This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
Nothing surprising here, but not a good look at all.
Kirk told the new staffers, “Your job is to keep the LU reputation and the image as it is. … Don’t destroy the image of LU. Pretty simple. OK? Well you might say, ‘Well, that’s not my job, my job is to do journalism. My job is to be First Amendment. My job is to go out and dig and investigate, and I should do anything I want to do because I’m a journalist.’ So let’s get that notion out of your head. OK?”

He added, “It’s their newspaper. They can stop this newspaper today if they wanted to. And just so you know, they can do it. Too much trouble, too many problems, we’re getting ourselves in hot water, you guys are doing stories we can’t defend. We’re gonna stop.”

Now, edited stories before publication must go through a two- or three-stage approval process: first to the faculty adviser, then to a panel of faculty members, and after that possibly to Falwell himself for approval before publishing. It’s not clear how long that three-stage process of approval will take, nor whether students will be able to take any initiative.
https://world.wng.org/2018/08/papered_over
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Not that it makes its ok but this has been standard operating procedures for the champion since way before I stepped foot on the mountain. Every now and then they would let up and something would happen and they would tighten the reigns.

Its the school's student run newspaper. Not many schools allow complete freedom. LU just takes it a bit further than most.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Not that it makes its ok but this has been standard operating procedures for the champion since way before I stepped foot on the mountain. Every now and then they would let up and something would happen and they would tighten the reigns.

Its the school's student run newspaper. Not many schools allow complete freedom. LU just takes it a bit further than most.
agreed but this election cycle has been the worst I've ever seen in terms of censorship. Applications and Enrollment are down, long time professors are leaving and Jr is recklessly tweeting dumb stuff and it's getting worse.

This quote is worrisome
Covey asked how what happened at an educational institution might be different from what happened at a business. Kirk replied, “It’s not really that different. Frankly, I said it’s a family business, it is. I mean, Jerry Falwell and his dad Jerry before him and that’s how this university was founded, right? It wasn’t founded by somebody else. It was founded by the Falwells.” Staff members exchanged glances as he spoke, and some looked at the floor to avoid eye contact.
Family Business, that says it all.
By Jonathan Carone
None of it is stuff we didn’t already know. But it’s now Liberty officials saying it in quotes.

I wish we had a true Board of Trustees that could reign him in but he’s far too gone now.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Ballah09, it has been very cyclical. At times the administration is very hands off but then something happens or a series of events happens and they are all over it. There are tons of stories from the 90s as well. It happened, in some degree, at 90.9 when I was on staff there.

Its the nature of working at LU, especially when what you do can been seen or heard by the public.

I have problem with it and always have but its comical to think anybody at LU or on the board of trustees have any problems with it. It's been standard at LU long before Jerry Jr took over.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, this isn’t a good look.

Behavior like this turns the newspaper into more of a corporate newsletter, which I’m sure some students are interested in, but obviously not what others signed up for.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Its always been a corporate newsletter and always will be for better or for worse.
Most school newspapers are
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The Champion should never publish stories that reflect a negative opinion of LU, nor publish something that makes LU look bad. It should always be positive.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:The Champion should never publish stories that reflect a negative opinion of LU, nor publish something that makes LU look bad. It should always be positive.
Why?
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:The Champion should never publish stories that reflect a negative opinion of LU, nor publish something that makes LU look bad. It should always be positive.
Why?
Because it's only fake news if he disagrees with it.
By ElmersTwin
Isn't that what the Marketing Dept. is for?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I get it. The school is footing the bill so they don’t want to pay for negative press. That being said, the paper should serve and reflect the student body (who have a wide and diverse perspective on things) and not reflect the administration. It would be much more valuable that way.

At the very least it should be able to balance both of those priorities.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Obviously Liberty, just like any school, is going to keep an eye on their school paper.

But as is often the case with LU they take it to the next level with intimidation tactics.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Everyone should support the University and the administration.

Do not open door for some liberal to write an article.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Everyone should support the University and the administration.

You must have grown up in a small village in French Guyana.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Everyone should support the University and the administration.

Blind allegiance above all else!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts

Ah hypocrisy. Gotta love it.
By ElmersTwin
I'm okay with oversight, but not to the point that the paper is only allowed to pump the content that the administration wants. It's just a shame that the snowflake culture has hit the top of the food chain at LU.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
It definitely is a contrast from when I wrote for the champion as a sports reporter the fall that the football team went 1-10.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:It definitely is a contrast from when I wrote for the champion as a sports reporter the fall that the football team went 1-10.
Really? I seen to remember it being an issue during our era as well.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read at least 4 newspapers daily.

Lynchburg
Danville
Richmond
USA Today

And Roanoke about 3 times a week, and Washington Post on Sunday.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I read at least 4 newspapers daily.

Lynchburg
Danville
Richmond
USA Today

And Roanoke about 3 times a week, and Washington Post on Sunday.
You are the exception, not the rule.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
When came to my education experience, Liberty is great. The outcomes were pretty positive for all the friends I made there. Liberty has also done a great job continuing to grow as well.

That’s about all I have to say that’s good about the university right now.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]