This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Logic
Have we ever stopped to think that what might be best for LIBERTY might be different than for our own personal political agendas? I’ll continue to vote right...but if I’m the next President of LU, I’m going to do so without pissing off the people that control my non-profit status.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I don’t think we should stay out of politics completely. We should definitely stay out of partisan politics and should engage much differently than we have.

The hard part is that engaging in divisive, antagonistic politics is easy. It’s much harder to engage in love and truth. And, for as long as I’ve been around, Liberty’s politics have been more of the former.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
We should never walk away from the public square but always being wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

We will never insult our way into changing the hearts and minds of those who disagree with us. And it should never get in the way of sharing Christ. If it does, our perspective is wrong.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:47 am We should never walk away from the public square but always being wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

We will never insult our way into changing the hearts and minds of those who disagree with us. And it should never get in the way of sharing Christ. If it does, our perspective is wrong.
The Evangelical role in the public square is influence not domination. However, many Evangelicals are easily intimidated and lack the nerve to simply influence. Following trends, seeking validation, timidity--all of these traits--unfortunately, are far too common among us.
By Jonathan Carone
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:10 am Charlie Kirk sponsored 80 buses taking people to the Capitol Riots to “fight for this president.”

Even more reason to shut down Falkirk.
To add to this:

On Kirk's radio show, Eric Metaxas - who is on the Liberty payroll - said "We need to fight to the death, to the last drop of blood" in the lead up to last Wednesday.

Kirk then defended and sympathized with the rioters.

Liberty needs to drop the Falkirk Center this week.
ballah09, Just John liked this
By cruzan_flame13
I suppose we have two definition of what a riot is. Not promoting any sides but what happened in Washington was a joke and over exaggerated. Even in their news shots(still wondering how a camera person was allowed to take shots of threatening event while others were told to get on the ground), anyone can see that most people were just walking in calmly. Then the cops opening the gates so people can even go up the stairs of the capital. So both sides are being a joke like usual because it's politics. I do believe that the new leadership should focus more on the Great Commission, at the same time one cannot get away from politics once they get money from the feds.
Tnobes liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 11th, 2021, 10:40 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 11th, 2021, 8:10 am Charlie Kirk sponsored 80 buses taking people to the Capitol Riots to “fight for this president.”

To add to this:

On Kirk's radio show, Eric Metaxas - who is on the Liberty payroll - said "We need to fight to the death, to the last drop of blood" in the lead up to last Wednesday.

So, you actually believe that Metaxas is literally calling for taking up arms? Isn't he the Veggie Tales guy? That would seem very odd. Possibly a little too passionate about the election right now, but it's doubtful that he advocates literal bloodshed over all this. We are not in the context of Wilberforce or Bonhoeffer right now. I would like to think he understands that.
By Jonathan Carone
paradox wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:29 am

To add to this:

So, you actually believe that Metaxas is literally calling for taking up arms? Isn't he the Veggie Tales guy? That would seem very odd. Possibly a little too passionate about the election right now, but it's doubtful that he advocates literal bloodshed over all this. We are not in the context of Wilberforce or Bonhoeffer right now. I would like to think he understands that.
You're trolling, right?

Metaxas wrote a book on Bonhoeffer and literally tweeted he prophesied this would happen:

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The Metaxas issue is very sad. What has come to light with him is how deep he is in some of the more problematic parts of the charismatic/prophetic side of evangelicalism. He built a reputation on intellectualism with his biographies and academic credentials, but it has turned out his theology is very suspect. He has linked Trump to his own and others’ prophetic visions and Biblical interpretations that he is unable to disentangle from them.

He contrasts very sharply with a figure like Robert Jeffress, who has solid theological training and was only joined to Trump based on a desire for influence and just as easily moved on when Trump was no longer the target of that influence.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, his Bonhoeffer bio is one of my favorite books. I really enjoyed following his scholarly works. His social accounts were really outstanding presenting a Christian perspective on modern culture. But the last couple of years it appears his financial compensation related to his radio show seems to have taken his eye off the ball toward politics. Hopefully that changes because he is very thought-provoking when he gets off the Trump train.

So I have to ask, do the events of the past week make Pence more or less likely to be a candidate for the LU Presidency? I honestly can't make up my mind.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Too many unknowns. Need to see what plays out. House will impeach Trump this week. And then a Senate trial in a month or so. I think that they need something like 17 GOP senators for a conviction. After the trial, should have a clearer picture.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:49 am The Veggie Tales guy is Phil Vischer and he is a great follow on twitter if you all are interested.

