This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Jonathan Carone wrote:This post is not a knock at Liberty, just an observation I found disheartening. I know it's going on at other schools, but I don't care enough about those schools to look up the details.

On campus residential students at Liberty will pay roughly $15 million for services they won’t receive this semester. Most of them are ineligible for coronavirus relief from the government.

Even if every student took advantage of the $1000 credit (which is really only a $630 credit with price increases for next year), that's still around $13 million in money they will spend and not get services for.
Meanwhile...

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/03/ ... -response/

https://wdwnt.com/2020/03/breaking-walt ... -closures/

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... 0-bonus-to

https://www.wrbl.com/news/local-news/gl ... d-bonuses/

https://www.fastcompany.com/90481373/so ... us-layoffs

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/texas ... 2020-03-25

I share these links because Jerry thinks of Liberty as a business. Perhaps he should look at what some other business leaders are doing.
Jr. took an unreasonable hard line position at that begining of this and backed himself into a corner. All of LU is having to live with the consequences of that now, as the media is unforgiving, is piling on, and has no problem exaggerating/misrepresenting LU's position/status. Despite all LU classes moving to online (with a couple exceptions), the media makes it sound like the academic building are open and classes are still meeting in person. I have friends calling me to ask if my daughter is alright and what we are going to do. By reading the recent stories, they had no idea that the kids are doing online just like every other major college. I blame the media for the gross misrepresentations, but I also blame Jerry for created a situation/story that didn't need to be created in the first place and goading the media.
Purple Haize wrote: March 30th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:30 am This post is not a knock at Liberty, just an observation I found disheartening. I know it's going on at other schools, but I don't care enough about those schools to look up the details.

On campus residential students at Liberty will pay roughly $15 million for services they won’t receive this semester. Most of them are ineligible for coronavirus relief from the government.

Even if every student took advantage of the $1000 credit (which is really only a $630 credit with price increases for next year), that's still around $13 million in money they will spend and not get services for.
Yeah. That’s going on at every school. I have a friend who’s a Provost at another university and he said there’s not much they can do. There’s really no way to judge the cost of what the students are not getting in relation to the additional expense of rerouting instruction online. The physical plant still must be maintained etc. It’s just an odd situation but not a lot they can do. I know they have thought about a tuition break next year but that’s going to be tough and it doesn’t help graduating students or students not returning
Like I said, I wasn't taking a shot at Liberty. The numbers I used were room and board, meal plans, activities fees, health fees, and parking. They're still getting their coursework from tuition so I didn't touch that or technology fees. My overall point was that college kids are getting hit really hard by this economically.
Sly Fox wrote: March 30th, 2020, 12:51 pmWho isn't?
I'm not saying everyone else isn't. The government is trying to help a lot of the people out who got hit though. Because of the unique situation a lot of college students are in (not kids, not yet adults), they're in the blind spot of the governmental relief. Some will have up to $5000 in student loans for things they're not going to get to actually use. They can't get a stimulus check because they're still dependents. Their jobs - predominately service industry and retail - were some of the hardest hit.

By acknowledging one group's struggles, I'm not negating other groups.
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 30th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 30th, 2020, 12:06 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:30 am This post is not a knock at Liberty, just an observation I found disheartening. I know it's going on at other schools, but I don't care enough about those schools to look up the details.

Yeah. That’s going on at every school. I have a friend who’s a Provost at another university and he said there’s not much they can do. There’s really no way to judge the cost of what the students are not getting in relation to the additional expense of rerouting instruction online. The physical plant still must be maintained etc. It’s just an odd situation but not a lot they can do. I know they have thought about a tuition break next year but that’s going to be tough and it doesn’t help graduating students or students not returning
Like I said, I wasn't taking a shot at Liberty. The numbers I used were room and board, meal plans, activities fees, health fees, and parking. They're still getting their coursework from tuition so I didn't touch that or technology fees. My overall point was that college kids are getting hit really hard by this economically.
And I did not take it as a shot at Liberty. But college kids are still getting an education. Not all colleges are equipped to deliver online content so have had to upgrade which is an expense. My point being that the money they paid for education is actually still being used for education if just via a different method.
Are students who elected to not go back to campus still being charged the full room and board rate? Tuition is still valid as they are still taking classes but I would think room and board would be adjusted somehow or is that where the 1000 credit comes in? Half the semester was over which means anywhere from 1187 to 2000 could potentially be refunded based on room and board costs. That doesn't include dining plans either.

