This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Shut down travel from China before anyone. Got called "xenophobic" Shut down travel from Europe. "Premature". Italy, Spain and France alone now account for over 60% of the deaths worldwide, and here in the DR, EVERY ONE of the almost 400 diagnosed cases and 10 deaths can be traced to Italian or Spanish tourists and Dominicans returning from those countries. Testing? Yeah, it got off to a slow start. A few weeks later we are now ahead of everyone on that front, which is why we now have the highest number of diagnosed cases. If anyone thinks there are only 81,000 cases of this virus in China, I've got a booth in the Wuhan Wet Market I'll rent you, right next to the guy selling the bat and civet meat.
Purple Haize, rtb72, flamehunter and 1 others liked this
jinxy wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:06 pm Almost every local bank i know immediately offered up to 4 months skip payments that still
Accrue interest but basically means you wont be paying much of any principal this year but thats better than not surviving.
One bank I work with offered a 3 month deferment (Am. Natl.)... My tenants will not be paying rent those 3 months. B of the James extended 4 months and additional LOC. Select Bank only gave 2 month deferment with the option to review after that term. I hope my tenants can rebound given a chance not to eat up their cash. Now if I could have just qualified for the big cash bonus...
Purple Haize liked this
Purple Haize wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
thepostman wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:15 pm We officially have the most documented cases in the world. Which is kind of crazy and could've been prevented if taken more seriously by a lot of people.

With that said, nobody is buying that number from China, right? I mean I know we have more cases than have been confirmed but nothing from the Chinese government can be trusted. I really feel for the people of China.
Everyone is saying we could have had fewer cases if we’d taken this more seriously. Really? Go back in time. No one was really advocating anything that we didn’t do. It’s why I’m posting these dire predictions from the past. No one was really calling for any actions that we didn’t take. No one was screaming that we do anything we weren’t doing. In fact it was the opposite. I mean it’s a great talking point but not grounded in contemporary reality
Maybe my wording wasn't articulate enough. Obviously it was being taken seriously by many within the administration but the red tape dating back to Jan/Feb in regards to creating enough tests delayed that process. Eventually the administration stepped in but it ended up being too late. Americans are stubborn and aren't going to stay home unless they see tangible proof that this thing exists. That can be seen in the early stages of this thread.

I believe if testing had been more readily available sooner that it would have been much easier to get ahead of this. Here is an interesting read that just highlights typical government bureaucracy getting in the way of making the test more readily available.

https://www.propublica.org/article/cdc- ... id-19-test

https://www.propublica.org/article/inte ... oronavirus

It appears anytime criticism on response to the initial outbreak in this country is voiced many Trump supporters are quick to defend it as it it is some kind of personal indictment on their guy. This goes much deeper than Trump and he even has alluded to it in his press conferences.

Hopefully that cleared things up.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Rogers. Good to hear im in rke market and am familiar with all those guys.

This is going to have a big impact to our bottom line. There are a lot of folks that are modifying or refying down as well. Rates went went below 4 which on commercial is nuts.
thepostman wrote: March 27th, 2020, 6:23 am
Purple Haize wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:45 pm
thepostman wrote: March 26th, 2020, 8:15 pm We officially have the most documented cases in the world. Which is kind of crazy and could've been prevented if taken more seriously by a lot of people.

With that said, nobody is buying that number from China, right? I mean I know we have more cases than have been confirmed but nothing from the Chinese government can be trusted. I really feel for the people of China.
Everyone is saying we could have had fewer cases if we’d taken this more seriously. Really? Go back in time. No one was really advocating anything that we didn’t do. It’s why I’m posting these dire predictions from the past. No one was really calling for any actions that we didn’t take. No one was screaming that we do anything we weren’t doing. In fact it was the opposite. I mean it’s a great talking point but not grounded in contemporary reality
Maybe my wording wasn't articulate enough. Obviously it was being taken seriously by many within the administration but the red tape dating back to Jan/Feb in regards to creating enough tests delayed that process. Eventually the administration stepped in but it ended up being too late. Americans are stubborn and aren't going to stay home unless they see tangible proof that this thing exists. That can be seen in the early stages of this thread.

