This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 9th, 2019, 10:30 am Even half of this article being accurate is enough for removal, in my opinion.

Nothing will change, at least not yet, but people at least talking about could get the ball moving sometime down the road.

I'd love for Jonathan to get involved somehow but I doubt that'll happen.
If Johnathan was chancellor Brandon Ambrosino would have an entirely different set of grievances. :lol:
By Jonathan Carone
Unfortunately nothing in that article is new information to people who have been paying attention. It's just the first time people talked about it publicly.

And unfortunately nothing will change.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am really ignorant on how the board process works...if there are board members who feel Jerry isn't doing a good job what is stopping them from bringing some kind of action forward? Does jerry hold the trump card?
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
All that information is written to be as negative as possible and is not even close to being accurate. Trey wasn't even employed by Liberty when Tourism was formed as a partnership with Liberty. Amazing how they can twist stuff when they want to...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think the most troubling thing isn't the things the articles talk about, but the culture in which even board members are afraid to speak out or at least question things. That to me, speaks volumes of the kind of leader Jr is.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:19 am All that information is written to be as negative as possible and is not even close to being accurate. Trey wasn't even employed by Liberty when Tourism was formed as a partnership with Liberty. Amazing how they can twist stuff when they want to...
I think the wording is a little confusing, but the article doesn’t say he was VP when your loan was issued.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:24 am
prototype wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:19 am All that information is written to be as negative as possible and is not even close to being accurate. Trey wasn't even employed by Liberty when Tourism was formed as a partnership with Liberty. Amazing how they can twist stuff when they want to...
I think the wording is a little confusing, but the article doesn’t say he was VP when your loan was issued.
Wasn't a loan.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:37 am
adam42381 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:24 am
Wasn't a loan.
Seems like Jr. disagrees, at least in part:
In the end, I reluctantly agreed with the recommendation and allowed the transaction to proceed. In hindsight, it was not a good decision. … LU lost its investment and the loan portion of the deal was only partially paid back.
By Jonathan Carone
The shady business deals and financial corruption are troubling, but I've come to expect that in large businesses.

What bothers me the most is how employees are treated by the administration and the lack of Christian values displayed.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 9th, 2019, 11:39 am I get that you want to protect the University, but what will it take for people to realize that Jerry's leadership and business style is very troubling to say the least?
I know you think that I think Jerry, Jr. is perfect and he can do no wrong. And all I do and say it all out of blind loyalty. That's just not true. I defend the University because I see the type of student it produces and know where we are - compared to where we were. Is Liberty perfect - no. Is Jerry perfect - no. I'm not sure Liberty would even be here today, if it were not for Jerry, Jr. Is he a business man? yes. But it's big University with lots of moving parts. There are many issues at Liberty, when it comes to Leadership and not just in Jerry's office. There seems to be lot of waste when it comes to over employing departments, lots of duplication when it comes to online and resident programs, etc... But Jerry, Jr. has to rely on people he has put in place... and I don't think Jerry, Jr. is involved in every decision made on and off campus.

I think there are some big challenges ahead for Liberty - how do they big online, and not cannibalize resident program? How do they invest, smartly, the millions coming in? (Only so many building projects...) is the leadership that is currently there able to bring Liberty to the next level? How can we keep numbers up in an environment that is turning away from higher education very quickly?

These small deals - have so much more to the story and Liberty has been active to find opportunities that would benefit Lynchburg, provide student educational opportunities, or yes - make some return on investment. Some work out and some don't - that's business - but there's always more to the story and never black and white.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I certainly agree that Liberty is a special place. That doesn't mean I think that Jerry is the man to continue leading our University if the culture he has built around him is one in which even board members don't feel like they can confront him. He is a great businessman but leading a Christian University may not be the best fit for him any longer.

I am also quite aware that no matter who is in charge at Liberty, the public will criticize use and our worldview. I have zero problem with that but when people can find these kinds of things so easily it makes me wonder what is actually really going on.

I am tired of Jerry's antics and the hypocrisy. I was once a huge Jerry supporter, but that has slowly changed over the years as more and more comes out from articles like these and others I know the work at and around the University.

I love this University and want the best for it. I don't think Jerry as the leader will continue to work. This is just my opinion of course and I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me and that is fine.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote: September 9th, 2019, 1:32 pmI love this University and want the best for it. I don't think Jerry as the leader will continue to work. This is just my opinion of course and I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me and that is fine.
Here's the scary part of this: I don't think we have the board in place to find someone who is capable of leading Liberty if Jerry were to step down or be removed.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That may true, but I am willing to take that risk. Again, I realize I am probably in the minority. People see the nice buildings and the athletic facilities and it blinds them from everything else it seems.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 9th, 2019, 1:34 pm
thepostman wrote: September 9th, 2019, 1:32 pmI love this University and want the best for it. I don't think Jerry as the leader will continue to work. This is just my opinion of course and I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me and that is fine.
Here's the scary part of this: I don't think we have the board in place to find someone who is capable of leading Liberty if Jerry were to step down or be removed.
Not sure if he would want the job, but I know who I would pick.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
makarov97 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 2:45 pm
I don't believe anything in the story. It came from Polutico, (a far left communist rag) and interestingly enough was coordinated with other media outlets who have had Liberty in the sights for a long time.

