This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 29th, 2020, 8:43 am You find that sickening PH??? I love ya man, but seriously? I mean I hate it myself but this is where we are at in today's political climate. Trump continuously mock democrats and those who are critical of him and the democrats mock Trump and his supporters. It is rather sad but I find it disingenuous when I see people who supported Trump all of a sudden see what CNN commentators do as "sickening".

Personally, I wish the political discourse on both sides of the aisle could grow up a little. Maybe we could start having real conversations. We aren't always going to agree but there should at least be enough respect not to resort to name calling and mocking. But this is the America we live in.I feel like I am in this alternate reality where the adults forgot how to be adults and are resorting to school yard bullying.

I am sure I will be countered with a ton of arguments as to why when Trump does it, it is ok but it isn't. It never is. I don't care if there is an R, D or I next to your name. Also, I got 3 hours of sleep last night so I have no idea how put together this statement is.
Don't look now but while Trump is calling out the opposition. And CNN and MSNBC are giggling at he and his supporters, Trump is ......................

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/artic ... 42047.html

Here's a summery and they forgot, his standing up for religious freedom, pro life support and our 2nd amendment. It will be interesting to see how his middle east peace deal works out.

Trump is creating jobs. employment news proves, more than any other metric the efficacy of President Trump’s growth doctrine of economic nationalism and the diffusion of power. Defying globalist skeptics from Wall Street, academia, and the corporate media, payrolls surged in America in 2019.

Broadening party. 2019 represented a seminal breakout year for the America First movement as the Republican Party changes to a workers’ party. This new focus translates, already, into significant signs of ethnic, racial, and geographic diversity for the GOP.

China deal. Trump proved to the world in 2019 that tariffs can be effectively deployed to force the Chinese Communist Party into a bargaining posture. The soaring economy in America demonstrated that tough trade policy can indeed coincide with growth.

Trade Deals With Allies. America First doesn't means America alone. The USMCA gets signed into law TODAY! No more NAFTA. A new era of prosperity with our neighbors as the global supply chain reorients from the Far East back to the Americas. Similarly, a breakthrough agreement signed with Japan and the new U.S.-Korea.

Judges. While dems and corporate media obsess over the sham impeachment inquest, President Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch Mitchell quietly pile up a historic pace of judicial confirmations.

Remain-in-Mexico Policy. Still need to drastically reform its inane asylum laws and provide vastly more border wall funding, but nonetheless President Trump found a fair and effective near-term solution for border control by requiring asylum seekers to apply from Mexico rather than trespassing across our sovereign border.

Eliminated the terrorist Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and Qassem Soleimani.

Natural Gas Exports Soaring. America became a net natural gas exporter for the first time since the Eisenhower administration. In 2019, this trend expanded in earnest, with an astonishing 60% growth rate of liquefied natural gas exports for the year.

Space Force – Establishing the sixth military service branch in 2019

And Purple this is good for both Virginias!
Last edited by TH Spangler on January 29th, 2020, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 29th, 2020, 8:43 am You find that sickening PH??? I love ya man, but seriously? I mean I hate it myself but this is where we are at in today's political climate. Trump continuously mock democrats and those who are critical of him and the democrats mock Trump and his supporters. It is rather sad but I find it disingenuous when I see people who supported Trump all of a sudden see what CNN commentators do as "sickening".

Personally, I wish the political discourse on both sides of the aisle could grow up a little. Maybe we could start having real conversations. We aren't always going to agree but there should at least be enough respect not to resort to name calling and mocking. But this is the America we live in.I feel like I am in this alternate reality where the adults forgot how to be adults and are resorting to school yard bullying.

