This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
His name is not one that I have heard mentioned. That is probably aiming much higher than the candidates are being considered. But I agree that his credentials would be phenomenal.

There is nothing rock star-ish about the names that have been brought to me.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan seems like a shoe in for Chancellor. The name I've heard floating around for President doesn't really have the academic credentials I'd want in that position but I'd imagine this person already has a personal relationship with Prevo so that's probably the desire of the board. I hope I'm wrong and just getting bad info.
By Ill flame
Sly Fox wrote: March 7th, 2023, 5:09 pm As for the president position, I believe the names I have heard mentioned most seriously all have Ph.D. behind their name. But they are not brand names by any stretch of imagination. The shortlisted names that have been shared with me in the past couple of weeks have required some googling.
This gives me hope that it'll actually be someone that fits the schools needs right now. Do any of these names have previous experience in administrative roles at a school unrelated from LU?
By Racenut
Registration Days Posts
I thought I would add my two cents as someone outside of the fray who has not seen the sausage made as many on this board have. OF the many parents that I know who have students at LU currently, I get a distinctly different opinion of Prevo than the one I hear on this board. These parents seem to look at him as a real stabilizing factor after the JFJr debacle. Personally I can see some substance to this opinion. At least some of this comes from hearing from their students who seem to revere him. That is a much different vibe than I get from students of the three major universities in the triangle who probably couldn't name the president or chancellor of their school. Though only three hours away in South Raleigh, I frequently get in conversations when I where my LU gear and I can tell that there is much more name recognition than even a few years ago when my daughter and her husband graduated. I have shared the success of both of them in their respective fields and I'm just wondering if the pour mouthing of LU's academic reputation is just reaction to outside forces who would never give credence to any institution with an evangelical influence. I would think that the board would carefully and prayerfully consider those from "prestigious" academic institutions as I have been appalled at some of the ideas sprouting forth from these entities. I'm not really interested in this "brood of vipers". I have been blessed to become friends with several professors at LU who sit near me at football and basketball games and I don't hear any of this displeasure with the path that LU is on. Again, all on this board are much closer to the action than I am, but there seems to be a disconnect, am I wrong?
TH Spangler, LU 57, Baybird and 2 others liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
My impression from the students I interact with is that they aren’t all that curious about the inner-workings of the university, not nearly as much as the alumni that I know. They aren’t interested in his credentials or how he spends his time and the school’s money. He’s the guy that appears at events and gives a reassuring message or sends out a verse of the day.

Those of us who aren’t students anymore and are more curious about how the school operates don’t always like what we see. And we aren’t exposed to the public-facing, charming version of Prevo nearly as much.

Both of these end up being skewed pictures of the guy.

I remember being a student, everyone was infatuated with Jerry Jr because of his awkward convo announcements. Meanwhile, around that same time, he’s calling our basketball players retarded, openly insulting the LUPD chief, and showing lewd pictures of his wife to people at meetings. But if you heard from the students, they Loved him.
ATrain liked this
By BlueBlood
Racenut wrote: March 7th, 2023, 10:49 pm OF the many parents that I know who have students at LU currently, I get a distinctly different opinion of Prevo than the one I hear on this board. These parents seem to look at him as a real stabilizing factor after the JFJr debacle.
Agree. I have 3 students there right now. One who experienced the last year of Jr's shi# show, one who started the same month Jr left (having to explain her college choice to everyone during Jr's wilding Spring/Summer), and a freshman. For the older two - after living through all the unwanted attention that Jr brought on LU, they view the low-profile Prevo as a very welcomed calm. They just want to be college students. If they are ridiculed by anyone - they want it to be for their beliefs (which they can defend), not their president's antics.

Prevo achieved something by doing nothing at all.

That said - I believe it's time to start marching forward again. I do hope that LU can find a president that is both a defender of the faith and possesses superior academic credentials.
LUOrange, Baybird, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He was perfect for our board and for the clueless public. Sure.

