light and I've never heard him be transparent about any of Jr’s wrongdoing with the students/public. He seems to habitually avoid or gloss over the bad. And that's not even addressing whether or not he is really qualified to be a college president or not.

That said, there is an advantage to LU's next president "replacing Prevo" rather than that president "replacing Jr." If that's the thought process, and LU is just creating some distance, and Prevo has been instructed to keep the ultimate low profile - I'm cool with it.
I actually think this is legally deliberate. If they even hint at mismanagement as it stands, Jr throws a lawsuit on while LU has bigger fish to fry long term. It's hush puppies.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:18 am Rogers. All my point is that its not so simple to just whack everybody and move on. There are some good folks involved at all levels of the board. This has been an eye opening experience for many. I do however think there is enough evidence to remove a couple so far that clearly covered for jr. Flameshaws peter story was pretty accurate on one imparticular. It actually does take time to do things the right way and the lower levels of the board are committed to seeing that through from everything ive heard. It sounds like the report may be sometime in march. Not sure if that means it will be public by then.
This is where my disappointment comes in. There were several on the bored who knew Jr. was not representing LU as he should and did nothing about it. In some cases, enabled him. Those people should not be on the search committee or the bored, effective tomorrow. IMHO.
bigsmooth liked this

Congress needs to get involved and pass a law ca[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]