This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Posts
#595454
Am I crazy or wouldn't having the conservative counties leave just turn the state more blue? It's not like Lynchburg/Campbell is near the border, so I'm not sure what Jerry is trying to accomplish here.
Purple Haize liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
#595481
stokesjokes wrote: February 5th, 2020, 3:13 pm Am I crazy or wouldn't having the conservative counties leave just turn the state more blue? It's not like Lynchburg/Campbell is near the border, so I'm not sure what Jerry is trying to accomplish here.
I doubt Jerry is involved in the Campbell County clown show. Sorry, but I think this is just an indicator of how weak the county education system is.
User avatar
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
#595484
stokesjokes wrote: February 5th, 2020, 3:13 pm Am I crazy or wouldn't having the conservative counties leave just turn the state more blue? It's not like Lynchburg/Campbell is near the border, so I'm not sure what Jerry is trying to accomplish here.
Attention. Besides the State Legislature would probably have to approve any part of the State leaving. I am sure that would never happen. Unfortunately, it has a negative affect on the reputation of the university. Very sad.
Just John liked this
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#595593
Well, he’s a self confessed Troll so you can only expect so much
User avatar
By cruzan_flame13
Posts
#595596
Purple Haize wrote: February 8th, 2020, 7:32 pm Well, he’s a self confessed Troll so you can only expect so much
Well he's not lying about how terrible NOVA has become especially with living. I had to leave that place and it will get worse as more people implode in that area. Because you dont want to believe it, doesn't make it not true. Granted I was there when NOVA wasn't so packed twenty years ago and since more people from the north and west came here, it just became worse and worse(not every person but selective individuals). Especially when illegal immigrant came along hard in the 00's; I went to school with so much people in MS13(and other gangs/malicious groups)and resided with them. What's funny is that Tim Kaine was so strict with immigration as governor in the 00's and then all of a sudden he's for sanctuary cities and open borders. Other politicians as well. The fact that people depend on these moochers is why there's so much problems. Let's fight each other as these folks have their body guards in their gated million dollar houses as they're told what to do by lobbyists and the CFR (Counsel of Foreign Relation). Anyways, back to the Vexit topic :)
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
#595598
makarov97 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 7:26 pm
lynchburgwildcats wrote: January 29th, 2020, 7:28 pm Imagine being so up in arms over tighter gun regulations that you would want to leave the state with the #7 ranked public education system for the state ranked 44th https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... /education

Or wanting to leave Virginia for the poorest state in the entire country by median household income, or second poorest by per capita income. Also, WV has the fourth highest poverty rate while Virginia has the 12th lowest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... _by_income
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... /40968963/

Or for the 47th ranked state for most murder/violent crime (meaning only three states have less) for the 31st.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... /40968963/

Or leaving for the state blowing out the competition in drug overdose death rate
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/ov ... -us-states

Poor, poorly educated, less safe, and riddled with drugs, what a great place to live!
This is what happens when you go to newspapers and the media for your "statistics." For example, your homicide/murder rates are just flat out wrong.

Go to the UCR on the FBI website. 2018 is the latest where there are complete numbers. Virginia's murder and nonnegligent manslaughter rate is 4.6 per 100,000. West Virginia's is 3.7 per 100,000.

Virginia has significantly higher rates of robbery (42.3 vs 31.7) and nearly identical rates of rape ( 34.3 vs 36.1)

The only violent crime category where West Virginia has a significantly higher rate than Virginia is aggravated assault (218.5 vs 118.7) (a lot of country folk will throw hands to settle a dispute and then shake hands afterwards instead of crying for someone's manager.)

Virginia has significantly higher rates of Property crime as well (1,665.8 vs 1,485.6).

IMHO Virginia is a cesspool. Particularly the "Karen" infested swamp that is NOVA. The ignorant, self-important, egotistical, sanctimonious, baby-killing, sodomite loving, dredges of society that inhabit that place have made living in Virginia as bad as living in Kalifornia.

I'd much rather have the wide-open spaces and freedom of West Virginia than the urban filth that the South New Jersey that east of 95 "Virginia" has become.
Maybe you need to take your testosterone boosting firearms and head West. There are jobs...meth is big.
Actually, WV is my favorite vacation destination.
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#595603
NoVa is awful. That much I'll agree with. I transferred back to DC not so long ago but remained in Anne Arundel County, Md. I'll take this part of the region over NoVa any day of the week.

I still don't get Jr's logic though. Breaking off from the Liberal part of Virginia to make a larger conservative state doesn't make a lot of sense. Oh well. Jerry will be Jerry I guess.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
#595621
Jr makes himself look like an idiot when it comes to politics. West Virginia is up there in taxes but hey, if he wants to pay more taxes just so he can stick it to the Libs then more power to him.

