This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Just John
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: August 11th, 2020, 3:32 pm There is and has been a ton of profit in the market. Many different out of box ways to do it. Also who said your limited to this market. Jrs biggest strength is RE in my opinion.

Ive seen a lot of money made in swva in the last 5 years in RE. Tons. Just gotta know how to play the game and have enough liquidity to get in the game.

Carry on
Not to mention the location of his properties. Many are on Wards Rd near the university with some pretty big tenants.
jinxy liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 11th, 2020, 1:30 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 12:56 pm I wonder if anyone on this board is a disgruntled "former employee " of the university ?
Well we know you are certainly a boot licker so there’s that
I was taught at an early age, "don't bite the hands that feed you".

And also, don't "burn bridges", you may want to come back across them someday.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: August 11th, 2020, 3:45 pm
jinxy wrote: August 11th, 2020, 3:32 pm There is and has been a ton of profit in the market. Many different out of box ways to do it. Also who said your limited to this market. Jrs biggest strength is RE in my opinion.

Ive seen a lot of money made in swva in the last 5 years in RE. Tons. Just gotta know how to play the game and have enough liquidity to get in the game.

Carry on
Not to mention the location of his properties. Many are on Wards Rd near the university with some pretty big tenants.
Unless he has some elaborate she'll game going on, his holdings on Wards Rd are minimal according to the city GIS. If property is listed as an LU holding, it wouldn't be part of his net worth (like the mall properties and the plaza).
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
The bigger issue is what happens going forward?
Hopefully Jerry can get things straight! But even if he does get things straight in a short period of time...why put him in the same pressure filled position 6 months down the road? Imagine how that would look? Junior may be truly sorry and totally repentant and changed...but bringing him back so soon into the same position would make it look like things were being swept under the rug - even if it weren't the case. It would also be a PR disaster. And I don't think it would be fair to anyone involved. LU has named the interim. Next, the boaed should use this time to find the next president? As far as Jr, if he gets things straight and wants to come back to LU, bring him back as an advisor to the board.
He would still have all kinds of experience and input, and I'm sure he could still afford suites or lounge boxes for the games. And I'm hoping that there is true restoration.
flameshaw, cruzan_flame13, LUOrange and 1 others liked this
I'm encouraged at Dr. McFarland taking up the Chairman role. His daughter on Twitter called for us to pray for him "as he leads in a time of much-needed change." I love that mindset! I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. McFarland taking a greater role in the dismissal/hiring process than Jerry Prevo, but time will tell.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: August 11th, 2020, 10:07 am Lets step away from the morally problematic issues for a second and focus on his fiduciary responsibility as an officer of the university. He constantly lectured former board members and staffers on their fiduciary responsibilities when they allegedly spoke out against him, but nobody has really looked at him through that lens yet.

It seems to be well established Falwell engaged in self-dealing and nepotism and funneled money to his family and friends. He bought property from LBN in the 90s and flipped the parcels for a huge profit, sold Trey a house from university assets, gave Trey a shopping center management contract, hired family, hired friends, used the planes, sold his personal trainer the Sports Racquet with no money down, and then you have the CMA construction deal -- who knows how many tens of millions of dollars that one was worth.

If there was an investigation that calculated the grand total of how much university and ministry money he ‘reallocated’ is there a limit where someone would say this guy cannot be trusted with the university checkbook? If that amount was $10M is that enough to never bring him back or is that number $50M?
Then you need to ask yourself, whatever the number, how could those funds have helped advance the mission of the university rather than a personal agenda?

If he goes to therapy for whatever is ailing him, and brought back, how can the BOT ensure he is going to use LU’s coffers properly? This is an issue that needs extreme vetting.

I keep thinking about LU alumni with student debt, and wondering how much of that could be correlated back to Jr’s bad behavior. IE – could some tuition increases or fee increases been eliminated over the years if the school didn’t purchase expensive planes, $12M NASCAR sponsorship, and hiring multiple family members and friends? If I was stroking a student loan payment every month I would not be a happy camper.

