This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Particularly in light of the fact that after years of investigation nearly everyone in Waco acknowledges that he did no such covering up. At worst he was guilty of not pursuing concerns vigilantly enough. He was a scapegoat with whom I feel better today about his hiring at LU than I did when it first occurred and the jury was still somewhat out on his culpability. He has done nothing but validate respect since he walked onto our campus.

And the reference was to an alleged smokescreen of using the buildings and athletics as a distraction from underlying issues that have now come into full light. It wasn't the fact that some random mom in Walmart who thought her baby was just being held back by coaches at the last school and was ready to blow away LU coaches. Athletic disappointments are easy to place accountability.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
puttincomputers wrote: November 5th, 2020, 1:20 am
rogers3 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:09 pm I now look through a lens that makes all of the great things that have happened in facilities and sports look more like Jerry's smokescreen.
Ah yes, I remember the years of disappointment when I was a student when LU would roar out to huge leads in every sport, only to typically allow the competition catch up and, if they were an average or good team, beat Liberty in the last few seconds. Many of the good games we had were mostly mirages. The football team would race out to huge lead, then play this horrible prevent defense that did nothing to prevent scoring and wide open receptions. The volleyball team, as above average as it supposedly was, would race out to early set wins, only to find themselves struggling to win at the end. Once in a blue moon, they would destroy the other team.

The men's basketball team was constantly hyped. But, it always failed to meet my expectations. Seth Curry was wise to transfer before I ever got there. (I went to his dad's high-school.)

I once met a transfer 5th-year red-shirt athlete's mom in Kroger. She talked up her student athlete child. Turns out, this young person had once been a decent player but had suffered some major injuries. That athlete rode the pine that year. That made me question the program's ability to properly vet incoming players.

Essentially, the sports teams were a mirage. Folks would see the team go up, the fans would leave early, and the team would come crashing back to earth. Only the Coastal and Richmond games ever seemed to keep everyone's interest. And that was because LU typically had to fight to stay in the game from the beginning.

I finally threw in the towel with LU sports after a certain AD with a sketchy history of covering up sex crimes was hired.
I used to read your posts with a high degree of skepticism. Now that I understand your frame of reference and how little history you have with LU athletics, I will now just read for the immense entertainment value. (You do have a point about a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory). Athletes mom? You can't make that stuff up. 8) 8)
cruzan_flame13 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: November 5th, 2020, 10:07 am Particularly in light of the fact that after years of investigation nearly everyone in Waco acknowledges that he did no such covering up. At worst he was guilty of not pursuing concerns vigilantly enough. He was a scapegoat with whom I feel better today about his hiring at LU than I did when it first occurred and the jury was still somewhat out on his culpability. He has done nothing but validate respect since he walked onto our campus.

And the reference was to an alleged smokescreen of using the buildings and athletics as a distraction from underlying issues that have now come into full light. It wasn't the fact that some random mom in Walmart who thought her baby was just being held back by coaches at the last school and was ready to blow away LU coaches. Athletic disappointments are easy to place accountability.
Agree about Ian. He’s done a great job and ALL feedback I’ve heard is super positive. He’s proven even his toughest skeptics wrong. Good for him!
By Jonathan Carone
I was one of those skeptics. It was never personal, but I wanted there to be more distance and more public acknowledgement of his lack of involvement. As that's come out, along with overwhelmingly positive feedback I've heard from every single person I know who has worked with him, and I feel 100% comfortable with it.
thepostman, Baybird, stokesjokes and 2 others liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 5th, 2020, 11:53 am I was one of those skeptics. It was never personal, but I wanted there to be more distance and more public acknowledgement of his lack of involvement. As that's come out, along with overwhelmingly positive feedback I've heard from every single person I know who has worked with him, and I feel 100% comfortable with it.