I believe if testing had been more readily available sooner that it would have been much easier to get ahead of this. Here is an interesting read that just highlights typical government bureaucracy getting in the way of making the test more readily available.

https://www.propublica.org/article/cdc- ... id-19-test

https://www.propublica.org/article/inte ... oronavirus

It appears anytime criticism on response to the initial outbreak in this country is voiced many Trump supporters are quick to defend it as it it is some kind of personal indictment on their guy. This goes much deeper than Trump and he even has alluded to it in his press conferences.

Hopefully that cleared things up.
You will get Zero argument from me on Government bureaucracy
I really love your last statement but do want to round it out. The criticism doesn’t go deeper than Trump either. It’s the Government. Hoping it works efficiently or thinks ahead in situations like this is laughable. Let’s look no further that NOLA who for years had time resources and opportunity to prevent a pending disaster. IMO, this is a great example of the differences between how Trump works and how Government As Usual Works. Congress STILL hasn’t passed what should have been a very simple relief bill. I have stated the reasons why. Trumps team wanted something leaner and more economically friendly. Instead, we got this. Trump is getting grilled in some quarters because he has not utilized his powers up under the Defense act to compel companies to retool to address this crisis. His response is simple ‘why should I? They are already doing it”
It’s why I love your last statement. If you want to understand why things aren’t getting done in DC. If you want to understand why Trumps victory was such a shock and game changer all you have to do is watch how both sides are approaching this. Meaning The Government v Team Trump
Here is what Trump, and all of us who value our freedom, are faced with. Joe Biden's good buddy and political savior Jim Clyburn and his ilk shamelessly wanting to leverage a crisis into changes that fit their agenda.
https://news.yahoo.com/dem-rep-told-col ... 45071.html
Last edited by olldflame on March 27th, 2020, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haize, makarov97 liked this
The large population centers (NYC, LA, Houston, etc) are where the real threat of overcrowding is. I don’t deny that at all. Those hospitals are often crowded to begin with because of the sheer population density.

But the entire country isn’t that dense. Those problems are not going to happen in the majority of the country.

Governor Cuomo said about 15% of the people who test positive need to be hospitalized. In the six counties around me that would most likely send people to Wake Forest or Novant, there are a total of 18 confirmed cases. In the Greensboro area, there are 31. In those 10-11 counties, at current rates, that would be about eight people hospitalized spread over 4-6 hospitals, depending on severity. We simply don’t have as many people crammed into such a tight space as the large cities.

I know we aren’t out of the woods yet, especially with people not taking the shut downs seriously. But if more places enacted shelter in place/safer at home policies for the next 3-4 weeks, it’s not unreasonable to think schools and restaurants could open back up in early May. We wouldn’t have sporting events or church services or any of the large gatherings, but your basic day-to-day life could get back to a semblance of normalcy.
Purple Haize liked this
Here is something that has not been talked about enough, and IMHO will be a huge component in our ability to get back to business. Face masks. I'm not talking about the N95 masks that provide protection from incoming airborne particles containing the virus. Those are relatively hard to manufacture and expensive, and are needed for health care providers and first responders. What I'm talking about is a simple cloth face mask that covers the mouth and nose. These provide significant but limited protection in those cases, but are actually very effective in preventing these same particles from getting into the air if an infected person wearing one coughs or sneezes. They are super cheap and easy to make. Supply is still limited, but production could be ramped up to provide enough for nearly universal use in a pretty short period of time. They can be laundered and reused, but don't need to actually be sanitized as long as they are only used by one person, since any virus that might have been on the mask and somehow made it through the laundering process would have originated with the user anyway. Near universal use of these masks played a huge role in South Korea not needing to shut down their economy. They had a lot of them, because mask wearing has been pretty much commonplace there since the SARS scare. Combined with hand washing and social distancing, extensive use of these masks could reduce risk of transmission to acceptable levels in all but the worst of hot spots.
makarov97 liked this
good gravy i haven't checked this forum in ages.

anyone else having a hard time keeping their parents at home. my mom is going to the grocery store almost every day.
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 27th, 2020, 8:41 am The large population centers (NYC, LA, Houston, etc) are where the real threat of overcrowding is. I don’t deny that at all. Those hospitals are often crowded to begin with because of the sheer population density.