I also saw a clip where he told Romney to keep religion to himself. You would think a statement like that, it would've came from a socialist like Bernie.
Just John liked this
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#595643
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 9th, 2020, 5:54 pm Do we have any evidence Jerry is actually a Christian at this point?
Really? Way to stay classy. :BS
User avatar
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
#595659
I'm not big on publically questioning ones salvation but I'll say this, a lot of the things Jr says in the name of politics are hard to swallow since he is the leader of a Chrisrian university.
Just John liked this
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#595661
Purple Haize wrote: February 9th, 2020, 7:52 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 9th, 2020, 5:54 pm Do we have any evidence Jerry is actually a Christian at this point?
Really? Way to stay classy. :BS
He's doesn't fit in Carone's christian box. :lol: PH Im not sure we do either :lol:
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
Posts
#595673
thepostman wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:20 am I'm not big on publically questioning ones salvation but I'll say this, a lot of the things Jr says in the name of politics are hard to swallow since he is the leader of a Chrisrian university.
I don't ask that question lightly at all. But over the last few years, here's the evidence we do have:
  • He's abdicated any and all spiritual responsibility for the school.
  • He's been publicly mean-spirited towards people who disagree with him.
  • He has stated faith should have no impact on business.
  • He's told people to keep their faith to themselves and not let it impact their public life.
  • His emails have included name calling and insulting remarks towards people.
We're told we'd know followers of Jesus by the fruit of their actions. The only fruit we've seen the past few years has been rotten. My question is do we have any evidence of the contrary? I'm not asking for him to preach a sermon or to be perfect or anything like that. By all evidence I can see or have seen, the only time he claims Christ in recent years is when it's a personal or financial gain for himself.

So my question remains: do we have evidence that he's currently living a Christian life?
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#595678
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 10th, 2020, 9:45 am
thepostman wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:20 am I'm not big on publically questioning ones salvation but I'll say this, a lot of the things Jr says in the name of politics are hard to swallow since he is the leader of a Chrisrian university.
I don't ask that question lightly at all. But over the last few years, here's the evidence we do have:
  • He's abdicated any and all spiritual responsibility for the school.
  • He's been publicly mean-spirited towards people who disagree with him.
  • He has stated faith should have no impact on business.
  • He's told people to keep their faith to themselves and not let it impact their public life.
  • His emails have included name calling and insulting remarks towards people.
We're told we'd know followers of Jesus by the fruit of their actions. The only fruit we've seen the past few years has been rotten. My question is do we have any evidence of the contrary? I'm not asking for him to preach a sermon or to be perfect or anything like that. By all evidence I can see or have seen, the only time he claims Christ in recent years is when it's a personal or financial gain for himself.

So my question remains: do we have evidence that he's currently living a Christian life?
I hope all your negativity doesn't come from hurt feelings a long time ago. If so you need to let it go :!:
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#595683
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 10th, 2020, 9:45 am
thepostman wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:20 am I'm not big on publically questioning ones salvation but I'll say this, a lot of the things Jr says in the name of politics are hard to swallow since he is the leader of a Chrisrian university.
I don't ask that question lightly at all. But over the last few years, here's the evidence we do have:
  • He's abdicated any and all spiritual responsibility for the school.
  • He's been publicly mean-spirited towards people who disagree with him.
  • He has stated faith should have no impact on business.
  • He's told people to keep their faith to themselves and not let it impact their public life.
  • His emails have included name calling and insulting remarks towards people.
We're told we'd know followers of Jesus by the fruit of their actions. The only fruit we've seen the past few years has been rotten. My question is do we have any evidence of the contrary? I'm not asking for him to preach a sermon or to be perfect or anything like that. By all evidence I can see or have seen, the only time he claims Christ in recent years is when it's a personal or financial gain for himself.

So my question remains: do we have evidence that he's currently living a Christian life?
Wow. Should we have someone go through your last two years as well?
Your statement is very troublesome. You’re saying he was either never a Christian in the first place or had renounced his faith entirely and turned his back on God. Because he’s been mean. Because he’s a lawyer not a Pastor so leaves spiritual matters to those trained in it.
That’s dark territory to enter into
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
Posts
#595691
If you went through my last two years, you would see plenty of times where I dropped the ball and acted in ways I shouldn't have but you would also see evidence of times the Gospel is shown clearly in my life in public ways.

That's exactly why I'm not asking Jerry to be perfect, only for evidence of a Christian life being actively impacted by the Gospel. When everything else stands in contradiction of the Bible, it's fair to ask the question, especially of a Christian leader.

We're extremely quick to ask this question about pastors who teach a false Gospel (Osteen, Jakes, etc) or of celebrities/musicians who claim Jesus but live lives that don't back it up. But we don't ask it in the business world when people use the Christian label to advance their business while living a life that is anything but.

