This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

my extrovert teenage daughters are going nuts. zoom is a poor replacement for them. my wife is spending the day driving them around where they can sit in the driveway of their friends house while thier friends are sitting on the stoop and they are basically 20' away from each other talking. its the most ridiculous thing but its what they need to help make my life not miserable.
Purple Haize wrote: March 31st, 2020, 3:41 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 31st, 2020, 2:03 pm If you haven't before, take a look at this site to get an idea of when your area will hit peak resource usage:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

According to this data, it looks like May 1 isn't happening but if we all stay home in April, we could get back open by Memorial Day.
Remember when 3 weeks ago we were 2 weeks from being in the same situation as Italy? 20 days ago being just 10 days from having our health system collapse? Hospitals overflowing ICU’s crowded beyond capacity. Death Rates in the 100’s of thousands?
If Fauci and Birx are putting an April 30 ish date on this I’m good with it.
The data modeling is fluid depending on the behavior of the populace and the restrictions put in place by authorities.

As those things change, and additional inputs are made into the models, the results will change. That's pretty typical.

If everything is going well, you would base your decisions not just off what you know today, but on how things might change in the future.

Each time a state says, "We're closing beaches", etc, a good model should change because that changes people's behavior. In addition, as social distancing increases, the peak will be pushed out further into the future, typically.
Last edited by Yacht Rock on March 31st, 2020, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubberMallet wrote: March 31st, 2020, 3:57 pm my extrovert teenage daughters are going nuts. zoom is a poor replacement for them. my wife is spending the day driving them around where they can sit in the driveway of their friends house while thier friends are sitting on the stoop and they are basically 20' away from each other talking. its the most ridiculous thing but its what they need to help make my life not miserable.
My daughter is frustrated because some of her friends are having parties. Thankfully, she's not mad at us, but just mad at them for possibly prolonging this thing.
Yacht Rock wrote: March 31st, 2020, 3:58 pm
RubberMallet wrote: March 31st, 2020, 3:57 pm my extrovert teenage daughters are going nuts. zoom is a poor replacement for them. my wife is spending the day driving them around where they can sit in the driveway of their friends house while thier friends are sitting on the stoop and they are basically 20' away from each other talking. its the most ridiculous thing but its what they need to help make my life not miserable.
My daughter is frustrated because some of her friends are having parties. Thankfully, she's not mad at us, but just mad at them for possibly prolonging this thing.
She should be mad at their parents.
our kids are homeschooled so not being around their friends all day is normal. for them there is jsut nothing to look forward too.
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 31st, 2020, 2:03 pm If you haven't before, take a look at this site to get an idea of when your area will hit peak resource usage:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

According to this data, it looks like May 1 isn't happening but if we all stay home in April, we could get back open by Memorial Day.
Remember when 3 weeks ago we were 2 weeks from being in the same situation as Italy? 20 days ago being just 10 days from having our health system collapse? Hospitals overflowing ICU’s crowded beyond capacity. Death Rates in the 100’s of thousands?
The data modeling is fluid depending on the behavior of the populace and the restrictions put in place by authorities.

As those things change, and additional inputs are made into the models, the results will change. That's pretty typical.

If everything is going well, you would base your decisions not just off what you know today, but on how things might change in the future.

Each time a state says, "We're closing beaches", etc, a good model should change because that changes people's behavior. In addition, as social distancing increases, the peak will be pushed out further into the future, typically.
But there is no currency in saying this will be over anytime soon. Look at the grilling on Social Media etc Dr Birx got when she said the claims of devastating results in nyc were not consistent with the data. That’s why I have never taken the doomsday scenarios to heart. There is more to be gained by stating the worst possible than by showing the progress
oldflame wrote: March 31st, 2020, 4:04 pm
She should be mad at their parents.
LOL, I don't disagree. But she doesn't get to talk to them. I think the first day we explained to her what this looks like for our family and she's been cool with it. Getting better at her guitar and ukulele. Cutting her own hair. Meanwhile my 9 year is learning programming and making games. "Coronaissance" is what I call it.
Purple Haize wrote: March 31st, 2020, 4:33 pm

But there is no currency in saying this will be over anytime soon. Look at the grilling on Social Media etc Dr Birx got when she said the claims of devastating results in nyc were not consistent with the data. That’s why I have never taken the doomsday scenarios to heart. There is more to be gained by stating the worst possible than by showing the progress
Oh, data bias is real and there are people who are leaving in or leaving out key data points to tell a story they'd love to be true or at least one they'd love to use to sell papers, metaphorically speaking.

