This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
adam42381 wrote: September 11th, 2019, 9:54 pm Wait, Jr. is drinking publicly in Lynchburg? I hadn’t heard that before.
I can’t remember the thread, but when the whole alcohol for faculty came up a few months ago, this was discussed. There’s even a picture with Jerry holding a drink while wearing an LU lapel pin. As I said then, I have no problem with him drinking, just think it’s shady how they’ve gone about things.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: September 11th, 2019, 9:15 pm
Just John wrote: September 11th, 2019, 11:38 am
lynchburgwildcats wrote: September 11th, 2019, 7:23 am
I have no idea who that is.
My daughters name is Ashley Reagan. Hope that helps with the “yikes” factor. :roll:
Who that is refers to the last person mentioned in your post. Learn English, genius.
I apologize. I thought it was generally well known Ronald Reagan had a son named "Michael Reagan". Especially when "Reagan had a granddaughter" was also added to the comment.

It doesn't even take a genius to know that. I'll not make that mistake with you again.

(What a weird thing to get all hyped up about. Too much coffee dude???).
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: September 11th, 2019, 9:43 pm
1. The author of this piece rally doesn't use any names. If someone provides information, but won't allow their name to be used, it is most likely :BS .
First of all I find your other points agreeable, though most would find the behaviors that have been displayed in the last few days aren't acceptable at Liberty...at least the one you care for. As to the point above, it is pretty naive at best. Jerry hasn't issued claims of libel, which would be more indicative of BS; on the contrary, he wants to find out who leaked this stuff. Lies typically aren't referred to as "leaked info." Jerry also has made it clear that the board has no governance, which is a real problem when it comes to accreditation. I talked with a faculty member who was worried because someone had emailed a link to the politico article to his liberty.edu address. Unlike Jerry, he understands that an email from an institution's site such as liberty.edu belongs to the school, not the person (and there is legal precedent for that). He also said that faculty he has interacted with are leery about mentioning anything while on campus.
By the way, I can't mention his name, so take it all as :BS
:D
By rtb72
ElmersTwin wrote: September 11th, 2019, 9:42 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 11th, 2019, 9:04 pm Also - does the FBI have to take on the case? Is it even under the FBI jurisdiction? Who is paying for the meanest lawyer in New York - Jerry or the school?
To answer your last question, probably my cost of living increase. :wink:
As for the first question, the FBI does not have to take the "case", and I would quite frankly be surprised if they did. It sounds more like a local or state matter to me if even that. I am not completely clear on how LU can claim ownership of emails sent to other parties even if it was on LU server, but I'm sure the high paid NY lawyers know more about that than me. The NDA that employees signed is completely civil, though...so there would be no criminal investigation in that regard. I really think maybe the whole matter would tend to be more civil in nature than anything.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: September 11th, 2019, 11:22 pm
flameshaw wrote: September 11th, 2019, 9:43 pm
1. The author of this piece rally doesn't use any names. If someone provides information, but won't allow their name to be used, it is most likely :BS .
First of all I find your other points agreeable, though most would find the behaviors that have been displayed in the last few days aren't acceptable at Liberty...at least the one you care for. As to the point above, it is pretty naive at best. Jerry hasn't issued claims of libel, which would be more indicative of BS; on the contrary, he wants to find out who leaked this stuff. Lies typically aren't referred to as "leaked info." Jerry also has made it clear that the board has no governance, which is a real problem when it comes to accreditation. I talked with a faculty member who was worried because someone had emailed a link to the politico article to his liberty.edu address. Unlike Jerry, he understands that an email from an institution's site such as liberty.edu belongs to the school, not the person (and there is legal precedent for that). He also said that faculty he has interacted with are leery about mentioning anything while on campus.
By the way, I can't mention his name, so take it all as :BS
:D
Wait! If someone sent the link to the article to a liberty. Edu account, then it has to be on LU’s server. Which means that article is now LU property! Amifight?! Problem solved :D 8)
No. This is more about a Loyalty Test than anything
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: September 11th, 2019, 10:49 pm
lynchburgwildcats wrote: September 11th, 2019, 9:15 pm
Just John wrote: September 11th, 2019, 11:38 am
My daughters name is Ashley Reagan. Hope that helps with the “yikes” factor. :roll:
Who that is refers to the last person mentioned in your post. Learn English, genius.
I apologize. I thought it was generally well known Ronald Reagan had a son named "Michael Reagan". Especially when "Reagan had a granddaughter" was also added to the comment.

It doesn't even take a genius to know that. I'll not make that mistake with you again.

(What a weird thing to get all hyped up about. Too much coffee dude???).
The names of Presidents' children is not something considered common knowledge for the vast majority of people. Especially for Presidents whose tenure came prior to one's birth.

