This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

thepostman wrote: January 27th, 2020, 12:57 pm It is a good get but I would like to see LU change it up from time to time. There are a ton of amazing leaders in other areas of the world other then politics. It is probably me being nitpicky.
It’s you being nit picky
Kricket liked this
Yes, perfect timing. Right on the heels of dropping F-bombs on a journalist and then suggesting, dishonestly, she didn't successfully point out Ukraine on a map...although she was educated at Harvard and Cambridge with a degree in European Studies and has traveled all over the world, including to Ukraine multiple times. Nice guy.

Btw...he didn't deny going off on her or cussing her out. And she has the emails with his staff backing up her claim she did not agree to not discuss Ukraine. Maybe Jr appreciates his thin skin. :)

There are just so many better options...
Just John wrote: January 27th, 2020, 11:50 pm Yes, perfect timing. Right on the heels of dropping F-bombs on a journalist and then suggesting, dishonestly, she didn't successfully point out Ukraine on a map...although she was educated at Harvard and Cambridge with a degree in European Studies and has traveled all over the world, including to Ukraine multiple times. Nice guy.

Btw...he didn't deny going off on her or cussing her out. And she has the emails with his staff backing up her claim she did not agree to not discuss Ukraine. Maybe Jr appreciates his thin skin. :)

There are just so many better options...
Well, expect decisions that are best, not for the school, but for the ego of the decision-maker.
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 28th, 2020, 1:43 pm Someone who represents being a champion for Christ.
I am busy that weekend.
BTW, Pompeo is a strong believer. If he did cuss someone out. Maybe those who never have never done such a thing, should step up and volunteer to speak. Besides, aren't we a school of "second chances"? If we kept the list of speakers to only those who haven't used the f word, we wouldn't ever have a commencement speaker.
I understand the sentiment to some degree, but some on here would oppose Jesus Christ speaking, if Jr. did the inviting. Jonathan probably can get him the number. :)
flameshaw wrote: January 28th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 28th, 2020, 1:43 pm Someone who represents being a champion for Christ.
I am busy that weekend.
BTW, Pompeo is a strong believer. If he did cuss someone out. Maybe those who never have never done such a thing, should step up and volunteer to speak. Besides, aren't we a school of "second chances"? If we kept the list of speakers to only those who haven't used the f word, we wouldn't ever have a commencement speaker.
I understand the sentiment to some degree, but some on here would oppose Jesus Christ speaking, if Jr. did the inviting. Jonathan probably can get him the number. :)
It's not just the cursing. It's also yelling at her and trying to intimidate her when she was not in the wrong. She has the emails to prove it. But most importantly, dishonestly suggesting to the world she chose Bangladesh as Ukraine on a map, which is on another continent, when based on her education and experiences, is clearly brighter than that. Second chances are great. That's one of the things I love most about Jerry, Sr. but one should acknowledge their mistake first. Pompeo hasn't. Instead. he laughed about it publicly last night. This is no better than having the Mooch speak in convo. We can be better.
Last edited by Just John on January 29th, 2020, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris leedlelee wrote: January 28th, 2020, 11:53 am Regardless of what you think of the President, it is still an honor for any school to have the Secretary of State come to speak at Commencement. I know some are tired of the politics, but this is still the highest-profile speaker we can get. Who would you rather have?
Would you have felt the same way about Eric Holder or Susan Rice from the Obama administration or even Hillary Clinton? We aren't talking convo here.
Just John wrote: January 29th, 2020, 11:14 am
chris leedlelee wrote: January 28th, 2020, 11:53 am Regardless of what you think of the President, it is still an honor for any school to have the Secretary of State come to speak at Commencement. I know some are tired of the politics, but this is still the highest-profile speaker we can get. Who would you rather have?
Would you have felt the same way about Eric Holder or Susan Rice from the Obama administration or even Hillary Clinton? We aren't talking convo here.
Obama would have been a good get.
Just John wrote: January 29th, 2020, 11:14 am Would you have felt the same way about Eric Holder or Susan Rice from the Obama administration or even Hillary Clinton? We aren't talking convo here.
Absolutely. Anyone who is in a high-level position that has been given large responsibilities in our society would be celebrated by me at least. I, for one, was just as happy to have Bernie come to convo as I was to have Trump.
I think convo is the place to bring in different people with different ideas. That's where we expose our students to different ways of thinking and different avenues of life.

Commencement is the celebration and sending off of what we are meant to do as a school: training champions for Christ. Because of that, I think it's hugely important to have someone who is actually a champion for Christ as the speaker at commencement. If that person is in politics - cool. But I'd rather have a lesser known champion for Christ above a more powerful person who doesn't represent what our students have spent the last 4-5 years training to do.
I bet most of you remember who spoke at your commencement. Do you remember anything that was said?

Mine was Newt Gingrich. I don’t remember a single word. That could be due to other significant events happening around that weekend.

Point is, commencement speeches are by and large all pomp. All you’ve got is the name. So it stands to reason to have the biggest name you can get.
thepostman wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:55 pm Haha, the snowflake thing is comical and predictable.I admitted I was being nitpicky. It isn't my preference but such is life. We can have different opinions without actually resorting to name calling.
Whatever poopey head
thepostman liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]