This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:Third party healthcare is one of the reasons that healthcare is so expensive. Welcome to the future where you pay for your own healthcare. For most, this will be beneficial. Welcome to the future.
The future is the past.......
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Our previous healthcare situation wasn't the best 8-10 years ago, but it was light years ahead of where we are today.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Last edited by SumItUp on August 26th, 2018, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That Health Incentive is going to be tough for a bunch of good eating Baptists.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:Thanks Zero-bama and dumb-as-craps. Our previous healthcare situation wasn't the best 8-10 years ago, but it was light years ahead of where we are today.
This isn’t helping the discussion.
By jack_sparrow81
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote:Surprising move. Not a good experience for the employee. We evaluated Medi-Share as a potential option for our business at startup but discovered two show stoppers (in addition to the “not insurance” aspect) - 1) pre existing conditions appear to be a common escape valve for conditions such as cancer and 2) adding a wrap around short term or other ancillary medical policy creates significant administrative headaches for employees in terms of billing, provider networks, etc. In the end, we went to a United PPO plan. For what it’s worth, the cost differential was around $1200/month (Medi-Share $800, United Small Group PPO Gold, $2000, family coverage, full cost). Obviously the numbers will differ at enterprise scale but these figures are illustrative of the cost savings.
From reading more about it, it makes sense in some situations such as being self employed or saving $ for a family compared to other plans. What I'm not understanding and you hit on is a small business or a large organization taking it on. They must have a different setup for organizations, especially with the preexisting condition. Also, how are they not considered an insurance with the whole in network/out of network? Asking to understand it
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
flameshaw wrote:Thanks Zero-bama and dumb-as-craps. Our previous healthcare situation wasn't the best 8-10 years ago, but it was light years ahead of where we are today.
He rarely does. But bonus points for not taking a shot at any coaching staff. Must have been pressed for time
By Veritas
jack_sparrow81 wrote:
Veritas wrote:Surprising move. Not a good experience for the employee. We evaluated Medi-Share as a potential option for our business at startup but discovered two show stoppers (in addition to the “not insurance” aspect) - 1) pre existing conditions appear to be a common escape valve for conditions such as cancer and 2) adding a wrap around short term or other ancillary medical policy creates significant administrative headaches for employees in terms of billing, provider networks, etc. In the end, we went to a United PPO plan. For what it’s worth, the cost differential was around $1200/month (Medi-Share $800, United Small Group PPO Gold, $2000, family coverage, full cost). Obviously the numbers will differ at enterprise scale but these figures are illustrative of the cost savings.
From reading more about it, it makes sense in some situations such as being self employed or saving $ for a family compared to other plans. What I'm not understanding and you hit on is a small business or a large organization taking it on. They must have a different setup for organizations, especially with the preexisting condition. Also, how are they not considered an insurance with the whole in network/out of network? Asking to understand it
The principal difference between a health care insurance policy and a health sharing plan is that your health insurance policy represents a guarantee of coverage under specified conditions contained within the policy form while health sharing plans do not guarantee payment. Health sharing plans also generally do not appear to cover preventative care and prescription drugs with copayments (with some narrow exceptions), and the "premiums" are not tax deductible.

In any event, being self employed and seeking individual health care coverage or short-term health care coverage is brutal, particularly in my home state of Florida, where (like many states) there is one provider in the marketplace. Medical sharing plans will continue to serve a certain need while health care insurance costs continue on an upward trend. In this instance with a substantial employer, however, I certainly wouldn't be happy if I as an employee was switched to Medishare, no matter how many "ministry" buzzwords they wrap it in.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote:
jack_sparrow81 wrote:
The principal difference between a health care insurance policy and a health sharing plan is that your health insurance policy represents a guarantee of coverage under specified conditions contained within the policy form while health sharing plans do not guarantee payment. Health sharing plans also generally do not appear to cover preventative care and prescription drugs with copayments (with some narrow exceptions), and the "premiums" are not tax deductible.