I am sure I will be countered with a ton of arguments as to why when Trump does it, it is ok but it isn't. It never is. I don't care if there is an R, D or I next to your name. Also, I got 3 hours of sleep last night so I have no idea how put together this statement is.
I think you’re comparing apples to oranges. While you might find Trumps attacks off putting, and I get it, they are pretty targeted. He goes after specific people and leadership not the rank and file. When he says Shifty Schiff he’s attacking one person. A person who had called him a traitor a Russian Agent and a Putin stooge What you see in the clip and others like it is degrading and dehumanizing large swaths of people who have done nothing. These dudes just insulted my wife. My father. My mother. My aunts and uncles. My friends with advanced degrees and my friends who graduated high school and went straight to work. And why are they the object of this scorn? One reason and one reason only. They voted for Trump.
Lookit I give you grief for being in the Chair Force and I expect you to give me grief right back but I’m not going to denegrate you for the interactions I had with pompous arrogant Chair Force officials in a previous life. These guys in this clip don’t understand the difference. To be fair people line ballcoach’ don’t either and is why he gets racked over the coals for it
Politics has ALWATS been low brow
By chris leedlelee
Purple Haize wrote: January 29th, 2020, 12:51 am How does seceding from Virginia and becoming West Virginia advance the Kingdom of God. But I fail to see any advancement of the Eternal Kingdom with this move
This one is actually relatively easy to answer. The priorities of the Virginia state government, because of DC, no longer represent the counties westward of Richmond. So the population has the choice to either have a government that doesn't consider them a priority or join a state which is more aligned with the priorities of rural counties. As a Christian, one should be able to concede that it is better for people to have a government that represents them. If the Virginia state government is hostile toward Liberty U, as evidenced by the VTAG removal, then Liberty will have it's growth hindered, thus hindering the advancement of the Christian mission of LU. Whether or not Jerry should throw himself into this controversial issue is the question. I don't think he should, but Jerry is going to Jerry.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 29th, 2020, 12:46 am Jerry is doing his job advancing the kingdom of God and the spreading of the gospel. We are in a culture war and Jerry is a fighter for Christ, you can't just put your head in the sand and pretend that a war isn't going on
C'mon. Does the guy even go to church anywhere regularly? He's already told the world he doesn't advance the University's spiritual growth, that it is done "by (Nassar), the faculty and the students".
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: January 29th, 2020, 10:38 am
Purple Haize wrote: January 29th, 2020, 12:51 am How does seceding from Virginia and becoming West Virginia advance the Kingdom of God. But I fail to see any advancement of the Eternal Kingdom with this move
This one is actually relatively easy to answer. The priorities of the Virginia state government, because of DC, no longer represent the counties westward of Richmond. So the population has the choice to either have a government that doesn't consider them a priority or join a state which is more aligned with the priorities of rural counties. As a Christian, one should be able to concede that it is better for people to have a government that represents them. If the Virginia state government is hostile toward Liberty U, as evidenced by the VTAG removal, then Liberty will have it's growth hindered, thus hindering the advancement of the Christian mission of LU. Whether or not Jerry should throw himself into this controversial issue is the question. I don't think he should, but Jerry is going to Jerry.
I agree with 74.2% of that statement 😂
chris leedlelee liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
@Purple Haize I recognize that it is different but in my mind when the president does it, it is worst. The person in that position is held to a much higher standard, or should be, than some political pundit on CNN. With that said the nastiness of the current political climate is systematic at this point but to think one is worst or better than the other, just doesn't sit well with me. They both do damage to our political process just in different ways.

But I know that this isn't exactly a popular take on this board. Such is life I suppose.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 29th, 2020, 1:57 pm @Purple Haize I recognize that it is different but in my mind when the president does it, it is worst. The person in that position is held to a much higher standard, or should be, than some political pundit on CNN. With that said the nastiness of the current political climate is systematic at this point but to think one is worst or better than the other, just doesn't sit well with me. They both do damage to our political process just in different ways.

But I know that this isn't exactly a popular take on this board. Such is life I suppose.
I was right there with you until 2012. The way Obama address Romney and his opponents I realized the paradigm had shifted irrecoverably
chris leedlelee liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Refresh my memory, what did Obama do in the 2012 election the resembles anything close to what media pundits and the president do currently?

I was not an Obama supporter at all, I didn't vote for him and have fairly strong opinions about his presidency but I don't remember him talking down to people or about people the way the current president or media does now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:19 pm Refresh my memory, what did Obama do in the 2012 election the resembles anything close to what media pundits and the president do currently?