But the entire country isn’t that dense. Those problems are not going to happen in the majority of the country.

Governor Cuomo said about 15% of the people who test positive need to be hospitalized. In the six counties around me that would most likely send people to Wake Forest or Novant, there are a total of 18 confirmed cases. In the Greensboro area, there are 31. In those 10-11 counties, at current rates, that would be about eight people hospitalized spread over 4-6 hospitals, depending on severity. We simply don’t have as many people crammed into such a tight space as the large cities.

I know we aren’t out of the woods yet, especially with people not taking the shut downs seriously. But if more places enacted shelter in place/safer at home policies for the next 3-4 weeks, it’s not unreasonable to think schools and restaurants could open back up in early May. We wouldn’t have sporting events or church services or any of the large gatherings, but your basic day-to-day life could get back to a semblance of normalcy.
Well that sounds very reasonable
the 15% is only in NYC. in most other places around the US the rate is more like 5%.

I think they should county by county Green/Orange/Red light them.

that won't help economically from a national standpoint (GDP) but getting local economies back up and running will help those areas tremendously. that is why the "all you care about is your portfolio" nonsense doesn't make a lick of sense. it truly is about getting local economies (small businesses) up and running. ramp up cleanliness pushes get masks on everyones faces for a time.
flamehunter liked this
RubberMallet wrote: March 27th, 2020, 10:41 am the 15% is only in NYC. in most other places around the US the rate is more like 5%.

I think they should county by county Green/Orange/Red light them.

that won't help economically from a national standpoint (GDP) but getting local economies back up and running will help those areas tremendously.
I actually really like that idea. We still don't have a confirmed case in my county. Our restaurants, barbershops, gyms, etc could open back up May 1 and not be totally screwed.
I post this with no agenda, just found the data interesting from yesterday's CDC report. Data is as of March 16:
Overall, 31% of cases, 45% of hospitalizations, 53% of ICU admissions, and 80% of deaths associated with COVID-19 were among adults aged ≥65 years with the highest percentage of severe outcomes among persons aged ≥85 years. In contrast, no ICU admissions or deaths were reported among persons aged ≤19 years.
In complete transparency, they also added this:
Data on age and outcomes, including hospitalization, ICU admission, and death, were missing for 9%–53% of cases, which likely resulted in an underestimation of these outcomes. Second, further time for follow-up is needed to ascertain outcomes among active cases.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm
So, shockingly, the person who forced the entire House to come to Washington and vote in person by refusing to agree to unanimous consent was not AOC, but Thomas Massie, a Republican from Kentucky. Haven't checked yet to see why, but maybe for the first time ever, I agree with John Kerry
Jonathan Carone wrote:his with no agenda, just found the data interesting from yesterday's CDC report. Data is as of March 16:

O
i also think regardless of the green/orange/red you have to keep the over 65 population in quarantine state. they represent very little of the workforce and they are the most succeptible. i would argue that closing schools was the worst thing you could do considering that many peopel still working sent their kids to spend the day with their grandparents.

the death rate of the less than 65 is so miniscule it makes sense to allow them back to some sort of normality. is it still very contagious? yes, do some young people with athsma and other ailments get real sick and risk dying? yes. its still important to treat int as a serious issue but that can be done with handwashing and masks.
jinxy wrote: March 27th, 2020, 7:38 am Rogers. Good to hear im in rke market and am familiar with all those guys.

This is going to have a big impact to our bottom line. There are a lot of folks that are modifying or refying down as well. Rates went went below 4 which on commercial is nuts.
Hmmmm...4 is good. Can you pm me with details. Might be a good time to change!
Class of 20Something wrote: March 27th, 2020, 4:45 pm I'm at 3.25. It's never gonna be enough for me to refi.
That’s what I’m at. A lot of my friends are refinancing telling me how much they are saving. They may not be my friends much longer :D. It’s like a vegan and a cross fitter had a baby and moved in with their KJV only mom and ballcoach.
flamehunter liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point[…]

Longwood

Liberty heads east down 460 today for a game at Lo[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Week #4 Top Performers - Runs - Gatorbait 49 HR[…]