This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

MSM continuously nagging Trump about why he isn't using the DPA. Response "I haven't needed to, they're doing it voluntarily" Then GM renegs on a promise to make 40,000 ventilators. Trump pulls out the DPA card. MSM: "but you said we didn't need so many" Trump: "We are making more than we think we will need so once the need here is met we can share them with countries like Italy and Spain where people are dying because they don't have enough. We're the only only ones who can do it. They can't do it." MSM: crickets (so far. They'll think of something.)
oldflame wrote: March 28th, 2020, 8:46 am MSM continuously nagging Trump about why he isn't using the DPA. Response "I haven't needed to, they're doing it voluntarily" Then GM renegs on a promise to make 40,000 ventilators. Trump pulls out the DPA card. MSM: "but you said we didn't need so many" Trump: "We are making more than we think we will need so once the need here is met we can share them with countries like Italy and Spain where people are dying because they don't have enough. We're the only only ones who can do it. They can't do it." MSM: crickets (so far. They'll think of something.)
Again the moving goalposts are so obvious. Basically they feel their job is to point out they opposite of what Trump does. This DPA is a perfect example. When the economy starts to recover they will then jump on the bail out package and say it was too big and point out all the pork. Or heaven forbid the economy tanks they will point out it wasn’t enough just like AOC said.
Now more than ever Teddy Roosevelt’s Man in the Arena speech is relevant. Google it.
rtb72 liked this
oldflame wrote: March 27th, 2020, 1:00 pm So, shockingly, the person who forced the entire House to come to Washington and vote in person by refusing to agree to unanimous consent was not AOC, but Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky. Haven't checked yet to see why, but maybe for the first time ever, I agree with John Kerry
Should we feel bad for asking our legislative body to do their job before breaking for recess, considering many other essential personnel are still working as well? Had there been actual bipartisanship and no back-room deals then maybe everything would've passed sooner and no quorum would've been called.
Purple Haize liked this
The main stream media continues to do all they can to win the election for Trump. It's ok to think the team Trump put together has done a good job once they got a handle on things. It doesn't make you a Trumpster. The left of the democratic party has made it nearly impossible for anybody to give the administration any kind of credit out of fear they'll be labeled a Trumpster. Its ridiculous.

I didn't vote for Trump and probably won't this time around either but holy crap the media coverage on anything he does is just as tiring as Trump's twitter feed.

What a world we live in.

It does appear, according to the link @Class of 20Something provided, that the curve is beginning to flatten a bit. Most of the country should be back to normal in a month or so but it'll be a longer road for places like New York. Of course that could change if people stop being cautious.

