This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 14th, 2020, 11:37 am
Purple Haize wrote: December 14th, 2020, 11:33 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 14th, 2020, 10:31 am Falkirk needs to be shut down tomorrow and Prevo needs to be gone as well. Get that mess out of here.
I can actually see a benefit from something like the Falkirk center. But it needs to change its name at the very least
What benefit does a partisan think tank that spends millions of dollars on partisan lobbying and produces no academic material bring Liberty?

Did you read the article about the things they're doing? That has no place at Liberty.
My first thought is it gives LU students access to the Political World that they might want to work in. LU does also have a law school, great opportunity to take on Christian Causes for people unable to do so themselves.
If you’d read my post I said something “like” the Falkirk center. I didn’t endorse their current methodology. Some of which I probably agree with some I probably don’t
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Spending millions on this while at the same time cutting positions, most importantly positions within School of Divinity, isn't a good look and shows where our priorities lie as a so called Christian institution. That is my biggest issue.
rtb72, ATrain, Just John liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 14th, 2020, 11:49 am Spending millions on this while at the same time cutting positions, most importantly positions within School of Divinity, isn't a good look and shows where our priorities lie as a so called Christian institution. That is my biggest issue.
Now THAT is an excellent point

(I feel sick inside and self loathing for actually agreeing with you :D :D )
ATrain liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I always google an articles author. She's one of Brandon's buddies. Most everybody else has moved on I beleive. Possibly even Jr.

Here's to someone "like" Dr Voddie Baucham or Jonathan Falwell moving the school back inline with Doc vision. 🙏 Go Flames
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 14th, 2020, 12:05 pm
thepostman wrote: December 14th, 2020, 11:49 am Spending millions on this while at the same time cutting positions, most importantly positions within School of Divinity, isn't a good look and shows where our priorities lie as a so called Christian institution. That is my biggest issue.
Now THAT is an excellent point

(I feel sick inside and self loathing for actually agreeing with you :D :D )
Haha, you and I probably agree more than disagree to be honest.

Our school of government has enough connections within the poltical world that the money being spent by the Falkirk center isn't necessary. Making sure we have a strong school of Divinity seems like it should be a top priority for a Christian University.
By gerb
We'll at least they have candlelight yoga now in the School of Divinity. Nothing like a dabbling in a little Hinduism before Old Testament Survey.
By Jonathan Carone
We don't need Falkirk because we've already got a School of Government doing the things a "think tank" would be doing:

n less than a month, articles from the Liberty University Helms School of Government’s first peer-reviewed Journal of Statesmanship & Public Policy have garnered nearly 700 downloads and have been read throughout the United States, Europe, and around the globe.

The online exclusive contains nine research articles exploring topics such as capitalism and biblical ethics, biblical principles of government and criminal justice, the quest for stability in the Middle East, and more. It also features two book reviews and an analysis article.
Source

Also - the Center for Law & Government already gives students the opportunity to get into politics without the stench of Charlie Kirk and that ilk.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Things will change once they lose their tax exemption which I'm surprised it hasn't yet.

Can be a mixture of Baylor and GCU. A for profit, scandalishious university with a sprinkle of christianity in it.
By chris leedlelee
Honestly, I see the need for the Falkirk Center, if it can become an institution similar to the Hoover Institution as Stanford. Christians and conservatives in academia are scandalously underrepresented, and that needs to change if there is to be any hope for our nation. It simply needs to be more focused on scholarly research and the like. Also, please change the name for heaven's sake.
Last edited by chris leedlelee on December 14th, 2020, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haize liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I agree in general. As far as the School of Divinity is concerned, funding of positions for specific departments is primarily allocated according to student enrollment, and that is way down compared with the school's earlier history. That is sad IMHO, but true. I would hope efforts would be made to attract more Divinity students, but if that is not successful, it's hard to justify not downsizing.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:26 pm Things will change once they lose their tax exemption which I'm surprised it hasn't yet.

