This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By cruzan_flame13
Quick information that I have collected from the city development forum:

"Champion Brewing out of Charlottesville announced last Friday that they will be opening up a new brewery in downtown Lynchburg (1021 Main Street) by late Summer 2020. This is the third brewery to announce that it will be opening in downtown this year:
https://wset.com/news/local/champion...burg-this-year
Additionally, a self-serve taproom with 20 beers to choose from and wine on tap was announced for downtown last week:https://wset.com/news/local/self-ser...town-lynchburg
At this point we have three breweries, a self-serve taproom, two wine bars, a German beer hall, and a second rooftop bar underway downtown. 2020 is going to be a GREAT year for beer lovers and new nightlife in the Hill City!"

ALSO this would boost the city for sure!

"NASA chief considering BWXT in Lynchburg to develop a nuclear thermal propulsion rocket on the first manned mission to Mars. The rocket technology could cut the time it takes to get to Mars by half. NASA has awarded $20 million to BWXT to begin initial stages of designing the rockets and is weighing a much larger contract to actually build them for future manned missions to Mars. If the contract is awarded, this would be huge for the city:
https://www.roanoke.com/news/virgini...ac61c914c.html"

Let the discussions begin!
chris leedlelee liked this
By chris leedlelee
cruzan_flame13 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 1:20 am "Champion Brewing out of Charlottesville announced last Friday that they will be opening up a new brewery in downtown Lynchburg (1021 Main Street) by late Summer 2020. This is the third brewery to announce that it will be opening in downtown this year:
That is awesome. When I was at LU, the closest brewery was Beale's in Bedford. Having a local brewery in LYH would be an awesome hangout for many of the locals here.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Until they figure out how to keep astronauts supplied with water a trip to Mars is impossible
By ElmersTwin
chris leedlelee wrote: February 14th, 2020, 9:39 am
cruzan_flame13 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 1:20 am "Champion Brewing out of Charlottesville announced last Friday that they will be opening up a new brewery in downtown Lynchburg (1021 Main Street) by late Summer 2020. This is the third brewery to announce that it will be opening in downtown this year:
That is awesome. When I was at LU, the closest brewery was Beale's in Bedford. Having a local brewery in LYH would be an awesome hangout for many of the locals here.
I'm pumped for Starr Hill to be here, too. I've always been bummed that Bedford and Amherst counties have more breweries than Lynchburg.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote: February 14th, 2020, 2:34 pm
chris leedlelee wrote: February 14th, 2020, 9:39 am
I'm pumped for Starr Hill to be here, too. I've always been bummed that Bedford and Amherst counties have more breweries than Lynchburg.
Amherst will still lay claim to the best- Loose Shoe.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Three Roads (formerly Third Street) Brewing Company from Farmville is also expanding in Lynchburg.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 14th, 2020, 9:14 am Breweries don't typically attract drunks.
This is accurate from my experience. I’m the head brewer (only brewer) at a small brewery and the only time we’ve ever had “drunks” show up is when the owners booked a big band with a following that is accustomed to seeing them play in bars.
chris leedlelee liked this
By ElmersTwin
ATrain wrote: February 14th, 2020, 2:42 pm Three Roads (formerly Third Street) Brewing Company from Farmville is also expanding in Lynchburg.
I'm curious as to when this place will open. I know they announced it just over a year ago, but that place they're moving into has been cursed (see: Lickinghole Creek's attempt at expanding into Lynchburg).
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ElmersTwin wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm
ATrain wrote: February 14th, 2020, 2:42 pm Three Roads (formerly Third Street) Brewing Company from Farmville is also expanding in Lynchburg.
I'm curious as to when this place will open. I know they announced it just over a year ago, but that place they're moving into has been cursed (see: Lickinghole Creek's attempt at expanding into Lynchburg).
Mid to late April. Lickinghole Creek was a unique case... Building owner that needed 12-18 months along with financing and a ready made space in Richmond that was available a month after their Lynchburg announcement. I think the Richmond move made a lot more sense for them.
Most of the brewing equipment is in place now at 3 Roads.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 9:21 pm
thepostman wrote: February 14th, 2020, 9:14 am Breweries don't typically attract drunks.
This is accurate from my experience. I’m the head brewer (only brewer) at a small brewery and the only time we’ve ever had “drunks” show up is when the owners booked a big band with a following that is accustomed to seeing them play in bars.
Yeah, I'm not even a beer drinker and know that. I guess to some people, beer will just always been seen as 'evil'
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote: February 15th, 2020, 3:38 am
adam42381 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 9:21 pm
Yeah, I'm not even a beer drinker and know that. I guess to some people, beer will just always been seen as 'evil'
Some people will be consistent with Christian Liberty. Just because it would be a sin for you doesn't mean it's a sin for everyone else.
By ElmersTwin
rogers3 wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:49 pm
ElmersTwin wrote: February 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm
Mid to late April. Lickinghole Creek was a unique case... Building owner that needed 12-18 months along with financing and a ready made space in Richmond that was available a month after their Lynchburg announcement. I think the Richmond move made a lot more sense for them.
Most of the brewing equipment is in place now at 3 Roads.
Oh nice. I figured it was definitely something to do with the space, but didn't know the details. I'm definitely hoping that space pans out for 3 Roads.
By chris leedlelee
Correct, which is why I am excited to see drinking establishments such as these show up in Lynchburg instead of "clubs", where debauchery is usually rampant. It gives the students and locals a positive drinking and social activity. Growing up in Florida, I had never been exposed to responsible and curated beer drinking until I went to LU. I thought beer was only for getting drunk as well because I had only been exposed to clubs in a big city and trashy bars.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote: April 1st, 2020, 8:56 am
Champion is a solid brewery. go back to your room at the nursing home Ballcoach with your old school thinking.
Wow. You must be bored. Ha
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
As someone who was a beer/wine steward for a year, and served quite a few people on a day to day basis, breweries and bars/taverns/growler stations don't attract drunks. The tender and management have enough sense to cut someone off if they even begin to look like they've had too much.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 1st, 2020, 9:06 am
bigsmooth wrote: April 1st, 2020, 8:56 am
Champion is a solid brewery. go back to your room at the nursing home Ballcoach with your old school thinking.
Wow. You must be bored. Ha
Can't imagine anybody struggling with that! Maybe I should scroll back through all of ball coaches comments and reply to them now.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]