This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rhezick
I don't think I've ever seen the "Lynchburg Life" board go a full month without a post and it's one of my favorites to frequent on here, so I'll throw a topic out there. Anyone ever listen to the sportsline with Rich Roth and Ed Lane on 100.9 WIQO? They've been on the air forever, covering LU sports (among others). Apparently it's the fastlane sans rich? I know changes like these happen frequently in radio, but I thought I heard these two have been doing this for something like 20 years? I always was able to time it to leave work right around the time chris/damnien would come on the air to discuss LU sports in their spanning the state type segment. Loved the show and curious of anyone knows what happened, or had any similar enjoyment listening.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:I don't think I've ever seen the "Lynchburg Life" board go a full month without a post and it's one of my favorites to frequent on here, so I'll throw a topic out there. Anyone ever listen to the sportsline with Rich Roth and Ed Lane on 100.9 WIQO? They've been on the air forever, covering LU sports (among others). Apparently it's the fastlane sans rich? I know changes like these happen frequently in radio, but I thought I heard these two have been doing this for something like 20 years? I always was able to time it to leave work right around the time chris/damnien would come on the air to discuss LU sports in their spanning the state type segment. Loved the show and curious of anyone knows what happened, or had any similar enjoyment listening.
I was a listener and frequent caller and contestant. Rich started with Bob Sturm way back about 20 years ago. Ed was on board for a bit while they were on WLNI before it got sold. When WIQO and the ESPN came about Rich and Ed restarted the SportsLine. I can’t remember how long they have been at WIQO I think 6 or 7 years. But for now on enjoy The FastLane with Ed Lane.
By Class of 20Something
Ed was clearly distraught on the first day without Rich. There were creative differences between Rich and the powers(what Ed said). I think solo radio is a much more difficult format but Ed is taking it in stride.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Solo sports talk is considerably more taxing. I used to do shows on ESPN here in Houston solo and in tandem and I always preferred the latter. Creative differences in radio business are as common as the sales folk using misleading ratings stats to sell spots.

I haven't heard these guys but I have worked Lynchburg radio (albeit three decades ago) and know there only so many ports in a storm. Hopefully Rich finds a great landing place.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Bob Sturm was the best, and Jerry, Sr. even came on the radio for Bob's last broadcast before he moved on to the big time sports radio in Dallas.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Rich’s landing place could be very surprising. And like Sly Fox I will leave it at that
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I had no idea the sportsline was still around. Once upon a time, I did an internship for the sportsline. Good times. Or something.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I had no idea the sportsline was still around. Once upon a time, I did an internship for the sportsline. Good times. Or something.
I totally cannot see you there. Unless you were The Shepherd :D :lol:
By ElmersTwin
Cider Jim wrote:Bob Sturm was the best, and Jerry, Sr. even came on the radio for Bob's last broadcast before he moved on to the big time sports radio in Dallas.
Bob is one of my favorite people to follow on Twitter. Dude knows his stuff, and is a Liverpool fan. Love that guy.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:I had no idea the sportsline was still around. Once upon a time, I did an internship for the sportsline. Good times. Or something.
I totally cannot see you there. Unless you were The Shepherd :D :lol:
I was there screening calls and updating the website. I think I only was on air once or twice. It didn't last the entire semester because it got cancelled. I did not realize it had come back but I also haven't made it a point to follow them much.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I remained a regular guest talking about golf in general and some VSGA tournaments/initiatives during the summer months. Haven't heard if that will continue, but Ed has my number.
By LU 57
I remember when Bob Sturm started his radio show on the campus station way back in the day. I was amazed at the guests he got. Two off of the top of my head were Chris Fowler and HOF Ray Nitschke.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote:I remember when Bob Sturm started his radio show on the campus station way back in the day. I was amazed at the guests he got. Two off of the top of my head were Chris Fowler and HOF Ray Nitschke.
Bob was probably on cloud 9 talking to Nitschke. I know he grew up a huge Packer fan. Probably still is, even though I highly doubt he mentions it much considering his current job and location.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
When you get in the sports media business, you tend to lose your affections for teams. It becomes more about the athletes.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed Sly. Since I've been in broadcasting I do have my fandoms, but they arent as obvious most of the time. I also find myself analyzing and breaking down more of what I'm watching, even while I'm doing the dishes
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]