Rhetoric like that of Eric Metaxas is never beneficial and only leads to justification for radicals.
If you guys were academics or part of the literary community, I would assume that there was some kind of professional jealousy going on with the strange obsession with this guy. As far as Veggie Tales goes, he was a main writer there for years. To me, he'll always be the Veggie Tales guy.

Just so we're clear, you guys are on the anti-Franklin Graham wagon as well, right?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't think anybody is obsessed with the guy. I completely forgot he wrote for veggie tales so I am clearly not obsessed at all haha.

As far as Franklin goes. What qualifications does he have to be president of the University?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yep, Franklin’s a no for me. I like his nephew Boz and niece Jerusha- they’re more in-line with Billy’s legacy imho.

You’re overstating Metaxas’ involvement in VeggieTales. He was a writer for one of two of their later episodes.

I think the Metaxas issue is that he’s trading on the credibility that he built up by being a public intellectual, or at least the guy that introduces you to the public intellectuals, and he’s had this hard right turn where he’s the de facto leader of this strange hyper-spiritual Christian Nationalism.

We don’t give the same energy to someone like Wallnau because he’s always been a kook. Metaxas had some kind of weird, Trump-related conversion experience and is now using the platform he built to encourage violent revolution.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:16 pm The Metaxas issue is very sad. What has come to light with him is how deep he is in some of the more problematic parts of the charismatic/prophetic side of evangelicalism. He built a reputation on intellectualism with his biographies and academic credentials, but it has turned out his theology is very suspect. He has linked Trump to his own and others’ prophetic visions and Biblical interpretations that he is unable to disentangle from them.

He contrasts very sharply with a figure like Robert Jeffress, who has solid theological training and was only joined to Trump based on a desire for influence and just as easily moved on when Trump was no longer the target of that influence.
You guys might be overreacting just a little. He doesn't seem to fit the mold of any of these claims. I assume he's still Episcopalian. Words like prophetic and vision can be applied to Dostoevsky's literary warnings in his novels, which turned out to be true, btw. Augustine's City of God is another example. Kierkegaard is often read this way as well.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 11th, 2021, 3:38 pm Yep, Franklin’s a no for me. I like his nephew Boz and niece Jerusha- they’re more in-line with Billy’s legacy imho.

You’re overstating Metaxas’ involvement in VeggieTales. He was a writer for one of two of their later episodes.

I think the Metaxas issue is that he’s trading on the credibility that he built up by being a public intellectual, or at least the guy that introduces you to the public intellectuals, and he’s had this hard right turn where he’s the de facto leader of this strange hyper-spiritual Christian Nationalism.

We don’t give the same energy to someone like Wallnau because he’s always been a kook. Metaxas had some kind of weird, Trump-related conversion experience and is now using the platform he built to encourage violent revolution.
My point with Franklin Graham is that he's being branded as something bad. As far as president goes, we should all pretty much know what the likely outcome is there.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: January 11th, 2021, 1:49 pm For the record, his Bonhoeffer bio is one of my favorite books. I really enjoyed following his scholarly works. His social accounts were really outstanding presenting a Christian perspective on modern culture. But the last couple of years it appears his financial compensation related to his radio show seems to have taken his eye off the ball toward politics. Hopefully that changes because he is very thought-provoking when he gets off the Trump train.

So I have to ask, do the events of the past week make Pence more or less likely to be a candidate for the LU Presidency? I honestly can't make up my mind.

Correction: I misread your question. I see Pence staying in politics, but who knows. We'll see after the smoke clears.
Last edited by paradox on January 11th, 2021, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Boz did some great work in a tough area during his time with G.R.A.C.E. But now that he is back in private practice I am not sure he has Liberty in his vision for the future. His brother Tullian was quite the rising star until his very visible fall from grace.
stokesjokes liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Pence is a hard no. There was an article where he supposedly wants the job but only to stay relevant for 2024.

He only wants what's best for him and not the school. It's wishful thinking we have a nonpolitical president considering who's on the board.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:07 pm
paradox wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:29 am

To add to this:

You're trolling, right?

Metaxas wrote a book on Bonhoeffer and literally tweeted he prophesied this would happen:

Sorry Dude, no stalking on my end. When I said Wilberforce/Bonhoeffer, I was referring to whether an extreme response is justified. Wilberforce means action against slavery, and Bonhoeffer, action against Hitler. Or to clarify further, what Aquinas would call just war theory. Amazing Grace (Wilberforce), Bonhoeffer, and Squanto are three books that I encouraged my kids to read.

He's visibly active in something that I'm pretty familiar with. And it's more like Wheaton College than Liberty. From my perspective, It would appear that a few posters may be overreacting unnecessarily.
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now.

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point[…]

Longwood

Liberty heads east down 460 today for a game at Lo[…]