This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ok. Read the article and.....I see nothing refuting the articles. In fact it sounds like it was written by one of the posters on this board when it got to this paragraph:

“Of course not. That little nugget seemed highly specious from the get-go. In smartphone picture, how the heck could the source discern it was a French maid’s outfit, anyway? It could have been a Belgian maid’s costume, or the uniform for a Danish maid. You can’t tell it’s French on one of those little screens. Jeesh”

Not exactly iron clad logic there but a strangely familiar theme. Playing those silly word games I can believe a picture of Becki in a maids outfit WAS sent but the nationality of said outfit is what is in question
Also, to continue in the word parsing theme the author says to not believe ALL the gossip. So he is obviously saying SOME or possibly MOST of the gossip is true. Just not all of it. See? We have to learn to read carefully
Finally none of it addresses the real issue of why the article was written and that was the claim of a culture of fear and intimidation used to run LU
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 17th, 2019, 9:32 am https://www.roanoke.com/news/casey-don- ... f68c4.html
Count me in the number who believe the hoopla over JR's dastardly deeds is overblown, but my reaction to that article was somewhere between laughter and nausea. Look no further than the first paragraph, where he gives his reason for "rising to Jerry's defense" as the fact that he has his cellphone # and JR picks up his calls. Reading on, his arguments against the accusations are basically "He's a Christian, so he would never do that", and the "fact" that because JR and Becki have been married a long time, they couldn't possible have a spicy love life. Oh yeah, he also says the Politico piece has no credibility because the writer is a Liberty grad and LU will "accept just about anyone with a pulse". I could go on. Read it if you want to have a good laugh (or maybe if you have a need to "purge".)
Last edited by olldflame on September 17th, 2019, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Class of 20Something
That article was awful. There was a gratuitous lack of content. It literally added nothing to the conversation except an opinion and lazy reasoning like, Jerry is a Christian and Christians shouldn't do that, so Jerry didn't do that.

I'm about to make my signature on here, "Jerry has enacted a culture of fear” just as a reminder to get back to the only topic that really matters.

The business deals are business deals.
He brags about his bedroom life? Yeah, anyone that’s worked in a hard labor industry has heard that locker room talk, though typically from trashier people.
The champion got censored? Meh it’s controlled by the school. Again not surprised.

Board members and staff are afraid to speak against Jr for fear of reprisal. That’s a real issue.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 17th, 2019, 9:56 am Ok. Read the article and.....I see nothing refuting the articles. In fact it sounds like it was written by one of the posters on this board when it got to this paragraph:

“Of course not. That little nugget seemed highly specious from the get-go. In smartphone picture, how the heck could the source discern it was a French maid’s outfit, anyway? It could have been a Belgian maid’s costume, or the uniform for a Danish maid. You can’t tell it’s French on one of those little screens. Jeesh”

Not exactly iron clad logic there but a strangely familiar theme. Playing those silly word games I can believe a picture of Becki in a maids outfit WAS sent but the nationality of said outfit is what is in question
Also, to continue in the word parsing theme the author says to not believe ALL the gossip. So he is obviously saying SOME or possibly MOST of the gossip is true. Just not all of it. See? We have to learn to read carefully
Finally none of it addresses the real issue of why the article was written and that was the claim of a culture of fear and intimidation used to run LU
Agreed completely. I don't know why that aspect is always completely ignored. I guess because it is the hardest to defend?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: September 17th, 2019, 10:29 am
microheart wrote: September 17th, 2019, 10:22 am Based on what I've been able to find about the author and his past works, that article is assuredly satire.
Poe’s Law at work? I’ve been had. I am outraged!

Welcome to the board.
Actually it would be ballcoach who was ‘had’ since he recommended it as exculpatory reading of Junior
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 17th, 2019, 11:17 am
microheart wrote: September 17th, 2019, 10:22 am Based on what I've been able to find about the author and his past works, that article is assuredly satire.

Welcome to the board.
Actually it would be ballcoach who was ‘had’ since he recommended it as exculpatory reading of Junior
I'm embarrassed for anyone who lent credence to Casey's piece. It was one of his weaker stabs at satire. He hates liberty and Jerry.

Ballcoach gets a pass because he doesn't understand satire or why it is used; all others...shame!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: September 17th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Ballcoach gets a pass because he doesn't understand satire or why it is used; all others...shame!
Bless Ballcoach's heart
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Dan Casey is Roanoke’s village bozo and staunch defender of all things Democrat. The article is clearly satire.

And if he ever got anything right, it would probably be for the wrong reason.

Saying that Democrat Dan “hates” Liberty would actually be quite an understatement.
rogers3 wrote: I'm embarrassed for anyone who lent credence to Casey's piece. It was one of his weaker stabs at satire. He hates liberty and Jerry.

The alarm bells were going off from critical thinking, they just didn't sound for satire.

Poe's Law is relevant. Without notation of satire, nothing can be made so extreme it is decipherable from actual opinions.

Example A: Makarov.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: September 17th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 17th, 2019, 11:17 am

Welcome to the board.
I'm embarrassed for anyone who lent credence to Casey's piece. It was one of his weaker stabs at satire. He hates liberty and Jerry.

Here’s the thing though. I have never heard of the author. And it did sound pretty darn close to the arguments Makarov was making the other night. So while I was taken in, I feel I should get a little dispensation
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Just read the article. Don't add or subtract from it.

The part I liked the most was Jerry is the only college president whose phone number is in Casey's cellphone. That says something.

Jerry is also the only college president who I have a photo with.
ballcoach15 wrote: September 17th, 2019, 6:11 pm Just read the article. Don't add or subtract from it.

The part I liked the most was Jerry is the only college president whose phone number is in Casey's cellphone. That says something.

It says you don’t understand context, satire, or the world you live in anymore.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
These are the kinds of reasons I thought ballcoach was just a troll but he is real. For better or for worse.

I feel kind of silly falling for this writers poor attempt at satire. It is kind of sad that it doesn't seem like a stretch that this was real.

I wish we could go back to being mocked for being Christians and not for this kind of craziness.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 17th, 2019, 6:11 pm Just read the article. Don't add or subtract from it.

What exactly does it say?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 17th, 2019, 10:46 pm

What exactly does it say?
Read it. Study
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]