And I do not drink that toilet swill called coffee.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 12th, 2019, 6:06 am

Wait! If someone sent the link to the article to a liberty. Edu account, then it has to be on LU’s server. Which means that article is now LU property! Amifight?! Problem solved :D 8)
No. This is more about a Loyalty Test than anything
Point is, the author of an email from an institutional domain does not own their email. Jerry is an employee, so if a board member were to gain access to his email, there is little recourse...unless his board has no governance. If one wants to read the SACS manual regarding this, it is easy to find. Working at another college has allowed me time to dive into the subject. I think of the FBI thing akin to a shoplifter whose house gets broken into and then calls the police. I'm certainly not an ultimate authority, but at some point, executive overreach will get noticed by an accreditation body. My guess is Jerry thinks he can sue his way out of anything.
Last edited by rogers3 on September 12th, 2019, 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
By House on fire
flameshaw wrote: September 11th, 2019, 9:43 pm I wrote a long reply to this last night and for some reason, it didn't show up. It was late, so I could have done something wrong.
I am going to try and make this real short.
2. I think Jr's ego needs to be reeled in substantially. Don't think his dad would be real happy regarding the current situation.
3. We are rapidly becoming Wake Forest, TCU, Baylor, etc. Christian in name only. I love LU and this breaks my heart.
4. Jr. has done an excellent job with the endowment and his skill set is certainly more in the business side of the University.
5. I have an adult beverage almost every day, sometimes multiples. I don't see anything biblically wrong with it. However, I am very disappointed that Jr. consumes alcohol in local public restaurants. As a Chancellor of a Christian university, I do think it shows very bad judgement at a minimum.

Again, I love LU. I hope my kids and grand kids go there some day. I don't think Jr's reaction to this situation is being publicly well received and regret that. I think it was a mistake. I would like to see Jr. get through this and reel in some of the perceived/real ego stuff. We will see. It is not my dads LU, but it is a fine line to walk. Prayers.
1. As has already been mentioned, journalists (see Watergate) and law enforcement use them all the time. I'll grant that with law enforcement, they do eventually have to testify, but that's never after the first time they tell the story or before more research is done. Most major companies, my employer included, offer their employees the ability to discuss internal ethical concerns with a third party and remain anonymous throughout the investigation (including after a final decision is made). I think it's safe to say, that isn't an option for LU staff. And if the leaks aren't true, what emails would have been stolen, requiring the FBI's investigation? Raising the flag in that one seems, at best, premature.
2. I don't think anyone apart from Jr. or his role model would disagree.
3. I haven't heard this from my friends still there, so I'll leave that as it stands.
4. I keep seeing people give Jr. credit for his business acumen, but honestly, who knows? IIRC, the initial windfall that brought the school from the brink was a life insurance policy Dr. Falwell took out with the university as beneficiary. Even if Jerry is claiming responsibility for advising him to take it out, it's fairly common practice for business owners with a company work protecting, so any financial advisor worth his salt would have done the same. That allowed others to give without fear that their money was going into a black hole. And while I'll admit "interesting" business dealings happen every day, this article gives several, but who knows what else is out there? I can't close the book on that one.
5. I'll leave that in the category of not worth debating in this context.

I'm an alum whose family has given beyond that to the school over the years and I hope for nothing but the best. Jr. certainly isn't helping the situation and I hope someone with enough guts is already seeking a resolution. Even if it's not 💯 accurate, the board would be foolish to think these things won't keep coming up if Jr.'s still around now that he's dug his feet in.
By chris leedlelee
I couldn't agree with you more @House on fire . I deeply care about LU and understand its value (and want my degree to keep its value as well). Liberty is the foremost conservative Christian college in the nation, and could surely replace Jerry with a compotent and trustworthy figure. The question is, will something be done about Jerry. Is there a structure in place for accountability here? Is the board considering anything? Or do they even have the power to do anything?
By House on fire
Legally, I would have to imagine they have the ability unless things have changed. Dr. Falwell use to your the self-replacing board and TRBC's kill switch as the failsafes in place to keep LU distinctly Christian. And I'll readily admit the early boards were in a difficult position when the early signs could have been dealt with. They were close to Dr. Falwell and we're dealing with their own emotions and their friend's hand-picked successor. The question for me at this point is the willpower of the board and whether they are buying what Jr. is selling.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
No one at LU should respond to Reuters or any other minor league media organization, requests for comments. Reuters is probably just bored with the Democrats and needs something else to do, thus they pulled out their entrenching tool and are trying to dig up dirt on Liberty or JFjr.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Wow speechless. I would love to see how the Jr defenders spin this.

And Kevin was a good dude in my interactions with him. Jr sucks as a human being.

Edit: I finally had to foe Ballcoach. :roll: I get dumber every time he replies.
By Jonathan Carone
No one has bad things to say about Kevin or Hinkley. They've both done nothing but work incredibly hard for the school and defend Jerry publicly in many cases where they likely didn't even believe what they were saying. Then to see the things he says about them privately.

It's one thing to say things like that about people like me, but to do it against people who have given their lives to what he's building because they believed in his father's vision is repulsive.
By rtb72
Back to email property ownership: If you work for an institution and have made hard copies of emails during your tenure, but then leave and have no affiliation with the institution, but keep the hard copies that were originally sent to you....is the hard copy not your property (say you printed it after saving it on a personal computer)?
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
-Ronald Sones, then the dean of the engineering school, was “a bag of hot air” who “couldn’t spell the word ‘profit,’” Falwell wrote in 2011. Sones is no longer the dean and could not be reached for comment.
Ahh, but could Jr spell "prophet"? :lol:
By PAFlame
I don’t know how the Jr supporters can spin this one . He needs to resign, though he’s not gonna go without a fight and will probably get Trump to chime in.
By Jonathan Carone
First off - I'm glad the students are fighting back. Good for them.

A bigger impact would be had Saturday night. The school can shut down a protest with little reaction. They can't kick out the student section and no one notice.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]