This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The City of Lynchburg needs to do something to alleviate the traffic back ups on Ward's Road. From the tunnel entrance to Golden Coral , it's basically a parking lot.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
A. It is the beginning of the school year.
B. You start a thread on this almost every year it seems. Or at least complain about it
C. I have no idea if there is anything that can really be done. They built that area up and didn't think it through too much. Your solution of eliminating traffic lights is not a solution that will work because then people would just be stuck coming out of all of the shopping areas along that road. I don't know what the solution could be but no matter what is done there will always be a lot of traffic there due to businesses and the growth of LU.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Postman, your points are all valid, but something needs to be done. I got caught in that mess yesterday. As I looked to the rear and to the front, while sitting at a light, no traffic on ward's road seemed to be moving. Looked like a giant long and narrow parking lot.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You are also dealing with a dividing line between City and County.
There really is not much that can be done. Any construction is going to make traffic worse. Can you even add lanes? Frontage roads? Roundabouts?
But ballcoach just likes to bring up problems with no solutions
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, it's not even that bad. Yes, we all hate traffic, and I personally am very prone to road rage, but even I'll admit that it only seems bad because Lynchburg is used to pretty much very little traffic. The Lynchburg "rush hours" are annoying, but hardly a parking lot.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Last night I came off Expressway onto Ward's Road headed south. I caught every traffic light on green. I never stopped until I got to Burley's Market. Granted, after 9:00 there wasn't much traffic.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I know that feeling . I lived up there 3 different times (6 years total). Which direction from DC do you live ?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I've lived outside of Boston, in the Baltimore area, Lynchburg, Roanoke, VA Beach, Farmville and wasted a year and a half of my existence in Dallas. Boston has the worst traffic based on my experience (although something tells me thepostman has it worse now than I did in Boston). Wards Rd. can be annoying at times, but its nowhere near as bad as other other places.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 1:35 pm and you complain about the traffic on Wards rd!!??
He probably lived there before I-95 became the world's largest parking lot
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 2:55 pm I've lived outside of Boston, in the Baltimore area, Lynchburg, Roanoke, VA Beach, Farmville and wasted a year and a half of my existence in Dallas. Boston has the worst traffic based on my experience (although something tells me thepostman has it worse now than I did in Boston). Wards Rd. can be annoying at times, but its nowhere near as bad as other other places.
Baltimore is hit or miss it seems as far as traffic goes. DC on the other hand, it is hell on earth. I have myself to blame because I chose not to move closer so I try not to complain about it too much.
By LU 57
thepostman wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 3:05 pm
ATrain wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 2:55 pm I've lived outside of Boston, in the Baltimore area, Lynchburg, Roanoke, VA Beach, Farmville and wasted a year and a half of my existence in Dallas. Boston has the worst traffic based on my experience (although something tells me thepostman has it worse now than I did in Boston). Wards Rd. can be annoying at times, but its nowhere near as bad as other other places.
Baltimore is hit or miss it seems as far as traffic goes. DC on the other hand, it is hell on earth. I have myself to blame because I chose not to move closer so I try not to complain about it too much.
Lived in Baltimore for about 5 years. If you work in Baltimore and live along 83 corridor, no problem. If you have to travel the beltway and/or 95 often it can be pretty brutal. I agree that DC is much worse though.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
With the road that runs by the indoor track being extended to Odd Fellows Road, and eventually to 501 south, and the planned commercial stuff there, hopefully someday it will take some traffic off Wards Road.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
I'm a transplant from SoCal who had a 45 mile commute to downtown LA (think 90 minutes drive time). Somebody at work the other day mentioned "leaving to beat the traffic". :dontgetit I understand it's relative but it was nonetheless still funny. "Leaving early to beat the traffic" meant leaving at 330 instead of 5pm.

I feel for Postman though. I have been stuck in DC traffic many times. I think it's even worse.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]