Anyone who doesn't see the Soros puppet strings here is willfully blind.

The dirtbag media lies. On a daily basis. This is a coordinated hit piece by people who hate President Trump and Liberty University.

The people (some on this board included) who want Liberty to morph into a "progressive" abortion and sodomite "accepting" institution are willing to believe whatever the media trash throws at the wall. They don't need anything other than a fiction account purported to be news to latch on to so they can push their own agenda.

The real issue here is the lying media. The media needs to lose its NY Times v. Sullivan protection. Until that happens, nothing will change.
Neat.
By amar0819
Couple take away's:

1. I am a married man and see absolutely nothing wrong with bragging about sexual activities you are having with your WIFE. He's not cheating on her and is sexually attractive to the woman he married....good for him...Elmer Towns used to brag about even more then what was quoted here.

2. In college we have to source all of our cites. Why are national articles allowed to source people who wish to be unanimous. I would have at least gotten a B in English had I been able to fake my way through sources. lol

3. Does Jerry have a PR guy? Why is someone not advising/helping Jerry to live a more conservative life as the leader of Liberty University.

4. This article is designed to make you hate Liberty and Trump. While I do think there is some truth in here I also feel there is a lot that is stretched to make you feel a certain way.

#JustMyThoughts
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Liberty got rid of their PR department a long time ago but Johnny Moore was the school's spokesperson for a while. I'm not sure if Nasser took that over or not.

The writer of the article clearly has an agenda which is why I am not taking it as gospel. He is a former student and has a bit of an ax to grind. There is enough smoke to these stories to believe that there is truth to some of it as far as the toxic culture goes. Talk to people who work for the university and it won't take long to find people who feel that way in some form.
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 9th, 2019, 4:00 pm Liberty got rid of their PR department a long time ago but Johnny Moore was the school's spokesperson for a while. I'm not sure if Nasser took that over or not.

The writer of the article clearly has an agenda which is why I am not taking it as gospel. He is a former student and has a bit of an ax to grind. There is enough smoke to these stories to believe that there is truth to some of it as far as the toxic culture goes. Talk to people who work for the university and it won't take long to find people who feel that way in some form.
This is what I was going to say. An instance is the Mark Demoss debacle. He publically disagreed and was ousted. Becki posted a tirade on Facebook, which was quickly deleted. This isn't a new thing within the walls of Liberty.
By Jonathan Carone
This article does one of three things:

1) For those of us who had heard or experienced the culture described, it just confirms what we already knew.

2) For those who were looking to make sexual pool boy assumptions, it strengthens the hypotheticals they were already assuming.

3) For those firmly entrenched in the bubble, it’s more fake news by people out to ruin Christianity and conservatives.
By Jonathan Carone
amar0819 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 3:54 pm 1. I am a married man and see absolutely nothing wrong with bragging about sexual activities you are having with your WIFE. He's not cheating on her and is sexually attractive to the woman he married....good for him
This one's a slippery one right here. I think there's a big difference in being proud of your sex life with your wife and “all he wanted to talk about was how he would nail his wife, how she couldn’t handle [his penis size], and stuff of that sort" or sending people "a photo of his wife wearing what appeared to be a French maid costume, according to a longtime Liberty employee with firsthand knowledge of the image and the fallout that followed."
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
If a few members can talk anonymously then they should all grow a spine and do something.

It’s crazy to me how Jr still has defenders. His behavior is against what Sr and Liberty stands for.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 9th, 2019, 4:28 pm
amar0819 wrote: September 9th, 2019, 3:54 pm 1. I am a married man and see absolutely nothing wrong with bragging about sexual activities you are having with your WIFE. He's not cheating on her and is sexually attractive to the woman he married....good for him
This one's a slippery one right here. I think there's a big difference in being proud of your sex life with your wife and “all he wanted to talk about was how he would nail his wife, how she couldn’t handle [his penis size], and stuff of that sort" or sending people "a photo of his wife wearing what appeared to be a French maid costume, according to a longtime Liberty employee with firsthand knowledge of the image and the fallout that followed."

I feel like I just walked in on my parents doing it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jon I disagree with you on this article as a whole. There is a lot of new information in it. Becki Trey and the loans are relatively new things that were brought out. Becki’s Tirades on social media. Having employees do personal family business on the LU dime etc. The Cohen and Crosswhite stuff...we already discussed so yeah they were out there. I do agree with you about discussing your sexual exploits with your wife to other people. That seems a tad disrespectful but that’s just me.
As for the PR department junior thinks no one can communicate his thoughts better than he so why have someone try?
I’ll be in the minority here but I thought it was a pretty balanced article all things considered. Several times the author gave quotes from 3rd parties expressing differing views on what Liberty was doing. Much more balanced than the norm.
Anyone who thinks LU will be run by someone not named Falwell Ever is dreaming in my opinion.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]