This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Educational experience, outcomes and growth. That covers a lot, and you say it’s good. What are you omitting that’s bad, in your opinion?
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Educational experience, outcomes and growth. That covers a lot, and you say it’s good. What are you omitting that’s bad, in your opinion?
Politics and cult of personality.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Washington Post.
Fake news.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
A lot of the major media is starting to pick it up as well. I’ve seen a few sports reporters tweeting about it which is not a good look with what we’re trying to accomplish in athletics.

Lastly, I wonder how Jr is going to play this out considering all of this was caught on tape.
By Jonathan Carone
I just wish we cared as much about doing the right thing as we do making it look like we did the right thing.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I just wish we cared as much about doing the right thing as we do making it look like we did the right thing.
This.

But do we even try to look like we do the right thing anymore? I see a lot more accomodation and turning a blind eye especially when it comes to the politics. Doc might have supported Trump but he sure would have called him out on stuff too. I love what JFJR has done for the school and give him a ton of credit but as a national Christian leader he deserves a lot of the criticism he gets and to not even discuss it is unamerican and unchristian. Wasn't part of protestant Christianity's whole founding centered around allowing the laity to read and discuss the Bible for themselves and allow discussion and discourse? This blind political loyalty is making it harder than ever to get the true message of the Gospel across and to highlight the many good things about my alma mater. I wonder what Luther or Bonhoeffer might say.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jerry jr doesn't care about being caught on tape. He doesn't see it as doing anything wrong. He will just convince himself its the fake news media and since he is surrounded by yes men nobody will hold him accountable.
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
This isn't much of a story to me. A school newspaper has never been considered a purely independent voice filled with First Amendment freedom-fighter journalists. It's, by definition, a school newspaper. I can't think of any institution that willingly pays for ink, reporters, & distribution networks in order to put out negative impressions of itself. I see this as a lot of noise about nothing. Editorial decisions often go the way of the opinions of the owners. The faux shock is rather humorous. It seems like journalists are fighting for their own reputation more than any real belief that the Champion is the Times, Post or Advance.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You're not wrong but I think where my problem comes in is the language that was used. They could have reinforced their policy without resorting to scare tactics.

I do think it is being made a bigger story since the narrative is their is a war on journalism coming right from the white house.

Of course out of all the narratives being painted that seems like one of the most far fetched.
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:You're not wrong but I think where my problem comes in is the language that was used. They could have reinforced their policy without resorting to scare tactics.

I do think it is being made a bigger story since the narrative is their is a war on journalism coming right from the white house.

Of course out of all the narratives being painted that seems like one of the most far fetched.
It's not even scare tactics. They pulled scholarships.

Here is a solution if Jr insists on plugging himself into everything. Give him a column, but keep off what the writers write. Have discource and discussion in the paper!
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I think he's inferring that sometimes scare tactics aren't followed through with (i.e., keep doing this and we will pull scholarships, but it never happens). In this case, yeah, they made an example out of those students and have made current staff sign an NDA.
By Class of 20Something
Yacht Rock wrote:I think he's inferring that sometimes scare tactics aren't followed through with (i.e., keep doing this and we will pull scholarships, but it never happens). In this case, yeah, they made an example out of those students and have made current staff sign an NDA.
Precisely. Scare tactics are meant to scare the subject into compliance. Beyond calling it scare tactics, I think this is a pretty blatant attempt at coercion. It's like they're trying to make the name Liberty ironic. Call the school Liberty but give the students anything except for it.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Hey guys, I had a dream 3 years ago, or maybe it was 5, but God told me that Donald Trump would meet with Kim Jung Un. Any movie producers out there?
By Class of 20Something
On the stupidity and outright moronic behavior of this school. They are charging employees $50 for a parking pass, even if they don't work on campus.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Jerry jr doesn't care about being caught on tape. He doesn't see it as doing anything wrong. He will just convince himself its the fake news media and since he is surrounded by yes men nobody will hold him accountable.
good call. He tweeted fake news. Not kidding :roll:

his explanation
https://www.newsmax.com/us/censorship-l ... id/878106/
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:
thepostman wrote:Jerry jr doesn't care about being caught on tape. He doesn't see it as doing anything wrong. He will just convince himself its the fake news media and since he is surrounded by yes men nobody will hold him accountable.
good call. He tweeted fake news. Not kidding :roll:

his explanation
https://www.newsmax.com/us/censorship-l ... id/878106/
Here’s the tweet:

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I guess this would be akin to a state university writing a conservative column, with no repercussions from the staff/faculty/admin, really nothing out of the ordinary. Making it public information, is probably another thing, but can't fathom how this is news to anyone.
If one doesn't like the paper, just don't read it. Pretty easy fix. Others dislike anything Jr. does, because he is a Trump supporter. I guess they think we would be better off with Hillary? LOL
This is all foam, no beer. MAGA. 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Excellent comments by Jerry Jr. I have read stuff , (leaning to the left side of the aisle), in the Champion that I was surprised to read.

Often times, the naysayers hear what they want to hear, not what was actually said.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I mean it's not hard to figure out how jr works at this point.
VARY SAd!!!! Not GOOD! loW ENERGY!!!

When Trump backstabs Jr., which will inevitably happen because Trump does that everyone, I wonder what nickname he would come up with for Jr.?
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I guess this would be akin to a state university writing a conservative column, with no repercussions from the staff/faculty/admin, really nothing out of the ordinary. Making it public information, is probably another thing, but can't fathom how this is news to anyone.
If one doesn't like the paper, just don't read it. Pretty easy fix. Others dislike anything Jr. does, because he is a Trump supporter. I guess they think we would be better off with Hillary? LOL
There’s more to philosophy than simple whataboutism.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:I guess this would be akin to a state university writing a conservative column, with no repercussions from the staff/faculty/admin, really nothing out of the ordinary. Making it public information, is probably another thing, but can't fathom how this is news to anyone.
Wait, I thought we didn't like it when other universities shut down open discussion of ideas? Also, there are a lot of folks with issues with Liberty's leadership that go back further than Jr's support of Trump.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
thepostman wrote:I mean it's not hard to figure out how jr works at this point.
VARY SAd!!!! Not GOOD! loW ENERGY!!!

When Trump backstabs Jr., which will inevitably happen because Trump does that everyone, I wonder what nickname he would come up with for Jr.?
I would agree but that would require Jr to at some point not agree with Trump about something. The way he seems to go, I doubt that will ever happen.
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: