This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Logic
Long-time Flames Fan and contributor to FlameFans.com. The older types will remember me. I’ve read every post in this thread and though I don’t post as often as I once did, I still read the boards regularly. Some quick hits:

1. I thought Liberty was finished in 2001 after Sr made the 9/11 comments.
2. I thought Penn State was finished in 2011 after the Paterno scandal.
3. I thought surely Michigan State couldn’t survive a 500 million dollar fine from the gymnastics abuse scandal.
4. And the list goes on and on.

A. Liberty is better than ever, and next year will be better than the last.
B. Bill O’Brien came in and went 8-4 in his first year, winning all the Coach of the Year Awards. The “Experts” said it would take Penn State 10+ years to get back...if at all. In 2016 they won another Big Ten title.
C. Life goes on in East Lansing.
D. And so on the saga continues.

By and large, collectively, we in America have a short memory, for better or for worse. The current JLFJR situation is no different. Sr blaming 9/11 on gay people is far worse than anything Jr ever said, but Liberty and time march on. Jerry is looking long-term, and his investments into campus and our endowment will continue to bear fruit long after he steps down from the reigns here at LU. He is the right man for the job, and a hit-piece from Politico and Brandon (who loved his time here at LU by the way) does nothing to change that. Count me in the Pro-Jerry group; he’s looking long-term while the pundits quote Politico. In 20 years no one will remember the Brandon Ambrosino article, but imagine where Liberty will be with the investments Jerry is making now. For proof, look no further than Sr’s 9/11 comments...if those comments, made just two days after 9/11, weren’t enough to sink Liberty, nothing will.

Look long-term. The future is bright. Jerry is working his magic and the best is yet to come.
By chris leedlelee
@Logic That is a high quality post and I fully agree with you. Love or hate Jerry, Liberty is here to stay and is a nationally prominent school (Much having to do with JFLJR's work). Liberty will make an impact for years to come in athletics, academics, and students lives'. Long term perspective is important here. Although I may not like Jr.'s style, because of the work he has done, Liberty will be here for my children and grandchildren hopefully. I just hope LU never loses its Christian identity.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Yes he built it up but he can easily tear it down with his current actions. All it takes is Liberty losing it's tax exempt status or it's accreditation. The accreditation might be a stretch but the tax exempt is not. IF we lose our tax exemption then what he built will all go crumbing down.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Release the Gorka! I like him but may not see completely eye to eye with him on this. Mainly because I think he misses the entire point.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Saint Augustine777 wrote: September 21st, 2019, 11:09 am
Yacht Rock wrote: September 21st, 2019, 9:26 am
rogers3 wrote: September 21st, 2019, 12:35 am

In other words, the end justifies the means.
Lol, I was just going to say the same thing...again.
Sounds like a bunch of you got your feelings hurt by Jerry. Maybe it’s time to put on your big boy pants. Or stop conflating religion with running a large successful organization.

It sounds like none of you ever had to make payroll. Jeez.

Thanks for the nice welcome some of you.
Is this Junior? :roll: Are we all just "bureaucrats" as well if we haven't had to meet a payroll"?

Interesting someone (else) would derisively try to suggest one should divorce their Christianity for the sake of "running a big business". That's antithetical to the founding of LU and Jerry Sr. It was founded as a liberal arts school, not a Bible school solely to train for ministry. We have all heard Sr a couple hundred times say LU was building "Champions for Christ to go out in the secular world and make a difference". According to you, that "difference" stops at "running a business" and "making a payroll". :dontgetit
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
Just John wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 4:25 pm
Yacht Rock wrote: September 21st, 2019, 9:26 am

Lol, I was just going to say the same thing...again.
Sounds like a bunch of you got your feelings hurt by Jerry. Maybe it’s time to put on your big boy pants. Or stop conflating religion with running a large successful organization.

Is this Junior? :roll: Are we all just "bureaucrats" as well if we haven't had to meet a payroll"?

Interesting someone (else) would derisively try to suggest one should divorce their Christianity for the sake of "running a big business". That's antithetical to the founding of LU and Jerry Sr. It was founded as a liberal arts school, not a Bible school solely to train for ministry. We have all heard Sr a couple hundred times say LU was building "Champions for Christ to go out in the secular world and make a difference". According to you, that "difference" stops at "running a business" and "making a payroll". :dontgetit
People also forgot that it took Doc passing away to be able to make payroll on a consistent basis. It was his life insurance policy that pulled Liberty out of debt. I know the people who built LUO. They were put there by Doc and he got out of the way. To attribute all the growth and good things that have happened at Liberty of to Jr is being dishonest. Also, if the President isn't the spiritual leader and starts making poor, unwise choices, wouldn't it be safe to say that God will intervene and sort it out. Reminds me of Luke 8:17.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Saint Augustine777 wrote: September 21st, 2019, 1:49 pm
Yacht Rock wrote: September 21st, 2019, 1:33 pm I've never worked for the federal government. My professional experience is all in the private sector aside from my decision to teach in the public school system.

