This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm I've noticed Jerry making a renewed effort with the student body. It is certainly smart of him to do so.
I applaud Jr. making a renewed effort with the students (if that is happening, I have no first-hand information on that). However, this thing goes waaaay beyond the student body, IMHO. I have pretty much always been a Jr. supporter and will give him the benefit of the doubt on most things. I see his relationship with The Trumpster as a positive. I am a Yuuuuuuuge Trump supporter. However, there are some things that Jr. needs to work on, if we want LU to remain distinctively Christian. I pray for him and LU every day and hope nothing but the best for both.
FWIW, not a Nassar fan at all. Never have been, never will be. Big hat, no cattle.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Charlie Kirk needs to spend some time in the organization. I don't think he is thoroughly accurate in his portrayal of Jerry, though he apparently thinks he is. Well the honorary doctorate...quid pro quo?
By ElmersTwin
thepostman wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 12:29 pm I listened to this podcast on the way to work this morning. It was certainly an interesting listen and one I thought was fair. They didn't spend time throwing Jerry under the bus or talking down about his political views, but instead spoke of the concerns many of us have shared on here.

https://julieroys.com/podcast/are-alleg ... l-jr-true/

Here is the synopsis:
Liberty University president, Jerry Falwell Junior, is in hot water after several exposes charging him with nurturing a culture of fear and self-dealing at the evangelical school. But the charges against him were mainly made by anonymous sources. This week on The Roys Report, a former dean at Liberty University who’s never before spoken to the press will join me to discuss the allegations. And he’ll be going on the record, as opposed to remaining anonymous. What’s true and what’s not? I really hope you can join us for The Roys Report, this Saturday morning at 11 on AM 1160 Hope for Your Life and on Sunday night at 7 on AM 560 The Answer!
Thanks for posting this. I just listened to it and thought it was accurate as well. I had Dr. Melton in undergrad (twice) and he was a solid, even-keeled professor. I know around that time several professors in that respective department were pretty wary of getting nixed or moved solely to LUO, so it's interesting to hear some of the behind the scenes of what was going on at that time. Well worth the listen.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
That’s like the 5th tweet that the school retweeted or shared this week of Charlie Kirk. You can tell there is no propaganda at all in fact it makes the school and Jr look bad.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:36 pm Charlie Kirk needs to spend some time in the organization. I don't think he is thoroughly accurate in his portrayal of Jerry, though he apparently thinks he is. Well the honorary doctorate...quid pro quo?
This has nothing to do with Junior but Charlie Kirk is well known and chided constantly on Twitter for making a number of statements with absolutely nothing to back them up. Charlie Kirk is not someone you would want to be beating the drum for you to bring added credibility IMO.
Last edited by Just John on September 23rd, 2019, 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 6:33 pm
thepostman wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm I've noticed Jerry making a renewed effort with the student body. It is certainly smart of him to do so.
I applaud Jr. making a renewed effort with the students (if that is happening, I have no first-hand information on that). However, this thing goes waaaay beyond the student body, IMHO. I have pretty much always been a Jr. supporter and will give him the benefit of the doubt on most things. I see his relationship with The Trumpster as a positive. I am a Yuuuuuuuge Trump supporter. However, there are some things that Jr. needs to work on, if we want LU to remain distinctively Christian. I pray for him and LU every day and hope nothing but the best for both.
FWIW, not a Nassar fan at all. Never have been, never will be. Big hat, no cattle.
And a salary I was pretty amazed to see.

I too share your concerns on Nasser.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
The salaries of quite a few people in the Administration are surprising, especially since a fair number of these folks would not be considered qualified outside of the "bubble."
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I don't have time to post much, need to get back to the hospital and set with a relative. I listened to about half of this. If you buy into what they're spinning you need some more real world experience. I worked for three major corporations and everyone of them had a so called "bubble'. Actually it's a team. The team is measured by it's success. Regardless whether it's the top or a mid level employee group. The host acknowledge Liberty is very successful. At all three of the companies I worked for there were always some folks that for one reason or another didn't fit the team. If they had any potential they usually move on. The one's that hung around tended to become a drag on the companies success.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 24th, 2019, 6:20 am I don't have time to post much, need to get back to the hospital and set with a relative. I listened to about half of this. If you buy into what they're spinning you need some more real world experience. I worked for three major corporations and everyone of them had a so called "bubble'. Actually it's a team. The team is measured by it's success. Regardless whether it's the top or a mid level employee group. The host acknowledge Liberty is very successful. At all three of the companies I worked for there were always some folks that for one reason or another didn't fit the team. If they had any potential they usually move on. The one's that hung around tended to become a drag on the companies success.
Real world experience? Interesting how a critical comment about the Administration is due to lack of real world experience, not writing paychecks, gullibility, or bitterness...oh, anti-Trump. Maybe one day we will meet and I can share with you my real world experience. Better yet, spend time with faculty and find out about theirs.
Read up on Herb Kelleher; everyone of us should expect better than what the school gets right now. His model of leadership was much more congruent with scripture than is Jerry's. He wasn't in a business that was a stewarding other people's debts. He also was not a believer during his tenure at Southwest.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 24th, 2019, 6:20 am I don't have time to post much, need to get back to the hospital and set with a relative. I listened to about half of this. If you buy into what they're spinning you need some more real world experience. I worked for three major corporations and everyone of them had a so called "bubble'. Actually it's a team. The team is measured by it's success. Regardless whether it's the top or a mid level employee group. The host acknowledge Liberty is very successful. At all three of the companies I worked for there were always some folks that for one reason or another didn't fit the team. If they had any potential they usually move on. The one's that hung around tended to become a drag on the companies success.
Obviously when you listen to the take of former employees you have to listen to it with a skeptical ear but at the same time it is unwise to completely ignore their concerns as they clearly still have friends within the Liberty bubble and understand the complexities of it.

