This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Actually at the Institutions of Higher learning I attended the Student paper had criticisms of the schools often written and published. The funniest being when one school dropped out of the Top 10 Party School list. Something the Administration was very proud of, the Student newspaper.....not so much. Other times when a “controversial” speaker was on campus they gave space to rebuttals or dissent
So....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 26th, 2019, 11:21 am I wonder how much $$ he received for the article :?: :?:

I also wonder if the Washington Post would publish a negative article about itself. :lol: :lol:
That’s an Apples to Oranges comparison but now that you mention it the NYT did about its Trump election coverage
Who cares how much he got paid. Dude has to eat. Doing a job is not something I’m goin to criticize someone for. I’ll attack the message (or affirm it) but the messenger isn’t someone I’ll attack in this case. The bias is there and known.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 26th, 2019, 12:09 pm
TH Spangler wrote: July 26th, 2019, 11:21 am I wonder how much $$ he received for the article :?: :?:

I also wonder if the Washington Post would publish a negative article about itself. :lol: :lol:
That’s an Apples to Oranges comparison but now that you mention it the NYT did about its Trump election coverage
Who cares how much he got paid. Dude has to eat. Doing a job is not something I’m goin to criticize someone for. I’ll attack the message (or affirm it) but the messenger isn’t someone I’ll attack in this case. The bias is there and known.
I agree, get as much off the publisher as you can!! I just wonder if the Post pays "MORE" for certain types of negative content. :lol:
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Just to be clear, Amazon does not own WaPo. Jeff Bezos is majority shareholder of both.
He’s a majority owner of both so it’s definitely relevant.

But, if the low hanging fruit of Amazon isn’t enough, there are plenty of non-puff pieces about Bezos himself that WaPo puts out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 33a9ff29d3

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/arts-en ... -together/

https://beta.washingtonpost.com/technol ... azon-risk/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 309802a223
chris leedlelee wrote: July 26th, 2019, 10:02 am
jinxy wrote: July 25th, 2019, 10:43 pm I still cant get beyond the fact that people are shocked that schools censor their newspapers. That part is pure garbage to act like we are the only school that does that. Same with his last couple paragraghs on social issues, he drove any credibility straight off the cliff with those last few sections.

If he really wanted to change or cared about the school or mission you dont slip that last 3rd in. Besides its the same tired platform that has been printed over and over and over. They just change from the online school to the newspaper to jr personally.

Anybody thats reasonable knows some of that is true and some of it for good reason. If you really want to be a journalist then stick to the point rather than going off the grid like he did. Im good on these stories for awhile. Somebody needs some new material or something before ill read another.
I completely agree. Who in their right mind thinks that the school-sponsored newspaper will publish critical articles of itself. This obviously happens at every school. Sorry buddy, as a writer of the school-sponsored newspaper, your job is to put out puff pieces for the school in exchange for a seemingly prestigious extra-curricular activity. Your job is not to carry out "investigative journalism" of the school that sponsors your paper. I just feel like the kid had a conflated view of self-importance (as most journalists seem to do).
Apparently, the only school newspaper you've ever read is the Champion then if that's what you think all school newspapers are. Any school that actually cares about freedom of speech, academic integrity, their students, and their student newspaper will allow critical articles to be published so long as they aren't defaming or libelous.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The Champion should not publish negative article about LU or its leadership. Nor negative articles about President Trump. If such trash was allowed in Champion, it wouldn't be long before it became a liberal publication like 99.9% of newspapers today.
ballcoach15 wrote: July 28th, 2019, 7:14 am The Champion should not publish negative article about LU or its leadership. Nor negative articles about President Trump. If such trash was allowed in Champion, it wouldn't be long before it became a liberal publication like 99.9% of newspapers today.
So being critical is now anti-conservative? lol at this lunacy.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: July 28th, 2019, 8:21 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 28th, 2019, 7:14 am The Champion should not publish negative article about LU or its leadership. Nor negative articles about President Trump. If such trash was allowed in Champion, it wouldn't be long before it became a liberal publication like 99.9% of newspapers today.
So being critical is now anti-conservative? lol at this lunacy.
Well, the author...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
He is the resident grumpy old man, don't worry about it.

All newspapers, school run or not, go through editorial review of some sort. To say that doesn't happen, is disingenuous. But how many schools send articles to the school president, even occasionally, to the school president? I have a feeling LU is in the minority in that regard.
Should the LU Champion allow critical articles of Jerry and his support for Trump? That is up for debate. Personally, I understand that it is an LU sponsored publication and will, therefore, be whitewashed. Does this merit a cover story on the Washington Post's website? Imagine this being done for any other school but LU. Again, ulterior motives here. The motivation for criticism matters.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
A private school has the right to control the content in a newspaper it publishes. Censorship of The Champion is nothing new, and the best writers knew how to write around it.

I would be curious to hear Mrs. Huff's side of what was presented.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I don't think Liberty is in the wrong in how they handle the newspaper. I may handle it differently but that isn't my call. The Washington Post piece has more to do with their dislike for Jerry due to his association with Trump than anything else. If it weren't for that, nobody would care. I miss the old Jr that is for sure.
ATrain wrote: July 28th, 2019, 3:30 pm A private school has the right to control the content in a newspaper it publishes. Censorship of The Champion is nothing new, and the best writers knew how to write around it.

That’s never going to happen
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:A private school has the right to control the content in a newspaper it publishes. Censorship of The Champion is nothing new, and the best writers knew how to write around it.

I don't think anyone argues that they have a right to do it. They own it, LOL. I think the question goes along whether it's a good idea to do it to the extent they do it.

I know my preference would fall somewhere in the middle. I don't think it should be a free for all and being critical of the school and being critical of a politician, such as Trump, should be two completely different things.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Now that might be true yacht rock. The kid used an absurd base story to get attention then attached all his other dirty laundry to it later no.

I think for me personally its probably too far to sensor trump articles if they are well written and not straight hit pieces with no validation. However i would never see it fit that the champion would be allowed to print negative stories toward the school. That seems like a big duh.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
Board members are at least unhappy with things. Seems like that's different. I also now understand why proto always kinda brushes these things off :wink:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Even half of this article being accurate is enough for removal, in my opinion.

Nothing will change, at least not yet, but people at least talking about could get the ball moving sometime down the road.

I'd love for Jonathan to get involved somehow but I doubt that'll happen.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by So[…]