This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’m glad we agree that LU is a business. But you have to agree, business is good!

I agree having little/no accountability is a bad thing. But to whom?! And who has been negatively affected so far?

As far as leadership, behavior, etc. - all the things you alluded to: who is suffering? Who has been harmed? Despite so many well-reported misgivings by a select few, the examples of Alumni affected have indeed been shown to be few and far between.

Students absolutely LOVE their leader.

Employees? faculty? Now you
Might be getting somewhere......

Leadership is positioning LU right now for the oncoming tough times you are predicting. The endowment is HUGE now, and the investments in capital infrastructure will last long after you and I are gone.

I cringe when some things are said and done. But I just still fail to see real, direct harm being done. Not yet at least. And until there is, I just can’t see change. That’s all I’m trying to say.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure I agree with many of your points other than, yes, they have certainly invested in infrastructure and it certainly may last and that many employees and faculty have a less than stellar view of senior leadership.

I'm certain that a lot of students love the leaders at LU. I know for a fact that there are a lot of students who don't as well. What %? I have absolutely no idea. I just know most of the students, community members, employees, and alumni I deal with shake their head at the way he carries himself.

As far as the personal stories of who has been hurt by his behavior? I'm not going to hash dirty laundry on a message board other than to say, his behavior isn't fitting of a college president with the mission that LU carries.
By Jonathan Carone
Yacht Rock wrote:his behavior isn't fitting of a college president with the mission that LU carries.
This is where I land. There’s no denying that he’s brilliant and has set up the school for success financially. However, there’s more to Christian leadership than simply having good numbers. How you carry yourself and how you treat others are extremely important as well.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
The real question I have is why do it at all? Boredom? Because you can? Isn't doing a fantastic job and building a legacy at LU enough? Why risk it and the reputation of our faith so recklessly? Just say nothing. Let your actions speak for you. There is so much to be proud of and to be admired and emulated in all that he has done. No one can objectively deny it. This sideshow/side job has muddied the waters and obscured his legacy. I am not talking about with liberals who would never support our mission in the first place. I am talking about good, committed Christian men and women whose kids would normally be our main target. When you can't talk football in Alabama without bringing in the school president that is a problem. We overlook all kinds of crazy stuff as long as the football is good! We should be celebrating our rise to FBS and highlighting the amazing story of LU over the past decade but instead the first thing folks go to is twitter nonsense and pettiness. :)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t think it has obscured his legacy one bit. He’s certainly beginning to alter it, but Lord-willing he still has a LOT of time left to shape it. We are all allowing recency bias to cloud a little.

I never said his behavior at times wasn’t befitting a Christian leader or university president. I asked what “harm” it has caused specifically to the University, because that is the claim that was made. And I’m still seeing None.

The stability of LU is his legacy to this point. Plenty of time left, as I said. But until something is said or done which truly threatens to destabilize the University, nothing is changing. That is my point.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I predict that when first issue of Liberty Journal comes out, the cover will be football theme.
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
I’m guessing the reason JR makes these inflammatory remarks and never disagrees with Trump is that something is in the works behind the scenes. My best guess is either naming the school of business after Trump or his presidential library will be heading to LU, since Penn wants nothing to do with him.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Trump is doing a good job. Jerry Jr is doing a good job.

LU would be excellent venue for Presidential Library
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
bluedevilflame wrote:I’m guessing the reason JR makes these inflammatory remarks and never disagrees with Trump is that something is in the works behind the scenes. My best guess is either naming the school of business after Trump or his presidential library will be heading to LU, since Penn wants nothing to do with him.
:vomit
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
bluedevilflame wrote:I’m guessing the reason JR makes these inflammatory remarks and never disagrees with Trump is that something is in the works behind the scenes. My best guess is either naming the school of business after Trump or his presidential library will be heading to LU, since Penn wants nothing to do with him.
or the other way around. Trump gave him a leadership role in the Evangelical counsel. Even though he touts he's just a lawyer not a religious leader.

If they did that though... :roll: . I think Hillsdale will build the library.

Lastly,
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... a20faaa38a
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I’ve come to the conclusion that there are no honest reporters. Each one simply chooses what they want to believe and write, and then we consumers of news choose the truth we want to believe.

We are more divided now that at any time in our history since maybe, I don’t even know. The Civil War? So our citizens choose the truth they want to believe in. It’s postmodernism run amok.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I’ve come to the conclusion that there are no honest reporters. Each one simply chooses what they want to believe and write, and then we consumers of news choose the truth we want to believe.

We are more divided now that at any time in our history since maybe, I don’t even know. The Civil War? So our citizens choose the truth they want to believe in. It’s postmodernism run amok.
Woodward is about as trustworthy as they come. He is well-connected and sourced. Even Trump agrees:

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
JK37 wrote:I’ve come to the conclusion that there are no honest reporters. Each one simply chooses what they want to believe and write, and then we consumers of news choose the truth we want to believe.

Woodward is about as trustworthy as they come. He is well-connected and sourced. Even Trump agrees:

He used to be I agree.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:

There is literally a Trump tweet for all occasions. Its phenomenal really.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
adam42381 wrote:

There is literally a Trump tweet for all occasions. Its phenomenal really.
It’s pretty awesome. But Woodward has proven to be an author who writes which ever way the wind blows.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
If you were to believe his reporting, all corruption in DC over the past four decades has been from one party. :roll:

He's showing his age in recent work.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
When the public chooses their own truth, there’s less pressure on media to be accurate. If the public now demands their own version of the truth in place of unbiased objective truth, then media is driven toward clicks and buy’s more than truth.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]