Sums up my thoughts pretty well.
By puttincomputers
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
I used to read your posts with a high degree of skepticism. Now that I understand your frame of reference and how little history you have with LU athletics, I will now just read for the immense entertainment value. (You do have a point about a history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory). Athletes mom? You can't make that stuff up. 8) 8)
Say, I just remembered there was a good team. The Baseball team! Several decent draft picks. I remember there was this one short guy who was a great player and a fan favorite. I can't remember his name at the moment.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
badger74 wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:16 pm Like him or not he made this all possible. Not as easy as it looks either.
I will call :BS on that. His dad did sooooooo much more to lay the foundation/future/possibilities, for the sports program. Jr. knows little to nothing about sports. However, one can give him some credit for listening to people who do know what they are talking about.
I am hoping that the new President of LU, knows how important a good sports program is to the University.
thepostman, Just John liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jerry is off his rocker as evidenced by his actions and that tweet is self serving. He made Liberty unique in the amount of ill will towards the school. Don't forget, he is on a wartime footing with the school.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:30 pm
badger74 wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:16 pm Like him or not he made this all possible. Not as easy as it looks either.
I will call :BS on that. His dad did sooooooo much more to lay the foundation/future/possibilities, for the sports program. Jr. knows little to nothing about sports. However, one can give him some credit for listening to people who do know what they are talking about.
I am hoping that the new President of LU, knows how important a good sports program is to the University.
Agreed. If it weren't for Sr then Jr wouldn't of cared about sports at all. It was Jerry Sr's vision.

Jr helped for sure but he has completely ruined his legacy and continues to dig his hole deeper.
Just John, rtb72 liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
A university, especially a Christian one, having a president with a fetish for watching someone in flagrante delicto with his wife, is indeed "unique". We can do with less unique from Jr.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: November 7th, 2020, 8:28 pm A university, especially a Christian one, having a president with a fetish for watching someone in flagrante delicto with his wife, is indeed "unique". We can do with less unique from Jr.
Hey boys, we have an Eye-talian poster on the board. Welcome my friend. Stick around and watch what happens next. 8) 8)
Just John liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The best way to transcend any focus on Jr.'s "Italian" behavior is this current football team. Jr.'s departure coincidentally coincides with the coinciding coincidence of the Willis arrival, coincidentally. Or maybe not. Perhaps divine intervention or possibly something else. Either way, we'll take it.
Last edited by paradox on November 8th, 2020, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I think he's gonna try and sabotage any good press and advances in academics unfortunately. Case in point the stupid tweets he made yesterday all under "university president".

If he can't run liberty then no one can mentality.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:35 pm The best way to transcend any focus on Jr.'s "Italian" behavior is this current football team. Jr.'s departure coincidentally coincides with the Willis arrival. Perhaps divine intervention or possibly something else. Either way, we'll take it.
I’m not sure you can do that to the English language.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: November 8th, 2020, 1:35 pm The best way to transcend any focus on Jr.'s "Italian" behavior is this current football team. Jr.'s departure coincidentally coincides with the Willis arrival. Perhaps divine intervention or possibly something else. Either way, we'll take it.
Willis has been at Liberty since January 2019.
badger74 liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It would be his arrival on the field. And, to phase it a different way--the football team right now is needed relief in light of everything that has taken place since August. It's a good thing--no need to take so many licks for Jr., when we have a ranked football team on the rise.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:30 pm
Visions are a dime a dozen. I took lots of cash and good hires to get this thing where it now sits. Who decided to ease out the former HC?? Somebody did that. He was not up to this level of program. BTW it's Latin https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in ... +(delicto)
Last edited by badger74 on November 8th, 2020, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Dr. Falwell was a big sports fan, not only LU sports, but other sports. I am surprised his love for sports wasn't passed down to Jerry jr and Jonathan.

On the post game radio show yesterday, someone said that if he was still with us, the first 15 minutes of today's sermon would be about the win over VT. I attended TRBC this morning, and never heard one word about the game.
By LUAlum1215
ballcoach15 wrote: November 8th, 2020, 8:54 pm Dr. Falwell was a big sports fan, not only LU sports, but other sports. I am surprised his love for sports wasn't passed down to Jerry jr and Jonathan.

On the post game radio show yesterday, someone said that if he was still with us, the first 15 minutes of today's sermon would be about the win over VT. I attended TRBC this morning, and never heard one word about the game.
Is that a bad thing? Please don't say yes.
Baybird liked this
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]