As for renouncing his faith - it wouldn't be as uncommon as you'd think. It's happening all over Christianity right now from people who were at one time Christian leaders - especially those who were Christian leaders at a young age. Some are doing it publicly and loudly (i.e. Joshua Harris, many Christian bands who got popular young) while others are doing it much quieter. People who have been active members of this message board and Liberty grads have questioned their faith and walked away from it. It's unfortunate - and it happens for a multitude of reasons - but it's not rare, especially in today's climate.
User avatar
By chris leedlelee
Posts
#595692
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 10th, 2020, 9:45 am So my question remains: do we have evidence that he's currently living a Christian life?
I think that personality differences are often used in the church as a spiritual benchmark rather than doctrinal integrity. While it is true that you "will know them by their fruits", Jerry has not, to our knowledge, explicitly condoned and exercised a specific sin in his life without repentance. Christians have encompassed all walks of life and often have had differences in temperament that led to divisions. Paul and Barnabas split over Mark, Peter was rash and temperamental, Matthew was a tax collector and Simon was a Zealot. Each had massive differences that would make your own differences with Jerry seem minuscule. While I wish Jerry would emphasize his Christianity more in his public life, he is also a lawyer, and it is totally within his right to fight for the legal and political causes that he believes in.
Jonathan Carone liked this
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
Posts
#595694
chris leedlelee wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:11 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 10th, 2020, 9:45 am So my question remains: do we have evidence that he's currently living a Christian life?
I think that personality differences are often used in the church as a spiritual benchmark rather than doctrinal integrity. While it is true that you "will know them by their fruits", Jerry has not, to our knowledge, explicitly condoned and exercised a specific sin in his life without repentance. Christians have encompassed all walks of life and often have had differences in temperament that led to divisions. Paul and Barnabas split over Mark, Peter was rash and temperamental, Matthew was a tax collector and Simon was a Zealot. Each had massive differences that would make your own differences with Jerry seem minuscule. While I wish Jerry would emphasize his Christianity more in his public life, he is also a lawyer, and it is totally within his right to fight for the legal and political causes that he believes in.
This is a great response. Thank you.

I'm 100% okay with Jerry fighting for the legal and political causes he believes in. And he doesn't have to have Biblical texts to back up each and every one of those causes. I believe there's a gigantic lane to run in as a Christian when it comes to those issues. If he believes there's an economic policy that is best for this country then by all means, he can support that policy. I'm absolutely okay with disagreeing on political issues and I think your post shows how we have evidence of Godly people disagreeing all the way back to the disciples and apostles.

But what I don't buy into is that just because someone is a lawyer means they have to be outwardly rude, demeaning, and condescending. You can fight for what you believe in while still showing the public attributes Jesus has called us all to conduct ourselves with.
User avatar
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
#595695
You don’t like him or his demeanor I get it. People have walked away from Christianity as long as I’ve been alive.
You make a good point about Osteen etc but I disagree with your conclusions. For starters they ARE Pastors and Spiritual leaders. No different than the Swaggarts Bakers etc back in my day. Secondly maybe we collectively should look more towards ourselves instead of calling other people’s Christianity
User avatar
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
#595696
Is Jr a christian? This is the dumbest question I have ever seen on here. I agree his fruit is rotten and as of now, he will not be living in the same neighborhood as his father and mother. If there is a Watts or East St. Louis, in heaven, I am sure he will be the mayor.
He is indeed being a very poor representative for a christian university, but even the prodigal son was saved during his miss-guided-adventures, and eventually came back home. Hopefully Jr. will make his way back to sensibility and the bosom of the Savior, but to question his salvation is a sign of a butt-hurt, snowflake, and sophomoric mind set. Especially for someone who changed their name here, due to the self-awareness of less than stellar behavior, condescending attitude and name-calling .
Last edited by flameshaw on February 10th, 2020, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris leedlelee liked this
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#595697
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:24 am
But what I don't buy into is that just because someone is a lawyer means they have to be outwardly rude, demeaning, and condescending.
In your mine was he or Becky rude, demeaning and condescending to you in the past. If so you should let it go, holding on only hurts you. You're very blessed, with a beautiful family. :idea: 8)
User avatar
By Jonathan Carone
Posts
#595699
flameshaw wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:47 am If there is a Watts or East St. Louis, in heaven, I am sure he will be the mayor.
That legitimately made me laugh out loud.

I think the prodigal son reference is a great one, and I can totally buy that.

But I also know how many people - especially those from largely Christian families - live their lives off their parents' faith for years or decades before ever actually making their faith personal.

I hope to God I'm wrong on this. I hope it's just a season of rotten fruit. But if we're going to questions the Justin Biebers and Kanye Wests on their sincerity, I see nothing sophomoric or butthurt about questioning Jerry's sincerity either.

And for the record - neither Jerry or Becki have ever done anything to me personally. I have nothing to hold a grudge against them about. But as the leader of a Christian university that has over 100,000 students, and as a nationwide witness of Christianity, I'm going to hold him to the same standards I hold other Christian leaders to.
flamehunter liked this
User avatar
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
#595700
Okay. Read a FB post a while back and thought maybe their insensitivity to you a long time ago was taken that way. :dontgetit
ASUN Tournament

Not sure how I feel about JU’s decision […]

Maricopa County audit

Things are heating up in AZ and it's not even summ[…]

The COVID-19 Megathread

Yesterday, had a guy ask me where my mask was. […]

I don't know all that much about the place, but […]