This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Not to mention Charlie is just not that bright...

Today he criticized Hunter Biden's request, according to UK's tabloid, Daily Mail, (and picked up by Fox News), "to have his financial information sealed" so as they "would not be used maliciously by the media".

Does Charlie not even see the irony to Trump's fighting to keep his financial information out of the public domain? You can agree or disagree whether Trump should or shouldn't but judge by the same rules on something so prominently in the news.

(I use quotation marks above because the Daily News is not far removed from a National Enquirer tabloid type paper...minus aliens).
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 30th, 2019, 7:55 pm 80 percent of academia is hard left, politically active and very organized. Needs some push back.
If you don't believe 80 % of academia is hard left and politically active you miss the impeachment hearing yesterday. I think Professor Turley is the last honest Democrat. :lol:
By Jonathan Carone
The Ringer published a very fair article today on Liberty, Jerry, and football. In it, there were a few quotes from Jerry I found troubling:
Falwell is one of the bulwarks of the religious right, an heir to his father’s Moral Majority. His family has built its legacy on the intertwinement of faith and politics, fighting for prayer in schools and against gay marriage. Yet Falwell seems to be suggesting that his political activity is no longer guided by his Christian beliefs. So I ask how much his faith informs his political views.

“Not at all,” he says.

Without pausing, he rushes into an explanation. “I mean, I believe what I do politically because I believe it’s what’s best for the country. And I take to heart what Jesus said. Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s and unto God the things that are God’s. They’re two different things.”
I refer back to what Falwell said earlier, that he sees Trump as a “Christ-centered” man.

“Well,” Falwell says, “I’ve never talked to him about that in particular. But I think he’s a good man. I do think he’s a Christian.” To be clear, Jerry Falwell Jr., one of Trump’s first and loudest supporters from the religious right, a man who talks to the president often, who began our conversation by bragging about getting a phone call from him during a recruiting dinner, and who has developed his own platform through his presidency of the nation’s best-known evangelical university, said that he doesn’t talk to the president about faith.
https://www.theringer.com/2019/12/20/21 ... university
I'm not sure I could articulate my thoughts on politics and religion well on the spot either. Not coming to his defense. But it is an intricate blend.

I disagree with homosexual lifestyles and believe acting upon that temptation is a sin, but I don't think it should be the government's job to enforce that. It's a sin that involves two consenting adults. You could easily conclude that my faith isn't guiding my political beliefs. But I don't believe there is a way to enforce that while LOVING people too.

That differs from my stance on abortion. It's murder. The consent of both parties is not there. Government needs to intervene.

I hope that came out clearly.
chris leedlelee liked this
By chris leedlelee
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 20th, 2019, 12:11 pm https://www.theringer.com/2019/12/20/21 ... university
Thats about as fair of an article as you can write these days. Kudos to The RInger for writing such a well-written piece. No matter your views on Jerry, I am sure you can appreciate this quote from him in the article,"Falwell, though, justifies his support for Trump by suggesting that faith and politics need not be intertwined. 'I think you can be a liberal, a conservative, or a libertarian, and still be a good Christian.'"
By Jonathan Carone
I loved the line about being liberal, conservative, etc and still being a good Christian. That’s the first time I’ve ever heard him say that.

The part that troubles me is when he says his faith plays no part in his politics. I certainly understand there are times where our personal beliefs shouldn’t outweigh the rights of others who believe differently (the homosexual marriage example is the perfect example).

However, our school was created to train champions for Christ. Our goal was to train Christians in every field so they could influence their field for the cause of Jesus. If the president of the university isn’t acting as a champion for Christ in his positions of influence, then there’s a disconnect there.

I’m okay with Jerry’s politics being different than mine. That was established long ago. But my hope was he was still letting his interpretation of the Gospel influence how he counseled and advised those in political circles. His statement of “not at all” implies he sets aside his faith in favor of the country. That’s concerning both as the president of a Christian university but also as a fellow Christian.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
It makes me think of the sacred/secular divide that was implicit in a lot of conservative Christian teachings from when I was growing up. Your options for serving the kingdom are going into “full-time ministry” or financially supporting those who do. You have a secular job to make money to support the church to do the ministry.

Which IMHO is not a Biblical view of the kingdom of God. You can faithfully serve God as a receptionist, barber, lawyer, politician, etc, and your faith should fully inform all aspects of your life and career, not just leaving it to the pastors, as Jerry has suggested that he does with Nasser.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Started watching and had to stop when the stupid commentary about CT started flowing.
How anyone considers him to be an Evangelical leader is beyond me. Seemed more to be an opportunity to grind the axe... CT produces more intellectually stimulating material than I've seen out of Liberty, so maybe there are some ruffled feathers???
Purple Haize, Just John liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:34 pm I'll be honest, didn't watch it and probably won't. it just isn't a good idea to use the school's social media for this purpose. Didn't he just start some kind of think tank? Use that instead.
What university out there doesn’t use its social media platforms to promote national exposure gained by its President/chancellor or other leaders? And why shouldn’t they?

The comparisons to this specifically may be few only because I don’t see that many presidents/chancellors on Fox News or other national news outlets — for any reason.

By the way, it’s about 3 minutes long. If you are going to comment on it and have an opinion about it, at least give it a watch so your opinion has the opportunity to be an informed one.
TH Spangler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 25th, 2019, 3:47 pm I mean there are a lot of legal reasons as to why it isn't a good idea. But it is Christmas so I'm not going to spend much time thinking about it.
Says the guy posting about it on Christmas :D :D
thepostman, TH Spangler liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 25th, 2019, 6:50 pm I am beginning to think there are 3 men standing up for America these days:

Donald Trump
Franklin Graham
Jerry Falwell, Jr.
What about the 60 odd million who voted for Trump? The House Members who voted not to Impeach? Select members of the Armed Forces? Mike Pence? Seems to be a lot more than you think.
thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 25th, 2019, 10:40 pm Apparantly even ballcoach isn't standing up for America these days!!! :shock:

He said it, not me.
Well he was an MP. He was arresting those who were :D
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 26th, 2019, 3:17 pm I saw on LU website, that Jerry won the Turning Point USA's Patriot of the Year Award. It was presented somewhere in Florida, 3 days before the bowl game.
If I can't say t thing nice then I won't say...oh heck, what a load of crap.
Just John liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]