This hasn't been easy to predict, so all things considered we are doing a good job. We also are providing accurate data. Unlike some countries. Hopefully the data we collect will help in the future.
A little harsh reality about respirators. In and of themselves, they don't save lives, they only prolong them. They do absolutely nothing to solve the underlying problem. If other treatments or the body's own immune system do not deal with that, a ventilator can actually make the overall situation more complicated. While the machine is breathing for you, you are not using the muscles that allow you to breath normally, and they can deteriorate. I am not aware of a single case so far in the US where a patient died because a ventilator was not available. Virtually all of those who have died were on one when they ultimately succumbed, because that is the intervention of last resort.
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 19th, 2020, 2:29 pm The information coming out about chloroquine is really interesting and makes me optimistic we might be out of this sooner rather than later.
If you look at the insider's investment activity (the executives at large corporations) many are engaging in rapid buying of their stock at the moment, indicating that they see it is undervalued and an economic recovery is coming.
oldflame wrote: March 28th, 2020, 12:12 pm A little harsh reality about respirators. In and of themselves, they don't save lives, they only prolong them. They do absolutely nothing to solve the underlying problem. If other treatments or the body's own immune system do not deal with that, a ventilator can actually make the overall situation more complicated. While the machine is breathing for you, you are not using the muscles that allow you to breath normally, and they can deteriorate. I am not aware of a single case so far in the US where a patient died because a ventilator was not available. Virtually all of those who have died were on one when they ultimately succumbed, because that is the intervention of last resort.
Are you saying the ventilator shortage isn’t a big deal because they actually kill people instead of helping them? That’s the way it reads.
JK37 wrote: March 28th, 2020, 4:00 pm He’s saying ventilators alone are not the cure-all, nor are they all we need.
That is correct. I think it's a mischaracterization to say there was a shortage, especially in the US. First of all, there is a reason there were not more around. Doctors do not like using them, and they normally don't need to that often . They are the last resort after a series of other interventions that are used to get sufficient oxygen into the bloodstream of patients with breathing problems fail (mostly giving them increasingly pure oxygen to breath.) We have never needed the numbers of respirators we are talking about before, and yet, to the best of my knowledge, so far every time a doctor has needed one during this outbreak in the US there has been one available. I hope and pray that continues to be the case, and would love it if down the road we can send some to other places in the world who don't have the capability we do to ramp up manufacturing in the middle of something like this.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: March 28th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 19th, 2020, 2:29 pm The information coming out about chloroquine is really interesting and makes me optimistic we might be out of this sooner rather than later.
If you look at the insider's investment activity (the executives at large corporations) many are engaging in rapid buying of their stock at the moment, indicating that they see it is undervalued and an economic recovery is coming.
Which companies?
ATrain wrote: March 29th, 2020, 9:30 am
chris leedlelee wrote: March 28th, 2020, 1:08 pm
Which companies?
I know of one. Ha
He’s already responded and called for a correction. It seems there may now have to be a 72 hour rule with Junior like there is with Trump
Ok. April 30 is now apparently a pretty firm date to when we will start getting things back to normal. That’s a good thing. A firmer date can only help people plan.
Purple Haize wrote: March 29th, 2020, 6:08 pm He’s already responded and called for a correction. It seems there may now have to be a 72 hour rule with Junior like there is with Trump
Oh for sure which is why I said I was playing a wait and see approach.

@Purple Haize where did you see his response to it? I figured it would be on his Twitter but it wasn't. I would like to post that here too.

As for any firm dates, I've gotta take a wait and see approach on that too. This situation is far too fluid to be too firm about anything. It does seem pretty reasonable though. We shall see
thepostman wrote: March 29th, 2020, 6:32 pm Found it

Don’t question my Authoritie! On either of these counts

Drs Birx and Fauci were both the ones behind this and convinced Trump. He seems to feel it’s a little over cautious but but better to be over cautious then under and have a reflare
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 29th, 2020, 6:52 pm Trump extended social distancing to April 30 and thinks “we can expect by June 1, we will be way on our way to recovery.”
Yep. Firm dates to shoot for are good things all the way around. It’s gonna be a bummer early to start because April 30 seems a long ways off. But as it sinks in over a day or two people can start making plans for the future. May will be a scramble to get things back up and running and by June we should be running
This post is not a knock at Liberty, just an observation I found disheartening. I know it's going on at other schools, but I don't care enough about those schools to look up the details.

On campus residential students at Liberty will pay roughly $15 million for services they won’t receive this semester. Most of them are ineligible for coronavirus relief from the government.

Even if every student took advantage of the $1000 credit (which is really only a $630 credit with price increases for next year), that's still around $13 million in money they will spend and not get services for.
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:30 am This post is not a knock at Liberty, just an observation I found disheartening. I know it's going on at other schools, but I don't care enough about those schools to look up the details.

On campus residential students at Liberty will pay roughly $15 million for services they won’t receive this semester. Most of them are ineligible for coronavirus relief from the government.

Even if every student took advantage of the $1000 credit (which is really only a $630 credit with price increases for next year), that's still around $13 million in money they will spend and not get services for.
Yeah. That’s going on at every school. I have a friend who’s a Provost at another university and he said there’s not much they can do. There’s really no way to judge the cost of what the students are not getting in relation to the additional expense of rerouting instruction online. The physical plant still must be maintained etc. It’s just an odd situation but not a lot they can do. I know they have thought about a tuition break next year but that’s going to be tough and it doesn’t help graduating students or students not returning
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]