Can be a mixture of Baylor and GCU. A for profit, scandalishious university with a sprinkle of christianity in it.
Uuuuhhhh........... Baylor and GCU are both non-profit.
By Jonathan Carone
olldflame wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:31 pm
I agree in general. As far as the School of Divinity is concerned, funding of positions for specific departments is primarily allocated according to student enrollment, and that is way down compared with the school's earlier history. That is sad IMHO, but true. I would hope efforts would be made to attract more Divinity students, but if that is not successful, it's hard to justify not downsizing.
You also get the students you attract. When you're pushing what Jerry has been pushing, of course you'd get a bunch of conservative business minded kids. Our reputation has not been as one who trains divinity students well (comparatively to other such schools).
By Jonathan Carone
chris leedlelee wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:31 pm Honestly, I see the need for the Falkirk Center, if it can become an institution similar to the Hoover Institution as Stanford. Christians and conservatives in academia are scandalously underrepresented, and that needs to change if there is to be any hope for our nation. It simply needs to be more focused on scholarly research and the like. Also, please change the name for heaven's sake.
We're already doing it! It's just not as flashy or as incendiary as Jerry and Kirk would've wanted it to be.
By chris leedlelee
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:53 pm
chris leedlelee wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:31 pm Honestly, I see the need for the Falkirk Center, if it can become an institution similar to the Hoover Institution as Stanford. Christians and conservatives in academia are scandalously underrepresented, and that needs to change if there is to be any hope for our nation. It simply needs to be more focused on scholarly research and the like. Also, please change the name for heaven's sake.
We're already doing it! It's just not as flashy or as incendiary as Jerry and Kirk would've wanted it to be.
I don't think most fair minded people want an incendiary institution, but also, wish for a centralized institution focused on religious and conservative thought. We don't need to blow up what can be carved into a very reputable institution with respected fellowships and regular publications of academic literature. I know we do some of this already, but this would merely be a more formal, centralized, and financially bolstered institution. America and academia desperately need strong, proper institutions at the moment.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:40 pm GCU was denied trying to go non profit. I know Baylor is I just made of joke how they went through a crap load of scandals for being a so call christian university.
They were granted non-profit status in 2018. I remember this because there was a huge marketing stink about Liberty claiming to the be world's largest private Christian university. That title now belongs to GCU.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Kolzilla41 wrote: December 15th, 2020, 9:17 pm
ballah09 wrote: December 14th, 2020, 1:40 pm GCU was denied trying to go non profit. I know Baylor is I just made of joke how they went through a crap load of scandals for being a so call christian university.
They were granted non-profit status in 2018. I remember this because there was a huge marketing stink about Liberty claiming to the be world's largest private Christian university. That title now belongs to GCU.
The U.S. Department of Education will continue to treat Grand Canyon University like a for-profit entity because the school benefits a for-profit company and has significant overlap with that company, the department explained Tuesday.

The department's strongly-worded letter denying nonprofit status to the school calls into question whether the school operates mostly for the benefit of shareholders of a for-profit company. GCU is a "captive client" of that company, according to the department.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 177203002/
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: December 14th, 2020, 2:51 pm But Falkirk isn’t academic, that’s one of the issues. It would be easier to either start from scratch to have a legitimate academic institute or work through what we already have in the school of government than to try to contort the Falkirk Center into something that it isn’t.
Indeed! When you have clowns like Seb Gorka and Jenna Ellis, the lawyer currently embarrassing herself along with Giuliani in the post election mess, you shouldn't be taken serious. Charlie Kirk is not much better. If you are going to do this, do it right. Change the name. Hire QUALITY individuals who will be respected. The Hoover Institute at Stanford is an excellent example.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:06 pm Oh the humanity! How dare Liberty uphold Judeo-Christian values. They even defend the Western tradition. Imagine that. They have strayed so far from their original intention. So sad. I feel for ya bruh. I really really do.
Does Falkirk actually do that?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]