I don't know what the solution is here but it certinaly sucks for those college students.
thepostman wrote: March 30th, 2020, 1:23 pm Are students who elected to not go back to campus still being charged the full room and board rate? Tuition is still valid as they are still taking classes but I would think room and board would be adjusted somehow or is that where the 1000 credit comes in? Half the semester was over which means anywhere from 1187 to 2000 could potentially be refunded based on room and board costs. That doesn't include dining plans either.

I don't know what the solution is here but it certinaly sucks for those college students.
They’re offered $1000 credit for next year. Which after increases in room and board and meal plans, comes out to about $630 off on average.

It costs the average on campus residential student $5780 per semester between room and board, meal plan, activity fee, health fee, and auto registration.

The semester is 16.5 weeks long if you take out spring break (which the dining hall is closed during that time). That comes out to being approximately $350.30 per week.

With 6.5 weeks left in the semester, the remaining amount students will have paid for in those fees is $2276.95. As of now, that’s not being refunded.
thepostman wrote: March 30th, 2020, 1:23 pm Are students who elected to not go back to campus still being charged the full room and board rate? Tuition is still valid as they are still taking classes but I would think room and board would be adjusted somehow or is that where the 1000 credit comes in? Half the semester was over which means anywhere from 1187 to 2000 could potentially be refunded based on room and board costs. That doesn't include dining plans either.

But you have to factor into that the fixed costs of the structures and upkeep. Even though they are not currently using them theoretically they will be next year. So the going concern comes into play. These aren’t single use items. If they are being offered a 1k credit for next year that seems fair enough
Further evidence (as if we needed it) that we can't believe anything we hear coming out of China regarding the virus there. Ben Shapiro saying today that reports out of Wuhan are that smokestacks in the 8 crematoriums in the province are going 24/7 and based on that and the number of urns being delivered to them, there are likely as many as 40,000 dead there. They have reported a total of 3300, with only 4 today. Further evidence that everything is not rosy is that the movie theaters, which were reopened when they announced their "victory" over the virus, were quickly closed again.
Here is a Vice article:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8843 ... s-each-day

Newsweek:

https://www.newsweek.com/wuhan-covid-19 ... st-1494914

I am obviously concerned with what is going on here right now but this inaction and continued coverup by the Chinese government will no doubt have a last impact on that country and potentially the rest of the world. The people of China don't deserve that.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: March 30th, 2020, 1:31 pm

But you have to factor into that the fixed costs of the structures and upkeep. Even though they are not currently using them theoretically they will be next year. So the going concern comes into play. These aren’t single use items. If they are being offered a 1k credit for next year that seems fair enough
Yet they paid for this semester, and aren't getting what they paid for. The upkeep and fixed costs should be factored into future students/semesters, not those who paid for the product but aren't getting it any longer.
ATrain wrote:
Yet they paid for this semester, and aren't getting what they paid for. The upkeep and fixed costs should be factored into future students/semesters, not those who paid for the product but aren't getting it any longer.
You're talking good customer service. LOL, you're looking in the wrong direction for that.
ATrain liked this
People are the worst. This is why we must be concise in our wording. Condemning the Chinese government is one thing but blaming the people of china and taking our your frustration out on them is a whole other ball game.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/fbi-warns ... ssion=true

ABC News wrote:The analysis noted there has already been a surge in reports of hate crimes and lists a series of incidents from Los Angeles to New York to Texas.