In any event, being self employed and seeking individual health care coverage or short-term health care coverage is brutal, particularly in my home state of Florida, where (like many states) there is one provider in the marketplace. Medical sharing plans will continue to serve a certain need while health care insurance costs continue on an upward trend. In this instance with a substantial employer, however, I certainly wouldn't be happy if I as an employee was switched to Medishare, no matter how many "ministry" buzzwords they wrap it in.
The people who are self employed or ‘between coverages’ really are getting hosed. That’s been the legacy of the most recent health care changes over the last 8 years. THAT has to change and it’s quite frankly not a difficult fix
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Veritas wrote:
jack_sparrow81 wrote:

Yea I imagine any employee of LU wouldn't be happy. That's like Jerry saying "alright to save some money, we're going to move your salary from direct deposit to Facebook stock. Because.... Jesus." And yes I know, a loose analogy but you get the point. Slap in the face to anyone who signed up to work there and needs to provide that peace of mind for their family. Or themselves. Hope more people speak out about this insanity.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I suppose it’s possible that Medi-share has some sort of offering everyone is unaware of yet that would offer greater coverage than they do now.

A lot of reputable large employers do self-insured and have administrative only agreements with standard insurance companies. Does anyone know if Liberty is self funded or heading in that direction and is looking to Medishare to handle administrative tasks?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I suppose it’s possible that Medi-share has some sort of offering everyone is unaware of yet that would offer greater coverage than they do now.

A lot of reputable large employers do self-insured and have administrative only agreements with standard insurance companies. Does anyone know if Liberty is self funded or heading in that direction and is looking to Medishare to handle administrative tasks?
Could be a new program for the Medishare organization that saves money. LU, in turn, adds the savings back to the employee...or puts savings into a fund that helps employees with large deductibles. Wishful thinking, but who knows?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:I suppose it’s possible that Medi-share has some sort of offering everyone is unaware of yet that would offer greater coverage than they do now.

Could be a new program for the Medishare organization that saves money. LU, in turn, adds the savings back to the employee...or puts savings into a fund that helps employees with large deductibles. Wishful thinking, but who knows?
Purple Haize wrote:I would also be interested in the details. As I look at it on the surface it’s probably going to save the University a ton of money. However, I don’t know if Medishare is offering products to compete with Anthem
Glad you guys caught up :D :D
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Did I miss someone else suggesting that employees would get the savings the the school might realize? I thought that was something that is almost as likely as snow in the summer.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:Did I miss someone else suggesting that employees would get the savings the the school might realize? I thought that was something that is almost as likely as snow in the summer.
When I was in Argentina one July......
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:Did I miss someone else suggesting that employees would get the savings the the school might realize? I thought that was something that is almost as likely as snow in the summer.
I spent 3 weeks in July in South Africa back when I was a student. We froze our butts off because despite warnings, nobody brought enough warm clothes.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I spent 3 weeks in July in South Africa back when I was a student. We froze our butts off because despite warnings, nobody brought enough warm clothes.
Well, it would be winter in the Southern Hemisphere.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Of course it is, and I´m sure Purple knows that too. Actually having snowfall in the summer is not unheard of in some places, and having snow on the ground year round is pretty common in the mountains. I made a snowball in July at Crater Lake in Oregon.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
Doesn't really matter whether it helps or not, they are the irrefutable facts. One may choose to ignore them, but it won't change the reality. 8)
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Of course it is, and I´m sure Purple knows that too. Actually having snowfall in the summer is not unheard of in some places, and having snow on the ground year round is pretty common in the mountains. I made a snowball in July at Crater Lake in Oregon.
I think I made my point. I didn't say "a snowball's chance in hell." Why be difficult?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
oldflame wrote:Of course it is, and I´m sure Purple knows that too. Actually having snowfall in the summer is not unheard of in some places, and having snow on the ground year round is pretty common in the mountains. I made a snowball in July at Crater Lake in Oregon.
I think I made my point. I didn't say "a snowball's chance in hell." Why be difficult?
So this one time in Haiti. ...... :D
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 26th, 2018, 7:32 pm What an odd thing for an employer to consider. Medashare isnt meant for this kind of thing. Did the guy who runs medashare befriend Jerry or something???
The CEO of Medi-Share was someone who used to work for LU back in the day and then a senior executive for Sam Moore at Thomas Nelson Publishing. (Sam was a good friend of Sr and Liberty as he bought a few bibles for OTGH promos back in the day. :) Not only did he work at LU years ago, but as a literary agent, he had tons of connections in the Evangelical world, many at LU. No doubt, a significant reason for the hire.

This was offered as an option to LU employees. It does make sense for some people. Also, I understand there are some people there who are not eligible for traditional insurance and this gives them some coverage. Plans were to offer it to alumni as well. Not sure if that ever happened.
Last edited by Just John on June 27th, 2019, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]