This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
And people think that this has to do with one racially insensitive tweet.

I have no idea if that is true or not but it lines up with what we kind of know about Jerry's leadership style.

It may be time for him to go have a talk with the football team before things get out or hand.
ATrain liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 3:45 pm And people think that this has to do with one racially insensitive tweet.

I have no idea if that is true or not but it lines up with what we kind of know about Jerry's leadership style.

It may be time for him to go take a walk before things get out or hand.
FIFY
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I really think Jerry Jr. would be so much more effective behind the scenes. He could remain president, and all he would have to do is tweet something like, "In addition to the blackface mask tweet for which I have apologized, I've come to realize that when I share my political opinions...even though they are my own opinions, people often view them as official university positions. Since this is the case, from this point forward I will not post my personal political positions on social media, and I will decline all interviews except those which directly involve Liberty University."

He could continue to help select convo and graduation guests. He could continue to work on campus improvements. He could speak at graduation. All of that...but he shouldn't keep going on news network shows to share his personal political views. He says they are his personal opinions, but they always introduce him as president of Liberty University. Jerry Jr. could accomplish just as much if not more if he didn't tweet and didn't go on the Todd Stares show or Hannity. He could still have Hannity come for convo if he wanted. Just stop going on those shows.

It is truly amazing what he has done for the school. The campus is beautiful. Our sports programs are doing amazing.

But the bottom line is when he shares his personal political opinions, it reflects on and affects the entire school, and even to some extent, the alumni.

Look, I have personal political opinions. I sometimes share them on twitter, but very rarely anymore.
And almost never on Facebook.

Because I'm the pastor of a church, I don't want to be any kind of stumbling block towards someone coming because they don't agree with my political views.

If I'm sitting in someone's private home and they ask me...I will share what I think. I also have one small campaign sign in my yard for one candidate that I personally know and have met. But I don't speak about that unless asked. And I don't share those opinions with the media or rarely on Facebook. Maybe like 2 times a year.

Jr. tries to get away from responsibility by saying, he's not a pastor. But he's president of a Christian university. He has the same responsibility.

And the thing is, often I can agree with some things. There's such a double standard in the media. I get it. But that's not an excuse to shirk one's responsibility.

I hate even writing this because I do appreciate all he has done for the school. I already have my season tickets for football. I hope they are able to play. I would still recommend LU as a great school. It's just frustrating.
rogers3, jinxy, FLAMEfromBAMA and 3 others liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Apparently the reporter who wrote that article was bored and needed something to do. 90% of that article was "old news" . If all those problems existed at Liberty, why did it take an individual getting killed in Minnesota, to bring them out. Based of that disgruntled employee's ex-job title, it appears to me, he wasn't doing a very good job. Probably should have been let go long before now.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I have higher expectations for the leader of the school I hold a degree from than the governor of the state I don't even live in. That is why I care more.

Of course the meida is going to be the media in politicize it making it difficult for people who have real problems with Jerry's leadership be heard. Of course this goes much deeper than this dumb tweet for me. I wish it wasn't what was the focus of so much media scrutiny was on.
Just John liked this
https://www.wfxrtv.com/news/local-news/ ... s-article/

I have been saying the N&A is a liberal rag for years.

But Scott Lamb must be a 'have to hire' because any communications director that believes any media outlet will simply parrot what the interviewee wants doesn't know how things work. I also don't think it is a good look for a university to throw around the fake news label. You don't see that from Regent, or Grand Canyon. Of course Jr said Grand Canyon is not a real Christian school so perhaps that is a poor comparison.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Carroll released this statement to Liberty University on Friday: “I read the article which came out in The News and Advance publication and wanted to set the record straight. At no time did I say that the African American and ethnic minority enrollment at Liberty was down by choice or on purpose. This is not what I said and it’s very irresponsible for someone to report this. I was asked if I believed it was done on purpose, to which I responded, ‘I don’t believe that nor could I answer that. You would have to work there to make such claim.’”
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 27th, 2020, 12:29 pm Carroll released this statement to Liberty University on Friday: “I read the article which came out in The News and Advance publication and wanted to set the record straight. At no time did I say that the African American and ethnic minority enrollment at Liberty was down by choice or on purpose. This is not what I said and it’s very irresponsible for someone to report this. I was asked if I believed it was done on purpose, to which I responded, ‘I don’t believe that nor could I answer that. You would have to work there to make such claim.’”
Funny, that is exactly counter to what he said in the recording. CYA!
rogers3 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 7:33 am
TH Spangler wrote: June 27th, 2020, 12:29 pm Carroll released this statement to Liberty University on Friday: “I read the article which came out in The News and Advance publication and wanted to set the record straight. At no time did I say that the African American and ethnic minority enrollment at Liberty was down by choice or on purpose. This is not what I said and it’s very irresponsible for someone to report this. I was asked if I believed it was done on purpose, to which I responded, ‘I don’t believe that nor could I answer that. You would have to work there to make such claim.’”
Funny, that is exactly counter to what he said in the recording. CYA!

At some point a real discussion addressing if this drama is worth keeping a president that inherited his job must be had. The last three to four years have been a continual embarrassment for the institution and stakeholders all because of one person!

The university makes money hand over fist. Finding a new leader that actually believes the mission is to advance the kingdom, and one that could successfully guide the school would not be difficult to find. Can anyone name something positive only Jr can do? Questionable relationships with personal trainers, pool boys, and CIO's who get paid in bags of cash do not count!
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Whatisthetruth wrote: June 28th, 2020, 8:52 am Can anyone name something positive only Jr can do?
Our facilities, athletics, and overall financial strength. I have tons of issues with JR, but at least I'm not led by blind hatred like you appear to be.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I may think that Jerry should not be the face of the university. That person must lead all areas of the university, including spiritual life, and he has said it himself he doesn't focus on that.

With that said, his business prowess has brought financial growth that very few people could have accomplished. Taking that away from him isn't a fair criticism in my opinion.
jbock13 liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I disagree with his business prowess. Only because business prowess includes things like public relations, etc. Being a good business person goes beyond facilities. It reaches into how you deal with your community. Your employees. Being good at business is much more holistic than what Jr represents. Which is why he shouldn’t be the leader of the university.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I disagree, look at Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk or many others. A lot of these rich and successful businessmen aren't the most likable people in the world but they are certainly great businessmen.

Edit: It takes more than just being a good businessman to lead a Christian University as financial stability shouldn't be the main priority.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Both have been very successful. Financial success and growth isn’t the only measurement.

I can get into the weeds with both. But if you look at Tesla’s financials, you might have something different to say about Musk. He’s good at pushing innovation. That’s for sure. I wouldn’t call Musk a great businessman though.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Well he has made himself a lot of money.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jerry's other flaws disqualify him from his role but he is a good businessman and had been laying the foundation years before he took over the position prematurely.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]