Sadly, this happens on both sides of the spectrum.

I'm just saying that it's normal to expect the models to change overtime, not just due to hyperbole. Typically there would be several different models that predict the outcome based on anticipated behavior. There's a model for "No one listens and people still party at the beach" and a model for "everyone stays home for a few weeks/months".

Some people will peddle the "worst case" model and some people will peddle the "best case" model.

As always, we're somewhere in the middle.
Ball coach know not read on current events.
ATrain, Purple Haize, adam42381 and 1 others liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: March 30th, 2020, 8:23 pm
ATrain wrote:
Yet they paid for this semester, and aren't getting what they paid for. The upkeep and fixed costs should be factored into future students/semesters, not those who paid for the product but aren't getting it any longer.
You're talking good customer service. LOL, you're looking in the wrong direction for that.
Unfortunately you are correct. Junior is failing to live up to his father's saying of "Its Christian it ought to be better."
ATrain wrote: March 31st, 2020, 7:11 pm
ATrain wrote:
Yet they paid for this semester, and aren't getting what they paid for. The upkeep and fixed costs should be factored into future students/semesters, not those who paid for the product but aren't getting it any longer.
You're talking good customer service. LOL, you're looking in the wrong direction for that.
Unfortunately you are correct. Junior is failing to live up to his father's saying of "Its Christian it ought to be better."
LU has rarely if ever lived up to that
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 31st, 2020, 7:38 pm
ATrain wrote: March 31st, 2020, 7:11 pm

LU has rarely if ever lived up to that
While true, Senior didn't always have the resources. Junior doesn't have that excuse/explanation
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Doomsdayers always win. If they’re right, they win for being right. If they’re wrong, they win because it took facing the doomsday scenario to get everyone to comply and avoid that scenario. It’s the lazy play, and the media makes it every day.
Purple Haize liked this
JK37 wrote: April 1st, 2020, 7:27 am Doomsdayers always win. If they’re right, they win for being right. If they’re wrong, they win because it took facing the doomsday scenario to get everyone to comply and avoid that scenario. It’s the lazy play, and the media makes it every day.
You are correct. After yesterday’s WH briefing the news headlines were all a flutter with “Dr Fauci says we should be prepared for up to 200,000 dead because of the virus”. Sounds scary and super sensational. But they or he never give a timetable for that. Is that by the end of April when the y said the worst will be over? Or by June 1 when other conservative estimates have the virus waning? Let us take the June number. That means we would have to see ~3300 deaths a day to reach that 200k number. But wait since pandemics like this are exponential there are days we won’t see 3k. But will see 10k. According to the doomsayers.

But let’s look at what Drs Birx (who the media vilifies) and Fauci said. “Up To” 200k. Which means there could be less. But when that point was brought up yesterday at the WH press briefing the reporters started bickering with the experts.
Yesterday 800 people died from the virus. NYC and a few other metro area are going to be hardest hit. But keep in mind that it’s obvious the News Media is not in the business of reassuring America. What YR said yesterday is true. These projections change. Drs Fauci and Birx both said these numbers are updated daily and also rely heavily on NY NJ etc so look for them to continue to trend downward.
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:00 pm This is an interesting tool to see how different places are doing with social distancing:

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social- ... scoreboard

Lynchburg City is scoring a B-.
Awesome! So we are still Academically Eligible!
Purple Haize wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:11 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:00 pm This is an interesting tool to see how different places are doing with social distancing:

As of 4:40 pm we have dropped to a solid C.
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote: April 1st, 2020, 2:11 pm

As of 4:40 pm we have dropped to a solid C.
Ballcoach probably showed up on campus to look at the softball field again or something. Killed our grade. I hate group projects.
thepostman, Purple Haize, flamehunter and 2 others liked this

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]