This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:23 pm After all, locker room talk/actions makes everything ok 😉

But honestly I don't care much about this. It is an interesting dynamic that is for sure.
It doesn't make the action ok, but it is essentially putting on social media that there is a different set of rules for football players than there are for every other student. In effect, it is further exacerbating resentment towards athletes on campus.

Personally, if someone wants to smoke a cigar, go ahead (although an argument can be made against it, our bodies being temples for the Holy Spirit and all).

However, as I have gotten older, I see that some of my actions as a student weren't sinful because of anything the Bible specifically said against them. Rather, it is sinful just because I agreed to not do something, and then I went and did it anyway.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:23 pm After all, locker room talk/actions makes everything ok 😉

But honestly I don't care much about this. It is an interesting dynamic that is for sure.
There are certain things that are said and done in a locker room that are not best consumed in the General Populace and I’m ok with that. Just as there are things said and done in a squad room, barracks or platoon that you wouldn’t necessarily say or do at church on Sunday. And that’s ok
By Jonathan Carone
I think I was most amazed not at the fact they were smoking cigars, but more that they were doing it in the locker room and publicizing it so much.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 1:48 pm I think I was most amazed not at the fact they were smoking cigars, but more that they were doing it in the locker room and publicizing it so much.
This right here
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 1:48 pm I think I was most amazed not at the fact they were smoking cigars, but more that they were doing it in the locker room and publicizing it so much.
Yep. That is Locker Room Creed Violation #1
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 9:30 am So what exactly were they celebrating? Being “Bowl Eligible”? Really? What happens if they don’t end up going to a Bowl? It’s a snapshot of the underlying issues with LU athletics. Football had a nice season and shows promise. They didn’t really beat anyone of consequence and got routed a couple of times. BUT since they won X amount of games that MAY get them to a bottom tier Bowl game lets beat our chests and celebrate? Now if they go to a Bowl and win, party on Wayne. But celebrating this? Bush league
Total :BS
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:28 pm After further review, I think the cigar idea came from the term "light'em up" when LU scores a touchdown.
Exactly right Ballcoach. But you have to take into consideration that some hate anything Jr. does/allows because of his alignment with The Trumpster. Logic be danged.
There are a lot of other reasons to question some things he does and his dad did. But the fact he supports Trump, is the unpardonable sin. Pretty easy to recognize.

:roll: 8)
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 3:05 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:28 pm After further review, I think the cigar idea came from the term "light'em up" when LU scores a touchdown.
Exactly right Ballcoach. But you have to take into consideration that some hate anything Jr. does/allows because of his alignment with The Trumpster. Logic be danged.
There are a lot of other reasons to question some things he does and his dad did. But the fact he supports Trump, is the unpardonable sin. Pretty easy to recognize.

How is this a Jerry or Trump issue? Nobody brought that up.
By cruzan_flame13
It may not have been brought up, but we all know since that day Jr. made his stand for the orange man, folks just dislike Jr and anything he does or not. Not saying that this is why folks are setting their opinions on this discussion, but it sure is part of it as a whole even if people have the guts to say it or not(since Jerry is involved in this). Overall, in my opinion of course, I do not care much and still think it's funny. As the Gillette commercial "illustrated" to us, boys will be boys :D
By Jonathan Carone
This has nothing to do with Jr or Trump.

My best guess is Freeze has a tradition from his past schools that when he gets bowl eligible they celebrate with cigars and he brought it here.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 3:05 pm

:BS
I think you are a little bit hung up on the whole Jr/Trump thing. Most people seem to dislike Jerry because he poorly represents the school and displays an attitude that is clearly not in alignment with what LU stands for. Personally, I dislike the way the Jerry is using LU to better the friends and family of the Administration no matter the value they provide to the institution.
That being said, I like cigars; I'd say that it would be logical to change the Liberty Way in such a manner that the President of the school doesn't violate it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
no comment
Last edited by Cider Jim on December 3rd, 2019, 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By tyndal23
Guess the fire alarm sprinkler system doesn’t work... honestly broke about every rule in my time there but I like the rules being in place and enforced - wasn’t a good look in my opinion. Shocked it was Carone firing the first salvo and not ballcoach -
By rtb72
I guess I'm in the minority maybe...but is this really that big of a deal. The kids were excited and had a little fun. I remember when I was a kid they had those fake candy cigarettes I use to pretend I was smoking. It was harmless and I think this is the same case here...IMO. I get there are rules and maybe even a little "look the other way" that some might have an issue with. At the end of the day...if that's the worst these kids do for a celebration on a monumental moment to them, I say let it go and move on.
By Jonathan Carone
My issue was less with the kids doing it and more with the leadership providing them with something that normal students would get in tons of trouble for and then publicizing it throughout social media. I didn’t like the public hypocrisy. But if it’s not a big deal for normal students then it’s a non issue. I don’t prefer it to be all over social but life’s not about my preferences.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Somehow, gagging on gnats and swallowing camels, seems quite appropriate here. 8) 8)

BTW, the 1/2 page, stupid pop up ads, mostly from Disney are showing up again. Sucks big time.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I heard it was position coaches play on light em up but they were supposed to for show only. Of course a couple that lit them up have not been known for making smart choices.

Overall, not a great look for the school. I think its way down the list of things students staff do in violation of liberty way. Its more the feel of it to me.
By Jonathan Carone
jinxy wrote: December 4th, 2019, 8:10 pmOverall, not a great look for the school. I think its way down the list of things students staff do in violation of liberty way. Its more the feel of it to me.
I think this is how I'd sum it up for me.
By rhezick
The real question is, as POTUS 43 was asked..... did they inhale? We must get to the bottom of this. The backbone of our academia is at stake. Someone needs to smell their breath!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I did not know this until today. But I heard on a PSA that it’s actually illegal for someone under the age of 21 to even be in possession of tobacco. That’s ludicrous. It makes those pictures even worse legally. Stupid legislation though.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]