This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
So, big decision handed down from SCOTUS yesterday.
(https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/15/supreme ... ender.html)

I'm not starting this thread to debate the merits of the ruling or to whine about Gorsuch, so let's please not get into that here. It's done and nothing can change it apart from legislation. What I'm more interested in is...

How will LU handle and adapt to the new employment discrimination protections now written into the law?

I don't see how Liberty can be exempt as long as they take federal funding.
By Jonathan Carone
I think my answer to the question would be a question:

How many gay and transgender people are interested in working at Liberty?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:26 am LU will need to do a good background check on applications in the future.
In what way? Specifically
By Jonathan Carone
flamehunter wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:36 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 10:31 am I think my answer to the question would be a question:

It will only take one.
That's absolutely true.

I think the question is two different things: how will we handle it and how will we adapt?

My questions spoke more to the second part (how will we adapt) than the first. I don't think we'll have to do a ton of adapting because I don't see a lot of LGBTQ people applying for jobs at Liberty.

How will we handle it is an answer I don't know.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I think the outcome could surprise many. JJ is on a big Libertarian kick lately.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 12:08 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 16th, 2020, 10:31 am I think my answer to the question would be a question:

It will only take one.
That's absolutely true.

I think the question is two different things: how will we handle it and how will we adapt?

My questions spoke more to the second part (how will we adapt) than the first. I don't think we'll have to do a ton of adapting because I don't see a lot of LGBTQ people applying for jobs at Liberty.

If you don’t think there will be those applying to make a point.....
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm

It will only take one.
That's absolutely true.

Agreed - every Chick-fil-A, Hobby Lobby, church and Christian / Catholic / Mormon school positions will be over run with law suit happy activists immediately with ACLU lawyer on speed dial. Will show up in interview one way and first day on the job in drag.
Just John liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:48 am
ballcoach15 wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:26 am LU will need to do a good background check on applications in the future.
Check them out very closely. Do a background check along the lines of a Department of Defense Background Check. Go into their community, and snoop around, talk to people.
Now granted, a closet gay might slip through, but most can probably be identified. A good interviewer will be able to detect a lot during the interview.
By Jonathan Carone
tyndal23 wrote: June 16th, 2020, 2:39 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 16th, 2020, 1:32 pm

That's absolutely true.

Agreed - every Chick-fil-A, Hobby Lobby, church and Christian / Catholic / Mormon school positions will be over run with law suit happy activists immediately with ACLU lawyer on speed dial. Will show up in interview one way and first day on the job in drag.
Chick Fil A has been employing openly gay people for years.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 16th, 2020, 3:23 pm
Check them out very closely. Do a background check along the lines of a Department of Defense Background Check. Go into their community, and snoop around, talk to people.
Now granted, a closet gay might slip through, but most can probably be identified. A good interviewer will be able to detect a lot during the interview.
Do you realize the kind of money that would take? The DoD has several agencies to depend on. Liberty would have to have private investigators on retainer to look into people. That would be insane.

I haven't seen much clarity for non-profit religious organizations. Typically they are exempt for these kinds of things. But I haven't seen that spelled out with this ruling as of yet. I'm also in a conference all week so haven't got much time to read up on this but that was my instant question when I saw this.
By ElmersTwin
Are we sure this isn't a parody account?
JK37 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote: June 17th, 2020, 9:34 am

Are we sure this isn't a parody account?

No it isn't, but the thought has crossed my mind several times, about setting one up, for this board, and maybe even Twitter and Facebook.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Well, maybe things are already not what I thought around LU. From an article posted over in the Jr thread...
https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/0 ... culty.html
Starchia said he would think it over but ultimately decided he had to leave. “I suppressed so much of my humanity as a black and queer man in being here,” he wrote to me.
Thomas Starchia, who was an associate director in the Office of Spiritual Development
A man identifying as queer was, up until a couple weeks ago, an associate director in the Office of Spiritual Development. That is a huge concern for me. This school has become a walking contradiction.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
If you’re ok with Jr you should be ok with this. I mean after all Jr supports Riggleman and defended his lgbt wedding and has been supporting a lot of libertarian social stances recently.

You can be non Christian or whatever but if you are a hardcore conservative you are cool to work at Liberty. Just can’t be a liberal.
By cruzan_flame13
ALUmnus wrote: June 17th, 2020, 11:26 am Well, maybe things are already not what I thought around LU. From an article posted over in the Jr thread...
https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/0 ... culty.html
Starchia said he would think it over but ultimately decided he had to leave. “I suppressed so much of my humanity as a black and queer man in being here,” he wrote to me.
Thomas Starchia, who was an associate director in the Office of Spiritual Development
A man identifying as queer was, up until a couple weeks ago, an associate director in the Office of Spiritual Development. That is a huge concern for me. This school has become a walking contradiction.
That and almost everything in our society. Ignorance is Strength!
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
There is an irony in this... There is this small cadre of people here who decry every sideways comment about Jerry, accusing people of being haters or having axes to grind. They'll say that folks like that are closet Democrats or worse yet, liberals. Apparently, the old line Jerry fans might be seeing that their hero will be the one most likely to purge LU of it's long held values.
Not weighing in on one side or the other, but I think that changes at LU will be driven more by internal weakness rather than external threats.
Who cares anyway as long as we are FBS.
Purple Haize, Just John liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have noticed that as the "Old Timers" leave LU, the younger ones replacing them, are not as good. Same for TRBC.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts

How many are already working at Liberty? Lest we forget, I was a prayer leader, manager of the tennis teams my senior year and then a GA for the tennis teams for two years.

The other thing is, while I was at LU, the only restriction in the Liberty Way was sex outside of marriage. Has the wording on that changed? Would LU fire a celibate person who identifies as gay/lesbian?
By Jonathan Carone
ATrain wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:10 pm

How many are already working at Liberty? Lest we forget, I was a prayer leader, manager of the tennis teams my senior year and then a GA for the tennis teams for two years.

The other thing is, while I was at LU, the only restriction in the Liberty Way was sex outside of marriage. Has the wording on that changed? Would LU fire a celibate person who identifies as gay/lesbian?
Part of my response was going to include you as an example but I didn’t want to step on toes.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
During my 5+ years either as a student or an employee or both, there were a handful of people I knew who were also employees who were gay/lesbian and not that shy about it. So I mean, it's been a thing for a while now whether people want to admit it or not.
ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:27 pm
ATrain wrote: June 17th, 2020, 4:10 pm

Part of my response was going to include you as an example but I didn’t want to step on toes.
Go ahead, I don't mind
Jonathan Carone liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 17th, 2020, 3:49 pm I have noticed that as the "Old Timers" leave LU, the younger ones replacing them, are not as good. Same for TRBC.
So, at least you are in agreement that the younger Falwell, while having built more financial stability for the school than his father, is not so good. You know, he reads this stuff...or pays someone to.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 17th, 2020, 3:49 pm I have noticed that as the "Old Timers" leave LU, the younger ones replacing them, are not as good. Same for TRBC.
I dunno. I think Jonathon is a solid pastor. He’s just different than his dad.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]