But he should've never been put in that position because he should've been removed from the board for being completely clueless to Jr's behavior even though many less connected people (like myself) knew about a lot of the stuff way before it was made public.
Purple Haize, stokesjokes, ATrain and 1 others liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Suffice it to say that I have a different perspective than others with whom I respect. But we can all agree that a change is needed for a multitude of reasons.

There are two distinct factions driving the decision process based on what I have had described to me by people who are in the loop. I just hope they can come to an agreement that will help us move forward and return our focus towards developing Champions for Christ. Is that too much to ask?
Baybird, TH Spangler, LU 57 and 3 others liked this
By Ill flame
I think it's a great conversation. JR kept digging deeper and deeper holes and we just needed someone, anyone to step up and stop the digging. That's exactly what we got with Prevo, nothing more nothing less. I really dont care about Prevo either way. He hasnt hurt the school in any meaningful way but he hasnt really done much to improve it. It's been over two years, the digging has stopped and it's time for someone else to step up and take us to new heights. Basketball season is over, the WBC has started and it's been 70+ degrees outside all week for me so it's basically summer in my book. I'm past ready for a decision.
The issue is Prevo knew about the digging (or was negligent in his role as chair of the board) for a very long time before public embarrassment forced him to do anything about it. He could have stopped the digging long before it got as far as it did, but instead gave JR ridiculous contracts and no oversight or accountability for years. Even after JR was ousted, Prevo was publicly singing his praises and has yet to acknowledge any regret about his role on the board during JR’s tenure.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree that he’s been competent as president, but it’s not like he just showed up after JR was driven out. He was complicit and shouldn’t be president on that alone.
ATrain, Just John liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
MOST of the Bored knew about Jr's problem and did nothing about it. Jr. ruled by fear and intimidation, which is never a good thing. The entire Bored should be forced to resign and can be interviewed by the new President. If for no other reason than they have taken 2 years and we still don't have a replacement. (Should have been 90 days max). Also putting Marine in charge of the search committee was a major debacle. He is a certifiable nut IMHO.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have heard several names in the past couple of weeks and none of them will get anyone here excited. Recognizing the board has its own interests in self-preservation above what is best for the university, prepare yourself to be let down.

Look back at who we have had speaking in convo the past few months. Several of the names that have been shared with me have come from that list. Just not the splashy ones.
Here's the last 4 names that I have been hearing about hot and heavy at certain times over the last 6 months. I'll provide a mini-timeline on the names.

Will Graham- 6 months ago- I heard he was offered the job but turned it down to remain at BGEA.
Johnnie Moore- 3-5 months ago- His name was being mentioned a LOT. I hear that he wants the job but I think things have shifted from Johnnie and not sure how much he was actually considered.
Mike Huckabee- 2-3 months ago he was heavily mentioned for the role.
South Florida Pastor- (I will leave it at this for now)- I'm hearing his name a lot these days.
My prediction for the next President- Dr. Scott Hicks or the South Florida Pastor
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: March 11th, 2023, 9:24 am I have heard several names in the past couple of weeks and none of them will get anyone here excited. Recognizing the board has its own interests in self-preservation above what is best for the university, prepare yourself to be let down.

Look back at who we have had speaking in convo the past few months. Several of the names that have been shared with me have come from that list. Just not the splashy ones.
Here’s the list:

https://www.liberty.edu/osd/lu-stages/c ... /schedule/

An intriguing name on there is Trevin Wax, but probably too young and charismatic for our board. No one else seems to be qualified for the job from that list though. Maybe David Jeremiah, but he’s a million years old.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I keep hearing Jimmy Scroggins' name. Lead pastor of Family Church in South Florida. I've also heard Graham's name mentioned quite a bit. Neither are qualified to run a college the size of LU. But both would be a step up from our current president so there is that.
Tothehoopyall1 liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Glad to see the staff address the height and athle[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]