One thing I have learned over the years is that as soon as you stop valuing the people that work for you and ignore their concerns you lose their respect. It won't take too much longer that your organization or military unit loses its effectiveness.

Liberty is a non-profit organization whose mission is to train champions for Christ. Can we train the best champions for Christ when one of the biggest focuses have been simply ensuring the online course have high pass rates so retention levels remain high? I don't think that is doing the student or the school any favors.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 11:48 pm Jerry pulls the shirt off and some of you guys just go all gaga. :bowdown
According to my "sources,"* students weren't too amused by the Nassar led skislope worship/falwell fest.

*I now know how cool Ballcoach must feel when he uses such a reference.
Don't get me started on Nasser. He's a big part of the issues of entitlement on campus.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Recently Cameron Strang, the founder of Relevant Magazine has been criticised for how he lead his organization. Why do I bring this up? Today he made a statement and it brought me back to this thread. I don't want Jerry to step down, I'd just like him to show some humility and admit he may have some blindspots and seek outside help to maybe show him this blindspots.

Here is the link to Cameron's statement and I think once you read it you'll see why I think it is applicable to this issue.

https://relevantmagazine.com/current/a- ... -strang-i/
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 24th, 2019, 12:24 pm Recently Cameron Strang, the founder of Relevant Magazine has been criticised for how he lead his organization. Why do I bring this up? Today he made a statement and it brought me back to this thread. I don't want Jerry to step down, I'd just like him to show some humility and admit he may have some blindspots and seek outside help to maybe show him this blindspots.

Here is the link to Cameron's statement and I think once you read it you'll see why I think it is applicable to this issue.

We will probably never know what his offenses were, but he has been made aware of them. He's obviously an intellegent dude. Apologize and stop doing/saying whatever it was. On the surface this step seems like overkill. Almost like a Catholic penance.
oldflame wrote: September 24th, 2019, 2:26 pm
thepostman wrote: September 24th, 2019, 12:24 pm Recently Cameron Strang, the founder of Relevant Magazine has been criticised for how he lead his organization. Why do I bring this up? Today he made a statement and it brought me back to this thread. I don't want Jerry to step down, I'd just like him to show some humility and admit he may have some blindspots and seek outside help to maybe show him this blindspots.

We will probably never know what his offenses were, but he has been made aware of them. He's obviously an intellegent dude. Apologize and stop doing/saying whatever it was. On the surface this step seems like overkill. Almost like a Catholic penance.
Or like someone in a 12 step program.

I don't know if you've meet anyone that lives post 12 steps, but they are some of the most joyous, empathetic, loving people I've ever meet.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: September 24th, 2019, 4:33 pm
oldflame wrote: September 24th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Or like someone in a 12 step program.

I don't know if you've meet anyone that lives post 12 steps, but they are some of the most joyous, empathetic, loving people I've ever meet.
I spent 30 years in community mental health, where a lot of the people I worked with also had substance abuse issues. I'm pretty familiar with 12 step programs and totally agree with your assessment, but to the best of my knowledge quitting your job is not something they generally recommend. The exception of course would be if your co-workers are also co-abusers or enablers. I don't believe that is the case here.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Well Masters lost it's accreditation because of misused of funds and the "culture of fear". I do think they will give us a warning and unfortunately I don't think it will do anything. Jr will be Jr, he will stay in politics and the culture of fear will continue on.

I think it will be to late before anything changes.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: September 25th, 2019, 8:44 pm Well Masters lost it's accreditation because of misused of funds and the "culture of fear". I do think they will give us a warning and unfortunately I don't think it will do anything. Jr will be Jr, he will stay in politics and the culture of fear will continue on.

I think it will be to late before anything changes.
Master's is still accredited, although they are on probation, which is only the first step required to remove accreditation. They have about 2 years to address their issues, significant among which were title IX problems which I believe is an area where Liberty has gone over and above what is required to assure compliance. I could not find any report that they were accused of misuse of funds, but that doesn't mean they were not.

https://www.masters.edu/uploads/TMUS_WASC_FAQ.pdf
https://proclaimerscv.com/2018/09/19/ma ... clery-act/
By LUaddict
Registration Days Posts
I know that Jerry is a human being like all of us and he has his faults, but I feel like having him turnaround, and have a change of heart like Charlie Kirk is a longshot. I feel like the success of LUO, money, and the Trump friendship have made him drink on power. We can only pray and hope that he repents and actually acts like a "Christian" man. If the SACS is dead serious of taking away our accreditation after providing us with warning, and if Jerry continues to do the things he is doing; I think that the board or a group of others should give Jerry the boot. Liberty is bigger than the Falwell's and there has to be other potential good stewards that want to save Liberty for future generations. Just because LU was started by Big Jerry doesn't mean it has to be ran by another Falwell. If another Falwell continues to run LU, it would continue to have this inbred culture that Jr has created. Liberty is the largest Christian University in the world, not the Largest Falwell University of the world.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]