Once again, the ends don't always justify the means. It's clear that you believe they do. You're not alone in thinking that way. Just not the conclusions I've come to as I've matured through life.
I don't feel the ends justify the means, so please stop exagerating what I say. Hitler was efficient. I don't think his ends justified his means. Jerry is not Hitler. See how that works?

Kind of ironic several posts ago you defended Junior by saying "the trains run on time'.

Of course, that was famously said about Mussolini. :roll:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 3:10 pm
I saw this shared on Twitter and this whole interview misses the point. This is not about politics to me and to most of the people on this board who have taken issue with how Jr represents the University. It's unfortunate that this is where this conversation continues to go.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Kolzilla41 wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 4:34 pm

People also forgot that it took Doc passing away to be able to make payroll on a consistent basis. It was his life insurance policy that pulled Liberty out of debt. I know the people who built LUO. They were put there by Doc and he got out of the way. To attribute all the growth and good things that have happened at Liberty of to Jr is being dishonest. Also, if the President isn't the spiritual leader and starts making poor, unwise choices, wouldn't it be safe to say that God will intervene and sort it out. Reminds me of Luke 8:17.
Or, in the case of so many universities that have left their conservative Christian moorings, it becomes Christian in Name Only. Just a hundred years ago Princeton Seminary was well-known for conservative evangelical leadership, only to fall into modernism in the late 20's. Fuller Seminary was started as a very conservative, evangelical seminary that, has no doubt moved to the left. Baylor and Pepperdine. The latter three are examples of just a few of relatively modern universities/seminaries who have left their core. None of us want to see that.

At the same time, I don't want to be the guy that's saying we are a decade away from being martyrs or HRC would have us in re-education camps. Too many Christians have a penchant for being sensational.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
I saw Jr and Becki doing something last night I haven't seen them do for the last 3 or 4 seasons at least. They went over to the student section and hung out with the students, taking pictures, etc. It's certainly no coincidence IMO this "charm offensive" just began, however, I doubt Mark DeMoss is the PR guy suggesting it. :P

If it's not just cosmetic and is the beginning of change, good on him.

BTW...the guy who helped organize the protest last week after convo was also the same guy who was featured on the Fox News website for his tweets showing the Monday evening worship event at the ski lodge. They did not know the guy was related to both incidents. I say that only because a couple were pretty harsh about the "organizers". I just happened to follow this guy on Twitter a couple of years ago as he is a quite conservative Libertarian and worked at Cookout which I frequented. Not everyone who protested were "progressive haters". :D
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Kolzilla41 wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 4:34 pm

Doc's insurance policy, was a rounding error in our budget, something like $35M and some of it went to Macel, as it should. There is not doubt that Jr, has done a good job with the endowment. There is also no doubt that his management style, both professional and personal, could use an overhaul.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: September 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm I've noticed Jerry making a renewed effort with the student body. It is certainly smart of him to do so.
That’s what made his dad special. You could tell he had a vested interest in the school and you felt he had a vested interest in you. You were a person, not a figure on a balance sheet. Since we are required to bring Trump into this discussion that’s one thing I hope Junior picks up from his new father figure.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jerry pulls the shirt off and some of you guys just go all gaga. :bowdown
According to my "sources,"* students weren't too amused by the Nassar led skislope worship/falwell fest.

*I now know how cool Ballcoach must feel when he uses such a reference.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I listened to this podcast on the way to work this morning. It was certainly an interesting listen and one I thought was fair. They didn't spend time throwing Jerry under the bus or talking down about his political views, but instead spoke of the concerns many of us have shared on here.

https://julieroys.com/podcast/are-alleg ... l-jr-true/

Here is the synopsis:
Liberty University president, Jerry Falwell Junior, is in hot water after several exposes charging him with nurturing a culture of fear and self-dealing at the evangelical school. But the charges against him were mainly made by anonymous sources. This week on The Roys Report, a former dean at Liberty University who’s never before spoken to the press will join me to discuss the allegations. And he’ll be going on the record, as opposed to remaining anonymous. What’s true and what’s not? I really hope you can join us for The Roys Report, this Saturday morning at 11 on AM 1160 Hope for Your Life and on Sunday night at 7 on AM 560 The Answer!
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]