One site I saw estimated Jr’s net worth around 100M. How does a university president become that wealthy if all he is collecting is a W2?

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/riche ... 0in%202007.
When he is adding 9 figures a year in retained income you dont sweat the small stuff. A mgt contract on a defunct mall--nobody else would even want?? A white elephant sports building--just find somebody to take it off your hands. Many companies seem to find NASCAR sponsorship worthwhile. It's just advertising.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:47 pm When he is adding 9 figures a year in retained income you dont sweat the small stuff.
Whether you agree with WhatistheTruth or not, statements like this are troubling. We're still talking about a Christian university, right?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
I would add that this supposed "9 figure retained earnings" is as solid as the fracking industry. It can be booking today and dead tomorrow and all the markers indicate that the school might soon struggle with their diploma mill offerings.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
hoop20 wrote: August 13th, 2020, 11:36 pm Here are some documents which show how the board operates, and that TRBC's board does have the power to remove trustees.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/tr ... pageNum=15

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ ... 162014.pdf
After several attempts, I have failed to locate a list of who is on the TRBC "Board of Directors", or for that matter, any indication that such a board even exists. I know they have a board of deacons, but I cannot seem to find out who is on it either.
badger74 wrote: August 12th, 2020, 10:47 pm
Whatisthetruth wrote: August 11th, 2020, 10:07 am Lets step away from the morally problematic issues for a second and focus on his fiduciary responsibility as an officer of the university. He constantly lectured former board members and staffers on their fiduciary responsibilities when they allegedly spoke out against him, but nobody has really looked at him through that lens yet.

It seems to be well established Falwell engaged in self-dealing and nepotism and funneled money to his family and friends. He bought property from LBN in the 90s and flipped the parcels for a huge profit, sold Trey a house from university assets, gave Trey a shopping center management contract, hired family, hired friends, used the planes, sold his personal trainer the Sports Racquet with no money down, and then you have the CMA construction deal -- who knows how many tens of millions of dollars that one was worth.

If there was an investigation that calculated the grand total of how much university and ministry money he ‘reallocated’ is there a limit where someone would say this guy cannot be trusted with the university checkbook? If that amount was $10M is that enough to never bring him back or is that number $50M?
Then you need to ask yourself, whatever the number, how could those funds have helped advance the mission of the university rather than a personal agenda?

If he goes to therapy for whatever is ailing him, and brought back, how can the BOT ensure he is going to use LU’s coffers properly? This is an issue that needs extreme vetting.

I keep thinking about LU alumni with student debt, and wondering how much of that could be correlated back to Jr’s bad behavior. IE – could some tuition increases or fee increases been eliminated over the years if the school didn’t purchase expensive planes, $12M NASCAR sponsorship, and hiring multiple family members and friends? If I was stroking a student loan payment every month I would not be a happy camper.

One site I saw estimated Jr’s net worth around 100M. How does a university president become that wealthy if all he is collecting is a W2?

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/riche ... 0in%202007.
When he is adding 9 figures a year in retained income you dont sweat the small stuff. A mgt contract on a defunct mall--nobody else would even want?? A white elephant sports building--just find somebody to take it off your hands. Many companies seem to find NASCAR sponsorship worthwhile. It's just advertising.
This is the kind of attitude that lets people get away with crime and unethical behavior left and right just because they bring in a bunch of money. How many powerful/famous people have we seen fall throughout the years because it was deemed that their indiscretions and crimes were acceptable because of what they brought to their company or industry?

Bill Cosby
Harvey Weinstein
Joe Paterno
Lance Armstrong
Richard Nixon
Jim Bakker
Phil Spector
Anthony Weiner
John Edwards
Tiger Woods
Ted Haggard
Michael Jackson
Mel Gibson
Rod Blagojevich
Bobby Fischer
Alexander Hamilton
Pee Wee Herman
OJ Simpson
Mike Tyson
Jerry Lee Lewis
Matt Lauer
Martha Stewart
Michael Vick
Paula Dean
Louis C.K.
Jared Fogle
Roseanne
R. Kelly
Sepp Blatter
Roman Polanski
Kevin Spacey
Roger Ailes
Bill O'Reilly
John Lasseter
Jeffrey Tambor
Mario Batali
Al Franken
James Gunn
Aaron Hernandez
Adrian Peterson
Ray Rice
Roger Clemons
Tonya Harding
Pete Rose

