This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:43 pm Even with our best football attendance we were well short of capacity. Add in the folks that will be scared to come out and were probably looking at 15k at football games in a 25k stadium.
With all that's going on around the nation, if we get 15000 a game, that will be good.
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:10 pm
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 15th, 2020, 4:01 pm https://www.breitbart.com/radio/2020/07 ... -or-masks/

Good to know nobody is scared of the virus and there will be no masks or social distancing this Fall. I am sure if games are played opponents will not have an issue travelling to campus.

Oh, and the usual threat of a lawsuit. The only question is if he is still using the meanest lawyer in NY.
I’m with Junior on this one
100%.
If faculty and staff feel safe in the classroom with the precautions, I’m good with normal classes being held. I don’t like the threat to sue because that just screams Jerry trying to get in a pissing contest but hey, he is who he is.

As for sporting events, Bristol had 30,000 tickets available and sold about 2/3 of them. Hard to say what a Wednesday night race any other time would’ve pulled in, but this is well under 30% of even the smallest of races there. Given Nascar and church attendances recently, I’ll be shocked if we had more than 5000 non students at football games this fall.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 15th, 2020, 5:49 pm Thought about starting a new thread on this but since this has Jerry's name all over it, I figured I put it here.

Liberty University sues NY Times for defamation

On July 15, Liberty University filed suit against The New York Times, its reporter Elizabeth Williamson, and a photographer alleging defamation and other claims arising from their intentionally false reporting that, among other things, misrepresented that (a) Liberty University suffered a COVID-19 outbreak when it “re-open[ed]” its campus after spring break; (b) it had “nearly a dozen” students sick with COVID symptoms; and (c) it had ignored government guidelines in reopening. These intentionally false and defamatory claims were unmistakable and reflected in The New York Times’ headlines, including “Liberty Brings Back its Students, and Coronavirus, Too” and “A University Reopened, and Students Got Sick.”
I wonder if I can contribute to the NYT defense fund. I think Jerry blew all kinds of smoke when he was "outed" in the pool boy scandal but I haven't heard that it went anywhere.
By BlueBlood
I’m not convinced that campus will be as full as Jerry keeps saying. Both of my daughters know several kids who aren’t coming back - all directly related to the virus. None of them are necessarily scared of the virus, they (and their parents) just don’t want to pay full price for an on campus experience that might turn into online or be less open/vibrant than normal. There’s a little bit of embarrassment regarding Jerry Jr’s behavior/comments mixed in there too.

Who knows though. I guess there’s a chance that Jerry’s strong talk is appealing to young Trump-train conspiracy theorists and LU will gain new students from that.
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2020, 6:10 pm
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 15th, 2020, 4:01 pm https://www.breitbart.com/radio/2020/07 ... -or-masks/

Good to know nobody is scared of the virus and there will be no masks or social distancing this Fall. I am sure if games are played opponents will not have an issue travelling to campus.

Oh, and the usual threat of a lawsuit. The only question is if he is still using the meanest lawyer in NY.
I’m with Junior on this one
Some of my patients in the ICU might disagree with you. However, the political spin on this health crisis (from both sides) has proven to be extremely unhelpful in the fight to keep it under control. I think a leader with an impact on so many people in a medium-sized town stating he is going to do whatever he wants is rather irresponsible and fails to recognize the impact LU staff/students have on the greater community.
Some of the Doctors I deal with on a regular basis might disagree with you
But I do agree politics is driving this. As is avoiding lawsuits
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
The Governor's new workplace safety laws might put a tighter rein on Jerry's plans, and I don't think a lawsuit will change that, either. When a faculty member chooses to not deliver in person due to health issues (that they don't have to disclose) what can the employer say?
rogers3 wrote: July 16th, 2020, 11:43 am The Governor's new workplace safety laws might put a tighter rein on Jerry's plans, and I don't think a lawsuit will change that, either. When a faculty member chooses to not deliver in person due to health issues (that they don't have to disclose) what can the employer say?
Wow. I’m not sure either Junior or Ralph are gonna be in any Leadership textbooks in the future
BlueBlood wrote: July 16th, 2020, 8:23 am I’m not convinced that campus will be as full as Jerry keeps saying. Both of my daughters know several kids who aren’t coming back - all directly related to the virus. None of them are necessarily scared of the virus, they (and their parents) just don’t want to pay full price for an on campus experience that might turn into online or be less open/vibrant than normal. There’s a little bit of embarrassment regarding Jerry Jr’s behavior/comments mixed in there too.

Who knows though. I guess there’s a chance that Jerry’s strong talk is appealing to young Trump-train conspiracy theorists and LU will gain new students from that.
:lol: this is funny and ambiguous at the same time.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:May not say anything now, but remember it later
This would be the first time you haven’t just blurted out whatever first thing comes to your mind.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: July 17th, 2020, 9:30 am
ballcoach15 wrote:May not say anything now, but remember it later
This would be the first time you haven’t just blurted out whatever first thing comes to your mind.
He kinda did though.
I guess we all knew this was coming.

Indeed, Trump confidant Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University, said he would support Trump’s call to delay the election “until things are normal so people can walk in.” “If it takes a few more months, then so be it,” Falwell said in an interview, raising the prospect of limiting the president’s powers if the delay extends beyond his first term.

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2020/ ... delay.html
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 31st, 2020, 8:44 am I guess we all knew this was coming.

Indeed, Trump confidant Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University, said he would support Trump’s call to delay the election “until things are normal so people can walk in.” “If it takes a few more months, then so be it,” Falwell said in an interview, raising the prospect of limiting the president’s powers if the delay extends beyond his first term.

OMG! Did you hear, JFJR got out of bed this morning! :shock: :roll: :lol:
TH Spangler wrote: July 31st, 2020, 8:57 am
Whatisthetruth wrote: July 31st, 2020, 8:44 am I guess we all knew this was coming.

OMG! Did you hear, JFJR got out of bed this morning! :shock: :roll: :lol:
Did he ask Trump for permission? :D
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 31st, 2020, 9:10 am The hypocrisy of “schools should open and it’s safe to open everything” compared to “it’s not safe enough for an election” is astounding.
Just looking out for your vote. Lots of dems plan to mail it in. It's going to be a mess!!!!

It’s safe enough to open schools
It’s safe enough to vote in person in an election (we’ve done it. France has done it)
It’s safe enough to protest
It’s safe enough to go out to eat at a restaurant
The fact that Jr said what he said indicates he’s not bright enough to understand what Trump was up to or he’s not as clever as he thins and was trying to propagate what Trump was doing. I am ok when Trump is being Trump. It’s cringe when JR tries to be Trump
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]