I was not an Obama supporter at all, I didn't vote for him and have fairly strong opinions about his presidency but I don't remember him talking down to people or about people the way the current president or media does now.
The 80’s Called they want their foreign policy back
We have these things called submarines
We won

Those are just a few. But that was against Mitt Romney. Who was Mr Clean and non negative. Go back and look at his debate performances I thought for sure his demeanor and attitude would be a turn off to the electorate. I was wrong. It was the exact opposite.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't remember that but Obama was overly confident, that I do remember.

I also thought that Trump's rhetoric would lose him the nomination because of what I thought were obvious reasons, but boy was I wrong.

Regardless, that seems really mild compared to some of the insanity being said now but I guess it just help us move further down this road and it will be very hard to turn back.

Also, I am sorry I ever questioned your Romney love back in the day. I miss the days of Mittens.
Purple Haize, Just John liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If General George Patton were alive today, he would be proud of President Trump.

"you win by attacking the enemy"
By chris leedlelee
Purple Haize wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:36 pm Those are just a few. But that was against Mitt Romney. Who was Mr Clean and non negative. Go back and look at his debate performances I thought for sure his demeanor and attitude would be a turn off to the electorate. I was wrong. It was the exact opposite.
You absolutely do have a good point here. Romney is as clean as snow from a secular moral perspective. However, the media made him out to be a man who was cruel to dogs, hated "47% of Americans", and was a misogynist (the "binders full of women" saga). That is partially why Trump became the Republican nominee, because Trump was essentially a big fat middle finger to the media. Traditional Republicans often believe that the media only hates Trump for his moral failings, and wouldn't have an issue with any other Republican. You only have to look back to 2012 to see that this isn't true, unfortunately.
TH Spangler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 29th, 2020, 4:00 pm I don't remember that but Obama was overly confident, that I do remember.

I also thought that Trump's rhetoric would lose him the nomination because of what I thought were obvious reasons, but boy was I wrong.

Regardless, that seems really mild compared to some of the insanity being said now but I guess it just help us move further down this road and it will be very hard to turn back.

Also, I am sorry I ever questioned your Romney love back in the day. I miss the days of Mittens.
Sounds like you are where I was back then. But if these are the rules of the game now then let’s play by those rules. Unilateral disarmament isn’t an option
Again remember that politics has always been nasty. Opponents used to start newspapers just to smear their opponents. So when people say they want to return to a day tempered discourse are hanging on to a fallacy
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 4:15 pm If General George Patton were alive today, he would be proud of President Trump.

"you win by attacking the enemy"
Smedley Butler stated war as "racketeering" and he's Patton times three :lol:
By Jonathan Carone
As the great Leo McGarry once said:
There was a freshman Democrat who came to Congress 50 years ago. He turned to a senior Democrat and said, "Where are the Republicans? I want to meet the enemy." The senior Democrat said, "The Republicans aren't the enemy. They're the opposition. The Senate is the enemy." Those days are over.
JK37, Just John liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Imagine being so up in arms over tighter gun regulations that you would want to leave the state with the #7 ranked public education system for the state ranked 44th https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... /education

Or wanting to leave Virginia for the poorest state in the entire country by median household income, or second poorest by per capita income. Also, WV has the fourth highest poverty rate while Virginia has the 12th lowest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... _by_income
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... /40968963/

Or for the 47th ranked state for most murder/violent crime (meaning only three states have less) for the 31st.

Or leaving for the state blowing out the competition in drug overdose death rate
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/ov ... -us-states

Poor, poorly educated, less safe, and riddled with drugs, what a great place to live!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'd be curious to see regional Virginia stats. Virginia Is a very different place as you get closer to DC and the east coast. I'm not saying this is a wise choice by any stretch but to simplify it as being just about gun rights is zooming in way too close. It's been years in the making with many feeling like they aren't being listened to.

Again, I don't think it is a wise move and is probably short sided but ultimately it doesn't matter because it isn't going to happen.
Purple Haize liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:28 pm Imagine being so up in arms over tighter gun regulations that you would want to leave the state with the #7 ranked public education system for the state ranked 44th https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... /education

Or wanting to leave Virginia for the poorest state in the entire country by median household income, or second poorest by per capita income. Also, WV has the fourth highest poverty rate while Virginia has the 12th lowest

Or for the 47th ranked state for most murder/violent crime (meaning only three states have less) for the 31st.