If everything is OK because there is a bunch of money, you lack a moral compass. You're enabling their behavior and encouraging them to push the envelope even more until they go too far and reach the point of no return.
JK37 liked this
By hoop20
olldflame wrote: August 14th, 2020, 8:14 am
hoop20 wrote: August 13th, 2020, 11:36 pm Here are some documents which show how the board operates, and that TRBC's board does have the power to remove trustees.

After several attempts, I have failed to locate a list of who is on the TRBC "Board of Directors", or for that matter, any indication that such a board even exists. I know they have a board of deacons, but I cannot seem to find out who is on it either.
Thanks, old flame. Maybe TRBC's executive team is considered the board of directors. It has 7 members.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
hoop20 wrote: August 14th, 2020, 12:05 pm
olldflame wrote: August 14th, 2020, 8:14 am

Thanks, old flame. Maybe TRBC's executive team is considered the board of directors. It has 7 members.
I have trouble believing that a group of church employees would have the authority to dismiss a university trustee. I feel pretty confident the document is actually referring to the board of deacons, which would normally consist of respected long-time church members nominated by the pastor and approved by a vote of the congregation (usually by acclamation). What is a bit scary is that it's highly likely a lot of those people would have no idea they hold that authority.
Just John liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
No.

TRBC has Deacons, don't know if it's true, but I was told they "haven't met" in about 3 years, maybe longer.

The college is an "arm of the church", not vice versa, as some in the church think. I don't know how many times I have heard the term, "this semester" used for church matter.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: August 14th, 2020, 9:54 am

If everything is OK because there is a bunch of money, you lack a moral compass. You're enabling their behavior and encouraging them to push the envelope even more until they go too far and reach the point of no return.
Let's also remember that Jerry himself doesn't bring in much money. The organization does. If Jerry was an effective money magnet, we would be seeing news stories about him generating multi-million dollar gifts to the school. The fact that Jerry doesn't care about donors at this point is simply a clear indicator that he is an ineffective leader. I would also argue that he is failing at developing a clear strategy for the continued cutting-edge position of liberty online as indicated by things such as the failure of the tag grant program.
And where does the acceptance of illegal and/or unethical/immoral behavior stop? Does he get to get away with more egregious stuff if he starts bringing in more money? Does he get to get away with less egregious stuff if he brings in less money?

So ask yourself this, when are you going to stop prostituting your morals and values for Jerry Jr. money?
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: August 14th, 2020, 4:03 pm Well Jerry sits on the TRBC board. The same board that’s supposed to hold him and Liberty accountable. What a joke.
How the heck does a church have a non-church member on it's board? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you have a list of the TRBC board, or location of the list?
Just John liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote: August 14th, 2020, 4:05 pm
ballah09 wrote: August 14th, 2020, 4:03 pm Well Jerry sits on the TRBC board. The same board that’s supposed to hold him and Liberty accountable. What a joke.
How the heck does a church have a non-church member on it's board? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Do you have a list of the TRBC board, or location of the list?
https://twitter.com/reachjulieroys/sta ... 48768?s=21
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I have supported the move by the BOT to remove Jr. However, I also believe there is quite a bit of reaching here to tie him to other issues that frankly, are nothing burgers.
Instead of a feeding frenzy, maybe we should direct that energy into praying for a successful time of rehab. Not sure if he will ever be fit to return, that is obviously up to the BOT. Piling on serves no purpose right now. IMHO. 8) 8)
LUOrange liked this
NMSU

Just by looking into some highlights. The two forw[…]

CUSA Tournament Las Cruces, NM

Liberty will play winner of New Mexico State-Jacks[…]

LSU

Liberty 3 LSU 1, final. Escobar complete game win.[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

It certainly feels ridiculous to see some of these[…]