The document detailed a March 14 incident in Midland, Texas, in which "three Asian American family members, including a 2-year-old and 6-year-old, were stabbed … The suspect indicated that he stabbed the family because he thought the family was Chinese, and infecting people with the coronavirus."
Just John liked this
ATrain wrote: March 30th, 2020, 8:14 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 30th, 2020, 1:31 pm

If you take the 1k they are being offered as a credit for next year you can say they fidget what they paid for. You could also say the fixed cost were what students paid for first and the later half of the payments were towards what they were actually consuming. Sort of an amortization schedule. Again, this is a situation going on all over the Country. I did notice Gov Northam wouldn’t answer the question when it came up in today’s press conference. He said it was going to be up to each individual University. So you could have a situation where VT is giving a full refund but UVA is not and JMU is giving a prorated one. Let’s hold judgement to see what other Universities do first.
thepostman wrote: March 30th, 2020, 8:29 pm People are the worst. This is why we must be concise in our wording. Condemning the Chinese government is one thing but blaming the people of china and taking our your frustration out on them is a whole other ball game.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/fbi-warns ... ssion=true

ABC News wrote:The analysis noted there has already been a surge in reports of hate crimes and lists a series of incidents from Los Angeles to New York to Texas.

The document detailed a March 14 incident in Midland, Texas, in which "three Asian American family members, including a 2-year-old and 6-year-old, were stabbed … The suspect indicated that he stabbed the family because he thought the family was Chinese, and infecting people with the coronavirus."
Agreed. I’m glad Trump went on air to make that clarification. Stupid people will do stupid things.
Just John, thepostman liked this
The WHO is an essentially asset of the Chinese government, despite the fact that the US has been by far their single largest source of revenue. We need to demand there be a total change of leadership and direction there or we will cut off our funding completely.

thepostman wrote:Are students who elected to not go back to campus still being charged the full room and board rate? Tuition is still valid as they are still taking classes but I would think room and board would be adjusted somehow or is that where the 1000 credit comes in? Half the semester was over which means anywhere from 1187 to 2000 could potentially be refunded based on room and board costs. That doesn't include dining plans either.

the problem is that almost all costs are predetermined based on negotiated rates. even power consumption in some instances. so food, power, internet, etc etc etc, are already essentially bought and paid for.

that said, could the school stomach such a cost, likely. many probably could.
Purple Haize liked this
In other news:

I am thankful that in Montana and in the county where I pastor they are telling us that we will have a decent shot at having a normal church service on Easter Sunday.

We have not had a new case in 5 days and the population is 36,000(4th largest city in Montana :shock: ).

Fellas, praying for you all and your families as we persevere on during this pandemic.

Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God."
A couple regional pieces of data:

Virginia
Peak resource usage is May 28
Never comes close to needing more beds than available
More ICU beds needed than available May 2 through June 16

Washington DC
Peak resource usage is April 17
More beds needed than available from April 8 - April 26
More ICU beds needed than available March 30 - April 30

Maryland
Peak resource usage is May 1
More beds needed than available from April 21 - May 10
More ICU beds needed than available April 6 - May 18

North Carolina
Peak resource usage is April 22-23
More beds needed than available from April 17 - April 28
More ICU beds needed than available April 7 - May 8
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 31st, 2020, 2:03 pm If you haven't before, take a look at this site to get an idea of when your area will hit peak resource usage:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

According to this data, it looks like May 1 isn't happening but if we all stay home in April, we could get back open by Memorial Day.
Remember when 3 weeks ago we were 2 weeks from being in the same situation as Italy? 20 days ago being just 10 days from having our health system collapse? Hospitals overflowing ICU’s crowded beyond capacity. Death Rates in the 100’s of thousands?
If Fauci and Birx are putting an April 30 ish date on this I’m good with it.
LUOrange liked this

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]