Or leaving for the state blowing out the competition in drug overdose death rate

Poor, poorly educated, less safe, and riddled with drugs, what a great place to live!
So what is in this stunt for Jerry? Most likely sees a cheaper labor rate and the ability to pay the pockets. I remember the whole "move to Atlanta" nonsense; maybe we'll be hearing rumbles of a move to the old Mountain State facilities in Martinsburg.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:36 pm I'd be curious to see regional Virginia stats. Virginia Is a very different place as you get closer to DC and the east coast. I'm not saying this is a wise choice by any stretch but to simplify it as being just about gun rights is zooming in way too close. It's been years in the making with many feeling like they aren't being listened to.

Again, I don't think it is a wise move and is probably short sided but ultimately it doesn't matter because it isn't going to happen.
I cannot find the source, but most localities in northern Virginia have some of the lowest rates of people receiving disability benefits in the nation. Other Virginia counties, like Buchanan, Lee, and Washington, have some of the highest.

Here are some numbers: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcom ... 018/va.pdf
By cruzan_flame13
thepostman wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:36 pm I'd be curious to see regional Virginia stats. Virginia Is a very different place as you get closer to DC and the east coast. I'm not saying this is a wise choice by any stretch but to simplify it as being just about gun rights is zooming in way too close. It's been years in the making with many feeling like they aren't being listened to.

Also considering that many people are leaving places that are "very liberal" and moving to Virginia and other southern states. I grew up in Northern Virginia and saw the transformation to what it is today. It wasn't this left about two decades ago. It may not look like there's no issues now, but Virginia will transform to what is occurring in West Virginia. It will not go bad overnight, it will occur as more folks from California, New York and other "blue" States. Texas is feeling it a lot more now, especially in their capital.

P.S. I am neither Republican or Democrat, but it was obvious when the Democratic party was hijacked.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:49 pm
lynchburgwildcats wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:28 pm Imagine being so up in arms over tighter gun regulations that you would want to leave the state with the #7 ranked public education system for the state ranked 44th https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... /education

What

So what is in this stunt for Jerry? Most likely sees a cheaper labor rate and the ability to pay the pockets. I remember the whole "move to Atlanta" nonsense; maybe we'll be hearing rumbles of a move to the old Mountain State facilities in Martinsburg.
"What's in it for Jerry"? As Postman already said, it's not going to happen so likely just a dig at Richmond.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: January 29th, 2020, 9:26 am

Trump is creating jobs. employment news proves, more than any other metric the efficacy of President Trump’s growth doctrine of economic nationalism and the diffusion of power. Defying globalist skeptics from Wall Street, academia, and the corporate media, payrolls surged in America in 2019.
Although the unemployment rate is low, the labor force participation rate has only grown by .4% since Trump took office. Unemployment rate is dropping because people are dropping out of the labor force:
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: January 30th, 2020, 7:28 am

Although the unemployment rate is low, the labor force participation rate has only grown by .4% since Trump took office. Unemployment rate is dropping because people are dropping out of the labor force:
Unemployment is down and fewer people are on government assistance, that's what counts ...... And this will take us to the next level. " Trade Deals With Allies. America First doesn't means America alone. The USMCA gets signed! No more NAFTA. A new era of prosperity with our neighbors as the global supply chain reorients from the Far East back to the Americas."

Good for us, Mexico and Canada. Other central American countries can benefit as well if they get their governments in order.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
ATrain wrote: January 30th, 2020, 7:28 am

Unemployment is down and fewer people are on government assistance, that's what counts ...... And this will take us to the next level. " Trade Deals With Allies. America First doesn't means America alone. The USMCA gets signed! No more NAFTA. A new era of prosperity with our neighbors as the global supply chain reorients from the Far East back to the Americas."

Good for us, Mexico and Canada. Other central American countries can benefit as well if they get their governments in order.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: There are so many more things involved in the supply chain than you realize.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]