This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By k9saber
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 19th, 2020, 2:20 pm
The Falkirk Center is a vanity project for Jerry, Jr. and Charlie Kirk and offers no scholarly value to students, faculty or alumni.
This statement from Carone...fact. One of the wisest comments ever dropped on this thread. Given the breakneck speed of leadership narcissism that was occurring, the long term sustainability of the FC was an impossibility.
By Tnobes
paradox wrote: December 18th, 2020, 10:43 am The Apostle tells Timothy that God does not give us the spirit of timidity, cowardice, fear. The literary imagery is one who flees battle.

Turning the other cheek is not about weakness, but strength. The strength that comes from God to overcome flawed passions like human revenge.

Different people have different callings. Some lean left, some lean right. Stay true to your calling and make the most of what God puts in your path. Be courageous, and avoid excess.
Nothing about Christianity leans left
Tnobes wrote: December 21st, 2020, 1:28 am
paradox wrote: December 18th, 2020, 10:43 am The Apostle tells Timothy that God does not give us the spirit of timidity, cowardice, fear. The literary imagery is one who flees battle.

Turning the other cheek is not about weakness, but strength. The strength that comes from God to overcome flawed passions like human revenge.

Different people have different callings. Some lean left, some lean right. Stay true to your calling and make the most of what God puts in your path. Be courageous, and avoid excess.
Nothing about Christianity leans left
Undeserved mercy and grace are admitedly appearing left leaning in my opinion. The issue is the Christian right gets painted as cold and unfeeling because they believe the individual is responsible for it, rather than legislating everyone into being merciful.

There is only one right in our Constitution that requires work from someone else.

Consider what that right is.

Consider what the consequences of refusing to provide that right for someone else.

Realise that consequence applies to anything that culture newly legislates as a right. (Education, healthcare, etc)
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Is there a moderator for this? If I wanted to debate the very deep flaws of Trump or the Evangelical movement (and the cesspool that it has left behind), I'd look elsewhere. This should be focused on one member of that cesspool (or two...Prevo fits).
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Apparently, there are some churches, particularly in southern states or border states, that may appear to lean that way. Or perhaps it's just the Jerry Jr. show that has clouded our vision. Who knows? And, I get that. But, it would make perfect sense to part ways with any fellowship that doesn't value compassion and charity.

Either way, if you're in a fellowship like that, it would probably be best to move on. Pray for them, and leave the judging part to God.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 8:41 am Is there a moderator for this? If I wanted to debate the very deep flaws of Trump or the Evangelical movement (and the cesspool that it has left behind), I'd look elsewhere. This should be focused on one member of that cesspool (or two...Prevo fits).
Well look who came out of the corner.... :D :)
By Tnobes
paradox wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 9:37 am Apparently, there are some churches, particularly in southern states or border states, that may appear to lean that way. Or perhaps it's just the Jerry Jr. show that has clouded our vision. Who knows? And, I get that. But, it would make perfect sense to part ways with any fellowship that doesn't value compassion and charity.

Either way, if you're in a fellowship like that, it would probably be best to move on. Pray for them, and leave the judging part to God.
You literally said leave the judging to God......after completely judging them.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 11:53 am
paradox wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 9:37 am Apparently, there are some churches, particularly in southern states or border states, that may appear to lean that way. Or perhaps it's just the Jerry Jr. show that has clouded our vision. Who knows? And, I get that. But, it would make perfect sense to part ways with any fellowship that doesn't value compassion and charity.

You literally said leave the judging to God......after completely judging them.

Really? How so?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Let's see where it's all headed as we are about to enter a post-Trump era. Will it be a mere political spin center or will it be a place of legitimate public engagement that counters the established radical certitudes of our day.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 6:17 pm

I don't know how to embed a tweet but SGA is calling for the end of the falkirk center. [Mod note: If you click edit, you can see what was changed.]

Hopefully this will lead to new leadership.
I'll trade you falkirk for Voodie? Deal? :lol:
By Whatisthetruth
Just John wrote: January 13th, 2021, 1:36 pm
Whatisthetruth wrote: January 13th, 2021, 9:43 am ‘I’d give [President Trump] another degree if I was still at LU,’ says former president Jerry Falwell Jr.

https://www.wsls.com/news/local/2021/01 ... llwell-jr/
Jr. tells four lies in five sentences. Something to be proud of I guess.
Just John,

Apparently you did not get the memo.

" I will say whatever I think whenever I want to say it. My comments are always appropriate for whatever happened"

https://newsadvance.com/news/local/falw ... 9ad96.html
Just John liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: January 13th, 2021, 9:43 am ‘I’d give [President Trump] another degree if I was still at LU,’ says former president Jerry Falwell Jr.

There are no lies there. Jerry Jr. is correct.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I know that I’m supposed to be outraged about Jerry Jr supporting Trump, but honestly, who is surprised?

Even though I get sick with his Trump worshipping, it is also true that the media are out to destroy and cancel the lives of anyone who supported/voted for Trump.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:59 pm I know that I’m supposed to be outraged about Jerry Jr supporting Trump, but honestly, who is surprised?

Even though I get sick with his Trump worshipping, it is also true that the media are out to destroy and cancel the lives of anyone who supported/voted for Trump.
They need a vaccine for TDS.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 13th, 2021, 7:33 pm

There are no lies there. Jerry Jr. is correct.
“I’d give him another degree if I was still at LU".
No lie there.

"He’s done nothing wrong but had an election stolen from him by thugs".
1. He has morally abused this country and the sacredness of it's democracy by gaslighting the country with #2.
2. Total BS. There was no "stolen election". Believing such is a conspiratorial fantasy requiring Democrats, Republicans, Trump-appointed judges in federal courts and in the SCOTUS to all be in on it.

"He said nothing to incite violence at that rally".
3. One doesn't have to specifically say "tear down the place" to incite violence. Simply yelling fire in a crowded theatre, falsely, isn't isn't specifically telling them to panic and trample one another trying to get out...but it's certainly the intent. Trump wanted mayhem. If he didn't, he would have asked for calm much earlier and wouldn't have resisted when implored to do so.

"And he fulfilled all his campaign promises as president".
4. This is more on Jr. than Trump because no president fulfills all their promise so it's a ridiculous claim. Some examples of promises not fulfilled:
a. "Build a wall" - 307 miles of a 1,984 mile long border.
b. "and Mexico will pay for it" - No.
c. "We will find them (undocumented immigrants" and get them all out". Obama deported more than Trump 3 years in
d. "We’re going to work with all of our students who are drowning in debt to take the pressure off these young people.” -
Yeah..."no". He tried to do the opposite.
e. “We will honor the American people with the truth, and nothing else.” - No additional comment necessary.
f. “We will build the roads, highways, bridges, tunnels, airports and the railways of tomorrow.” - No
g. “We’ve got to get rid of the $19 trillion in debt. … I could do it fairly quickly … over a period of eight years.” - Grew
faster than under any other president.
h. “We will end our chronic trade deficits.” - After years of trade wars with China they are stronger and we are weaker.
The trade deficit is bigger now than when Trump came into office.

"That almost never happened before.”
5. Ok, maybe a push instead of a lie. It has never happened before...and Trump didn't do it either.

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as f[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]