This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: December 16th, 2020, 10:06 pm
paradox wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:06 pm Oh the humanity! How dare Liberty uphold Judeo-Christian values. They even defend the Western tradition. Imagine that. They have strayed so far from their original intention. So sad. I feel for ya bruh. I really really do.
Does Falkirk actually do that?
They're really good at spreading disinformation and conspiracy theories, it's an absolute embarrassment.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
bluedevilflame wrote: December 17th, 2020, 9:28 am
paradox wrote: December 16th, 2020, 3:06 pm Oh the humanity! How dare Liberty uphold Judeo-Christian values. They even defend the Western tradition. Imagine that. They have strayed so far from their original intention. So sad. I feel for ya bruh. I really really do.
They're really good at spreading disinformation and conspiracy theories, it's an absolute embarrassment.
Sounds like you're talking about msnbc and cnn :lol:
chris leedlelee liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
As if there can be only one perspective shared by all. And nothing tolerated outside of pre-approved consensus thinking. If that's your thing, then do your thing. But that's not for everyone.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: December 17th, 2020, 1:28 pm
bluedevilflame wrote: December 17th, 2020, 9:28 am
Sounds like you're talking about msnbc and cnn :lol:
Maybe Falkirk, CNN, and MSNBC ALL do it :wink:
bluedevilflame liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The distinction would be between out and out deception with an agenda to control versus a response that is sometimes an overreaction. Excess is never good and should be avoided. But the answer is never timidity or servility. On the contrary, we should avoid all excess, stay focused, and fight the fight for truth.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
You obviously don't understand what's being said here. There's no reason to repeat what's been stated multiple times. This was a call to commit to a struggle for the truth, and has nothing to do with committing to an ideology. That's why you can't see beyond it.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Exactly. And we should never ever ever oppose the left. First, because they don't really exist, and second because it's not very nice. And we should not only be nice, but very nice. Ideally, very very nice.

Now, there are exceptions, and we'd really have to ask someone like Swallow Prior to help us out here. Maybe, give Beth Moore a holler. It may have not been very nice to condemn a brother for "heaping coals of shame." But again, there are exceptions, and her first name is...Karen. We should listen to the Karens. They know when to be nice and when to be not nice.

Now, onward, Hugh Freeze Power Thread!
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’ve been listening/reading all this with intrigue. Seems the common thread is the extremes assumed of one side by the other.

There can be a time for timidity. Jesus Christ even went so far as to call it turning the other cheek - a concept even more unthinkable to His audience then as it still seems today.

Why ruin our testimony for Christ under the guise of “fighting” for His truth? We can’t change the hearts and minds of men; that’s the Holy Spirit’s job. We too often just get in the way. I doubt very seriously that being used as the Lord’s vessel for truth involves as much “fighting” as we employ.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
The Apostle tells Timothy that God does not give us the spirit of timidity, cowardice, fear. The literary imagery is one who flees battle.

Turning the other cheek is not about weakness, but strength. The strength that comes from God to overcome flawed passions like human revenge.

Different people have different callings. Some lean left, some lean right. Stay true to your calling and make the most of what God puts in your path. Be courageous, and avoid excess.
By Jonathan Carone
You can stand up for things without being inflammatory, demeaning, or rude. Just because "they" act that way is no reason for us to do the same thing. Absolutely stand up for your beliefs, but don't lose your witness in the process. What will make us different is how we speak truth in a way that is pointing towards something, calling people to something more. We can do that without making fun of or degrading those who believe opposite us.
ATrain, thepostman, JK37 liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Matthew 10:16 (NLT)

“Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves."

We are in a hostile world. We need to be wise to what is going on around us. We shouldn't be timid. God has told us He hasn't given us a spirit of fear. At the same time, our motives and our actions on how we navigate in this hostile world should be pure and innocent. That's the "dove" part.

We aren't going to insult many people into changing their minds. And Falkirk, with a "healthy" dose of disinformation and weak representatives are neither doves nor serpents.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: December 18th, 2020, 2:28 pm Blatant and intentional deception is completely different from the allegation of it or the mere perception of it.
So, do you work for Falkirk? You seem to staunchly defend it if I read you right.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
I just can't get on board with condemning everybody over there. I may only agree with less than half of what they're about right now. But it has potential. There's definitely something to work with there. Name change would be good too. That's really all it is.
chris leedlelee liked this
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: December 18th, 2020, 8:55 pm I just can't get on board with condemning everybody over there. I may only agree with less than half of what they're about right now. But it has potential. There's definitely something to work with there. Name change would be good too. That's really all it is.
I agree, it has potential. Change the name and get a whole new roster of legit scholars to do legit work instead of cheerleaders and grifters. Seb Gorka? Seriously?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It would seem that the better scholars would be at Stanford and Pepperdine right now. Not so sure that Liberty is even a landing spot for scholars. It would be welcome, but seems unlikely. That doesn't mean that there can't be something here that can be a positive influence--while defending Judeo-Christian values.
By Jonathan Carone
If you read the release about the Center for Law & Government, it has a charter to do the things everyone here is asking for. They’ve done everything from hosting debates to bringing students to DC a couple times each year to meet public officials, media personalities, and other policy influencers in Washington. All their events are non-partisan. The student symposia in DC have had speakers from both parties. We have also participated jointly with Hampton University over the past two years, allowing them to invite speakers they would like to hear from and exposing our students to perspectives they won't encounter in the Liberty bubble.

This year, the Journal for Statesmanship and Public Policy is holding a virtual conference for LU students, faculty and alumni to submit and present scholarship, and host panels for discussion on political and cultural issues.

The Center for Law & Government and the Journal for Statesmanship and Public Policy are both hosted in our School of Government. The Falkirk Center is a vanity project for Jerry, Jr. and Charlie Kirk and offers no scholarly value to students, faculty or alumni.

The School of Government has the charter and the track record, and rather than investing is a vanity project that wouldn't know what non-partisan meant if you hit them in the face with the dictionary opened to the definition, we should continue to invest in something substantive that we are already doing.
rmiller1959, chris leedlelee, TallyW and 3 others liked this
By chris leedlelee
paradox wrote: December 18th, 2020, 8:55 pm I just can't get on board with condemning everybody over there. I may only agree with less than half of what they're about right now. But it has potential. There's definitely something to work with there. Name change would be good too. That's really all it is.
I feel as if this is basically the median opinion on here.
stokesjokes liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]